Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

The Arctic Club Seattle - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel {US-WA}

The Arctic Club Seattle - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel {US-WA}

Old Mar 13, 2009, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Arrow The Arctic Club Seattle - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel {US-WA}

Was searching for a cheaper Hilton property in Seattle (semi-mattress run) and came across:

Doubletree Arctic Club Hotel Seattle-Downtown
700 3rd Ave. Seattle, Washington, US, 98104
1-206-340-0340

This hotel will be joining the Hilton Family soon but is not yet accepting reservations. It is scheduled to open in May 2009.

Not a new property but the old Arctic Club (which only has been open for a couple of years after being transformed from an old office building) joining the DT brand.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
My impressions

Stayed here last night on a mattress run – decided that as I’ll need several for re-qualification, and yesterday was the fourth (and final!) day of our local heat wave, it was time to hit a place with air-conditioning - they were offering a triple points rate at the exact same price as the regular (single) one, so book it I did!

Main entrance is on the 2nd Floor (U. K. 1st floor) Cherry Street, being on the slope of a hill the Third Avenue entrance is the 1st Floor (U. K. ground floor), by Juno’s (a pun on Juneau, AK I guess?) Restaurant – location for using the breakfast voucher. 2nd Floor public areas were quite stunning, more like a grand hotel in NYC, London or Paris. Check-in was decent, though the clerk asked if I wanted a breakfast voucher, becoming defensive when I told her that I hadn’t waived it (“We’ve only been with Doubletree since may 12th!”). I was given a room on the 10th (top) floor that I was assured I should like, which I did. First I scoped out the bar on the main floor, but it was crowded. So I decided to head down to Juno’s to check out their Happy Hour offerings. I left an hour or so later, after a whiskey sour, glass of very nice red wine, and a cheeseburger/fries plate for $30 (inc tip).

The king room was quite something, all done in an arctic exploration theme from a century or so ago, night table in the form of an upended steamer trunk, portraits of two Alaska natives over the bed, and a room lamp with a shade design of an Alaskan topographical map. Bathroom (with Jacuzzi as promised by check-in clerk) was through the frosted glass doors marked “To Baths” – tub to the right, sink with long counter ahead, and toilet in a WC nook to the left, standard Doubletree amenitities provided.

Since I couldn’t find a review here, I had checked at trip advisor, and was glad I did, learning that the coffee/tea fixings are in the pull out top part of the bureau, on which the flat screen digital television sits. Instead of the usual coffeepot, or even one of those Lavazza individual cup dispensers, the Arctic supplies an instant-boil electric kettle, a complimentary packet of coffee, a small French press coffeemaker, three tea bags, milk/sugar/stirrers, and a china infuser for those who supply their own loose tea.

There is also a mini-stereo system sharing the compartment with that stuff. I could not get it to read my non-iPod mp3 player via the USB port; there is also an actual iPod docking thingie, as well as an SD card slot. The bedside clock radio was not a Hilton one, but an RCA-brand one, frustratingly configured with an AUX socket, instead of an AUX plug! Had I known I would’ve brought along a double-ended input (output?) cable. I headed down to the reception desk on the off chance they had such a cable; not only did they not have any, they disavowed any knowledge of a Hilton clock whatsoever, when I expressed surprise there wasn’t one in my room. So, I made due with my earbuds.

My room had a long, narrow terrace with a city view as enthusiastically described at check-in. While I appreciated the white painted snow mounds on the balcony, I was craving that a/c big time, which worked quite well, though quite loud when it periodically kicked in all night. I’m sensitive to light, and was impressed that virtually none came in under, or around the door; the curtains were equally effective, so that the place would’ve been nearly pitch dark, except for the light behind the frosted glass bathroom door, from the WC window.

Breakfast proved disappointing. Voucher provides for one continental breakfast, or the value thereof ($12) to be applied towards other (non-alcoholic) menu items. Coffee, juice, oatmeal, and one pastry (of their choice), didn’t sound too great to me, so after toying with the “breakfast pizza” I opted for an omlette ($10 - four items of diner’s choice) and coffee ($4). Coffee wasn’t bad (served by the pitcher), but the mediocre omlette was more of an “egg wrap” around the ingredients, not cooked-in, with equally mediocre hash browns, and one (1) piece of toast, cut in half.

I didn’t try the main restaurant, nor use the fitness center, so cannot comment on those options. Hotel is conveniently located right next to the Pioneer Square transit tunnel entrance, starting next month the train from the airport will drop guests off practically at the front door (as does the 194 bus now). In terms of atmosphere, it reminded me of that other restored-to-its-heyday property, the Skirvin in Oklahoma City.

