Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Aberdeen City Centre {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 21, 2015, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Skimanant
This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below!

DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre
Beach Boulevard, Aberdeen AB24 5EF, United Kingdom
Tel: +44 1224 633 339

Check-in: 15:00 | Check-out: 11:00

Facilities
  • Lounge (Platinum wing) -August 2015 not an exec lounge. No drinks available.
  • Breakers Beauty Spa -August 2015 Gym only
  • Fitness room, pool, sauna, steam room, and whirlpool -August 2015 Pool closed.
  • Conference rooms
  • Footdees and The Conservatory restaurants
  • Laundry/valet service
  • Baggage storage
  • Room service
  • Forex exchange
  • Business centre, fax, copying etc, video conferencing

Hotel policies
  • Pets: Allowed (max weight 34kg) subject to non-refundable deposit of Ł35.00
  • Smoking: Non smoking property advertised; actual unverified
  • Parking: Self parking, free; No valet

HHonors Reward Category 4

The Doubletree comprises of two adjacent properties, the atrium wing in the DoubleTree proper and the Platinum annex. Both have dedicated check-in desks located in their respective reception areas.

Getting to the DoubleTree
From Aberdeen Railway Station, Guild Street
1.0 mi | 20 minutes by foot

By foot
Exit the station and turn right on to Guild Street, head in the direction of the harbour, then a left on to Market Street. Follow Market Street up the hill to the junction of Union Street. Turn right on to Union Street and continue towards Castle Street. You'll see the castellated Salvation Army Citadel straight ahead. Continue past the Citadel on Justice Street. At the roundabout at the foot of Justice Street, turn right (anti-clockwise) and take the fourth exit onto Beach Boulevard. Continue along Beach Boulevard for 0.3 mi, then turn left into Links Road. The DoubleTree is clearly signposted at the junction of Links Road and Beach Boulevard.

By bus
Bus 13 Pink Line (operated by First Aberdeen) for Golf Links. Buses operate between Union Street and Links Road every 20 minutes throughout the day Monday to Friday, and less frequently after 6pm. The service runs every 30 minutes on Saturday and Sundays.

Bus 15 Salmon Line (operated by First Aberdeen) for Sea Beach. Buses operate between Union Street and Beach Boulevard every 30 minutes throughout the day but does not run after 7pm.

Check First Aberdeen's website for current timetables http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/aberdeen/

Adult bus fares are around Ł2.50 single. You just pay as you board but expect to tender exact change. You can overpay but you will not receive change.

By taxi
The short run from the station to the hotel costs approximate Ł8 by taxi. Taxis are metered by distance and time so the fare will vary slightly depending on traffic conditions.

From Union Square Bus Station
1.0 mi | 20 minutes by foot

If you are arriving by intercity coach, just follow the directions from the Railway Station above. The two stations are adjacent.

From Aberdeen Airport (ABZ)
7.2 mi | Drive time 20 minutes in good traffic

By taxi
Fares are metered by time and distance. Expect to pay between Ł15 and Ł20 depending on traffic.

By bus
Jet 727 (operated by Stagecoach Bluebird) to Union Square.
Journey time: approx 30 minutes
Fares: Ł2.70 adult single | Ł4.50 adult return

This limited stopping service runs between the Airport and Union Square at Guild Street. The stop nearest to the DoubleTree is at Marischal College on Broad Street, a grand silver granite landmark, iconic of the city. Buses run every 20 minutes throughout the day (Monday to Saturday) and every 30 minutes evenings and Sundays. You continue your journey to the hotel by bus from Union Street (Bus 13 or 15)

Bus 27 (operated by First Aberdeen) to Union Square
Fares: Ł2.50 adult single | Ł1.10 child single
Journey time: approx 50 minutes
First Aberdeen operates its own service between the Airport and Guild Street, the number 27. It follows a different and more scenic route into the city centre but this service is infrequent (Monday to Friday, morning and afternoon peak only), takes a lengthy circuitous loop on approach to the airport and may not suit your schedule. Alight at Union Street and catch a 13 or 15 from there to the hotel.

Arriving by car
The DoubleTree has a large surface car park; there is additional parking around the back at the Platinum annex.

