Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Conrad Koh Samui {THA}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Ripper3785
Great video. So you were also upgraded mid-stay? Did you ask for an upgrade at check-in or at any point. After reviewing pics and our previous stay, I think we would be fine to stick with a 100 level room unless a 2 bdrm upgrade was available.
Checked in about noon and was upgraded at 6PM. Originally was told they would try to have an upgrade by the 2nd day. I booked the day of before I left Bangkok and I was told they had already assigned the rooms for the current and next day but they would try and move some people around. My theroy is they were oversold on standard villas and had already assigned some upgrades, non Diamond, based on other factors they use when oversold and they moved someone out who had not checked in. I never asked for an upgrade but it was offered. The check in process is where I think I was most amazed. The Director of Operations personally came to the top of the mountain, where check in is located, and introduced himself and gave me an overview of the property. He mentioned the upgrade and told me the staff wold work on securing an upgrade by the next day.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 1:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by NWA012
Checked in about noon and was upgraded at 6PM. Originally was told they would try to have an upgrade by the 2nd day. I booked the day of before I left Bangkok and I was told they had already assigned the rooms for the current and next day but they would try and move some people around. My theroy is they were oversold on standard villas and had already assigned some upgrades, non Diamond, based on other factors they use when oversold and they moved someone out who had not checked in. I never asked for an upgrade but it was offered. The check in process is where I think I was most amazed. The Director of Operations personally came to the top of the mountain, where check in is located, and introduced himself and gave me an overview of the property. He mentioned the upgrade and told me the staff wold work on securing an upgrade by the next day.
Thanks very much for the info!
Old Mar 25, 2018, 10:49 am

Question Some Questions for Our Upcoming Stay at CKS

Hi all,

Read through the entire thread and have learned some great tips, so thanks for that. My fiancee and I are ending our honeymoon with 4 nights at CSK in mid-September and we are extremely excited. We'll be coming from 7 nights in Kyoto at the Ritz Carlton and spending a night in Singapore on the way to and from Koh Samui (an AirBNB to use up a gift card for one night and the IC Singapore for the other on a free night cert). We booked the CSK using my Citi Prestige's 4th night free during a Hilton SEA sale for a total of $1,600 for 4 nights in an Oceanview Retreat Pool Villa, which I'm pretty happy about since the same room for the same nights is currently going for just under $3,000. Anyway, I have a few questions that I couldn't find answers for in this thread that I would appreciate any answers you wise people can provide:

1. I believe the Retreat villas are the 300-level villas (and a few 200s?), and that means the only upgrade opportunity is the Conrad Royal Villa (which there is only one of), right? Are the 2-Bedroom villas part of the upgrade pool? We are Hilton Gold but depending on whether it is worth it to be a Diamond at this property, could be Diamond before the trip. Is it worth reaching out to the GM, Lyle Lewis before the trip to let him know it's our honeymoon?

2. While I understand the benefits of having a car, we don't think it makes sense in our situation as we would like to spend 2 full days on property/doing property activities like the boat trip to the nearby beach island, which means we only need transportation to and from the hotel and for the remaining 2 days of our stay. If we got a car, that would mean I couldn't drink while we explore the island and eat meals, which would be a drag on our honeymoon. So i'm thinking that we can get by using Samui Explorer or Mr. Samui to get to and from the hotel/airport, and using the hotel shuttle to get to Chaweng and Lamai beaches and then using NAVIGO or a taxi to get back to the hotel at night. Does this make sense? We probably will only want to go to the main beach areas and Bophut. Speaking of which, can anyone confirm whether the hotel shuttle goes to Bophut, or just to Chaweng and Lamai beaches?

3. Does anyone have any suggestions for restaurants in Chaweng, Lamai, or Bophut?

4. Should we do a Jahn tasting menu or a dinner in The Cellar? We're probably going to also do the in-room BBQ unless people have other thoughts.

5. I understand happy hour at the hotel used to be free drinks, but can someone confirm that is no longer the case and it is BOGO? Does anyone have updated happy hour locations and times?

6. Is the fire show every night? Which restaurant should we make reservations for if we want to get a good view to it, and for what time?

