Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HGVC conversion to Honors

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2008, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA - Exec Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Spire, Hertz President Circle
Question HGVC conversion to Honors

Hello! I was looking at purchasing a Hilton timshare (HGVC) resell on ebay. Does anybody have experience with this? My main question is :

What is the conversion rate for HGVC points to HHonors points?

Thanks in advance:-:
Old Aug 18, 2008, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
The conversion rate is 1 HGVC point = 25 hhonors points. When you look at how many nights you can get with HGVC points versus what you'll get for the honors points conversion, it's a lousy deal. HGVC is great, but buy resale! For more info and help, go to www.tug2.net; there's a HGVC forum there.
Old Aug 18, 2008, 4:04 pm

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
Originally Posted by linsj
The conversion rate is 1 HGVC point = 25 hhonors points. When you look at how many nights you can get with HGVC points versus what you'll get for the honors points conversion, it's a lousy deal.
Not necessarily, it all comes down to how you spend the HHonors points. 7000 HGVC points will get you a week in a two-bedroom unit during high season (Platinum) in one of their "standard" resorts. The same amount will convert to 175,000 HHonors points, which will get you 6-nights at the Doubletree Times Square in NYC in a one-bedroom suite. That hotel bill could easily run $4K. Not such a bad deal I think, if used at properties which are very pricey (NYC, Europe, etc.).

They have a whole new category of upscale resorts (Grand Waikikian, West 57th NYC) that charge a significantly higher rate for HGVC points, making the conversion to HHonors even more appealing IMO.

Just some FYI also, HGVC just lowered the conversion rate of their points to HHonors this year (favoring HGVC members). The previous rate was 23 HHonors per HGVC point; it went up to 25:1 this year. ^

Last edited by JonathanIT; Aug 18, 2008 at 4:12 pm
Old Aug 18, 2008, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by JonathanIT
Not necessarily, it all comes down to how you spend the HHonors points.
For me, the conversion is a waste of money. My 5,000 points gives me a week in a 2-bedroom or 3+ weeks in a studio, which is all I need. I can do all 3 weeks in Hawaii off-season, which is when I vacation. Hard to trade 3 weeks for 3 nights in a category 5 or 6 hotel.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 7:46 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Just to update, and IMO whether the conversion is useful or not will depend on many variables and the individual converting (far worse conversions include the houseboat, motorcycle, cruise and OARS conversions!) the "exchange rate" continues to be 1 HGVC pt = 25 HHonors points, and one must pay $69 for an exchange of any size (same price to convert to RCI points, usable for two years, or to "Rescue" the HGVC points and use them next year.)

(Remember HHonors points include drawing PointStretcher, AXON, VIP, etc. awards.)
Old Aug 28, 2009, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Interesting.

I'm curious what kind of value a HGVC would have gets as an HH point generator...

Looking at recently closed eBay auctions, many are selling at or below $0.50 per HGVC point. For instance, one 7000 HGVC point timeshare sold for $2126. That would generate 175k HH points per year. The annual maintenance fee is $1227. The exchange is $69. If you spread the upfront cost over 10 years, that's $1508.60 per year for 175k HH points, or $0.0086 per HH point. That's a bit less than the $0.01 that you can buy them for, but a bit more than most of us value them at.

The biggest factor seems to be the annual maintenance fees. I wonder how that's calculated.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 11:25 pm

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
Originally Posted by MichaelColey
Interesting.

I'm curious what kind of value a HGVC would have gets as an HH point generator...

Looking at recently closed eBay auctions, many are selling at or below $0.50 per HGVC point. For instance, one 7000 HGVC point timeshare sold for $2126. That would generate 175k HH points per year. The annual maintenance fee is $1227. The exchange is $69. If you spread the upfront cost over 10 years, that's $1508.60 per year for 175k HH points, or $0.0086 per HH point. That's a bit less than the $0.01 that you can buy them for, but a bit more than most of us value them at.

The biggest factor seems to be the annual maintenance fees. I wonder how that's calculated.
I think the HHonors points are a big perk (I have over 700K in my account right now), but HGVC is SO much more. I really enjoy the resorts, and the new West 57th Hilton Club property in NYC is FANTASTIC. I just spent 4 nights there for 1,500 HGVC points. You do the math.

Last edited by JonathanIT; Aug 28, 2009 at 11:54 pm
Old Aug 29, 2009, 12:59 pm

Programs: HHSilver;SWACompanion;AA;CO
Your maintenance fee will vary, depending on your home resort.

We bought in LV about 10 years ago. Our maintenance fee hasn't gone up much over the years (and it's pretty low--under $900, as I recall) and we feel that we get an amazing value out of the HGVC resort & the option to convert to HH Points.

2 years ago, we needed multiple rooms over St. Patrick's day weekend for a family wedding in LV. Rooms on the Strip were running about $150/nite. I was able to borrow points and put up 13 family members (in 5 rooms ranging from 2 bedrooms to studios) at the Flamingo HGVC. I was able to construct a 3 tier wedding cake in the condo kitchen, no less! In the end run, we had some HGVC points left over, so we went back a few weeks ago to use them up. We got a 1 br. at the HGVC LV Hilton for 4 nights.

Most years, we convert the HGVC points to HH Points. We have usually managed to get at least 6 nights in a high end hotel/resort that would have cost us over $2000 for the stay. In my book, that's good value.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 3:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
Summary

For some, vacation means going to Hawaii, Orlando, Las Vegas and repeat. Nothing wrong with it, this vacation paradigm makes HGVC to HHonors conversion very poor value (and not needed).

In addition to usual HGVC hotspots mentioned above, other travelers like to explore Italy, London, Greece, Park City etc. Doing HGVC to HHonors conversion makes all the sense to this group.

Enjoy your vacations whether at HGVC hotspots or at exotic locations staying at Hilton Hotels!
Old Sep 24, 2009, 10:11 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

So I have recently inherited a HGVC week. I am new to HH, but trying to understand it.

Do I earn HH points for staying at a HGVC resort?

I am currently listed as a Silver VIP. This gives me late checkout and newspaper? I didn't get any of the waters.

If i have 7000 HGVC points and want to stay at a Hilton Resort (NOT HGVC Resort) what is the procedure?

Kind regards.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 10:19 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
JUst used 7000 HGVC points or 175,000 HIlton HOnors points for a week in Paris in a room that would have cost almost $600 per night, so the conversion was worth it.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by AMRivlin
Do I earn HH points for staying at a HGVC resort?

If i have 7000 HGVC points and want to stay at a Hilton Resort (NOT HGVC Resort) what is the procedure?
You don't earn honors points when using your HGVC points. You also don't get late checkouts in a timeshare property.

The process for converting club points to honors points is outlined on the HGVC web site. The ratio is 25 honors points per 1 club point.

Check out the HGVC forum at tug2.net; it will help you understand your ownership.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 10:18 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Does this ratio change with the new redemption levels?

Originally Posted by linsj
The process for converting club points to honors points is outlined on the HGVC web site. The ratio is 25 honors points per 1 club point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.