Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

A Father's Story (Why we do what we do)

Old May 12, 2009, 5:28 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

You can imagine my excitement when my son announced he was going to ask his beautiful girlfriend to marry him. After the jubilation; the next thing that came to my mind was honeymoon. After many years as a Hilton HHonors Member, I was sitting on a boat load of points to help the new couple out with the honeymoon.

The wedding was last weekend, my new daughter in law and son took off on Saturday morning for their adventure.

All of the hotels were booked with Hilton and the results were nothing short of spectacular. Each location they were met with the proper room, flowers, and either wine or champagne (courtesy of the hotel) and breakfast vouchers. They stayed at 4 different properties; and the welcome and treatment was the same level at each property. (All of this, because I entered the a comment about it being my son's and daughter-in-laws honeymoon in the remarks box on the reservation. They read it and went over the top for me, their customer.)

All of you who spend 120 nights a year on the road, often feel the same way I do, WHY? Last week, it was suddenly all worthwhile. Parents know that when your kids are little, it is pretty easy to be a magic parent for them; as they get older, the opportunities become fewer and fewer. Thanks to Hilton for making me a "magic dad."

Special thanks and hats off to
Hampton Savannah (Bay Street)
Waldorf Astoria Key West
Double-tree Asheville, NC

You made it all worthwhile! You can call me, A customer for life.

Last edited by underpressure; May 12, 2009 at 5:38 pm
Old May 12, 2009, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
How can one not open a header with such a different flavor?

Great story--and congratulations, underpressure!!!
Old May 12, 2009, 6:08 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Delta PM, SPG Gold
That's great, it's a good experience like this that makes up for the occasional mishap, poor lounge, or rude desk staff.
Old May 12, 2009, 6:17 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by moman
That's great, it's a good experience like this that makes up for the occasional mishap, poor lounge, or rude desk staff.
I tend to agree and it is nice to hear something good every now and then.
Old May 12, 2009, 6:41 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by underpressure
Special thanks and hats off to
Hampton Savannah (Bay Street)
Waldorf Astoria Key West
Double-tree Asheville, NC
I think there are two Waldorf-Astoria's in Key West... The Reach and The Casa Marina... Which did you book?
Old May 12, 2009, 6:52 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bkafrick
I think there are two Waldorf-Astoria's in Key West... The Reach and The Casa Marina... Which did you book?
Without getting into details, The Reach.
Old May 12, 2009, 6:59 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moman
and that is my point... those of us who do serious travel of 100+ nights p/a in hotels often wonder if the extra walk from the Hilton Seoul to the Train Station is worth it (for example) or the stay ten miles from the customer instead of their "recommended" hotel that is next door.

I suppose my thoughts are centered on the fact that as loyal Hilton customers we do lots for the extra points and stuff; and it is just great when everything happens like we hope it does with a simple comment on the reward reservation it is really appreciated and suddenly makes all the crap worthwhile.

Now remember, the crowd that I am speaking to is the serious travelers. We are gone from home more than we are at home. Their is a huge guilt factor that comes with this kind of schedule and when it all works out, it makes it all a little less painful for the ones that we love and who love us.

The point being is that we slip in and out of these hotels without a word. We are often too busy to say thanks and too quick to ..... when the muffin isn't warm. Most of the time, we either skip breakfast or get it in a bag from Hampton.
Old May 12, 2009, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, Hhonors Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold
A Daughter's Tale

I have to agree with Underpressure (and by the way, congrat's to you son!).

I had a reward stay last weekend at Doubletree Club in Orange county. Took my Mom there for her birthday weekend getaway. I must have made a note that it was her birthday when I made the reservations (althougth it must have been brief, as I don't remember it). So imagine her surprise when we walked into the room at 10:00pm and there was a "HAPPY BIRTHDAY" banner across the bathroom/closet doorway. (I personally would have walked right under it). Along with a dozen red roses in bud vases all over the room, and rose petals all over the bathroom. "Oh look, they knew it was my birthday!".

Too many nights to count in hotels, 75,000 HHonors Points, surprising Mom on her birthday, Priceless.........

Thanks to the few really customer service minded people who go above and beyond and really make your day.
Old May 13, 2009, 7:59 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by LongingForORD
...imagine her surprise when we walked into the room at 10:00pm and there was a "HAPPY BIRTHDAY" banner across the bathroom/closet doorway. (I personally would have walked right under it). Along with a dozen red roses in bud vases all over the room, and rose petals all over the bathroom. "Oh look, they knew it was my birthday!".
There's a hotel staff that really goes above and beyond.

