Hilton Prague Old Town {CZE}

Old Aug 15, 2009, 7:44 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
I have updated my post upthread to mention that Gordon Ramsay pulled out of providing restaurant services (as well as lobby bar and room service, which he stated had contributed significantly to that location's financial losses, in a recent article in, iirc, the IHT,) at the Hilton Prague Old Town; Ramsay basically sold the restaurant back to the hotel.

An article in the Prague Post says more, as do this one in the Times online and this one in the Scotsman online

If anyone stops by, please update us on the restaurant and new providers.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 11:39 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Looking at a 2-night stay in Prague, as a tourist, and HHonors Diamond. Would be arriving and departing by train. There are 2 of us. I've been to Prague before (back in 1994), but he hasn't. For a short stay like this, and for convenience sake, I'm looking more at the Old Town location.

What say the experts?
Old Sep 12, 2009, 11:46 am
Suspended

I clearly prefer the other Hilton. It is not only much bigger. It offers also much better service and amenities. Better spa area, perfect lounge, late check-out is no problem etc. I was only once in the old town Hilton and several times in the other. I would not want to go back to the old town.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 1:32 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Sounds like the Sheraton is much better then Old Town Hilton
Any recent reports for Old Town?
Old Feb 3, 2010, 7:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Sounds like the Sheraton is much better then Old Town Hilton
Any recent reports for Old Town?
Or simply stay at The Marriott which is across the street from The Hilton Old Town (old Renaissance) which is a very nice Hotel indeed.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 8:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hhonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, AVIS Presidents' Club
I am just back from Hilton Prague Old Town and it seems I have to defend this property

First of all, after reading this thread, I know now why I had such a deja vu... I used to stay twice in Reneissance but that was further down the street towards the city center, wasnt it? Hmmm...

Anyway, stay was great. Far much better than in Reneissance... I used to get a room there that was a hole only, not joking, without basically no window, looking inside to some internal area and darkness. But now, it was a new World.... straight went up to the Executive floor, checked in. I got in quite late and they helped me to pick up some beer and food from the lounge and put it into my room where the welcome letter already was waiting for me with some drinks and quite a few fruits, cake, nuts whatever... nice! Staff was great, always attentive, helpful.

The best I keep it for the end, it was an upgrade to a King Junior Suite though I booked the room with Diamond force quite late, expecting no vacancy at all, they still could surprise me with a nice upgrade. Well done!

Obviously, location is just superb, strongly recommended!!!
Old Sep 12, 2010, 8:27 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Wadge
...straight went up to the Executive floor, checked in. I got in quite late and they helped me to pick up some beer and food from the lounge and put it into my room where the welcome letter already was waiting for me with some drinks and quite a few fruits, cake, nuts whatever... nice! Staff was great, always attentive, helpful...
Great to read! ^ ^

That is so vastly different from our experience in 2009. Is is still the same cramped little lounge just off the lobby? What was the food like?

A few more reports like this to indicate it's the new norm and not an exception and we might even consider giving them another try on our next trip to Prague, despite what was our worst overseas Hilton experience, indeed the only one I'd refer to as a negative* experience.

*NB The Buenos Aires Hilton slipped badly on our most recent stay earlier this year but it was still in the "positive" range and we're giving them another try early in 2011.

Last edited by Fredd; Mar 24, 2012 at 9:06 am
Old Sep 12, 2010, 12:23 pm

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
[QUOTE=Fredd;14643500]
Originally Posted by Wadge
...straight went up to the Executive floor, checked in. I got in quite late and they helped me to pick up some beer and food from the lounge and put it into my room where the welcome letter already was waiting for me with some drinks and quite a few fruits, cake, nuts whatever... nice! Staff was great, always attentive, helpful...QUOTE]

Great to read! ^ ^

That is so vastly different from our experience in 2009. Is is still the same cramped little lounge just off the lobby? What was the food like?

A few more reports like this to indicate it's the new norm and not an exception and we might even consider giving them another try on our next trip to Prague, despite what was our worst overseas Hilton experience, indeed the only one I'd refer to as a negative* experience.

*NB The Buenos Aires Hilton slipped badly on our most recent stay earlier this year but it was still in the "positive" range and we're giving them another try early in 2011.
There is a new EL in the top floor(5th or 6th, cannot remember exactly).
It is slightly better than the old EL next to the lobby but nothing to write home about it, and naturally, miles away from the fabolous EL at the Hilton Prague.
I stayed there with Mrs Saviox last December and they granted us EL access(only HH G at that time), but the room was very basic. On my previous stay, solo, the room was much better.
The location is great to visit the main touristic attractions.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 1:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hhonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, AVIS Presidents' Club
It is on the 8th floor now on the Executive floor, 9th floor is also Executive. The lounge is nothing special as others have said, nice, little room on the corner, overviewing part of the city. The breakfast is some eggs and sausage and so on, nice coffee from real machine, not that "Hilton" liquid coffee served in 5 liter tanks. Dinner is some mini hot food and mainly canapes. Spirits from 6pm and regular stuff in the fridge. It is nothing super special but far more than enough. Mainly as I just jumped in for a day, as I read somewhere, such upgrades happen only when you pop in for a short stay or leave early next day to the airport etc...