7. Are there any hiking trails (preferably with waterfalls or scenic overlooks) within walking distance of the hotel?

8. Related to my first question, but since we are currently Hilton Gold but could be Diamond in time for this trip, are the additional benefits worth making the effort to get to Diamond? My understanding is that the Diamond benefits have decreased in the past year, and the only real difference between Diamond and Gold local benefits are 2 extra drink coupons and maybe a higher chance of getting an upgrade (but since we're in the Retreat villas, it sounds like the chances of an upgrade are already slim).

Thanks so much! Very much looking forward to the relaxing part of our honeymoon after a week in Japan.

Last edited by mylifeis24; Mar 25, 2018 at 10:53 am Reason: Added
Old Mar 25, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mylifeis24
Hi all,

Read through the entire thread and have learned some great tips, so thanks for that. My fiancee and I are ending our honeymoon with 4 nights at CSK in mid-September and we are extremely excited. We'll be coming from 7 nights in Kyoto at the Ritz Carlton and spending a night in Singapore on the way to and from Koh Samui (an AirBNB to use up a gift card for one night and the IC Singapore for the other on a free night cert). We booked the CSK using my Citi Prestige's 4th night free during a Hilton SEA sale for a total of $1,600 for 4 nights in an Oceanview Retreat Pool Villa, which I'm pretty happy about since the same room for the same nights is currently going for just under $3,000. Anyway, I have a few questions that I couldn't find answers for in this thread that I would appreciate any answers you wise people can provide:

1. I believe the Retreat villas are the 300-level villas (and a few 200s?), and that means the only upgrade opportunity is the Conrad Royal Villa (which there is only one of), right? Are the 2-Bedroom villas part of the upgrade pool? We are Hilton Gold but depending on whether it is worth it to be a Diamond at this property, could be Diamond before the trip. Is it worth reaching out to the GM, Lyle Lewis before the trip to let him know it's our honeymoon?
There is more than one occurrence of people being upgraded to the two bedroom villas, even in the last few posts. Reaching out can't hurt and MAY get you a bottle of Prosecco.

2. While I understand the benefits of having a car, we don't think it makes sense in our situation as we would like to spend 2 full days on property/doing property activities like the boat trip to the nearby beach island, which means we only need transportation to and from the hotel and for the remaining 2 days of our stay. If we got a car, that would mean I couldn't drink while we explore the island and eat meals, which would be a drag on our honeymoon. So i'm thinking that we can get by using Samui Explorer or Mr. Samui to get to and from the hotel/airport, and using the hotel shuttle to get to Chaweng and Lamai beaches and then using NAVIGO or a taxi to get back to the hotel at night. Does this make sense? We probably will only want to go to the main beach areas and Bophut. Speaking of which, can anyone confirm whether the hotel shuttle goes to Bophut, or just to Chaweng and Lamai beaches?
Personally, I've rented a car for staying here and didn't mind if the car stayed in the hotel lot all day(4 day rental close to or not much more than two way transportation). Easy to explore the island at our own pace. I do love the property but having options for more reasonable and better food 10min away was a plus for us. Hotel food for lunch/dinner is a bit limited in quality and value for many dishes, especially the Thai ones.

I do also like to have a few drinks but never felt like the car really restricted me. I'm sure this varies for others, though. A beer with lunch while we're out seemed safe. Admittedly, driving here can be intense at times and could add stress which might be suboptimal for a honeymoon.

Believe I have only ever heard of the shuttle going to Chaweng, seems to be confirmed here: https://www.tripadvisor.com/FAQ_Answ...hewang_or.html

3. Does anyone have any suggestions for restaurants in Chaweng, Lamai, or Bophut?
I see this one mentioned often: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura..._Province.html

4. Should we do a Jahn tasting menu or a dinner in The Cellar? We're probably going to also do the in-room BBQ unless people have other thoughts.
These are all pricey options but it seems like Jahn is the most popular. We didn't do any of them last time but plan to try Jahn in Nov. Thought I'd read the in-room BBQ was a little lacking.

