Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2015, 4:23 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, MR LTGold, UA, AA, AS, DL, Global Entry & TSAPre✓
Beach Villa - fountain courtyard

I have watched many videos, viewed many photos, read hundreds of posts here... But I haven't seen anyone utilizing the little courtyard in the (non-deluxe) beach villas. It looks like there are doors on both sides, and sometimes a door on the exterior (now purple) side -- with wood slats for wiping ones feet.
Is there any reason to go into that area?
Is it primarily for maintaining air flow, and the sound of the fountain?
Thanks!

So far we have 5 nights in king beach villa, followed by 3 nights in king water villa. Still more than 6 months away, but continuing my research!
Old Jul 18, 2015, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
Redeemed HHonors points for a 5 night stay for May 2016. Since we already have our air booked (AA redemption on Etihad), I went ahead and sent in our itinerary to reserve the transfer. In their reply email, we were offered an upgrade to a Water Villa for $105/night. On the one hand, we are traveling half way around the world so why not. On the other hand, could we spend our money better elsewhere on an experience on the island?

Thoughts?
Old Jul 18, 2015, 2:42 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC
Originally Posted by ORDPLATAA
Redeemed HHonors points for a 5 night stay for May 2016. Since we already have our air booked (AA redemption on Etihad), I went ahead and sent in our itinerary to reserve the transfer. In their reply email, we were offered an upgrade to a Water Villa for $105/night. On the one hand, we are traveling half way around the world so why not. On the other hand, could we spend our money better elsewhere on an experience on the island?

Thoughts?
$105 a night?!!!!! Bloody heck, that is an absolute BARGAIN!!!! Take that offer!
Old Jul 18, 2015, 2:44 pm

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Good lord, what a deal. I wouldn't be able to dial/email fast enough to book that.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 3:40 pm

Thoughts?
Did they offer you upgrade prices to other villas?

Originally Posted by pineapple_09
$105 a night?!!!!! Bloody heck, that is an absolute BARGAIN!!!! Take that offer!
^

Originally Posted by Abidjan
Good lord, what a deal. I wouldn't be able to dial/email fast enough to book that.
^
Old Jul 18, 2015, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
Okay, feeling foolish that I even asked the question! Just sent the email requesting the upgrade to a Water Villa.

Here are the upgrade rates they quoted:

Beach Villa to Water Villa - USD 105.00 ++ taxes per night
Beach Villa to Deluxe Beach Villa - USD 175.00 ++ taxes per night
Beach Villa to Superior Water Villa - USD 210.00 ++ taxes per night
Beach Villa to Retreat Water Villa - USD 350.00 ++ taxes per night
Beach Villa to Deluxe Water Villa - USD 420.00 ++ taxes per night
Beach Villa to Premier Water Villa - USD 980.00 ++ taxes per night
Beach Villa to Junior Beach Suite - USD 1,190.00 ++ taxes per night
Beach Villa to Sunset Water Villa - USD 2,380.00 ++ taxes per night

Taxes are 10% service charge and 12% Tourism Goods and Service Tax.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 5:02 pm

So good!!

I'm paying almost 350++ a night for the over water upgrade!
Old Jul 18, 2015, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Okay, feeling foolish that I even asked the question! Just sent the email requesting the upgrade to a Water Villa.

To what email did you write to??
Old Jul 18, 2015, 6:39 pm

Didn't write in to request an upgrade. Just used the email address on my reservation to send in my arrival departure information to make the seaplane reservation.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 9:30 am

Received email confirmation back from the resort this morning confirming the WV upgrade. Which is the better block to be in: 301-312 or 315-330?
Old Jul 19, 2015, 10:01 am

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC
Received email confirmation back from the resort this morning confirming the WV upgrade. Which is the better block to be in: 301-312 or 315-330?
315-330!

The ones on each end of the block are good, eg 315, 318, 319, etc
Old Jul 21, 2015, 2:44 am

OMG! I don't know how it's possible that their rates are so low. Actually I'd take any of the Superior/Retreat/Deluxe for that price any day. Would I be correct in assuming the dates are between May 15 and May 31?
And pineapple is right, you'd want any of the sunset-facing WVs (315-330) as not only are the views better but there is snorkelling to do on that side as well.

Originally Posted by bevoinva
Greetings all! My wife and I are booked here for our first time end of next March. Currently in a Beach Villa for a week on points. Would like to upgrade to a Water Villa.

I have seen many posts in this thread stating that the hotel will send emails out detailing upgrade options? at what point could I expect such an email? Alternatively, should I be contacting the hotel asking inquiring about the upgrade? If so, at what point should I do that? Our trip is still almost 9 months away.

Lastly, is there any room for negotiation on the upgrade rates? seen prices all over the place on this thread. What is the best strategy?
Now we have indeed seen everything with these latest offers. You should send them an email if you haven't already received an upgrade offer. Perhaps you'll be in the same boat as ORDPLATAA and get the same low offers.

Originally Posted by dangerhsun
I screwed up. Didn't realize that the free nights for the Citi HHonors card were for weekend nights ONLY.

I'm getting in on a Monday and leaving on a Friday. Any solutions? Can I somehow exchange these vouchers for points?
Most definitely not. Can you not change your flights either inbound or outbound so you could slap that weekend on at either end?

