Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Family MVP Rate

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Family MVP Rate

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2014, 9:10 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
And checking my account today on the Hilton MVP internet site shows that my e-mail address is gone again and replaced by the same unknown e-mail address as before.
Hope the hotel doesn't have to contact me then.....
When I changed the e-mail address back to my own yesterday I received a new reservation confirmation by e-mail ( same confirmation number, so no problem there ). But from that must follow that an unknown person has also received a confirmation by e-mail when the e-mail address was mysteriously changed back to that persons address.
This I am not happy with - minimum that person can request a nor1 upgrade, change or cancel the reservation on my behalf; all this can be done directly from a reservation confirmation sent by e-mail, as far as I know.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 10:51 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I'd always presumed that MVP rate bookings could be canceled (normally with no more than 1 days notice, but at most 3), but looking at the Hilton in San Francisco next week it's showing :

Cancellation Policy
If you cancel for any reason, attempt to modify this reservation, or do not arrive on your specified check-in date, your payment is non-refundable.

The "payment" it's referring to is the deposit, which is 100% of the amount for the entire stay (not just first night!).

Digging a bit deeper and the BAR for the same nights has exactly the same conditions, so it's not that MVP is giving anything worse, it's just mirroring the standard BAR conditions.

There's a large convention (VMworld) on in SF next week and this is one of the convention hotels so that's almost certainly why, but it's something to keep an eye out for on future bookings...
Old Aug 20, 2014, 1:26 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, AA EXP
Originally Posted by docbert
I'd always presumed that MVP rate bookings could be canceled (normally with no more than 1 days notice, but at most 3), but looking at the Hilton in San Francisco next week it's showing :

Cancellation Policy
If you cancel for any reason, attempt to modify this reservation, or do not arrive on your specified check-in date, your payment is non-refundable.

The "payment" it's referring to is the deposit, which is 100% of the amount for the entire stay (not just first night!).

Digging a bit deeper and the BAR for the same nights has exactly the same conditions, so it's not that MVP is giving anything worse, it's just mirroring the standard BAR conditions.

There's a large convention (VMworld) on in SF next week and this is one of the convention hotels so that's almost certainly why, but it's something to keep an eye out for on future bookings...
Every booking I make I glance over the cancellation policy... it's good to look just to make sure. I've never had trouble cancelling MVP rates in the past, so I think it's just hotel specific. Some hotels have stricter cancellation policies on points-stays than others too...
Old Aug 20, 2014, 6:10 pm

The two hotels I am considering (Homewood Suites Oxnard or Embassy Suites Mandalay Beach) for a vacation in December have no MVP or Team USA availability. Other Homewood Suites or Embassy Suites in the general area have the MVP rates available, but not these specific hotels where I am looking. What are the chances that either of these two hotels become eligible for the MVP rate in the next few months?
Old Aug 20, 2014, 6:13 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, AA EXP
Email the hotel, tell them you use the rate, ask if they can/will give it to you. Had success with this once.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by kc7sqd
The two hotels I am considering (Homewood Suites Oxnard or Embassy Suites Mandalay Beach) for a vacation in December have no MVP or Team USA availability. Other Homewood Suites or Embassy Suites in the general area have the MVP rates available, but not these specific hotels where I am looking. What are the chances that either of these two hotels become eligible for the MVP rate in the next few months?
Very Slim Chance, I've been also looking at the Oxnard for the last few months.

IMHO their demand is quite strong, not many hotels around and the area is affluent so no need to offer cheaper corporate rates.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by ericgdukie44
Every booking I make I glance over the cancellation policy... it's good to look just to make sure. I've never had trouble cancelling MVP rates in the past, so I think it's just hotel specific. Some hotels have stricter cancellation policies on points-stays than others too...
It's not even hotel-specific, I've canceled reservations at that hotel before with no difficulty. It's probably due to the convention and its overwhelming demand (though if it's the main hotel, any canceled reservations should be re-sold easily enough. Too bad hotels don't have a policy that they'll refund if they sell out, or an easy way to transfer reservations.)
Old Aug 21, 2014, 12:15 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
yep, I had an issue cancelling an MVP stay--I did not read the fine print about no cancellation....they accommodated me but it taught me to pay better attention.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 12:16 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Yellowjj
I don't understand why do people email customer service about special rates? If you aren't comfortable using it, then don't. If you think you don't qualify to use it, then don't. If it was indeed a "special restricted rate", your email may have made them aware and caused scrutiny/crackdown. You were already told that it was legit and fine to use for all Hhonors members.
couldnt agree more^
Old Aug 22, 2014, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by nlkm9
yep, I had an issue cancelling an MVP stay--I did not read the fine print about no cancellation....they accommodated me but it taught me to pay better attention.
Doesn't the published policy for prepaid stays allow cancellation provided you immediately buy a new stay (at least, for US hotels)?
Old Aug 22, 2014, 10:10 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by sethb
Doesn't the published policy for prepaid stays allow cancellation provided you immediately buy a new stay (at least, for US hotels)?
I'm not aware of anything like this. If it is published, where is it published?
Old Aug 22, 2014, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by controller1
I'm not aware of anything like this. If it is published, where is it published?
I looked at the Hilton San Francisco Financial District for a date in October, selected "Advance Purchase Rates" and clicked on "Rate Details".

Modification of Reservation: Price quoted applies to exact date(s)/nights/stay booked. Modifications to your reservation (including but not limited to name changes, date changes, etc.) are not permitted. However, for bookings in the United States, Mexico and the Caribbean, a request to cancel an existing Advance Purchase/Non-Refundable reservation and book a new reservation may be permitted if at the time you are requesting a change to your reservation, you book a new Advance Purchase/Non Refundable reservation at any hotel in the Hilton Worldwide portfolio located in the United States, Mexico or the Caribbean, subject to availability. Upon receipt of full payment for the new reservation, Hilton will issue a refund for the cancelled reservation, less a service fee. It may take up to four (4) weeks for the refund to be reflected on your credit card. For stays originally booked at the Waldorf Astoria, Conrad, Hilton, Embassy Suites or Doubletree brand hotels, the service fee is $50.00 and for stays originally booked at a Hilton Garden Inn, Hampton, Homewood Suites and Home2 Suites, the service fee is $25.00. For a cancellation and rebooking to be considered, you must call our Advance Purchase Department to request a change to your reservation at (800) 236-7113 or (972) 726-3361 no less than three days prior to your scheduled check-in date.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 9:22 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Indeed.

As is also noted dozens of times in this thread, to wit:

Love it! Booked this wonderful rate - can't wait to use it
Old Sep 22, 2014, 9:30 pm

Has anyone had any success using MVP to book a Curio Collection property?

I've checked a few properties with different date ranges and searches always come up as "Not Available."

Is brand too new or just not going to participate?

There is no problem booking with other special rates, such as AAA.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 9:35 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by mke9499
Has anyone had any success using MVP to book a Curio Collection property?

I've checked a few properties with different date ranges and searches always come up as "Not Available."

Is brand too new or just not going to participate?

There is no problem booking with other special rates, such as AAA.
Yes. SLS, Las Vegas has rooms available for certain dates using the MVP rate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.