Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Late Check Out" thread

Old Nov 7, 2000, 12:30 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle

Im wondering what you all consider to be a reasonable time limit for granting a late check-out to a frequent guest. I guess Im interested in knowing both what your experiences have been and what you consider to be a reasonable limit.

I think its pretty clear that 1400-1500hs is standard at most large hotel chains today. Of course, it depends on how full the property is running on that date (among other things). Comments ??

------------------
Gaucho100K
Old Nov 7, 2000, 8:06 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

4:00 seems good and reasonable - just enough time for a proper cleaning!
Old Nov 7, 2000, 8:49 am
Original Member

As you said, so much depends on how full the hotel is that night.

One thing to keep in mind, as an elite we get room upgrades, which means we tend to get the prime rooms.

So if the hotel is full that night or close to full, who would be waiting for our room?

Most likely it will be another elite.

As Elites, in addition to late check-out we also from time to time like early check-in.

I think in a full hotel 4:00pm would be pushing it.

Old Nov 7, 2000, 9:15 am

Programs: USAir AA Hilton
I never really have problems with a 1400 checkout - beyond that tends to get sticky, depending on day of week/reservations. It's unusual I would be able to take advantage of a late checkout, so I haven't made the attempt THAT often...
Old Nov 7, 2000, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I rarely ask for after 2pm, and am rarely denied. Very occasionally, I'll ask for later, and only if they say no will I say "oh I thought the 4pm checkout was a benefit of the Platinum program (SPG), etc..." Only once was I flatly refused and told to be out of the room at 1. I think 2pm is reasonable.
Old Nov 7, 2000, 9:46 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I have never been able to get a late check out past 1:00 PM at any Hilton I've stayed at.

I've also had very bad luck with early check in.
Old Nov 7, 2000, 10:57 am

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Do Hilton elites get a guaranteed late checkout like SPG elites?
Old Nov 7, 2000, 11:59 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, AA Gold MM, Hilton LTD, Marriott LTP, Hertz PC
I've never had a prblem with late checkout at Hilton the few times I've requested it. Even as late as 1700.
Old Nov 7, 2000, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle

Thanks for all your input. I did request a very late checkout (1900hs) this weekend at the Conrad Singapore. Im a HHonors gold, and have stayed at that Conrad a over a dozen (12+) times there in the past 12 calendar months.

They said no, and told me that they would have to charge me a half-day. It wasnt the charge that bothered me, it was the fact that they told me they where very full and that they would need my room yes or yes by 1400hs. That urge suddenly dissapeared when to the agents surprise I said, "OK. Go ahead and bill me, I will stay until 1900".

Besides, just to check, as soon as I got back to my room I called Hilton reservations to book a room (that same day), and they said they still had a room for me....

I dunno, maybe Im just too picky but I still think thats no way to treat a HH Gold VIP member. If you wanna charge me, thats fine, say it straight to my face. I dont need lame excuses.

Its things like this (and several others) that make this 50+ per year hotel stays traveller begin to wonder what Im doing giving an estimated 16 stays to Hilton this year. Ive now been comped to Hyatt Diamond, so its a no-brainer where my Hilton stays are going to go next year.

------------------
Gaucho100K
Old Nov 7, 2000, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

Oh.. by the way, I was not in a premium room, it was a standard room with lounge access.
Old Nov 8, 2000, 3:55 am
Original Member

Location: In protest of Flyertalk's uncalledfor censoring of my point of view, I cancelled my InsideFlyer subscription. So long, and thanks for everything.
The best I can ever do is ask for 4pm, and actually check out closer to 5 without penalty.

Busy properties will give you the half day speech at the drop of a hat.

With properties such as the San Fransisco Hilton, I no longer even try. I tell them I'm going to shower and change after my work day before my flight, charge whatever you want. They usually bill me $160 to stay till 6pm - but I don't feel like a beggar.

This has always been an inconsistent benefit for VIP's, having much more to do with who you speak to than any policy.

As a suggestion, rather than calling the front desk, if you were left a personalized letter/note in your room welcoming you to the proiperty, call whoever signed it. They always ask to be contacted if anything can be done to help you.

Old Apr 29, 2001, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Late Checkout Hypocrisy

Hilton Garden Inn - Philadelphia (Although this scene has happened elsewhere, too). Called for a late checkout this AM - asked for 3p. She said "we are full tonight, you have to leave at noon. I said, I thought a late checkout was a gold benefit. She said it was, but they are full - 1p latest. I asked for 2p, PLEASE. She said if it was any later, they were going to charge me $.

WHAT I DON'T GET is if you are really that full, you need me out of there early notwithstanding my desire or lack thereof to pay additional charges. They were "willing" to let me stay one extra hour for $40. Yet, they were so full they really needed me out at noon (then 1p). What a crock.

Otherwise, the hotel was pretty nice - basic, good price, good location, my room was decent, etc.
Old Apr 30, 2001, 12:30 pm

Location: MCI. AA Plat, UA PrmEx., Mrrtt Gold, Hz Pres.Circle, HHonors Gold
If I even remotely *think* I might want to check-out late, I ask for it when I check in. Since I only ask for 1 or 2PM, they almost always okay it right then and there. Most of the time, when I've called them from my room on the morning of check-out, I get the "we're full tonight" line and they insist that I get out by noon. I've noticed that my status hasn't had much affect here...

I get the sense that the front desk probably gets quite a few phone calls in the morning requesting late check-out. If they aren't in a good mood, they probably just start saying no to everyone.
Old May 1, 2001, 11:06 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM 4MM, Lifetime Marriott Plat Elite, HH Diamond
Push the issue about the benefits of HHonors membership. After educating the staff member, most of the times you will get what is promised. Failing that, talk to the manager, most front desk staff don't seem to fully understand the industry they are trying to serve/
Old May 1, 2001, 11:15 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
Another way to get their attention: Call up to make a reservation for same type of room (or 2) you are in. (Don't actually make reservation) If they have rooms, then you can counter the "we are full" response.

I think the "full" response is more a ploy to fend off complaints frequently.

Same technique when they have "no upgrades".

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.