Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

The Arctic Club Seattle - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel {US-WA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Arctic Club Seattle - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel {US-WA}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2013, 2:43 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by blenz
...I was also given a corner room with the jacuzzi tub for the second time.
Are the Arctic Club's jacuzzi-tubbed rooms oversize 2-person tubs, or simple "regular" tubs with jacuzzi jets?
Old Jan 4, 2014, 7:48 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Finished a three night stay there last week.

Incredibly amazing hotel.

This is one of the odd-duck Doubletrees that could easily be a much "higher" branded property.

Had two rooms on a sort-of complex reservation: one room three nights P&M rate; one room on a two-night P&M rate conjoined with the final night on points. Check-in clerk got everything adjusted seamlessly.

We got there at 3pm and our rooms were not quite ready. The lobby is a lovely place to hang out in front of the fireplace. After awhile, the front desk clerk came and brought us our keys which also included a $50 dining credit certificate for the restaurant, plus certificates for two free in-room movies.

Both rooms were upgraded to top-floor balcony rooms with oversize tubs. Very, very nicely appointed and so much more interesting than the generic Hilton would have been!

Breakfast vouchers were good for $12 credit toward any menu items. Props to the management for giving breakfast vouchers for not only spouse and I but for the family member staying in the second room. Breakfast was very, very good. Did room service one night and it was quick and elegantly presented. The seafood paella was simply excellent and worth coming back to the restaurant just for that. Ate one night (to use the credit) in the restaurant; again, everything was delicious and artfully presented.

All in all, a wonderful experience for a needed post-Christmas special trip, and I hope to stay there again.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 9:40 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
This one of the real gems of the DT brand. I've made it a home away from home in Seattle. Exceptional service and lots of old world charm . I insisted our company make it a preferred hotel for us and we have a negotiated rate which is reasonable for the overall quality. On the last return, I met some other "regulars" who rave about it.

Do book in advance, as it gets full during certain seasons.

It is not as convenient to some restaurants, but in walking distance there is the Purple Cafe which is a great wine bar with a full menu. Only nit about it is it gets loud at times.

Enjoy!
Old Jun 19, 2014, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by ptownca
This one of the real gems of the DT brand. I've made it a home away from home in Seattle. Exceptional service and lots of old world charm . I insisted our company make it a preferred hotel for us and we have a negotiated rate which is reasonable for the overall quality. On the last return, I met some other "regulars" who rave about it.

Do book in advance, as it gets full during certain seasons.

It is not as convenient to some restaurants, but in walking distance there is the Purple Cafe which is a great wine bar with a full menu. Only nit about it is it gets loud at times.

Enjoy!
Agreed, I fly up for Seahawk games a few times a year and always stay here. I agree about booking in advance as it does sell out at random times. A great hotel.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:11 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Thumbs up The Arctic Club Seattle — a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Trip Reports and Reviews

No one has to my knowledge done a decent review of this hotel, so I thought I my splash some words this way, my first full review, so flyertalkers have a better sense of this very distinct property.

First, I am partial to old school hotels with an old world feel. Second, this review is based on several stays over the past couple of years. Third, unlike most hotel websites, the pictures actually do not do a lot of justice to the property. There are some good pictures on Yelp and Google. It is easy to spot with the walurus's motif and is on the architectural tours of Seattle.

The Arctic Club has a bit of history, as it started out as a private club/hotel. It was top to bottom restored in 2007 by local owners, who took on the DT flag after several months of the opening.

It is located on 3rd and Cherry, right near a metro stop. One block from Columbia Center, itself worth a visit to the observatory.

The large grand entrance leads to the lobby and the Polar Bar. Lots of wood, leather, brass and fine fabrics everywhere. The Polar Bar itself, is a local hangout and happy hour is often quite busy with local office workers. You can order the full menu from the restaurant downstairs and for a hotel quite decent resto. The Filet is also a good choice. (The clam chowder is sublime.) Viktor, the main bar tender is an old school mixologist and knows his stuff. Great martinis and scotches.

One the second floor is the Dome Room, a really lovely ballroom with stained glass in the ceiling. It is very popular for weddings and when you see it you will understand why.

The rooms themselves are a mixture of King/Queens and some will have pull out sofa, some are equipped with a Jacuzzi. All have high ceilings and are very well equipped. Because it is an old building, some rooms have their quirks in bathroom and sink placement.

Worth noting is all of the furniture in the hotel is custom made to fit the theme. The night stands look like old fashioned steamer trunks. Some sofas and armchairs have the logo embossed on them. What looks like a commode actually has a French press coffee maker, tea kettle to one side and a mini-stereo with pull out speakers and MP3. In the bottom is the honor bar mini fridge. The details are impeccable.

The desk is old style, but large, all the right things in the right place including plenty of plugs. The wifi has been consistently good no matter room I have had and it works great in the lobby too.

