Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Late Check Out" thread

Consolidated "Late Check Out" thread

Old Jan 11, 2005, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I almost never ask for a late checkout and when I have I've almost always been met with resistance of some kind.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 2:30 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
My luck with late checkout is terrible. I dont ask much but it seems like whenever I do it is "oh we have a huge group coming in tomorrow". I must say one thing that is better as a plat with SPG is the 4pm checkout and havent had as much of a problem getting it as I have getting a little ole hour as I do with a lot of Hiltons. If it is a resort property of any program I dont even try.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 2:43 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Late check out is not a perk of HH and I wish it could be and maybe pro-rated to your status.

My approach is to ask for way more than I need and settle for what I really need. Just seems to be an impossible request sometimes, even for an hour!
Old Jan 11, 2005, 2:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mcgahat
If it is a resort property of any program I dont even try.
Yeah...I forgot about that one. "Sorry, we're a resort property. We don't give late checkouts." What...because you have two swimming pools instead of the one that most properties have, you don't do late checkout? Or is it the tennis court that makes it impossible to give me one extra hour?

I cringe every time I see a hotel slap "resort" in the name. I look at it as a euphemism for "We're going to cram extra charges on your bill and not honor parts of the frequent-stay program."

(FWIW, this rant isn't directed specifically at HHonors hotels.)
Old Jan 11, 2005, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by jan_az
I am thinking the fact that it was Dec 30 may have had something to do with it. I know some people in Hampton like hotels recieived no maid service on that day - the hotel was probably operating with a mininal crew and needed to get your room cleaned up befoe they could let all the maids go for the night
OT query: I can understand people wanting to leave their work place early on the afternoon of Dec 31, afterall that's New Year's Eve. But what was so special about Thursday, Dec 30? At least here in southern Oklahoma it was just another day.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 4:51 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Here in California, it was the penultimate day of the year. And rainy, as I recall.

Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
OT query: I can understand people wanting to leave their work place early on the afternoon of Dec 31, afterall that's New Year's Eve. But what was so special about Thursday, Dec 30? At least here in southern Oklahoma it was just another day.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 5:34 pm

No problems so far

I have asked for late checkouts at many hotels and cannot remember being denied at any hotel, regardless of status (ok, I don't recall ever asking at a "resort" hotel). I *did* have a recent time where I asked for a 1:30PM checkout and was told I could only have until 1PM per hotel policy. Since I had been staying at this Hilton for several months and had asked for and received a 1:30PM late checkout many times (and never had it questioned), I politely made that point and was given the 1:30PM checkout. BTW, I'm Diamond with Hilton, but I don't know if that had anything to do with it.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 6:00 pm

Gee

I never even bother calling if I plan to check out before 1PM. I generally call if I am requesting a 2PM or later checkout. I primarily stay at Marriott (Silver Elite) and Hyatt (Platinum Elite) chains via Priceline.

Hilton (Gold Elite) seems to be the most uptight about these things, although when I stayed at some TN and NC Hamptons this summer on reward stays, there was no urgency to get me out of the room.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by JDiver
Here in California, it was the penultimate day of the year. And rainy, as I recall.
OK - you're right. Dec 30 was not just any ol' day, even in this li'l backwater place it was the penultimate day of 2004.

But I still want to know - does maid service in California really stop on that day? Do you think I can convince my husband and kids it applies in Texomaland? Gees. I wish someone would have told me about this sooner.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 9:23 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat. WOH Glob. SQ Gold
The Auckland Hilton and the Asian Conrads are the only Hilton Family Hotels where I've been given no-fuss late checkouts.

Normally, I'm made to feel like I've asked to sleep with the Manager's daughter.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 12:30 am

Programs: LH SEN, Hilton Diamond, AF/KL & BA basic memberships, Tufty Club Exec Plutonium
Originally Posted by chad75
The Auckland Hilton and the Asian Conrads are the only Hilton Family Hotels where I've been given no-fuss late checkouts.

Normally, I'm made to feel like I've asked to sleep with the Manager's daughter.
AKL offered me a 2.00pm for an extra $50 NZD. Now I must admit the Hong Kong Conrad offered me a late check-out automatically on arrival, of up to 4pm. Needless to say, I checked out at 7am

Islington and Amsterdam are the only two which seem to have no problem with the idea of the ones where I have asked.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 5:47 am

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
We asked for a late check-out at the Cardiff, Wales Hilton last year and Wendy, the lady in the Executive lounge, cheerfully gave us 3 hours. Didn't try the poeple at the front desk, who seemed a little clueless about some things.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 9:05 am

I always used to have no problem with this until a stay at the Hilton Paddington. The desk clerk was astonished I would make a request for an extra hour. I mentioned that it had never been a problem before in any other Hilton and he replied that he had worked in many London hotels over 15 years and no-one had ever been able to extend checkout for free - EVER!

That was my last stay at that particular hotel. Incidentally when staying at SPG properties they often ask me if I'd like a late check out, not the other way around!
Old Jan 21, 2005, 4:23 am

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
Smile

Late checkout at Hiltons has been a problem -the only thing I miss of SPG is the 4pm checkout.
However have made diamond this year and am 4 out of 4 for late checkouts!
Have just stayed at my favourite airport hotel-Hilton Narita.As planes to Australia leave at night we like to get the 5 pm shuttle.As gold I could get a 3pm checkout generally but as diamond was offered 5pm before asking.This is listed as costing 50% of roomrate normally so a great benefit.Was able to spend the whole day in Narita town which we enjoy.
Hoping the run continues.
Old Jan 21, 2005, 4:58 am

never had problem with late checkout in Hiltons of Germany, France, or Spain. in UK sometime less extra time is given, but still okay. my problems for late checkout were in SPG at Sheraton in Germany and Westin in USA two times with gold card.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.