Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Loyalty Programs > Hilton | Hilton HHonors
Sign in using an external account

Old Mar 10, 09, 7:35 am   #1
gms

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Checking-out the same day you check-in

I have an overnight stay a booked at a Hilton later this week. It was an advance purchase option (so non-refundable). I was originally going to catch a flight the following morning, but my travel plans have changed and I will now need to fly out late evening the same day I am due to check into the hotel.

I still plan to check-in and use the hotel room for a few hours to catch up on work. I assume I would still receive points/miles for the stay, even though I am not staying overnight?

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere a couple of searches did not reveal any relevant threads.
gms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 09, 8:01 am   #2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Just call the hotel the next day and check out by phone. Otherwise you may lose points, since I don't think you get points for day rates.
flyinbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 09, 8:39 am   #3
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
There's no need to even bother checking out, just make sure they have you set up for express checkout when you register. Just leave the keys on the desk or whatever and off you go.

I would not assume any points or stay credit if they check you out on the same day you checked in, so I would not do it that way, just go when you need to go, they will figure it out without any problem.
Old Mar 10, 09, 8:42 am   #4

Programs: UA 1k, HHonors Gold
I did this in Mainz (near FRA) a few months ago and had no problem getting points and stay credit. My guess is it's all about the rate. If you're on an overnight rate, you should get overnight points/credit.
hbyerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 10, 2:07 am   #5

Programs: QF P, AA EXP, TK Elite, HHonors and Gold Passport Diamond
I have a 'day use' room at the Conrad Centennial in Singapore later this year to use in between flights. It's booked as a 'day use' room from 12pm to 6pm. Am I likely to get a night credit for this? The rate is a hefty SGD180 with the full rate being about SGD260.
danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 10, 3:53 am   #6
obs

Programs: BA executive club,priority club Plat Ambassador, Hilton hhonours Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by danger View Post
I have a 'day use' room at the Conrad Centennial in Singapore later this year to use in between flights. It's booked as a 'day use' room from 12pm to 6pm. Am I likely to get a night credit for this? The rate is a hefty SGD180 with the full rate being about SGD260.
Day rates qualify as a stay and you will get the points. I have done this many times at Heathrow and Gatwick airport Hiltons.

Regards

Obs
obs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 10, 5:02 am   #7
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

I have checked out the same day at the Hilton Düsseldorf three hours after I checked in due to a business emergency.

I asked about the points while I checked out and was told, points should not be a problem. They posted as promised withou any problem.

However, ymmv
FLYGVA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 10, 5:31 am   #8
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SPG Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Taj IC Gold, AI Maharajah, DL Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinbob View Post
Just call the hotel the next day and check out by phone. Otherwise you may lose points, since I don't think you get points for day rates.
day rates qualify for points & stay credit....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordelli View Post
There's no need to even bother checking out, just make sure they have you set up for express checkout when you register. Just leave the keys on the desk or whatever and off you go.

I would not assume any points or stay credit if they check you out on the same day you checked in, so I would not do it that way, just go when you need to go, they will figure it out without any problem.
since you don't physically need to be at the desk to checkout, this may be a good option....but once again, day rates would get you the points & credit....

Quote:
Originally Posted by danger View Post
you will definitely get the points & stay credit....i do this 7-8 times a year when i am travelling to dubai....i often have day trips & my flight in & out makes it very easy for me to finish my business & get some rest at the hotel....

my flight gets in really early in the morning so i go directly to the hotel & check-in....i leave for my arbitration around 10 in the morning & am usually done by 5-6 pm....then i come back to the hotel to relax for a few hours before heading back to the airport for my 2am flight....

i have never had a problem with these stays....
Keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 10, 6:18 am   #9

Programs: UA Plat,HH Diamond,Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold (Thanks UA!)
I've checked in, dropped my keys at express checkout 30 minutes later and received credit. You shouldn't have any problems.
trm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 10, 10:30 am   #10

Programs: Hilton Hhonors Gold
Along the same lines, does one get credit if the night is paid for but no one checks in? My colleague wanted to make status, so he thought it possible to find a low rate somewhere, book and pay for it, but never check in. I didn't think it was possible, but it never hurts to ask...
Jacquelyn Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 10, 10:34 am   #11
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa gold, ua mm, spg & pc plat, hh & marriott gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacquelyn Hyde View Post
Along the same lines, does one get credit if the night is paid for but no one checks in? My colleague wanted to make status, so he thought it possible to find a low rate somewhere, book and pay for it, but never check in. I didn't think it was possible, but it never hurts to ask...
your colleague WILL need to check in...but s/he doesn't need to actually stay. there are some reports of phone check-in working at some properties, i've never found one.
Old Mar 16, 10, 1:52 pm   #12
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacquelyn Hyde View Post
check-in is definitely required....otherwise it will count as a no show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenkay View Post
your colleague WILL need to check in...but s/he doesn't need to actually stay. there are some reports of phone check-in working at some properties, i've never found one.
even i have heard people say they managed to get away with phone check-in but i seriously doubt that would work....
Old Mar 16, 10, 1:54 pm   #13

Programs: AA EXP/CK; DL DM; US CP; Hilton Diamond; SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; National Exec and others
I do this often. The points always post. I usually just leave the keys and opt for express checkout.
jbcarioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 10, 8:43 pm   #14
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL KM, HH Diamond, IC Amb, Hyatt Diamond, NA EE
Express or call the next day...
mnredfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 10, 1:07 am   #15
FlyerTalk Evangelist

for those people looking to use express or phone checkout, please keep in mind that this option is not available in most properties in asia, middle east & europe....you have to be physically present to check out....