5. I understand happy hour at the hotel used to be free drinks, but can someone confirm that is no longer the case and it is BOGO? Does anyone have updated happy hour locations and times?
This doesn't sound right or familiar to me. Are you sure you are not mixing up the free drink chits offered to Gold and Diamonds with the BOGO Happy Hour deals? Hopefully someone else can chime in. This may clear it up:https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29513987-post535.html

6. Is the fire show every night? Which restaurant should we make reservations for if we want to get a good view to it, and for what time?
The video I see of this on Youtube looks like it's in front of the pool(Azure Bar and Grill). Not sure if it's only certain dates or if it moves venues. I imagine concierge can help you with this beforehand or when you checkin.

7. Are there any hiking trails (preferably with waterfalls or scenic overlooks) within walking distance of the hotel?
None that I have ever heard of. There is/was a little boardwalk trek over a mangrove near the bottom of the hill outside the resort, but it was in disrepair last time I was there. It's like LA, people don't walk in the resort or in/out for anything that isn't a few min walk away. Too steep. This video of the drive up the hill doesn't do it justice https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6eKTDPGXxg Remember that it's Thailand hot here.

8. Related to my first question, but since we are currently Hilton Gold but could be Diamond in time for this trip, are the additional benefits worth making the effort to get to Diamond? My understanding is that the Diamond benefits have decreased in the past year, and the only real difference between Diamond and Gold local benefits are 2 extra drink coupons and maybe a higher chance of getting an upgrade (but since we're in the Retreat villas, it sounds like the chances of an upgrade are already slim).
I believe those are the only two meaningful differences in gold vs. diamond treatment.

Thanks so much! Very much looking forward to the relaxing part of our honeymoon after a week in Japan.
Congrats on your upcoming nuptials!
Old Mar 25, 2018, 12:42 pm

@1. Yes, the 2-bedrooms villas are part of the upgrade pool. And it often makes sense to contact the hotel before, even if it doesn't guarantee anything.

@2. I didn't use the hotel shuttle yet, but officially it goes to Lamai and Chaweng. But it shouldn't be a problem to get a taxi from Chaweng to Bophut.

@4. I think, Jahn makes sense from the romantic point of view and to have made that experience. The food is ok, but not the gourmet experience you might expect for the price as long as you don't get discount by the Hilton Premium Club Asia.

@7. Actually even the exit of the hotel area is not really in walking distance of any room or the welcome lounge. There are enough places for a scenic overlook at the hotel area, but no waterfall in walking distance.

@8. I think, that the chances for an upgrade at CKS are quite good and in September, which is low-season, they will be even better. If you get an upgrade from Oceanview Retreat Villa, you will have a bigger private pool, which is nice, and more space inside, which you won't use. But there can always be a wedding or something like that at the hotel itself, which means that these guests have priority for an upgrade. Personally I think, that if you are travelling with 1 or 2 people in total there is no reason to book something else than the Beachfront Villa and no reason to be sad, if you don't get an upgrade. But concerning your question: I agree that it is not worth to make special effort to be DIA before for the stay at the CKS.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 9:48 am

The only free drinks at CKS are those from the vouchers.

8. My understanding is that the Diamond benefits have decreased in the past year, and the only real difference between Diamond and Gold local benefits are 2 extra drink coupons and maybe a higher chance of getting an upgrade (but since we're in the Retreat villas, it sounds like the chances of an upgrade are already slim).
Right.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 12:36 pm

The above posts have been very helpful as we'all be staying there next week. We have two kids and I was wondering if they provide sufficient water DAILY in every room or if we'd be paying silly prices.

Also do the basic villas also have board games? If yes, it would save us a small roll on given the amount of games my kids are packing! Any other tips for people with kids would be appreciated such as recommended activities at the kids club. We don't plan on going out much other than an excursion and a trip to the town. We have bought the Hilton Premium Thailand to reduce food cost.

As a Diamond they have offered complimentary breakfast to my kids too which is a good saving over 8 days and the drink vouchers. Not sure if these are few for Gold too.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 9:57 pm

Programs: AC Altitude SE100K, HH Diamond
Here now and can assure you there is a plentiful supply of complimentary water bottles constantly (room make-up, turn down etc.) replenished. I haven't seen any board games but would not be surprised if they're available - plenty of young children here. Everyone eager to do whatever they can to make your stay a pleasant one. Fantastic place.