Locality

Despite what the hotel's name tells us, it is not really in the city centre. It is, however perfectly positioned for the beach and the numerous entertainment activities spread along the Esplanade.
  • Beach Leisure Centre (public pool and gym)
  • Transition Extreme Sports (indoor climbing wall, skateboarding, and outdoor assault course)
  • Cineworld movie theatre with a variety of chain eateries (Jimmy Chungs, Frankie & Benny's, Pizza Hut, and Burger King)
  • Inversnecky Cafe - An Aberdonian institution, established in 1908. Next door is the Pavilion Cafe
  • Cadona's Pleasure Fair

At the southern tip of the Esplanade lies Footdee (locally known as Fittie), a charming village that dates back to the C14th. When the weather is fair, the stroll from the hotel along the Esplanade through Fittie towards the Marine Operation Tower at the mouth of the River Dee is delightful. While it was once possible to walk the full length of the north breakwater now only a small section is accessible to the public. If you enjoy seafood the Silver Darling restaurant is a must. Reservations are essential.

Shopping:
There is a basic retail park directly across the road from the hotel. You can pick up groceries, toiletries, beer/wine/spirits and other essentials at the Asda superstore.

Trending threads relating to local Hilton Family properties:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hhonors/1440628-aberdeen-uk-hilton-doubletree-hgi.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hhonors/1468212-review-hilton-garden-inn-aberdeen-city-centre-wiki.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hhonors/126709-hilton-aberdeen-treetops.html
Print Wikipost

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Aberdeen City Centre {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2015, 3:10 pm

Programs: HH - Diamond BA - Blue
Yep, from a 2013 snapshot of their website from archive.org;

"This Central Aberdeen hotel features the private and luxurious Platinum Club. Unwind in a spacious room with an inviting lounge area providing WiFi, plasma screen TV and complimentary soft drinks, fresh milk and chocolates from the mini-bar. Enjoy access to the exclusive Club Lounge which offers a complimentary arrival drink and nibbles."

"Our hotel within a hotel, The Platinum Club is located to the rear of the main hotel building and offers a VIP experience. With a dedicated entrance and reception area, you can also enjoy the exclusive use of the bar and complimentary wireless internet access. As a guest of the Platinum Club, you can look forward to a host of added benefits. Soak up sea views whilst enjoying a Scottish or continental breakfast in the lounge."
Old Aug 12, 2015, 3:16 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by chrism20
It's as if the intention has been to turn it into a full Hilton with the platinum wing being the Exec wing and the lounge actually being the Exec lounge and then decided not to bother and make it a DT instead.

There is certainly no logic to it that's for sure. They must also employ a second chef to man the platinum breakfast as when I asked for a poached egg the last time I was there a chef suddenly appeared from the booth behind the bar and poached an egg. It must seriously cost them a fortune in manpower alone.

Only been to treetops once this year and it was ok. They have had some work done to the building recently though as when I passed it back in June there was scaffolding up. Not sure if it was repairs to the structure or a touch up of the paint.

I haven't been to Dunblane for about two years, is it still a Nick Nairn restaurant? IIRC it was very good.
Still Nick Nairn, although not managed to eat dinner there, last visit they were full and advised me to eat elsewhere!

A brief walk down into Dunblane gives quite a few good options, the Riverside is very good and Cafe Continental is also excellent.

I like the Hydro be used it on and off since 2000!
Was glad to see it come back to Hilton after its wilderness period!
Old Aug 12, 2015, 3:18 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by lifetimeblue
Yep, from a 2013 snapshot of their website from archive.org;

"This Central Aberdeen hotel features the private and luxurious Platinum Club. Unwind in a spacious room with an inviting lounge area providing WiFi, plasma screen TV and complimentary soft drinks, fresh milk and chocolates from the mini-bar. Enjoy access to the exclusive Club Lounge which offers a complimentary arrival drink and nibbles."

