Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

My boss just passed away, but he had three award rooms booked for our staff...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2008, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, SPG, HH

We're scheduled to do a four day/three day staff planning/retreat in a couple of weeks. With the economy being what it is, we decided to do it as frugally as possible. I worked with our company MR account and several of our staffers. We transferred MR points --> HH accounts, and we have 7 award rooms and two paid rooms between the three staffers (me, my boss, and his boss). We've had this booked for a couple of months.

Sadly, two weeks ago my boss died of a heart attack. I've been doing his job and my job since then. Today it dawned on me that three of the award rooms are in his name/his HH account. What do we do? I have the award certificates and reservation numbers, but we won't have him there with ID/CC/HH card. I'm assuming the hotel will understand, considering the circumstances, but I/we have a lot riding on this retreat. The rooms are over $700 each for the three nights, so this would be an additional $2,100 that we don't really have to spend right now (hence our attempt at as many free rooms as possible). We even chose Embassy Suites because of the free breakfasts - we're really stretching our budget here.

Should I be worried?
Old Sep 4, 2008, 12:43 pm
Community Director Emerita

What a difficult situation - coping with all the complications from the loss of your boss.

At a minimum, you should add the name of each person who will actually stay to the room bookings held in your boss's name. This should allow them to check in and present his award certificates.
Old Sep 4, 2008, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
At a minimum, you should add the name of each person who will actually stay to the room bookings held in your boss's name. This should allow them to check in and present his award certificates.
How do you add the names to the reservation? Where is it on the HH site?
Old Sep 4, 2008, 1:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Exclamation

This is a unique situation. As, nobody here will be able to tell you what will transpire. I would call the diamond desk (or your elite level line) or the hotel directly to seek advice. Personally, I would email my elite level email address and copy [email protected], this way you have everything in black and white.

Better to do all this IN ADVANCE than waiting until you arrive at the hotel.
Old Sep 4, 2008, 1:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by ricosuave
How do you add the names to the reservation? Where is it on the HH site?
It's done via phone.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
It's done via phone.
I often add my wife the reservation via phone, that way she can check-in without me. Even without calling its usually not an issue, but at least once I had problems so now i add her when traveling.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 11:15 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by RoadWeary
I often add my wife the reservation via phone, that way she can check-in without me. Even without calling its usually not an issue, but at least once I had problems so now i add her when traveling.
I make reservations for multiple rooms often when traveling with colleagues. I just add their names in the Notes/Comments of the reservation and never have trouble.

Well, had trouble once when the colleague didn't realise it. When she called to arrange airport transfer she was using her name instead of referring to the reservation I made in my name with her name in the comments. She thought she had no reservation so made a new one on the spot. Now my reservation for her was beyond the cancellation time. Luckily I arrived at the hotel before her and straightened the whole thing out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.