Last edited by AleEat; Mar 28, 2018 at 10:00 pm Reason: spelling
Old Apr 2, 2018, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by s879
The above posts have been very helpful as we'all be staying there next week. We have two kids and I was wondering if they provide sufficient water DAILY in every room or if we'd be paying silly prices.
Yes, they will provide adequate water as per your requirements.

Originally Posted by s879
Also do the basic villas also have board games? If yes, it would save us a small roll on given the amount of games my kids are packing!
Yes, there are a few in every villa.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 1:32 pm

I only remember board games years ago in the retreat villas, definitely not in the standard 200's units.

Don't recall seeing them in more recent stays in the royal or 2-bedroom villas, then again I was too busy enjoying the upgrades to look for them.
They may be a victim of cost cuts (I surmise some of the pieces get lost over time), as many of the posh 'take-home' accessories only found in the opening years: organic insect repellent, thick cotton laundry bags, cotton stationary, better quality pens, waffle pattern slippers, etc. Not a specific criticism of the CKS, as those have been disappearing industry-wide from all but top luxury hotels.

As for upgrades, my own experience is that the CKS takes very good care of elite guests with a multi-stay (5+) history.

Last edited by monahos; Apr 2, 2018 at 1:40 pm
Old Apr 6, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: Gold SPG Gold Marriott Gold HH
Originally Posted by AleEat
Here now and can assure you there is a plentiful supply of complimentary water bottles constantly (room make-up, turn down etc.) replenished. I haven't seen any board games but would not be surprised if they're available - plenty of young children here. Everyone eager to do whatever they can to make your stay a pleasant one. Fantastic place.
I just read a 2015 review by Jarvis Marcos (link below), which mentions that there are board games in the wooden box in the room. It's worth a look. Please report back to the rest of us I will be staying there in August.

http://www.jarvismarcos.com/2016/10/...y-2015-part-1/
Old Apr 23, 2018, 4:56 pm

For those that stayed with kids, do you recommend this location?

I am in total awe of the villa and private pool and would love to bring the kids here. Will this be a boring hotel for kids aside from pool?
Old Apr 23, 2018, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by ponickka
For those that stayed with kids, do you recommend this location?

I am in total awe of the villa and private pool and would love to bring the kids here. Will this be a boring hotel for kids aside from pool?
Really depends on your kids. How old are they?

We were there a couple weeks ago with our two little ones (3yrs and 10 months old). My three year old LOVED the pool. He never wanted to leave the villa. The breakfast was phenomenal (we are Gold and free breakfast was really nice during our 5 night stay).

The Turtle club is also good (not the greatest, but amused our kid for an hour or two on few days).

So it really depends on your children. If you have specific questions feel free to ask! There is also the bus shuttle and boat excursion they offer which can get you out of the resort (personally I had no problems staying in my villa the whole time I was there!).
Old Apr 24, 2018, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by msfrugalista

Really depends on your kids. How old are they?

We were there a couple weeks ago with our two little ones (3yrs and 10 months old). My three year old LOVED the pool. He never wanted to leave the villa. The breakfast was phenomenal (we are Gold and free breakfast was really nice during our 5 night stay).

The Turtle club is also good (not the greatest, but amused our kid for an hour or two on few days).

So it really depends on your children. If you have specific questions feel free to ask! There is also the bus shuttle and boat excursion they offer which can get you out of the resort (personally I had no problems staying in my villa the whole time I was there!).
Ages 5 & 7. They love the pool (with floaties of course) but I don't think they can be there all day. We do plan on venturing out but obviously nothing too far and most importantly, somewhere that is safe and sound.

As for the Breakfast, were you able to take advantage as room service or must be at the restaurant? (I am diamond status if that helps).
Old Apr 25, 2018, 7:57 am

Yes, the CKS is in general a nice and beautiful place also for children. The 2-room-villas should be more suitable for two adults and two kids.

Of course you can have breakfast as room service. But that is not covered by the free breakfast that comes with Gold or Diamond status or which is included in a rate. The free breakfast is available at the restaurant Zest.

Personally I would not stay at the CKS with children of that age. I'm very careful with kids and pools, especially if you can't lock the door to the ppol with a key. With kids I would also prefer a hotel, where the most important things (room, beach, restaurant, exit) are more or less on the same level, where you don't need a golf buggy for transprotation within the hotel area. But that is just my personal point of view.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.