Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Non-Refundable Advance Reservations and Room Rates: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Non-Refundable Advance Reservations and Room Rates: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2014, 10:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by escape4
That said, if we get close to the summer and people are still getting shot in the city and if some tourist sites are not safely accessible, I will have to change my destination.
You're still many months away and I wouldn't be projecting so far ahead right now.

I was in Bangkok last week, and found the protests to be a minor inconvenience at worst. Bangkok is currently far safer than most major American cities. I personally would not hesitate to visit or to travel freely subject to a few minor precautions. In areas such as the river, you can't even tell there's anything unusual going on.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 11:12 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Agree with others who have posted: wait it out and see what happens. If things continue to escalate as your stay dates approach, the hotel might consider applying your payment as credit towards a future stay; I highly doubt they would give a refund.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 2:30 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Kacee
I was in Bangkok last week, and found the protests to be a minor inconvenience at worst. Bangkok is currently far safer than most major American cities. I personally would not hesitate to visit or to travel freely subject to a few minor precautions. In areas such as the river, you can't even tell there's anything unusual going on.
^ I was also in Bangkok last week (staying at the Conrad), and outside of the protest areas, it seemed as if life was going on as usual. The tourist sights were actually quite busy, as was immigration at BKK upon my departure. (The lounge at the Conrad, while not packed, was actually fuller than I had expected it would be.) Certainly monitor the situation and any new developments, but I think at this point, it's too early to be thinking about cancelling a trip that is still months away.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 3:42 pm

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
The areas of unrest are very localised - I am absolutely not even considering cancelling my April trip.

BTW: 4 weeks in BKK seems like a long time for a tourist in the city itself - you might consider leaving the bustle, just to get a breath of fresh air and a rest
Old Feb 24, 2014, 1:52 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, 20 years
Originally Posted by Kacee
Bangkok is currently far safer than most major American cities. .
I wouldn't say that for various reasons. For example Google "grenade attack Bangkok" I've heard rumors for many years that grenades can be purchased for as little as $5 at the Cambodian border. I cannot recall the last grenade attack in a US city.

If you stay away from the demonstrations it is fairly safe. But then again, there were demonstrations and violence in tourist areas like Asoke Station just recently.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 2:16 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold
I had similar issue but with Istanbul during troubles there. Pre-booked rate, they did not charge until I got there given the troubles and did not know when they would end. It was okay by time we went, and the gave us the advanced purchase rate, so no harm to write to hotel and say your concerns
Old May 14, 2014, 11:56 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Cancellation of a non refundable reservation?? Is it possible??

Please share your experience. Thanks
Old May 14, 2014, 11:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

You can cancel your reservation any time you wish.

Cheers,

Doc
Old May 15, 2014, 12:05 am

I wrote an appeal to the GM......... I await his response
Old May 15, 2014, 12:13 am
cjd

Yes, it is possible. I have done it on several occasions, but have always had to contact the hotel direct as Hilton/Hhonors is unable to change non refundable/non changeable reservations. Never been refused a change up to now.
Old May 15, 2014, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by cjd
Yes, it is possible. I have done it on several occasions, but have always had to contact the hotel direct as Hilton/Hhonors is unable to change non refundable/non changeable reservations. Never been refused a change up to now.

I reckon that a change in dates might be easier. However, I am requesting a refund/part refund in cash or in points from the GM as I will not be visiting the property in the near future. I think it is a long shot but I'll give it a try. The reservation is still some time away.

Last edited by InvestorTiger; May 15, 2014 at 3:58 am
Old May 15, 2014, 7:32 am

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
You can cancel your reservation anytime, now not having your credit card charged or getting a refund if it's prepaid is another story

A hotel is under no obligation to do anything but some will work with people.

A lot will depend on your status and if you stay with the hotel a lot as well and the reason for cancelling.

A property is going more likely to allow it for a diamond who stays there monthly and has to have surgery and obtains a doctors excuse than someone who stays at Hiltons twice a year and is cancelling because they found a better rate at another hotel down the street.

I would try the property first and explain the reason. If it's medical offer to get them a doctor's excuse. If you are diamond and you have a good excuse and the property won't help you, try the diamond desk, they can call the property and try to influence them.

You just left out too much info for people to give you good advice, mainly the reason for the cancelation and your Hilton status.
Old May 15, 2014, 7:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Many properties find it easier to change the date rather than provide a refund. The former can be done with an override key. The latter goes to the bottom line.

If the reason for the cancellation is a covered event such as illness, it's easiest to simply claim against your travel insurance.
Old May 15, 2014, 7:41 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by InvestorTiger
Please share your experience. Thanks
Originally Posted by InvestorTiger
I wrote an appeal to the GM......... I await his response
It is interesting that less than ten minutes after asking for advice you state you've already taken action.
Old May 15, 2014, 7:48 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Yes you can always cancel any reservation, I think you mean you want to cancel a non-refundable prepaid room, and get some monies back.

You can't do online or with HH desk, but ringing reception of the hotel may or may not help, depending on the reason, eg flights cancelled due to snow storm may help. I have more sucess with ringing a hotel reception than hotel reservations number.

Hotel may deal differently depending if last minute cancel request so less likely to resell, or if hotel is fully booked. As if hotel is half empty your booked room has not cost them another guests booking, unlike if hotel was fully booked.

Alas for us, hotels, especially the franchises who will never see any of your business again, hotel/franchise does not gain any loyalty from us by refunding our ADR night, so any offer of more than rescheduling booked nights is rare.

Also if a regular at an hotel it does make a differences, but then it does not matter which of refund / credit hotel gives you, as you will be there in future anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.