Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Melbourne South Wharf {AUS} (no longer Honors)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Melbourne South Wharf {AUS} (no longer Honors)

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2009, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA Gold, *A Gold, HH Dia, Hertz #1 5*
Originally Posted by Karter
Yes, the South Wharf is definitely better, and really the location of the Hilton on the Park isn't that great either, so give this one a try.
How do the executive rooms at South Wharf compare to the rounded rooms at both ends of the Hilton at MEL Airport? Stayed 3 times there and got those roomy upgrades all 3 times. I also enjoyed the liveliness of the Aero Bar and restaurant. Never tried the Hilton on the Park.
Old May 21, 2009, 7:47 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Stayed here the other weekend. Still lots of construction going on around the hotel (convention center).

Overall, it's a nice brand new hotel. Very good clean modern design without being over the top. Great beds. The Exec Lounge is very large and has a great outdoor area overlooking the Yarra River. Good breakfast and evening canapes/drinks. Friendly staff. Didn't try any of the other eating/drinking venues, but the Spanish bar/restaurant looked pretty good. Didn't use the fitness center, and there is no pool.

It's a quick walk over a footbridge to the city or to catch a tram. Walking distance to the footy at Etihad Stadium. A walk along the Yarra quickly brings you to the Crown complex.

I'd stay here again.
Old May 22, 2009, 1:11 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Thanks for the concise review. I'm looking forward to my stay.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 7:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Gold
Hilton Melbourne South Wharf Apartments - HH Gold

I've booked a 2 bedroom apartment through the 2-4-1 promotion. Has anybody stayed in the apartments? What are they like? Any idea what benefits that I will get as HH Gold? Any chance of getting access to the Executive Lounge?
Old Jun 13, 2009, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
I recently stayed in one of the studio units on the apartment floor, but it wasn't anything special. A sink, microwave, small fridge, and a dishwasher. Overall, the room, and bathroom, were on the small side for what they were calling a "studio".

The thing that was most obvious to me was that this hotel is really not ready to open. Besides construction workers still in the hotel, and one actually walking into my room without knocking , the entire area for at least several blocks in all directions is under construction. It appears that once finished the area will be interesting, with what appears to be a retail/commercial area under development adjacent. However, for now traffic is horrendous, and walking anywhere worthwhile is a serious trek. If you are going to the convention center the location can't be beat. But the Hilton itself is still a year or more away from my recommending it as a destination hotel in MEL.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
How busy was the hotel during your stay?

Was the Exec Lounge up to scratch, in terms of the overall ambience, amenities, staff and importantly for my enjoyment, the choice of evening tipples and snacks?

Another FTer was extremely kind to write about a recent stay; to say the least, I would hope that nobody else has an experience like that. -y

I hear what you're saying about the hidden location; I hope we can get back from the hotel to the airport in time for our morning flight out of MEL!
Old Nov 13, 2009, 1:26 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Trip Advsior has some rave reviews on this property anybody else?
I am seriously thinking of canceling another booking and trying out the Hilton I love the Southbank area
Old Nov 14, 2009, 9:36 am

I was there a month ago, and found no heavy construction activity in the immediate vicinity of the hotel; in fact, I couldn't see or hear any from my river view room.

The rooms are very good, in the modern Hilton style, and, comparing with other recent-build non-US Hiltons I have been to, posher than most European Hiltons such as the Munich City (electric blinds, etc.), with higher quality materials than the aforementioned London Canary Wharf and Tower Bridge properties, and better workmanship (tile grouting, tolerances in moving panels, etc.) than SE Asian ones such as the BKK or KUL Hiltons. Not quite Conrad Tokyo levels, but solidly in the top rung of new Hiltons.

The exec lounge is vast indeed, and its manager, Dolphin, very pleasant. There is one PC and a few Ethernet ports next to it, plus free wifi in the lounge; the signal covers the whole lounge, but is very weak and flaky outside of it (I tried to make a VOIP call from outside the lounge when it was closed, without success). Drinks selection is quite decent, especially the little flip-top bottles of fresh squeezed juices hidden in one of the upper glass door fridges; I believe those are actually the ones left from the lounge breakfast, and are not replenished throughout the day. I did not take a close look at the alcoholic beverages beyond the Australian wines.