"Our hotel within a hotel, The Platinum Club is located to the rear of the main hotel building and offers a VIP experience. With a dedicated entrance and reception area, you can also enjoy the exclusive use of the bar and complimentary wireless internet access. As a guest of the Platinum Club, you can look forward to a host of added benefits. Soak up sea views whilst enjoying a Scottish or continental breakfast in the lounge."
Carefully worded, but sadly no longer accurate. So it sounds like it was intended to be an "Exec Lounge" of sorts
Old Aug 12, 2015, 3:25 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

http://theabilitygroup.com/portfolio...lton-aberdeen/

If anyone from the Hotel is reading this, drop the in room minibar and well travelled full breakfast from the Platinum building. Replace with a proper exec lounge with access free to Gold and Diamonds and payable upgrade to others. Use the person sat on the desk to maintain and cut costs accordingly!
Old Aug 12, 2015, 3:30 pm

Programs: HH - Diamond BA - Blue
Originally Posted by adobbing
Carefully worded, but sadly no longer accurate. So it sounds like it was intended to be an "Exec Lounge" of sorts
Yep, but never an actual exec lounge presumably so they didn't have to follow the brand guidelines for one.

The "host of added benefits" now seems to be 3 cans of coke and a chocolate bar if you're lucky, in a slightly larger room than the main building.

"Soak up sea views whilst enjoying a Scottish or continental breakfast in the lounge." sounds like breakfast might actually have been included with the room rate at one stage.

Ah well. Look forward to see how they can penny pinch further, it almost becomes entertaining to watch. Maybe the complimentary soft drinks will be replaced with a voucher to get one free soft drink per room per stay from the main bars syrup skooshy gun
Old Aug 12, 2015, 3:41 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by lifetimeblue
Yep, but never an actual exec lounge presumably so they didn't have to follow the brand guidelines for one.

The "host of added benefits" now seems to be 3 cans of coke and a chocolate bar if you're lucky, in a slightly larger room than the main building.

"Soak up sea views whilst enjoying a Scottish or continental breakfast in the lounge." sounds like breakfast might actually have been included with the room rate at one stage.

Ah well. Look forward to see how they can penny pinch further, it almost becomes entertaining to watch. Maybe the complimentary soft drinks will be replaced with a voucher to get one free soft drink per room per stay from the main bars syrup skooshy gun
If they can cut costs and improve the offer I'm all for it, but it seems they've tried squeezing both ends of the sausage at the same time!

As much as I dislike paying for parking they could do with some control as from my "car park view" room I watched at least 5 people drive in park up then walk towards town. Charge them Ł5 you've covered the bacon tax for 2.5 guests!
Old Aug 12, 2015, 5:43 pm

The car parking doesn't surprise me as on street parking charges in Aberdeen apply until 8pm everyday except a Sunday when they are something silly like 1pm until 6pm.

A barrier would solve that problem.

As for the penny pinching the next thing to go will probably be the fresh milk that they put in the rooms.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 2:12 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

The car parking doesn't surprise me as on street parking charges in Aberdeen apply until 8pm everyday except a Sunday when they are something silly like 1pm until 6pm.

A barrier would solve that problem.

As for the penny pinching the next thing to go will probably be the fresh milk that they put in the rooms.

Stayed again the other day, upgraded to platinum wing.
Seems that they are no longer using the platinum wing for breakfast, I was told it is now served in the main building.
I think they may have also dropped the bacon tax as I wasn't asked to pay any extra for cooked.

The in room minibar had 2 cokes, 1 fizzy orange, 1 chocolate bar and 2 waters.
No sign of any fresh milk!

Didn't eat in dinner in the hotel, did get a letter about a meet the manager evening drinks do, but gave it a swerve.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 3:40 pm

Stayed again the other day, upgraded to platinum wing.
Seems that they are no longer using the platinum wing for breakfast, I was told it is now served in the main building.
I think they may have also dropped the bacon tax as I wasn't asked to pay any extra for cooked.

The in room minibar had 2 cokes, 1 fizzy orange, 1 chocolate bar and 2 waters.
No sign of any fresh milk!

Didn't eat in dinner in the hotel, did get a letter about a meet the manager evening drinks do, but gave it a swerve.
I'm quite glad about breakfast being moved TBH as it should in theory be fresher with only one buffet rather than two. Sounds like the lack of oil cash is starting to bite though.

Shame about the milk but at least there was no charge for the hot breakfast.

I'm in Aberdeen this weekend but at the TT! Must have been mad to stay there rather than here, however it was Ł34.85 in the flash sale
Old May 2, 2016, 3:52 am

Just getting ready to checkout of here after a quick one night stay (have been in Aberdeen three nights though - Friday at HGI, Saturday at Holiday Inn AECC, then here on Sunday).

