Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 26, 2014, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 155,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Offer Expires Apr. 17, 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 170,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Expired Jan 17 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 130,000 points for spending $4,000 in 4 months; $95 annual fee. OFFER EXPIRED AUG 28.
Hilton HHonors American Express Ascend card
. 75,000 points for spending $2,000 in 3 months+ 25,000 points after additional $1000 in 6 months; $95 annual fee.
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product."

Note: For existing Surpass card holders, AMEX verbally confirmed that on or after 20 January 2018, card holders can call in and request cards be converted to Aspire - while maintaining the same credit card number, balance limits, PIN, etc.

Card features:
  • Annual fee: $95 $150, no first-year waiver.
  • Earning: 12 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 6 points/$ at U.S. restaurants, supermarkets & gas stations; 4 points for online retail purchases (as of 2023); and 3 points/$ on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Gold status for as long as you have the card and Diamond status after $40,000 in annual spend.
  • Booking bonus: 500 bonus points for every stay (including award stays) booked directly with Hilton & guaranteed with the card

Check your application status

Linking Amex Ascend Surpass to your Hilton Honors account.Many (most?) have reported that a new Hilton Honors number gets assigned by Amex even when they put their existing Hilton Honors number in the application, and it can take several weeks to get this worked out. However, the key to making things go smoothly seems to be an exact match of your name and address between Amex and Hilton, including adding your middle initial to your Hilton Honors account if you use it on your Amex. When everything matches, an Amex rep should be able to update the account number, it should "go through" immediately, and the correct Hilton account number will be reflected on the Amex website in about 2 days.

Is the Amex Ascend Surpass churnable?As of May 1, 2014, Amex will not give a signup bonus to card applicants who have held the card in the past ~7 years, even if the applicant has never earned a previous signup bonus for it. However, it is still possible to upgrade an existing Hilton Amex to the Ascend Surpass card to earn a bonus (and reportedly to do this more than once by later downgrading & then upgrading again). The best strategy is to earn a Ascend Surpass signup bonus first, and only afterward pursue the upgrade bonus(es).

For information on other Hilton-branded credit cards, see the wiki at Ongoing offers for Hilton cards issued by Amex or Citi

Print Wikipost

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2019, 9:41 am

same here, i called them. they told me that last year i downgraded from ascend to no fee card and this year i again upgraded- you have to call them to re-enroll - this is my experience.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 12:31 pm

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Originally Posted by RJ5929
same here, i called them. they told me that last year i downgraded from ascend to no fee card and this year i again upgraded- you have to call them to re-enroll - this is my experience.
This might be highly YMMV. I signed up SO online with no issue and both of our histories are almost the exact same as yours. Weirdly, I can't seem to get into the PP account online now...maybe it's down for maintenance?
Old Jul 29, 2019, 10:37 am

Same issue here. Anyone else have any luck accessing this online in recent days?
Old Aug 2, 2019, 1:01 pm

I'm getting a 150k point bonus offer to upgrade my no fee Hilton card to the Surpass. I previously had the Surpass card (pre-Ascend) which has since been closed. Any experiences if they will honor the upgrade offer, even thought I had a "Surpass" bonus before?
Old Aug 4, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
LOL, while still working on the spend for upgrading the no-fee to the Ascend/Surpass, I just got a 150K offer to upgrade to the Aspire. This was at the top of my account after I signed in, so possibly it's a generic offer, I suppose.

Originally Posted by dascc
I'm getting a 150k point bonus offer to upgrade my no fee Hilton card to the Surpass. I previously had the Surpass card (pre-Ascend) which has since been closed. Any experiences if they will honor the upgrade offer, even thought I had a "Surpass" bonus before?
I can't say from personal experience 100% but from reading on FT I believe that they will honor the offer. This is one of the ways to get around the "lifetime" language in the app restrictions. I'm in the process of finishing the spend for this offer that I got back in May or June.
dascc likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by fredc84
LOL, while still working on the spend for upgrading the no-fee to the Ascend/Surpass, I just got a 150K offer to upgrade to the Aspire. This was at the top of my account after I signed in, so possibly it's a generic offer, I suppose.

I can't say from personal experience 100% but from reading on FT I believe that they will honor the offer. This is one of the ways to get around the "lifetime" language in the app restrictions. I'm in the process of finishing the spend for this offer that I got back in May or June.
thx.

I went ahead and requested the upgrade. I went over the T&C of the offer and there wasn't any once per lifetime language so hoping it works. We'll see what happens.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Limit on AU cards?

I have a Surpass/Ascend/Surpass card and my wife has 2 AU cards linked to it. I got an email from AMEX on my card offering, "Earn Hilton Honors Bonus Points after an Additional Card Member makes a purchase." 5,000 points for $250 spend. Don't they know we already have two AU cards? Will they honor the offer for a third card?
Old Aug 19, 2019, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by dascc
thx.

I went ahead and requested the upgrade. I went over the T&C of the offer and there wasn't any once per lifetime language so hoping it works. We'll see what happens.
*update* hit the spend requirement and the 150k bonus points hit the honors acct within a couple of days. when i log on my account there is an upgrade offer to the Aspire 150k points. The Surpass AF hasn't hit yet so i don't know if that will look bad with Amex that I upgraded the same card within a month.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 7:42 pm

Hello! I have the Amex ascend (I guess now it’s surpass). I’ve recently reached the $40K spend requirement to get upgraded to diamond status. Does anyone know how soon this happens or what the process is? I reached the threshold at the beginning of this current billing cycle. Do they upgrade you to diamond after the cycle closes? Just wondering when to expect status change. Thank you!
Old Sep 11, 2019, 8:27 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Originally Posted by WorldTraveler1752

Hello! I have the Amex ascend (I guess now it’s surpass). I’ve recently reached the $40K spend requirement to get upgraded to diamond status. Does anyone know how soon this happens or what the process is? I reached the threshold at the beginning of this current billing cycle. Do they upgrade you to diamond after the cycle closes? Just wondering when to expect status change. Thank you!
Same question! I hit the 40K about a week after my card closed. Wondering when I will get diamond as I have an upcoming paid reservation.. The reservation is only 3 weeks from when I made the 40k and before the close of the statement so I figure I will still be gold.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 11:17 am

How quickly will the signup bonus hit my hilton account after meeting the min spend?

I have an immediate use for the 150k sign up bonus.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Travelchurner
How quickly will the signup bonus hit my hilton account after meeting the min spend?

I have an immediate use for the 150k sign up bonus.
Within a day or two after the charges go from pending to posted status.
dascc and Travelchurner like this.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 11:38 pm

FYI incognito mode is showing 150k after 3k spend on the surpass
Old Oct 11, 2019, 4:01 am

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Travelchurner
FYI incognito mode is showing 150k after 3k spend on the surpass
Well that sucks. I currently hold the card. Can’t get bonus anymore.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by RedElmo
Well that sucks. I currently hold the card. Can’t get bonus anymore.
Try to get the NLL referral offer then?

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/ameri...me-language-2/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.