That’s about everything I could think of, and I apologize for no pics, but I don’t own a digital camera, and have never used the photo feature on my mobile phone.

Last edited by Points Scrounger; Jun 5, 2009 at 5:21 pm
Old Jun 6, 2009, 6:28 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat
Interesting to see Points Scrounger posting on this property - I had a recent stay and agree with many of those observations - I also have some additional points to post - both good and bad:

Arrival - decent enogh greeting - no mention of HHonors Gold until I enquired of the available benefits - was offered upgrade or breakfast. Accepted breakfast (for two of us) for which we were given vouchers.

Room - Very, very spacious and very well appointed as described above. However, being on 3rd Ave (I think!) it suffered from an amazing amount of traffic noise. We looked at 3 more rooms settling on a 10th floor balcony room (same as Point Stretcher I would guess). This still led to a v. v. poor night's rest - even with earplugs!

Bar - Having quipped at check-in that we needed a drink after the wild taxi ride from SEA, the staff told us we had 10 mins to get our orders in at the bar as it closed at 11.00pm - wha?? 11.00pm! We had them dump our bags in the room for us and ordered a bottle of wine - in the nick of time - phew! Several others arrived in said bar after us and were declined drinks. Odd for a hotel IME.

Breakfast - In a word - horrendous. No greeting on entering the restaurant (Juno's) so seated ourselves. Staff stood chattting for 5 mins or so despite seeing us. When served, we offered our voucher and were told that the voucher offered 1 x breakfast, not x 2, despite me clarifying the former with the desk clerk upon check-in. Server reinstated her position so I suggested she sort it out with management rather than us When the server returned we were told that we could both have breakfast - gee, thanks but voucher was only good for $12/each or "The Continental" which we opted for. Bad idea. Small bowl of diced fruit (like tinned but prob wasn't) plus luke warm (near cold) oatmeal and one blueberry muffin. Plus tea/coffee. Worst Hilton family breakfast I have ever seen/tasted. Made worse by the atmosphere. Though I am sure others will have had worse! Duty Manager then appeared and apologised - we then explained what had happened. He apologised again, saying that he would explore the restaurant service issues and a better room for us (regarding the noisy room/lack of sleep). Good response.

Resolution - We checked - out! Duty Manager offered us a suite (forget the name of said suite) but he openly admitted that noise would still be a problem as the renovations were subject to planning restrictions due to the building's historical importance. We needed our rest and two or three good night's sleep so declined his kind offer. He then offered to comp our entire bill and refund our non-refundable 2nd and 3rd night. Excellent, completely unexpected and very ^^^

Conclusion - I wouldn't stay agian because of the traffic noise incursion and the shoddy breakfast scenario - which is a shame as it's a lovely property. It's so out of sync with Doubletree IMO and cannot quite understand it's positioning. We ended up getting a beautiful (quiet-ish) room (upgraded to a Luxury Suite ) at the Hyatt Olive 8 - an utterly wonderful property with amazingly customer -focussed staff - a huge step up from DT Arctic Club IME.

Last edited by NoY; Jun 6, 2009 at 7:42 am Reason: typos
Old Jun 6, 2009, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the reviews fellow FTers. It sounds like Seattle continues to be a black hole for HH hotels.

MisterNice
Old Jun 6, 2009, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
NoY:

I did think to myself "Gosh, it's pretty noisy out there for a 10th floor room", but not so bad as to stop me sleeping.

At breakfast, I hesitated before sitting at the bar, looking to a nearby staff member whom I thought might be the manager for confirmation that one seats one's self (she was a waitress, though not mine, it turned out). That person gave me a funny/dirty look, before not-so-pleasantly acknowledging I could sit there. My server, and the restaurant manageress (with whom I chatted with later), were both polite and charming.

You should've been given two breakfast certs (per day) at check-in for both of you, so I cannot entirely fault the Juno staff there. I have no idea why the front staff almost insist on being so "assertively" clueless on not knowing Hilton procedure - wasn't there transitional training? Actually, at my check-in there was a fellow next to the clerk who was doing on-the-job Hilton training (almost a month after the Doubletree branding), who told me "I've been with Hilton eight years." I asked for him to assist with the clock episode I mentioned, and was told "He just left"; I had hoped to follow up with him at checkout, but no sign of him.

The 11:00 bar closing is quite strange - all I can think of is they don't want non-guest bar hoppers popping in, after getting sloshed elsewhere?
Old Jun 6, 2009, 10:22 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
NoY:

I did think to myself "Gosh, it's pretty noisy out there for a 10th floor room", but not so bad as to stop me sleeping.

