Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Hotel Unreasonable no refund Rules

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2008, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Urgent: I booked 3 nights as a Travel Agent, but my meeting shedule was cancelled due to the arrival of " Hanna "
I did call the res. center to change my res. for next week, but was told off that no changes could be made and refund could only be given if the Hurricane hit land!! This agent at the call center in Florida, was rude to say the least and hung-up while I was requesting to speak with a supervisor.!!!
Calling the Hotel in person did not help and their possition is; When you book online you book through a third party and the Hotel is not involved. You must note that I did call the hotel first, but was redirected to call the res. in Florida....
I must say that when you do your booking online you are looking at the Hilton reservation booking page, and your confirmation does come from Hilton.

Now that Hanna has hit land, I wonder what would be my best 'move' to try to recupe my 3 nights" Money " ????
Can anyone give some advice?
It appear that the Hilton like us to sell reservation to their Hotels... but their kindness and willingness to help their Travel Agents is ZERO.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 10:03 am

Was the rate that you booked a "NET DIRECT" rate?

If so, then the advice that you have received is correct. "Net Direct" rates are non-refundable and the inventory is controlled by some (mysterious) 3rd party.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Hilton Refund

Thanks yes , net quote ... Hotels.com was much cheaper and also no refund but did accommodated someone whom did made res. through them.

So are you saying the Hurricane hit land quote is also not going to work?

( sorry I am new to this forum, kind of need to find my way.. )
Old Sep 7, 2008, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
What location did you book?
Did the hotel remain open for all 3 days you booked?
If so, then I don't see the issue?
What part of the agreement did they fail?

Update: I don't really see this a much of a hotel deal kind of thing.. more like something that should go in the Hilton forum.
In re-reading your message, you indicate your meeting was canceled due to Hurrican Hanna.
However, as long as the hotel was open, I don't see the argument for a refund for this non-refundable booking.
That's part of the risk for non-refundable bookings, unless the rules state otherwise.

Last edited by mvoight; Sep 8, 2008 at 6:42 pm
Old Sep 7, 2008, 5:34 am

You really need to provide some clearer information.

I assume that you booked a non-refundable rate on the Hilton.com website? If so and the hotel is in the path of the storm (reasonably), then I would calmly call Hilton back and explain that your concern of the hurricane led you to not travel. But lets be realistic....if you didn't travel to Northern Virginia because there was a lot of rain then I think your out of luck.

You made a business decision when you booked a cheaper rate that was non-refundable. Personally I don't understand why hotels have started offering these rates in the past few year.....I think it just leads to greater potential for upsetting customers....I've watched people who had overnight flights cancelled arrive a day late and been told that their 5, 7 or whatever day prepaid stay was no longer valid since they didn't arrive on the proper date. Needless to say that was an ugly conversation and I agree with the customer that he paid for 5 days and if he chooses not to use the first one that is his choice.

Anyway, in the future if it involves flying book the fully flexible rate......Personally there have been very few times that I've booked a non-refundable rate and mostly it was during the same week and I was already in the area.

Good Luck (if you were staying in the path of the storm, if this is just an excuse then you made a bad decision).
Old Sep 7, 2008, 8:43 am

Programs: AGR, PC, HH no status as I stopped paying for travel
Are you a travel agent

Are you a travel agent if so thencomplain through your association. Please provide this thread full details where, when etc. Was the area under hurricane watch or warning?
Details details details then a strategy can be developed to do the RIGHT thing.
Old Sep 7, 2008, 9:44 am

Programs: AA ExPLT
Originally Posted by MacDaddie
.I've watched people who had overnight flights cancelled arrive a day late and been told that their 5, 7 or whatever day prepaid stay was no longer valid since they didn't arrive on the proper date. Needless to say that was an ugly conversation and I agree with the customer that he paid for 5 days and if he chooses not to use the first one that is his choice.
Part of the reason for the requirement to arrive as scheduled is the payment policy of the third party seller. Expedia as just one example, permits a hotel partner to charge a one night room and tax charge for any prepaid bookings that do not show by the morning after the scheduled arrival date. If the traveler wants to arrive more than a day late the hotel would receive no additional compensation other than the first night even if the guest then does not show up at all - so the hotel could get stuck holding the room empty for the guest that second night, but not able to get paid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.