Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Waldorf Astoria Park City {US-UT}

Waldorf Astoria Park City {US-UT}

Old Jan 30, 2011, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2mm SPG Gold HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Roka
Does any one know what specifically the shuttle/car service they operate to Deer Valley for skiing? Is it a car or shuttle? Do they operate on a regular schedule or by request?
I believe it is a shuttel that goes on a schedule once an hour. This is what the hotel told me. I am going there next week.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 9:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat
Another question on this property

I've got a King Suite booked (paid res) in March. Thinking maybe we'll get upgraded to a two bedroom as a Diamond.

I booked the res for Mrs. Sawtooth and me but our next door neighbors think they might like to join us for the weekend portion of our week long trip.

Given that even the suite we booked has a pull out (if we don't get upgraded) do you think the hotel will have an issue with a couple other folks in our room for a couple nights?

Note: When booking, I chose "two adults."
Old Jan 30, 2011, 10:37 pm

Programs: DL, Hilton, National
Here is a (somewhat modified) repost of a review of the resort from the Dakota Mountain Lodge listing (perhaps mods could merge):

Had a 3 night stay second week of January.

I booked three nights -- two using q3fn that were going to expire and then paying for the third night. I booked the entry level room, 2 Queen Fireplace Room. I did opt for the NOR-1 upgrade, since it was ski season and I wan't sure I would get much of a bump without selecting that. Plus I was willing to pay for a suite. I also emailed the gm and reservations and never got a response.

When my colleague arrived, he initially declined the upgrade since we needed two beds. He took one look at the 2 Queen and went back to the front desk and asked to be upgraded. They did and it was definitely the right decision. The sleeper sofa was a tempeurpedic foam type-- very firm-- and very comfortable. The upgraded room was a King Suite-- very nice. Two fireplaces, full kitchen with Viking appliances, two full bathrooms. Master with jetted tub and shower, other with just a shower.

Really nice touches throughout-- including stuff like lighting underneath the vanity and lower cabinets in the kitchen, great flatscreen tvs, comfortable furniture. The rooms were very nice... among the best I've seen.

When I arrived, they immediately took all of my bags, groceries I had picked up, and everything. The front desk greeted me by name (I suppose by a guess) and the continuously did the rest of the stay.

The valets and bellhops all wear an odd sort of Charles Dickens-wear. They were good about giving advice but also not harassing anyone. They mentioned a great ski rental place that brings the skis right to your room for a fitting and comes and gets them as well. The delivery service they recommended was great and very responsive, and according to the bellhop, cheaper than the in-hotel ski shop. (www.skisontherun.com)

By far, though, this is a great place to ski. There is a great boot room where you're welcome to leave your boots, where they keep a steady supply of hot cider and cocoa, and where they will call for your skis for you right out of the locker. You just put on your boots, walk outside, and the skis are already at the gondola waiting for you. About 50 feet walk, or they will shuttle you (kind of crazy!). They put your skis on the gondola and they do the same on the return. When you get back, they literally pull your boots off your feet for you and give you a pair of slippers to wear back to your room. I thought that was a bit much, but by the end, I was one of the crowd wearing the standard WA slippers. I do not think the gondola was painfully slow... just the boarding process.

All this to say, the service is truly top-notch.

The place certainly isn't cheap-- and the constant tipping is an added expense to be considered. I was there three nights and tipped at least $100 before it was all over. But I was probably a little more generous than I had to be since I wasn't paying for the first two nights.

For the first two nights using a q3fn, there were NO charges on my bill at all. The other night, all the taxes, fees, and resort charge was added. But it was well worth it. Parking, internet, and constant amenities like the hot drinks, cold water when the valet came, and slippers, towels, etc., made it worth it.

The pool and hottub are outdoor, but year round and immaculate.

On a side-note, the Canyons is probably my favorite mountain I've skied. I've skied Park and Deer there and liked the Canyons the best as an intermediate to expert skier. It is absolutely huge and every person is above the mark in being courteous, professional, and in customer service. I highly recommend it.

Oh, also, I'm only gold.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 7:54 am

Programs: HH Diamond WN CP MR Gold
paterwdb- thanks for the reply. If I am treated even half as nicely as they treated you I will be very pleased. Hopefully we will be upgraded to a full kitchen suite which I won't mind the upcharges for.
Aewanabe- I hope you are enjoying your honeymoon. Look forward to reading your hotel review.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 2:42 pm

Location: BOS. Postings are my personal observations and opinions only and do not reflect the official position of JetBlue Airways.
Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Hertz PC, Amtrak Guest Rewards, Bonvoy Ambassador
Thumbs up Honeymoon Review.