At breakfast, I hesitated before sitting at the bar, looking to a nearby staff member whom I thought might be the manager for confirmation that one seats one's self (she was a waitress, though not mine, it turned out). That person gave me a funny/dirty look, before not-so-pleasantly acknowledging I could sit there. My server, and the restaurant manageress (with whom I chatted with later), were both polite and charming.

You should've been given two breakfast certs (per day) at check-in for both of you, so I cannot entirely fault the Juno staff there. I have no idea why the front staff almost insist on being so "assertively" clueless on not knowing Hilton procedure - wasn't there transitional training? Actually, at my check-in there was a fellow next to the clerk who was doing on-the-job Hilton training (almost a month after the Doubletree branding), who told me "I've been with Hilton eight years." I asked for him to assist with the clock episode I mentioned, and was told "He just left"; I had hoped to follow up with him at checkout, but no sign of him.

The 11:00 bar closing is quite strange - all I can think of is they don't want non-guest bar hoppers popping in, after getting sloshed elsewhere?
Hi Points Scrounger

Yes, the female server who dealt with us was, frankly, damned rude and so non-customer focussed! Seems like the same individual to me. I later figured we should have had 2 x vouchers each but having confirmed with the front desk that 1 x was fine for the both of us, it wasn't really my problem, IMO. Staff should sort that out between themselves (seemlessly and away from the guest) not just "blank" the issue. I kinda suspect that some of the "old guard" hotel staff resent being taken over by a huge corporation!

Glad your stay was at least better than ours! Must say the Hyatt Olive 8 was a totally fresh breath of air - a world of difference indeed ^
Old Jun 7, 2009, 5:00 am

Programs: UA
I have been a guest a few times at this hotel, Customer Service deteriorated noticeably when changed to a Doubletree. At first I was happy to see them join HH, as I'm a Diamond. After reading these post on this hotel, I was motivated to join FT and post my insight.

This is a very nice hotel, one with much personality. But I agree with the other posters here, they have no clue about being a Hilton Family hotel. There is a few staff members who need to have an attitude adjustment. There are a few bad eggs but most of the staff are ok.

As a D-VIP with Hilton, I had to tell the staff what I should get. Every time I asked they had to call someone. Also had the problem at Breakfast 1 cert for two people did not work. I was told, "You have to take care of it with the front desk"

Breakfast was crap. I never ate it in the past as I did not want to pay the price. For Free I got a little fruit, old muffin, and some other crap.

I also do not get why this place is a double tree..

I would say to HH Elites, get ready to battle for benefits. I was told I was upgraded but I know it was a lie, in my past stays I had much better rooms. And asked if my room was an upgrade at check out and I was told no, "you get the free breakfast"
Old Jun 7, 2009, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome, SEA!

What do you feel is the problem with the attitude regarding Hilton? As I mentioned, there was a Hilton-experienced guy doing on-the-job "training" at the front desk, but three weeks later? When I mentioned I wanted a breakfast voucher (a mistake I now realize!), "I didn't waive it!", he showed her where to look on the screen for My Way preferences - shouldn't they have had training on that weeks ago?

What exactly is so "tough" about being a Hilton property for them? Many Hilton clerks don't know about the Diamond walk penalty ($100 ... cash ... at time of walking), but otherwise, what else do they need to be aware of, besides upgrade/breakfast policy and how to enter a double dip partner code?

Juno's restaurant was like Dr. Jeykell and Mr. Hyde between the decent happy hour experience (if Hilton gave non-guests point credit for meals as Starwood does, I'd drop in on occasion if downtown at that hour) vs. the incredibly lame breakfast situation.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 8:55 pm

Programs: British Air, Virgin, Alaska, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
I essentially agree with everything said above--except that I was greeted by a very nice hostess. My 8th floor room was exceptional, although I have no use for a jacuzzi tub. Generally speaking, this is one of the finest hilton properties in Seattle. The breakfast IS ridiculous, but I was so happy with the bar I was able to overlook it.

The one detail I appreciated is the relatively unusual variety of minibar snacks--not your everyday M&Ms etc. much nicer selection--presented in a basket. I have to admit, as a diamond, at first glance I mistook the minibar basket for a diamond comp as I've received similar gift baskets in England (1/2 bottle of wine and snacks).

In total, a bit of a mixed experience. I'll go back due to the excellent location and high quality of the room, but will change my preferences to 1000 bonus points instead of breakfast at this location.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM,Alaska MVP Gold, HH Diamond
Arrow Similar but different..!

