Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Q1 2011 - Hilton Honors Promotion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Q1 2011 - Hilton Honors Promotion

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2010, 5:51 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
Pretty good for me as have a 7 nighter booked in Feb. Prob my last Hilton stay so will give me a good few points - reckon I'd be looking at over 100,000 points from one stay, possibly 150k
Old Nov 16, 2010, 2:05 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, AC E, HH Diamond
I wouldn't be impressed with this promo as most of my stays are typically 1 or 2 nights. However, I can see that this would benefit "night elites" or "point elites" as opposed to "stay elites". If this promo were true it could signal a shift in Hilton promos ideology from ones that encourage hotel hopping (such as the free cert after x number of stays) to promos that encourage longer stays (such as the current promo). Perhaps there is a backlash from hotel owners who have seen too many 1 night-hotel hopping guests.

The real problem for Hilton will be if Starwood, Marriott or Hyatt come up with a strong promo such as free night certs.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bobsyouruncle
I wouldn't be impressed with this promo as most of my stays are typically 1 or 2 nights. However, I can see that this would benefit "night elites" or "point elites" as opposed to "stay elites". If this promo were true it could signal a shift in Hilton promos ideology from ones that encourage hotel hopping (such as the free cert after x number of stays) to promos that encourage longer stays (such as the current promo). Perhaps there is a backlash from hotel owners who have seen too many 1 night-hotel hopping guests.
The whole Hilton program, not just the last few promos, encourages 1-night stays, because of Points + Miles, especially for those who use Points + Fixed Miles. Even though the Points part may go up with multi-night stays, the Fixed Miles part never does (and for Southwest, you can't do Variable Miles!).

So I've always hotel-hopped with Hilton because of the + Miles part, not because of the promo part. In fact, after many years of being in Hilton HHonors, I only did my first two-night stay at a Hilton HHonors property this past fall, due to the Sundays promo. (It took 4x points to overcome the fact that I would earn half the Southwest credits with this promo. I don't even know if 2x points would have done it.)

Furthermore, a lot of my trips where I can use Hilton HHonors properties are road trips where each night is hours of driving past the previous night, and so promo or no promo, staying even just 2 nights is usually out of the question. This one case I mentioned in the previous paragraph was a rare exception, where one town was in the middle of where I was traveling, and so was reasonably accessible for two nights a row. But I couldn't make it three nights (due to where I was on previous and successive nights), no matter how much I might have wanted more points.

(I need three consecutive hotel nights many weeks of the year in Orange County CA, but they're all paid on my own dime, and Hilton HHonors is these days never at all price competitive with, say, Priority Club in the Anaheim area. So I can't justify spending $$$/night instead of $$/night just to earn triple HHonors points, especially when the Priority Club promos are even better.)
Old Nov 18, 2010, 3:41 pm

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
I agree that this promo would be a big <yawn> if it is true, but I am waiting to see the official announcement before I go and complain.

To me, with the complete and utter devaluation of HH points, the only promos to me worth anything are those with Q3FN or similar certs, a-la Q2 promo :-: YMMV
Old Nov 18, 2010, 6:56 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
They are pretty much copying what SPG has been doing.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 2:40 am

Red face Hilton 1st quarter promotion

It sounds great to me, this Hilton promotion of quadruple points for 1st quarter 2011. I am someone who stays at hotels long term, and I have requested over and over that Hilton appropriately award those people who are loyal and don-t just stop in overnight but check in and stay awhile. I really hope your little birdie is correct so I can finalize my plans.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 2:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by sarah.telaviv
I am someone who stays at hotels long term
Shalom, Sarah, and welcome to FlyerTalk.

I, too, don't care if it is a two day stay or a two week stay. Once I get unpacked there is no way that I am going to go through the trouble of packing up again and moving to another hotel just to get some extra points or a higher status.

(I also don't get into aluminum tubes and fly to places just to turn around and fly back -- even if it would mean that I would be given a Diamond card instead of my current Platinum.)

Last edited by Dovster; Nov 22, 2010 at 2:30 am
Old Nov 20, 2010, 7:18 am

Programs: DL DM (and NRSA), UA NA, HH Dia, National Exec Elite
Another promotion that will screw people living out of extended stay hotels... Lovely
Old Nov 20, 2010, 5:56 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
It's clever of them to schedule this promo in Q1. Those of us who keep our status by stays probably don't know our entire year's hotel plans yet. In my case I have to decide if I should gamble on triple points now with the downide that I may have to book a couple of cheap stays late in the year for each Q1 three-day booking to keep Diamond in the future. I'll have to think about this...
Old Nov 21, 2010, 6:24 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by majorwibi
Another promotion that will screw people living out of extended stay hotels... Lovely

How would you reward them? 4x points isn't enough?
Old Nov 21, 2010, 9:24 am

Programs: DL PM 1.5 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Nice. I have travel already jelling for the first quarter and it is all stays of 3-4 days. If this becomes official, I'll make sure they are all for 4 days.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 1:04 pm

This works for me.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
I'll take anything given and be happy it was offered.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 11:36 pm

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
Originally Posted by Dovster
Shalom, Sarah, and welcome to FlyerTalk.

I, too, don't care if it is a two stay stay or a two week stay. Once I get unpacked there is no way that I am going to go through the trouble of packing up again and moving to another hotel just to get some extra points or a higher status.

(I also don't get into aluminum tubes and fly to places just to turn around and fly back -- even if it would mean that I would be given a Diamond card instead of my current Platinum.)
^. I will make an exception though if I might easily earn a Q3FN.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
As I do mostly one-night mattress-hops that would be a major downer!
no mattress hops for me but all my work related stays are 1 or 2 nights....based on this i am not going to get much out of this promo....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.