Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Istanbul - Old Town {TUR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Istanbul - Old Town {TUR}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2011, 3:54 am

Programs: AF Frequence Plus Rouge pour toujours, BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, BW Rewards Diamond
You're right in the tourist area so there's an abundance of choices on the same street as the DT. Only thing is, being in the tourist are you'll have prices that are anything between 15 to 50% more than usual.

UTA
Old Aug 8, 2011, 5:20 pm

A short walking distance from the hotel is Suleymaniye Mosque. It is right by the University, NW corner of it. The Mosque is beautiful, inside and out. And there are quite a few simple outdoor restaurants with local flavor right by the Mosque. The food was good and the view was hard to beat. Rather than giving me the menu the waiter took me to the kitchen, to show "what's cooking" on the stove. I had to make my selections by pointing the finger at what looked good. Yum!
Old Aug 8, 2011, 9:53 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
In my opinion, one of the best sites for visitors to Turkey is Tom Brosnahan's Turkey Travel Planner <link>; Tom wrote the early Lonely Planet books on Turkey, spent some time before that as a Peace Corps Volunteer and is a most generous and knowledgeable guy - with his knowledge shared freely on his website.

Here's what he has to say about food - link. Check the links out! We love Turkish food - and for brunch yesterday in California had some nice menemen (yumurta, an omelet) with domates (tomatoes), beef sausage and beyaz peynir (feta cheese will do), served with olives, yoghurt, bread as close to ekmek as we can find on the side, and some nice çay.

Needless to say, fresh fish is a biggie in Istanbul (there are many fish restaurants on the Bosphorus banks), and kebaps are the universal fast food. The hazır yemek ready to eat restos are not half bad and economical to boot. smooth is on the money here... I'm ready for some su böreği for lunch tomorrow (pasta like lasagna with lamb).

(You won't find much pork in a Muslim country - though many upscale hotels and restaurants may offer it, chicken and beef substitutes will be offered as well. And be aware it's Ramadan right now and most Muslims will not eat, drink or smoke sunup to sundown, so some restaurants may be closed, and some visitors may feel mildly uncomfortable gorging whilst the help is fasting.

Same applies to lobster, shrimp and other critters that crawl on the bottom of the ocean - though again, a number of places catering to foreigners will offer them.)
Old Aug 9, 2011, 1:46 am

Programs: AF Frequence Plus Rouge pour toujours, BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, BW Rewards Diamond
Just a quick correction, Turkey is NOT a Muslim country. There is of course a large number of people with Islamic faith but there is no official state religion like in some Arab countries.

Turkey brew beer (Efes amongst others) and spirits, bacon and sausages are readily available at breakfast at the 2 Hiltons and the Conrad (have not sampled the DT yet).

UTA
Old Aug 15, 2011, 12:29 am

Programs: Miles Smiles
2 Doubletrees also they provides all alcoholic beverages even in room or restaurants & bars. Bacon and other kind of ham (pork) are served on a tasty and large open breakfast buffet. It`s true that Turkey is a laic country with 95% of people are muslim. But they have a european lifestyle. Don`t think that Fridays are public holidays. Contrarly to this; all people are going to make party on Istiklal Street or Bosphorus are all week-end long (Friday and Saturday). And Sundays are public holidays but most of shops and museums are open in Sunday. So; for sure all 4 and 5 star (and international chains) has local and international alcoholic drinks & pork...
Old Aug 29, 2011, 11:22 am

Programs: UA MMGold, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Plan to stay at DoubleTree Istanbul Old Town just for one night. Want to check my transportation option.

I used the Backpackers Limo last time in Istanbul, not very impressed. Had good experience with Havas bus from Taksim to IST but not sure if it stops at Old Town. Their webpage says it will make a stop at Aksaray, anyone can confirm that as I have no recollection if it made any stop. If so, how easy to get to DT Old Town from there?

Will make a reservation with a pickup service if Havas bus does not work out. Any other recommendations beside Backpackers?
Old Aug 29, 2011, 7:58 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Spouse stays free at all but Hamptons, as long as it is NOT part of a package that includes breakfast or other services bundled in on a ppdo rate - that does NOT include Gold or Diamond brekkies, so you are safe. Book for one, add "with spouse, spouse stays free" in the note and Bob should be your uncle.

This is true for ALL HHonors members. What it specifically says in HH T&Cs:

Spouse stays free in the Member's room on qualifying stays. This benefit excludes stays at Hampton Inn and Hampton Inn and Suites. This benefit does not apply at any hotel when the rate includes additional components (e.g., meals, activities, parking, etc.) that are quoted as a per person or per room charge.

Originally Posted by wendySFO
Some places do have practice to charge extra for the 2nd person. Agree it is annoying. I remember read it somewhere there is an HHonors policy that spouse stays free so people book as 1 person and invoke the spouse stay free policy. Not sure where to find the info but search for some old threads may help.QUOTE]

Great tip on the spouses stay for free, thanks! ^ I am an Honors member, but have generally stayed at SPG hotels for work the past few years, and so wasn't even aware of this benefit. I have read the consolidated "spouses stay for free" thread and it doesn't appear to be limited to Gold or upper tier members.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 3:08 am

Programs: LH Sen, AF/KL gold, AB platinum, BA silver, HHonors diamond, SPG gold, ...
Doubletree Old Town Parking?