Originally Posted by UAmainbird
I have watched many videos, viewed many photos, read hundreds of posts here... But I haven't seen anyone utilizing the little courtyard in the (non-deluxe) beach villas. It looks like there are doors on both sides, and sometimes a door on the exterior (now purple) side -- with wood slats for wiping ones feet.
Is there any reason to go into that area?
Is it primarily for maintaining air flow, and the sound of the fountain?
I think it's pretty much just for ambience. They were planning to enclose it and have it with A/C when they did the renovations last year but I suppose it would have cost too much and so they have left it as is.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 7:49 am

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak

Now we have indeed seen everything with these latest offers. You should send them an email if you haven't already received an upgrade offer. Perhaps you'll be in the same boat as ORDPLATAA and get the same low offers.

Yes - I got inspired by these low prices so I sent an email. My offers came back a bit higher but appear to be quite a bit less than those that I have seen on this thread.

Deluxe Beach villa : $ 350.00

· Water Villa: $ 280.00

· Superior Water Villa: $ 350.00

· Retreat Water Villa: $ 560.00

· Deluxe Water villa:$ 700.00
The fact that my dates are in March vs. May for ORDPLATAA might account for the difference.

I'm probably going to go for the SWV as it is only $70 more than a standard WV. From reading this thread it seems that the extra money will get me a guaranteed sunset view along with the hot tub vs. a plunge pool. If anyone has any further opinions on WV vs. SWV I would love to hear them.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 9:34 am

I'm going for WV instead of SWV as the hot tub was too hot! It was December last time and I just wanted to cool off, not sweat even more!
Old Jul 21, 2015, 11:14 pm

Just got back a few days ago from our 4th visit. The personalized service is getting better and better every time we visit. Weather was great. Cash BV stay and we were upgraded the whole 7 nights to a DBV which was very nice. Occupancy at 100% every single day and even though we wanted to move into a WV for a night or two we couldn't.

Here are a few bits of useful information about changes to policy and the way the resort treats elite tier members:

* Spa Discount Card (giving $25 off any treatment) is now only given to Diamonds.

* Fruit Basket (in villa upon check-in) is now only refilled on a daily basis for Golds & Diamonds.

* Deserted Island Picnic
- They moor the boat about 50m offshore and then take you snorkelling (you enter the water from the boat) for 30mins while they unload the tent, bean bags and food. The snorkelling is excellent and comparable to the house reef at Rangali. You cannot walk the whole way around the island however as there are rocks which break up the beach. The only real downside to this excursion is the amount of rubbish that is washed up onto the beach and also not properly disposed of by other resorts and users of the island. It sits on the beach and just on or inside the treeline/shrubbery and is glaringly obvious at times. I think part of the reason they have the snorkelling before you reach the shore is so they can clean up most of whatever trash there is on the beach before you get there.
- Half price for kids under 12.
- Min 4 pax, max 12.
- Conrad has the use of the island on Mondays and Tuesdays and the excursion is available on both days even though the Weekly Planner says it's Tuesdays only.

* Water Sports Prices
The Current Water Sports brochure says
PRICES INCLUDE 10% SERVICE CHARGE BUT DO NOT INCLUDE AND ARE SUBJECT TO 12% GST AND ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT PRIOR NOTICE

REVISED 21/06/14

RATES VALID: 01/01/14 - 30/11/15
Unfortunately this is not current and we only found this out a few days before we arrived. Even though there were 17 of us and I had told the group all water sports prices were only subject to the T-GST, we didn't make a fuss of it and just paid both taxes but I think it should be adhered to. Either that or a new, updated PDF should be made available. Seems they made an error when taking over the Dive Centre & Water Sports Centre and have not corrected it since there is the clause of the prices being subject to change without notice. Unfortunately this wasn't handled well by Mohamed Mauroof (Pre-Bookings Coordinator) and he pointed me to a 2013 version of the Weekly Planner for current prices. First of all it wasn't the appropriate brochure. Being the Weekly Planner it had no water sports prices. Then he sends me the exact same Water Sports PDF brochure that I have quoted and this is how the conversation went;

Originally Posted by Myself
2. The Glass Bottomed Boat

This is priced at $200+ T-GST and the private hire is at $220+ T-GST in the Water Sports brochure. All prices in the brochure have the service charge already added. This changed (service charge already included and the prices adjusted accordingly) when the resort took over management of the Water Sports centre and the Dive Centre earlier this year. You have quoted $220+ 10% service charge + 12% T-GST. Has this changed again or is the latest Water Sports PDF correct?
Originally Posted by Mohamed Mauroof
Glass bottom boat US$220 for 1 hour is private hire and this price is subject to 10% service charge+12%T-GST

And I do agree with you that text is bit complicate end the bottom of the price list however Ali has confirmed me that price is subject to 10%service charge+12%T-GST
There is nothing complicated about "PRICES INCLUDE 10% SERVICE CHARGE". Not the way it should have been handled by a staff member of more than 5 years. He also got 2 bookings wrong after I clearly stated which reservation numbers they were to be attached to. Good thing I checked otherwise there would have been complete confusion when checking-in for the excursions (with the wrong guests checking in) and the wrong items not to mention no-show cancellation fees/charges on each other's bills at check-out.

* Lunch at Ithaa

- There are now 2 sessions daily if demand is high. The first, as you know, is 12:30 to 2:30. The second is from 3:00 to 5:00.
- Unfortunately toddlers are allowed and we experienced crying babies and babies bashing spoons on highchairs at both sessions. I suggested to Prabu (Dir of F&B) that there be age requirements for the two sessions, i.e; the 12:30 to 2:30 could be 5yrs and up the later session from 3:00 to 5:00 could accommodate under fives. He's thinking about the idea and I will post any updates on this if there are any changes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.