Upgraded to the platinum wing with room on the top floor with sea view which is a nice change as the last two visits have been corner disabled rooms on the ground floor so no view.

Breakfast is still in the main building which is far better IMO although why they appear to have squeezed everyone into a little section rather than using the full restaurant is beyond me. It wasn't busy last night - rates fell a few days ago for last night so had the place been full it would have been unbearable. There is a bean to cup coffee machine in the restaurant now and this was pointed out to us as we were seated - is this new? Can't remember from previous visits.

No charge for hit items at breakfast so that appears to have stopped.
No fresh milk in the room but was provided on request, usual free drinks in fridge.

Stayed on dinner rate booked during the last flash sale. The menu has been 'Enhanced' since my post last year and half the dishes are gone and it's now pretty uninspiring although the lamb was tasty. Supplements are now in place for some dishes - scallops, steak and cheese IIRC so they gave perhaps introduced this and removed the bacon tax.

Not a bad visit overall but it's certainly lost its shine a bit. Many hotels are currently refurbishing up here at the moment so the DT my find itself getting left behind.
Old May 28, 2017, 3:09 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Any recent experience here, I'm staying this week and wondered what awaits me.
I'm booked into a king premier room and wondering what if any upgrade a diamond can now expect?
Old May 28, 2017, 3:58 am

Any recent experience here, I'm staying this week and wondered what awaits me.
I'm booked into a king premier room and wondering what if any upgrade a diamond can now expect?
Had five or six stays this year, last one was three nights over the May Day weekend.

Have been upgraded to a platinum room every time usually after check-in time the day before arrival so OLCI usually shows the booked room options to start with. The exception to this was the May weekend when it was upgraded about eight days out but one night was fully booked so I think they were just looking ahead tbh.

Nothing exciting status wise tbh. Couple of cans of Coke in the fridge and a bar of chocolate and that's about it.

Breakfast is in the main building almost all the time now unless the hotel is full in which case the Plat wing dining area is also used. They have bean to cup coffee machines now so the coffee is much improved at breakfast.

The DBB rate is usually pretty attractive here
Old May 28, 2017, 9:08 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Had five or six stays this year, last one was three nights over the May Day weekend.

Have been upgraded to a platinum room every time usually after check-in time the day before arrival so OLCI usually shows the booked room options to start with. The exception to this was the May weekend when it was upgraded about eight days out but one night was fully booked so I think they were just looking ahead tbh.

Nothing exciting status wise tbh. Couple of cans of Coke in the fridge and a bar of chocolate and that's about it.

Breakfast is in the main building almost all the time now unless the hotel is full in which case the Plat wing dining area is also used. They have bean to cup coffee machines now so the coffee is much improved at breakfast.

The DBB rate is usually pretty attractive here
Thanks.

Sounds like most of the issues such as the repealing of the bacon tax, have been resolved.
To me bean to cup coffee machines are definitely the way forward, as it means you can get a decent cup of coffee, without giving them the opportunity to try and pretend your getting something that justifies an extra charge.
Looked at the menu online, doesn't look anything special so make go for a stroll into town.
Old May 28, 2017, 5:20 pm

Thanks.

Sounds like most of the issues such as the repealing of the bacon tax, have been resolved.
To me bean to cup coffee machines are definitely the way forward, as it means you can get a decent cup of coffee, without giving them the opportunity to try and pretend your getting something that justifies an extra charge.
Looked at the menu online, doesn't look anything special so make go for a stroll into town.
Nope, no sign of a bacon tax so you should be fine

Bean to cup is definitely the way forward, I particularly like them as I can fire another double espresso into a latte.

The menu has changed a bit from the one online IIRC, nothing drastic though. I didn't think it was that bad tbh. With the exception of Dunblane it's probably the best DT menu in Scotland imo. If you do decide to risk it I recommend the duck or the lamb - both are very nice.

I'm staying at the new Hampton in Dundee this week, apparently it has a full restaurant rather than the usual microwaved bar meals so this should be interesting.
Old May 30, 2018, 1:31 am

Environmental Health Officer visit

This property has made the headlines for the wrong reasons following a visit from the health authorities. More than 100 containers of out of date or unfit food binned during the visit.

I must admit being a semi regular at this property that I’m quite shocked.

https://www.thecaterer.com/articles/...safety-records
hugolover likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.