Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Car got broken in on Hilton parking lot.... compensation?

Old Mar 6, 2008, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold, SPG Plat

My car was parked on a private parking lot, belonging to a Hilton property in NY State (I won´t publicly tell which one). It got broken in, as did two other cars the same night. Another two cars had the same destiny last week.

Do you think I should ask for some sort of compensation here? BTW, it`s a rather long-term stay....
Old Mar 6, 2008, 8:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
I don't think so. What could they have done to stop it from happening? I'm sure there is some waiver you accepted by parking there that they aren't responsible. I'd file this under the "unfortunate things happen" heading.

Sorry to hear about it though.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 8:53 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Platinum
Even valet parking comes with the warning that "no bailment is created." Certainly, a hotel which provides "parking as a courtesy" doesn't assume liability for your voluntary parking on their lot. Unfortunately, there are bad guys out there. The first thing people do is look for someone to blame when something bad happens. It's not the hotel; it's the bad guys.

Contact your homeowner's insurance carrier.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 9:20 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
wow...just wow.

I'm sorry that you're car was vandalized, but I find it odd you're worried about compensation? Please fill out a police report and alert your insurance company.

You won't say what property!

In the spirit of flyertalk it would be nice if you give the name of the property.

If you knew that this had taken place wouldn't you want that bit of information in advance?? This way future guests are aware that this parking lot might not be safe and then determine whether they should move their booking to another property or if they decide to keep the reservation make an informed decision on whether to park their car at this property.

Don't you want to spare (no pun intended) someone the pain and agony you are currently experiencing??

Help others by alerting us which property, you could potential prevent another persons car from being vandalized.

Last edited by KENNECTED; Mar 6, 2008 at 3:33 pm
Old Mar 6, 2008, 9:23 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Just about every hotel I stay at has had a sign either in the parking lot or near the front entrance that states something to the effect of "Parkers assume all risk" or "Hotel accepts no risk for cars parked on this property."
Old Mar 6, 2008, 9:31 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
TS Cards punched in Chaplain's Office

Originally Posted by berlinflyer
My car was parked on a private parking lot, belonging to a Hilton property in NY State (I won´t publicly tell which one). It got broken in, as did two other cars the same night. Another two cars had the same destiny last week.
Do you think I should ask for some sort of compensation here? BTW, it`s a rather long-term stay....
If by virtue of this incident you are only now learning that in almost every case, commercail and hotel parking lots claim and have established in law no liability for this sort of event. Some states require signage in the facility, while others require it to be otherwise published, but I cannot imagine having traveled by auto (or driven much in one's own city) without having learned this, one of life's bitter lessons.

Don't leave "nuffin" in your room either!

While your auto insurance may not cover events like this (except as damage to the auto above your "deductible", your "Homeowners' Insurance" may offer some recovery from theft (but these days come with ever increasing deductible limits).
Old Mar 6, 2008, 10:52 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I think El Pelón is right about this... even caveats about anything of value left in our rooms are given, so I suspect tennster's language applies.

Sometimes, knowing I am not covered either way, I practice a little risk management and choose a Park and Fly at the SFO DoubleTree because it is in a gated lot with an attendant at least some of the time, and select a spot in view of the lobby, as opposed to a room and a free lot adjacent to the local county park lot at the Embassy Suites - I have seen drug deals and drinking at the lot next to the ES.

But these days are a bit risky - your car can be broken in for your goods, entertainment, air bag - and even your catalytic converter is at risk of theft. If your auto or homeowner policies cover the theft, you have to decide whether to file a claim (and risk unfavorable treatment at renewal time.)

(Mejor pelón que pelado... )
Old Mar 6, 2008, 4:37 pm

Programs: DL, BA, AA, UA, HHonors, PC
I understand however on the flip side I would tell the front desk. (I am sure you did.) Also, was there security/security guards? I have been to properties with them, and I would at least ask where they were the night of the break-in. Where there security camera and if so who was watching them? The hotel is not at fault but if some form of so called 'protection' was in place I would be asking the GM why it didn't work-especially on a longer term stay.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 5:05 pm

Programs: United 0, HH Gold
Keep in mind, just because there's a sign that says "we are not liable" does not mean you've signed away all of your rights and the hotel is not partially responsible. Those signs are kind of a lawyers trick to encourage people not to sue.

I'd contact the hotel - or send a letter to the corporate office.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 7:15 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
If you were parked in a Sears parking lot and your car was broken into, would you expect compensation from Sears? Regardless of whether the hotel had security staff on duty or not, regardless of whether they had signs or not, why would you think they would be responsible?
Old Mar 6, 2008, 9:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta, American, USAir, Continental, Northwest, United, AirTran, SouthWest, Midwest
Couldn't hurt to ask, but I don't think they're obligated.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 12:03 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
I think there are too many variables to clearly say that the hotel does or does not bear a greater responsibility. It would be interesting to hear of the security measures in place.

I know of some Hiltons in Europe whose parking lot is across the street from the hotel and unsecured, and others whose parking lot is totally private and accessable to valets and guests only. My expectation of security is different for those two models. If the lot is wide open and unsecured (even if it's considered the Hilton's private lot), I wouldn't expect anything of the hotel.

But if there was some/any form of security in place, I'd also be considering pursuing something from the hotel. Even more so if you only found out about last week's break-ins by telling them about yours. They should've been warning their guests in light of the situation.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 7:37 pm

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
Originally Posted by lougord99
If you were parked in a Sears parking lot and your car was broken into, would you expect compensation from Sears? Regardless of whether the hotel had security staff on duty or not, regardless of whether they had signs or not, why would you think they would be responsible?
I don't PAY to park at Sears, but I do PAY to park at a hotel. Along with that payment I expect some security.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 9:27 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Originally Posted by MKEbound
I don't PAY to park at Sears, but I do PAY to park at a hotel. Along with that payment I expect some security.
Parking at Sears is not free. You pay one way or another.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 9:42 pm

I would say compensation is not warranted unless it was a hotel employee who did it

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.