What I like in the rooms are : super comfortable beds, adding the modern bits like a laptop safe and modern AC without spoiling the character. The bath fixtures gleam like new and the quality of the fixtures is first class. One other thing unique is the aroma. It is a pleasant mixture of some sort of wood, leather and such. Quite pleasant. Old World without the mustiness ^

Now a great building without good service would be a disappointment. I remember suffering the snotty attitude of the Ian Schrager properties in New York..

On this count, it is the staff who make this place special. I am almost always greeted by staff who know my name after just a few visits. You can order something not on the menu and it is never a fuss. An example, I needed some emergency laundry done after the morning deadline. I explained my situation to the front desk and they said, 'Let me make a call" Upon returning at 3:30 in the afternoon. All done and hung up in the closet. No extra charge. ^ ^

Caveats:

3rd is quite a busy street, so if noise bothers you, ask for a room in the back. The windows are double paned and the room to room insulation is solid. It is hard to block out sirens and garbage trucks who are particularly noisy.

Valet parking is expensive, but the hotel has no garage being an old building. That said, it is efficient and I've never been kept waiting when calling ahead. There are other options within the block, but it is hilly.

Certain periods the rates are high because of cruises and special events. I recommend booking as far in advance as possible.

Summing up: A great character property with friendly, unstuffy service. I like it so much I insisted our corporate travel make it a contracted preferred hotel
Old Mar 5, 2015, 8:10 am

Almost every Hhonors member I know stays here when they visit Seattle. Easy access to most things downtown and really reasonable rates especially with corporate rates. One thing I wonder though is who makes those brown blankets in the rooms. I know they're imported from New Zealand but I can't seem to get the manufacturer name from the manager. Anyone have any ideas?
Old Mar 5, 2015, 8:16 am

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Everything's for sale at this place; I have one of their coffee mugs.
Just ask them and they will tell you, and may even sell you one.

Originally Posted by danielchee
Almost every Hhonors member I know stays here when they visit Seattle. Easy access to most things downtown and really reasonable rates especially with corporate rates. One thing I wonder though is who makes those brown blankets in the rooms. I know they're imported from New Zealand but I can't seem to get the manufacturer name from the manager. Anyone have any ideas?
Old Mar 5, 2015, 2:22 pm

They're always low on the blankets and haven't been that lucky buying one direct from them Besides I know someone coming over fairly often from NZ who is willing to bring it if I can find out who makes them.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Brown blankets are sort of a turnoff. Wish this was closer to the main downtown drag of hotels, but as always a better property than the Hilton which remains small and outdated.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I agree to the postive reviews of this property. It is really an exceptional building and I like the way they have keept the "arctic/seafarer" themes in the rooms.

The location on 3rd Ave is less convenient. Yes, it is close to Pioneer Sq. (actually right next to a Pioneer Sq. Station entrance for the light rail to/from the airport) but a 10-15 min walk to Pine St. and Pike Place Market and I have never seen so many homeless people as on this part of 3rd Ave/near Pioneer Sq. I could easily understand if some wouldn't feel safe in this area.

Additional note: As HH Gold or Diamond you will get a $12 voucher for breakfast at JUNO Restaurant on the first floor but there is no breakfast buffet - you will get a menu to choose from

http://thearcticclubseattle.com/wp-c...AST-1-3-15.pdf

As you will note $12 will not get you far at this property!

Anyway, I had a lovely stay.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 9:03 am

One thing I haven't figured out is - How to turn on the Jacuzzi in the corner rooms???
Old Dec 1, 2015, 5:49 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Will be going there in January!

I'm not one to usually jump on Cyber Monday sales, but Alaska Airlines had $59 fares from my city (Eugene) to Seattle (well worth not having to drive 5+ hours, plus pay for parking), the Seattle Art Museum has an Impressionist exhibit from the National Gallery in DC (through Jan. 10), and the Arctic Club was $159 on a Friday night (which didn't seem too bad for a DT Seattle Hotel), plus triple HH points in January on a weekend night...the perfect storm.

We plan on eating at Juno in the hotel just to cocoon - any reason why not?
Old Dec 1, 2015, 5:57 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Eujeanie

plus triple HH points in January on a weekend night...the perfect storm.
Just so you aren't disappointed, the triple HH points on weekends ends on December 31, 2015. Hilton has not announced a new promotion for stays beginning January 1, 2016.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by Eujeanie

I'm not one to usually jump on Cyber Monday sales, but Alaska Airlines had $59 fares from my city (Eugene) to Seattle (well worth not having to drive 5+ hours, plus pay for parking), the Seattle Art Museum has an Impressionist exhibit from the National Gallery in DC (through Jan. 10), and the Arctic Club was $159 on a Friday night (which didn't seem too bad for a DT Seattle Hotel), plus triple HH points in January on a weekend night...the perfect storm.

We plan on eating at Juno in the hotel just to cocoon - any reason why not?
$159 isn't a bad price, as in peak tourist season this one can easily go for double that. Did you check for a points + money award, which might be a better bet if you can cancel your existing reservation?
Old Dec 1, 2015, 6:10 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Boo, I thought it was until the end of January!

Have to go back and check my e-mails, I could have sworn I saw something about DT's in January! even if not, $159 is not a bad price to me for a city hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.