Speaking of which, the breakfast served in the lounge is continental; no eggs, but usually a warm 'chef's special' is available, as are smoked salmon, lots of breads and pastries, good cereals, fresh fruits, etc. The juices from the normal juice dispenser are not fresh squeezed, but look for the colored flip-top bottles in an ice-filled container (I recommend the blood orange juice, and not whatever the grassy green one was, healthy though it tasted!)
Other reviews describe the main breakfast buffet as outstanding; I would opt for it if included in the rate, but left very full and satisfied from the exec lounge's offerings, despite my voracious appetite in the morning.

The hotel's location may not be smack in the middle of town, but it is only across a footbridge from the edge of the CBD, with several trams stopping nearby, including the free tourist line. I found it nice to be removed yet within easy reach of the urban bustle, but can see how people averse to walking might not do so. There was always at least one taxi waiting outside during my stay.

The staff I interacted with was good, but I could see that some of the more junior ones lacked a hospitality industry mentality (e.g. chatting among themselves instead of proactively tending customers); room was ready (including personalized welcome letter) despite late AM check-in. My 17th floor (18 and 19F house the apartment units) exec room felt brand-new, but the desklamp had a physically broken bulb with some glass shards on the desk. Windows were dirty enough to show on photos taken through them, but that is understandable given the dearth of water in Victoria; in a related matter, the toilets sported the most effective low-flow flushers I have witnessed! I did not have the time to fill the comment card, and was not contacted for an online survey afterwards, as is increasingly the case (only some European properties still sent me those this year).

Pricing for this property seems to be more 'dynamic' than usual, and can drop below the other and much inferior MEL Hilton's at times of low demand, even after the usual 21/30 day advance purchase rate's window. In my case, there was a prepaid rate lower than my advance purchase rate available shortly before my arrival.

If arriving from the airport by Skybus, the Hilton South Wharf is the first stop on its free minibus route from Southern Cross station, making for a quick trip.
Old Nov 27, 2009, 4:12 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, HH Blue, SPG PLatinum
Thumbs down Disappointing check in experience

Checked in late last night 11pm. Not a good impression, was asked for my 'redemption voucher' as the front desk thought I was on a reward stay, which I wasnt. Was not overed a morning paper. was told at check in executive lounge close sat night for a function, although I had called a few days before. I found out that the check in operator was knocking off at 11pm the time we checked in, so he was just in a hurry to get me out of his way. Upgraded room for guest room to deluxe, however, a non execiutive level room on level 12, although give executive level access, but the cards did not work to executive lounge so had to go back down in morning to get that fixed. The lights did not work in hall and room, very dark. They moved us to a studio apartment room level 19, however, there were no cups and saucers in room. They bought a complimentary coffee, although made me sign for it $9.00 was was only luke warm. In the morning the banging from the river started, seems they have a barge there and are banging in piles, hope they finish at 5pm, this is a Saturday. Went to executive lounge in morning for breakfast and Dolphin moves us ti a nice Yarra King apartment, although, no bathroom amenities, they havent quite got it right yet in tersm of checking rooms etc.Lounge was expansive and I guess its always going to attract functions, so expect it to be closed quite often. They are offering drinks in the bar downstairs as an alernative.

Last edited by guybaxy; Dec 1, 2009 at 4:46 am Reason: spelling
Old Nov 28, 2009, 3:29 am

Programs: QF-LTS & P, SQ-TPPS, IC-RA, HH-D, *wood G, Others
2 stays and both good experiences. Exec floor staff helpful and friendly. Not stayed enough to get to know anyone there yet.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 10:55 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Has anyone checked out their fitness facilities? Are they of decent size? Good free weights?

Last edited by danger; Dec 1, 2009 at 12:51 am
Old Jan 9, 2010, 8:12 pm

real mini bars/refrigerators or robotic mini bars?
Old Jan 10, 2010, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
IME in September, "real" ones - i/e/ no sensors
Old Jan 10, 2010, 2:27 am

Programs: QF OWE, HH D, HGP D, Starriott Plat, AA/LM/SQ/VA/QF/AS/BA
Booked a 'relaxation suite' for this coming weekend at South Wharf. Can't wait! Will post my experiences and any updates to the mini-bar.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 9:21 am

Thanks for the heads up ^
it sounds like it should be a very good experience.
Really hope this could replace the loss of the Sheraton Southgate now (The Langham) once my favorite hotel in the city
I have heard the location of the Hilton is not nearly as good

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Dec 4, 2010 at 6:08 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.