My story:

We sent a much loved niece to the Hilton Moorea for her honeymoon two weeks ago. This was the Congolesan franc mistake when the hotel first came online into the Hilton system in January. I prepaid the bill in its entirety in advance, letting staff know they were on their honeymoon. Not only did the hotel graciously honor the mistake, they gave the couple an upgraded view over the water bungalow, as well as rose petals on the bed and a bottle of champagne. It was the honeymoon she'd dreamed of since she was a little girl, thanks to Hilton.
Old May 13, 2009, 8:28 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Similarly, my daughter got married in NYC last year and had her honeymoon in Montreal, but I was able to use points for their wedding night before their flight out at the Waldorf=Astoria. I advised the Diamond desk at the hotel and they were given a suite with a fireplace and jacuzzi, and there was a bottle of bubbly waiting for them as well.
Old May 13, 2009, 9:07 am

Programs: US SD, HH Silver, MR Silver, Hertz #1G
Great stories, all. Congratulations to your son.
Old May 13, 2009, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Congrats to everyone!

Okay, I have a question from a new dad: We have four-month old twins who refuse to sleep through the night. This thread has given me an idea: where would you guys recommend that we send the twins using our points so that we can get some sleep?

Mike
Old May 13, 2009, 9:56 am

Programs: AA, SWA, CO, UA, PC Plat, HH Gold, SPG
Talking

Great stories all - and congratulations to the posters AND Hilton for some wonderful memories for those involved.

mikeef - keep them on the East coast!!! Reminds me of the story about the women who had a dog walk into her house when she opened the door. It went down the hall and curled up and went to sleep. It had a collar and was well groomed and she just let it sleep. The same thing happened the next several days. Finally she put on note on the collar hoping whoever owned the dog would see it.

The next day the dog showed up as usual and there was a new note attached to the collar. The note said "The dog comes from a home with 6 children, four of them under the age of four - it's looking for some peace and quiet. PS - can I come with him tomorrow???"
Old May 14, 2009, 1:49 am

Programs: PC Platinum, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold, Delta Gold, Avis First, Hertz Gold Plus, Glee Club, Yearbook
Thank you for a cool story, underpressure. Would you mind offering suggestions for a similar experience?

I'll be staying at the Conrad Tokyo for 6+1 nights, using 4 years of hoarded HH points. I couldn't afford the CT, but if I could put in more points for a guaranteed better room, I would.

I've e-mailed CT's reservations address that it would be my honeymoon, and so far I've been offered to purchase a cake/fruit plate or flowers. I requested a traditional flower arrangement because I thought it would be cool/appropriate for my wife and because I didn't want to look like I solely was asking for handouts (especially in a culture where indirect inference is honored more than a DYKWIA attitude).

I don't want to be rude or begging, but I'd like to know how to increase my chances of us getting a better-than-expected stay at this or other properties. The only e-mail address I could find for Hilton Conrad was their reservation address.

As lame as it sounds, what would be the most effective, yet polite way to ask for a really awesome honeymoon during our stay? I feel as though since I've emailed our honeymoon hotels already, I don't want to overdo my press. Many posters suggest e-mailing management, but the only public e-mail address I could find was the Reservations desk. Should I let it go, or should I snail mail the hotel? If I should e-mail the management, how do I find the right address?

(NOTE: Before I proposed to my fiancee at the Hilton Waikola Village --on a business trip-- our company's travel agent and I asked their group sales/event planner about possibilities for ideas/places/suggestions to propose. While their planner was thrilled and overjoyed about proposing at the HWV, all I got from her was a price list of things to add in her room or a $500+ "private" meal next to the public walking path [my fiancee does not like being "on display"]. Despite more than 150 room-nights paid by our company, the resort didn't offer anything that wouldn't cost me at least $100.)

Last edited by NewsBruin; May 14, 2009 at 1:55 am
Old May 14, 2009, 4:37 am
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NewsBruin
Thank you for a cool story, underpressure. Would you mind offering suggestions for a similar experience?
The good news is that this extraordinary levels of service were the result of comments that were entered on the on-line reservations.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.