Originally Posted by Bushwacker
paterwdb- thanks for the reply. If I am treated even half as nicely as they treated you I will be very pleased. Hopefully we will be upgraded to a full kitchen suite which I won't mind the upcharges for.
Aewanabe- I hope you are enjoying your honeymoon. Look forward to reading your hotel review.
We're just back to earth, from a fantastic honeymoon. Hotel staff was excellent, from bell services, to front desk staff, to management and concierge. This is only my second stay at a Waldorf property (the first being the W-A El Conquistador for a wedding). The staff here blew away the Fajardo staff by a wide margin, in terms of overall politeness and general warmth.

I had spoken directly with a guest services manager on the phone about a week before check-in, after my disastrous call with the DD. (I should note that a DD supervisor pm'd me through here and followed up with the agents involved; it's no surprise they were, indeed, general agents handling over-flow volume).

At check in the same manager met us after bell services parked the car. We received sincere welcomes, more apologies about our experience with Hhonors, and an announcement that we had been double-upgraded from our King room to a whirlpool suite with w/d. The hotel provides the standard 1 free movie, 1000 points, and 10 percent discount at Golden Door and Spruce for Diamonds. Newspapers are available in the lobby, or your choice will be delivered if you ask. The room was beautiful, probably 1000 sq. ft total, with spectacular views of the pool area and the Canyons base area beyond.

I don't have time for a very detailed review right now; in short, the ski valet service was wonderful (we're far too spoiled now), Golden Door very nice but also pricey, Spruce was so-so (good drinks, appetizer, and soups/salad, mediocre entrees). Housekeeping responded to requests usually within 5 minutes. In-room dining quality ranged from average to superb, depending on the items.

Echoing someone's earlier review, the people really make this property. I fully intend to write a glowing note to the GM, and will be happy to provide more detailed info should any of you ask.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 7:31 pm

I'm heading to this hotel on Thursday using 4 Q3FNs. Unfortunately the hotel is now sold out for those dates so I guess I will not be getting an upgrade.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by Aewanabe
We're just back to earth, from a fantastic honeymoon. Hotel staff was excellent, from bell services, to front desk staff, to management and concierge. This is only my second stay at a Waldorf property (the first being the W-A El Conquistador for a wedding). The staff here blew away the Fajardo staff by a wide margin, in terms of overall politeness and general warmth.

I had spoken directly with a guest services manager on the phone about a week before check-in, after my disastrous call with the DD. (I should note that a DD supervisor pm'd me through here and followed up with the agents involved; it's no surprise they were, indeed, general agents handling over-flow volume).

At check in the same manager met us after bell services parked the car. We received sincere welcomes, more apologies about our experience with Hhonors, and an announcement that we had been double-upgraded from our King room to a whirlpool suite with w/d. The hotel provides the standard 1 free movie, 1000 points, and 10 percent discount at Golden Door and Spruce for Diamonds. Newspapers are available in the lobby, or your choice will be delivered if you ask. The room was beautiful, probably 1000 sq. ft total, with spectacular views of the pool area and the Canyons base area beyond.

I don't have time for a very detailed review right now; in short, the ski valet service was wonderful (we're far too spoiled now), Golden Door very nice but also pricey, Spruce was so-so (good drinks, appetizer, and soups/salad, mediocre entrees). Housekeeping responded to requests usually within 5 minutes. In-room dining quality ranged from average to superb, depending on the items.