All

Stayed at the Arctic Club for the first time last week, and had a generally positive experience. First on check in. Arrived on the 3rd street entrance next to Juno's, and was immediately underwhelmed until I realized the lobby was up a level. As mentioned, a turn of the century feel and definitely has atmosphere. Not nearly as much as the Bentson in Portland, which I put in the "grand old ladies" category of turn of the century hotels, but still notable. As I checked in, i was recognized as HH Gold and asked if I preferred the breakfast vouchers or the extra points. Chose points, as I usually travel out for coffee. Apparently, a wise move...

Lady at checkin was quite pleasant, and asked if I'd stayed there before. Upon learning no, she proceeded to give me a quick summary of the Club - essentially a downtown country club for Seattle's wealthy & influential men. They made their money in Alaska, and returned here to regale each other with the tales of their profound intelligence

Checked into a 10th floor room; ditto what's been written here. Big drawback is the noise from traffic. Lots and lots of sirens and road noise; should have brought ear plugs.

Unmentioned: they are 50 yds from a light rail underground station, that now runs to the airport (last stop by shuttle). It worked out well for me vs a rental.

Juno's: ate there for charge,and had Eggs benedict alaskan style,which was with salmon. Very unique, and decent. Others had traditional warm plates, which all said were good. No service issues.

So, I'd give it a 7, mostly for location and atmosphere. If I brought earplugs, an 8. BTW, the waterfront is a brisk 10 minute walk, and was able to enjoy stunning views while eating seafood. Not bad! ^
Old Aug 26, 2009, 11:37 pm

Programs: UA1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
very helpful posts. i'll be there next week for 2 nights.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Remember, if you want to use your clock-radio as an mp3 player, bring a line cord to plug one end into your player's headphone socket, and the other into the clock-radio's AUX socket. When I asked about "Hilton clocks", the staff responded with blank looks, as though I'd requested they recite a few verses of Sanskrit poetry!
Old Oct 1, 2009, 1:18 am

Programs: British Air, Virgin, Alaska, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
I stayed again on 9/27 and was greeted this time with a fantastic fruit/cheese tray for Diamond status. Probably a third of a pound each of blue, sage and a fresh cheese with an apple, grapes, dates and strawberries--unfortunately I was alone. I was also given a corner room with the jacuzzi tub for the second time. The hostess was VERY cheery this time as well. Overall, they've stepped up their game considerably in my opinion.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 11:25 am

Programs: too many
more of the same and then some

Below is my review posted to Yelp about the Arctic Club.

Pros:
-There is an often "cookie cutter" feel to most branded hotels but this is one of the exceptions. My understanding is Doubletree absorbed this historic hotel a while back but it retained much of it's charm.
- Room size and decor was good but a little dark even with all the lights on
-Large TV (Hilton standard)
-Comfortable bed with many pillow choices (Hilton standard)
-Juno restaurant has limited but very good breakfast

Cons:
-Overall service was poor
-at check-in we were not offered a cookie (Doubletree standard)
-room was missing complimentary bottles of water
-room was missing some complimentary toiletry items
-I had back to back reservations and they did not link them so our room key expired halfway through the stay and subsequently were skipped during the housekeeping rounds.

As a Diamond member of HHonors I have come to expect a certain level of service and attention when I stay at a Hilton Family hotel. Not once did we get a call from any of the staff to see if everything was okay.

With the exception of whoever was at the desk when we checked in the staff was very friendly and helpfull.

We give a lot of business to this company and in return for our loyalty expect more...

date of visit: Dec 17-21, 2009

In addition:
-I think we had the same room as Point Scrounger and NoY
-We were pleasantly surprised by Juno. We ate there all four mornings of our visit. The $12 voucher was sufficient to get most any breakfast on the menu but if you added coffee or tea you easily exceeded the value. We were still out each day for under $10 including tip so not bad. Avoid the Continental b-fast.
-It could be that it was a weekend or that I'm a city slicker but traffic noise wasn't an issue for us.
-I think they standardized the clocks...
-The heating vent is directed toward the room which makes it warmer in the room but leaves the bathroom area FREEZING cold esp. if you get up in the middle of the night...

If I wasn't a D-VIP or a Doubletree regular I would have given this property 4/5 stars but...I settled at 2/5 stars
Old Feb 24, 2010, 4:58 pm

Programs: too many
update

I contacted Hilton and after a few days got a reply from corporate saying someone from the property would be contacting me soon. A few days after that I got an email from a manager apologizing for my experience. He really didn't make any excuses, which I like, but did say they strive to do better.

He refunded my points which is more than I expected but welcome for sure

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.