Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Booking a Hilton Corp rate for a corporation for which you do not work

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2011, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Plat

I found a corporate code on retailmenot.com which knocked off about $20 per night at a Doubletree for one of my upcoming stays. Apparently, the Corporate Code belongs to General Electric (I do not work for GE). What do the experts think, will the hotel honor the rate when I check in or will they remove the discount and ask me to pay the rack rate?
Old Apr 14, 2011, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Some questions should never be asked. However, they have been asked quite frequently and a bit of search will certainly enlighten you.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 3:25 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Depends. They may ask for proof you are eligible for the rate. They may not. I've had both happen.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Hilton Gold, Lindy Award Winner (2013)
Why do you think you should book under a code that is clearly not applicable to you?

Just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you should.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA Gold; Marriott Lifetime Silver; IHG Plat Amb; Hilton Diamond
No expert here, but it seems that they could charge you rac rate, which is likely to be $20 or more HIGHER than what could get with advance purchase. I would sign up for the MVP program and use the MVP rate code, which is often the same as the advanced purchase or a few dollars higher, but refundable before a deadline. Plus, after 4 stays you'll be gold if you're not already.

https://www.hiltonhhonors.com/landingpages/mvp.aspx
Old Apr 16, 2011, 8:39 pm

Programs: HH Gold, GP Diamond, ICH Plat, SPG Gold, WN A List, National Exec
Originally Posted by hautecouTours
No expert here, but it seems that they could charge you rac rate, which is likely to be $20 or more HIGHER than what could get with advance purchase. I would sign up for the MVP program and use the MVP rate code, which is often the same as the advanced purchase or a few dollars higher, but refundable before a deadline. Plus, after 4 stays you'll be gold if you're not already.

https://www.hiltonhhonors.com/landingpages/mvp.aspx
+1 on MVP.

I normally use the MVP rate to book my rooms but if its not available I use my corp code and I rarely get asked for ID but it does happen on occasion.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 12:57 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, CO/Star Platinum/Gold, National Executive Elite
For one of the clients I worked at, my hotel stays with corporate rate may get sent to my client from the hotels. I don't know what my client will do with the report, but if they reconcile the report with the reimbursements, they will find some stays have never been reimbursed. If they look into it, they might be able to trace you down.

My client asked me to always use the corporate rate even if I am able to find a cheaper rate, becaue it is so much easier for them to balacne their book if the hotel stays use the corporate rate. Why would the rate code matter that much if they are not getting all the hotel stays information electronically from the hotel? I may be wrong on this assumption.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 3:50 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
I think that what the OP is thinking about doing is unethical. Wouldn't it be an embarrassing gamble if the desk clerk called you out at check in by asking for some sort of a company ID just to save you $20?
Old Apr 18, 2011, 11:18 pm

Just say you're a contractor for GE and they gave you the code. I've booked 100s of nights on my company rate, and I don't think anyone has ever asked to see my company ID.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by rickyriver
If they look into it, they might be able to trace you down.
And do what? Thank you for pumping up their spend so they get a better deal? Call the FTPPF?
Old Apr 19, 2011, 3:42 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, CO/Star Platinum/Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
And do what? Thank you for pumping up their spend so they get a better deal? Call the FTPPF?
I don't know. Maybe send you a check for the hotel reimbursement and an apology for not getting your expense reimbursed promptly.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by chimuelo
Just say you're a contractor for GE and they gave you the code. I've booked 100s of nights on my company rate, and I don't think anyone has ever asked to see my company ID.
Maybe you look more trustworthy and thus aren't being asked. I don't travel much at all for business and thus rarely use my company's codes, but I have on multiple occasions been asked for a business card or corporate ID. And (not a corporate rate, I know, but it's the same issue ultimately) just yesterday at a Hampton Inn I was asked for my AAA card since I had booked a AAA rate.

This is obviously not the first thread where this comes up, but it's every time disappointing (yet not surprising) to see that some people are willing to lie to get a discount they are not entitled to.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 3:21 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
There are many legitimate ways to reduce rates - MVP rates, offers, discounts, pay points at high-price properties. So, choose to use codes you aren't entitled to, and risk embarrassment when you can't produce decent credentials, and get charged the walk-up and highly inflated rack rate. Be sure to tell lots of people about your use of others' corporate codes you are not entitled to, so they can choose to do business with people with better ethics practices.

One could even go further - for example complain about every stay at a Hampton property - after all, there is always some little defect one can complain about - and have Hilton blacklist you. (Yes, it has happened.)
Old Apr 20, 2011, 9:10 am

I'll throw another vote in hat for MVP rates. In my limited experience, I've found prices $5 to $10 less than AAA. Awesome!
Old Apr 20, 2011, 9:16 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Curious somewhat OT ? How/where do you register for MVP rate?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.