I know most of the people here are crazy about Executive lounges and it counts deeply when they choose a hotel but my favourite is The Trafalgar in London. It has no any lounge, just a new style boutique hotel but I get everything I want anyway. Brilliant breakfast, nice dinner... the client manager holds an open bar evening every Tuesday... more than enough for anything. Not mentioning all the "amenities" I get in my room almost every second day... sometimes I have no chance to eat or drink them.
Old May 21, 2011, 5:25 am

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Gold, HH D
I just had two stays in this hotel. My impressions:

- upgraded to executive floor both stays
- lovely arrival gift waiting for me, which was refreshed every night. It included small dessert items, a full plate of fruit, water, nuts, chips, etc. In fact on one evening someone knocked on our door and presented me with two small desserts (a mini chocolate mousse and cheesecake) from the lounge just because. Quite a nice touch!
- Breakfast and snacks in the lounge were lovely. Eggs, sausage, ham, breads, jam, coffee, cappuccino, and fruit available for breakfast.
- The lounge was open until 10 or 11 at night, and you could go in at any time to get a bottle of water or beer. There was a fair selection of beer, wine, spirits, and snacks available in the evenings.

I think they often took the spillover from the kitchen downstairs and served it here as snacks. Quite often we had high quality nibbles of sushi, pickled herring (better than it sounds), small sandwiches, melon with prosciutto, and other tasty treats. It varied a lot from day to day though.

The room itself was nice, with a lighted headboard and well-appointed bathroom. The lighted makeup mirror was a hit, as was the heated floor. So nice to step on when getting out of the shower!

The real standout for me though was the executive lounge staff. Friendly, helpful, and always ready to give tips on local food and directions to attractions.

Overall I liked this hotel best out of any I stayed in on my trip, including two Cat 7s.
Old May 22, 2011, 8:44 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
phedre, this is the Old Town property you are speaking of, yes?
Old May 23, 2011, 6:50 am

Programs: LH SEN, Hilton Diamond, AF/KL & BA basic memberships, Tufty Club Exec Plutonium
Originally Posted by JDiver
phedre, this is the Old Town property you are speaking of, yes?
Sounds about right, I've been using Old Town for a while now and the snacks in the lounge can be very good, I suspect they are from the restaurant as well. Also as a multi-stay (albeit a gold), I'm getting some quite nice rooms as well.

Also, room service here served me the best Hilton Burger ever and that's a menu item I'm far too familar with.

Last Prague Trip
Old May 23, 2011, 9:29 am

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Gold, HH D
Yes, it was the Prague Old Town.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Stayed on Points, was assigned a junior suite which shows a bit of age, but was nice in size. Bed comfortable, room was fine.

- Check in was easy, friendly. The mgr stepped in to take the next person when it seemed a line was forming.
- Lounge staff was superb. They did more than the Hilton Prague folks in that they also would perform some concierge service, versus the Hilton Prague where they too were excellent, but mostly involved with the food service
- Lounge was okay, standard small lounge without the attached kitchen available. Offerings were diverse and plenty over the course of the day. Pretty much continual offering of some sort from 2 pm until closing.
- WiFi for me worked better in lounge than in my room (okay, just on/off dropping), there was also two public PCs available for use
- Beer avaialble in the self serve fridge, wine and hard liquor was put out later in the day
- They offered evian water ^
- Welcome amenity was large bottle of evian (^ better than wine for me), a fruit plate, a plate with some carpaccio type meat and a small nut/cracker mix of some sort.

- Turndown service was a debacle ... They only put two of each towel into the room. So the first night they picked up the used towels from the floor and hung them up, really kind of gross - no replacement/fresh towels. Second night (after complaint), they removed used towels but didn't replace them (left with one unused one). Third day (also after complaint) they left 4 towels of each type in the room after the morning service, and I didn't let turndown service back in the room until after check out
- I received a bottle of champagne as an apology with other goodies over the course of the stay.

The vibe in this hotel was so different from Hilton Prague. This is a smaller place, not as fresh or new. The concierge as well as the lounge staff were friendlier (really disliked the service I -didn't- get from the concierge at Hilton Prague), but you also get a lower overall quality in some ways. It's more old school, which was fine for me.

Location is at the cross roads of two different sets of trams/buses, as well as right next to the metro, so really just a superb location. Easy to get to just about anything.

Oh, and if visiting Prague definitely get a Thai Massage during your visit
Old Jun 23, 2011, 7:53 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum; HHonors Diamond;Emerald Club Executive Elite
Stayed here in October and thought it was a good hotel in a great location...walking distance from train station and close to all the tourist sites. Staff was great, especially in the lounge, and I'd definitely recommend this place. Only problem (not really a problem) is that the lounge gets crowded for breakfast and happy hour.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.