Echoing someone's earlier review, the people really make this property. I fully intend to write a glowing note to the GM, and will be happy to provide more detailed info should any of you ask.
No breakfast for diamonds, right?
Old Feb 7, 2011, 10:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond, National Executive, Starwood Gold
No breakfast for diamonds, right?
They don't have a standard Hilton breakfast. The thing to do at this property is get a suite with a kitchen and stock it for breakfast. Enjoy the views from your suite while you have breakfast in your living room.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by businesstraveller2
They don't have a standard Hilton breakfast. The thing to do at this property is get a suite with a kitchen and stock it for breakfast. Enjoy the views from your suite while you have breakfast in your living room.
Thanks. I have do have a suite reserved (not sure about the view though...) Suggestions on where to stock up? Also, do they have typical stuff needed for cooking hopefully? (pots, pans, silverware, dishware, paper towels, coffee maker, etc.)
Old Feb 7, 2011, 11:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond, National Executive, Starwood Gold
Thanks. I have do have a suite reserved (not sure about the view though...) Suggestions on where to stock up? Also, do they have typical stuff needed for cooking hopefully? (pots, pans, silverware, dishware, paper towels, coffee maker, etc.)
The kitchen is very well stocked in terms of stuff needed for cooking. Ours had high end cutlery (Wusthof or something like that) high quality plates, large coffee maker (but remember to keep the lid on when you brew), plenty of cooking stuff no worries there. It comes with coffee packets but nothing else in terms of food you need to buy food. There is a large grocery store down the street towards the freeway where you can get everything. The mexican restaurant over there (something lizard) is also very good. We had a party in our suite one night catered by the lizard place - take out. If you are diamond hopefully they will give you a suite with a nice view. I was only silver at the time but we had a fab view. If you show up with piles of groceries the valet people will carry them up to your room. There is only valet parking but they will treat you well. They carried all our takeout food for us (some in boxes) up to our room did not bat an eye that we were bringing in takeout for a party in our suite.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by businesstraveller2
The kitchen is very well stocked in terms of stuff needed for cooking. Ours had high end cutlery (Wusthof or something like that) high quality plates, large coffee maker (but remember to keep the lid on when you brew), plenty of cooking stuff no worries there. It comes with coffee packets but nothing else in terms of food you need to buy food. There is a large grocery store down the street towards the freeway where you can get everything. The mexican restaurant over there (something lizard) is also very good. We had a party in our suite one night catered by the lizard place - take out. If you are diamond hopefully they will give you a suite with a nice view. I was only silver at the time but we had a fab view. If you show up with piles of groceries the valet people will carry them up to your room. There is only valet parking but they will treat you well. They carried all our takeout food for us (some in boxes) up to our room did not bat an eye that we were bringing in takeout for a party in our suite.
Thanks very much for the tips.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 9:19 pm

Sure thing. If you are driving up from Salt Lake - when you get off the freeway right away there is a major shopping area with a large grocery store and strip mall. I forget the name but I think they took my Ralph's card so it should be a major chain. That would be a good place to pick up stuff before checking in, then you can get them to carry your groceries up to the room along with your luggage. There should be tons of people waiting around to help you when you get there. The hotel food is fancy definitely not comfort food so I suggest to pick up whatever comfort type food you might want for your room. The chef at the Waldorf goes a little overboard IMO in terms of adding unusual stuff to the food. I remember weird stuff in the ice cream. You will get to the Canyons (where the Waldorf is) before you get into town and downtown park city is all cutsie boutiques and complicated parking so better to grab the stuff at the strip mall. I think there is a liquor store over there as well.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 8:55 am

I just had a great 4 night stay at thsi hotel. It is one of Hiltons top hotels. I used 4 Q3FN certificates. Depsite the hotel being sold out I was still upgraded to a 1 bedroom suite and given a room at 9:30am. There was a snowboarding race going on so that is why the hotel was sold out. Sprint booked a lot of room to entertain their clients. So thats proably why I got the upgrade. The hotel is really great. Service is really good. The gym could be better. Not that I used it buy my wife did. My only complaint is the hot tubs need to be hotter and the jets and not hard enough. The froswood gondola is very close to the hotel. You usually get transported in a golf cart and the skis goes in another one. I skied in both Canyons and Deer Valley. I would say that Canyons is better as it is much bigger and has longer runs. My only complaint with Canyons is they have several slow lifts. I heard that they should be upgrading 1 or 2 of those next year. The new orange bubble lift is awesome.
This hotel is one of the best used of 50,000 points which is what is costs from February. It is the best Hilton hotel if you want to ski. The only other one I know of is the ES in South Lake Tahoe. That hotel is a really bad use of points as it is also 50,000 points but the rates are less than 1/3 of the rate of the WA.
I will be returning to the WA.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by sawtooth
I'm staying there in early March and have few questions.

We've never skiied Utah's Park City side and I've heard mixed reviews about the Canyons. Does the hotel offer a shuttle to PCMR and Deer Valley? If so, is that a drag?

The more I read about the Canyons, the more I'm thinking I should have just rented a condo in Sandy and skiied Alta and Snowbird again.

Reassurances?
park city has a free bus it should go from canyons to the other resorts in town.

canyons has a gondola goes over a very very deep gorge. i have to shut my eyes or look the other way when i go over that thing. i've only been in summer don't know about the ski season. waldorf has a small cabriolet goes from the hotel to the top of the canyons resort area where you pick up the gondola.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by sawtooth
I'm staying there in early March and have few questions.

We've never skiied Utah's Park City side and I've heard mixed reviews about the Canyons. Does the hotel offer a shuttle to PCMR and Deer Valley? If so, is that a drag?

The more I read about the Canyons, the more I'm thinking I should have just rented a condo in Sandy and skiied Alta and Snowbird again.

Reassurances?
The Canyons is probably the best of the 3. There is a shuttle that goes to Park City and then Deer Valley. If you go to Deer Valley it will waste around 45min to an hour in your day. I would say maybe its worth it for 1 day but I would spend most of my time at the Canyons.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.