Booked into the Double Tree Old Town shortly and arriving by rent-a-car. Anyone know if they have their own parking garage or if the complicated and time-consuming valet-parking is in place?
Old Aug 31, 2011, 2:30 am

Programs: FB Plat./BA Gold (thanks BD)/A3 *Gold/HH Diamond/A Club Gold
You are renting a car and self-driving in Istanbul Old Town?

You must be either Turkish or crazy or both as I know a lot of Turks who won't drive around there - Istanbul taffic is bad, Old Town Traffic and "streets" (well alleys at best) are out of this world.

I stayed recently across the road at the CP (not next time), and they had a Valet parking operation working - my colleague parked there.

I've never seen a self parking option anywhere in the area - either valet parking or the guys in Black that just take your keys and money.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 12:02 pm

Plan to stay at DoubleTree Istanbul Old Town just for one night. Want to check my transportation option.
Will make a reservation with a pickup service if Havas bus does not work out. Any other recommendations beside Backpackers?
I used pubic transportation to get from DT to the airport. It was unbelievably easy. I assume the same applies to the reverse route, from IST to DT hotel.
Take Metro from the airport to Zetinburnu station, walk a short distance to a different platform, transfer to the Tram line, and get off at Laleli-University stop, right in front of the hotel. IIRC, it took about 45 min. total to get from the hotel to the airport. Very easy and inexpensive.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 7:11 am
Suspended

I think Hilton is better
Old Sep 2, 2011, 12:29 am

Programs: AAExP, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat

I used the Backpackers Limo last time in Istanbul, not very impressed. Had good experience with Havas bus from Taksim to IST but not sure if it stops at Old Town. Their webpage says it will make a stop at Aksaray, anyone can confirm that as I have no recollection if it made any stop. If so, how easy to get to DT Old Town from there?

I used Backpackers for two tours - a group Bosphorusthat included a stop at the Spice Bazaar . And a tour with an individual guide - the other person who was supposed to go was not feeling well, and I had a private tour. She was very knowledgeable, and I learned a lot. As I had the one day, I definitely made the best of it.

I caught a taxi back to the airport. On the way to the DT I used a private car. It was not that much more than the taxi... and very nice after a long flight. All over Istanbul, I used the tram system... or I walked.

Taksim to Old Town requires a ferry crossing, I believe.. but it's doable, and someone at the hotel can advise on that - very helpful staff.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 11:06 am

Programs: LH Sen, AF/KL gold, AB platinum, BA silver, HHonors diamond, SPG gold, ...
Originally Posted by jsfr
I stayed recently across the road at the CP (not next time), and they had a Valet parking operation working - my colleague parked there.

That was the reason I asked: Valet parking at CP cost me a lot of time (waiting for the car to be returned). And I've already been charged for little damages to the rent-a-car that I couldn't remember having caused - after valet-parking in Istanbul.
An no, I'm not Turkish - but I like the City and it's people
Old Sep 12, 2011, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by PaxCGN
Booked into the Double Tree Old Town shortly and arriving by rent-a-car. Anyone know if they have their own parking garage or if the complicated and time-consuming valet-parking is in place?
Per the booking confirmation page, it has valet parking only and cost is 15 Euro.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by smooth
I used pubic transportation to get from DT to the airport. It was unbelievably easy. I assume the same applies to the reverse route, from IST to DT hotel.
Take Metro from the airport to Zetinburnu station, walk a short distance to a different platform, transfer to the Tram line, and get off at Laleli-University stop, right in front of the hotel. IIRC, it took about 45 min. total to get from the hotel to the airport. Very easy and inexpensive.
Thanks for FTers' suggestion on transportation to DT Old Town.

I had a one-night stay at this property. Took the Metro/Tram to the hotel and Taxi back to the airport. As smooth described, it is very easy and inexpensive for the Metro/Tram combo. Once out of the arrival hall, follow the direction to Metro. Go to the machine to get a token (2 LTR for Old Town) to get on the metro. Any train will do, no worry about which route. Get off at Zetinburnu station (6 stops) and change to tram to "Kabatas" or "Eminonu" direction. Need another ticket to get in. Board the tram and get off at Laleli-University. Once walk off the platform, walk to the side walk (do not go across the big street) and DT is just few steps from the tram stop. It also took me about 45 min. Tram was a bit crowded around 4PM but I did have a seat and no problem with luggage.

On my return, I got a taxi right outside of hotel. My stay was just a layover so I totally forgot about the warning of Istanbul taxi drivers don't use meters sometimes and I got one of those . At the airport, he asked for 35 LTR which was excessive as far as I know. This is the reason I don't like to take taxi. Public transit or arranged pickup service will be my choices from now on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.