Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Loyalty Programs > Hilton | Hilton HHonors
Sign in using an external account

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 26, 15, 12:27 am   -   Wikipost
FlyerTalk Forums Thread Wiki: Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: MaldivesFreak
Welcome to the Conrad Maldives wiki!

To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on the desired year:

2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015

Staying for Free
Category 10: 95,000* HHonors points per night with no 'low' season reduced pricing, or
Fifth Night Free: 380,000 HHonors points per 5 nights (76,000/night), or
AXON: 300,000 HHonors points per 4 nights (75,000/night)
* See this post for exact figures for redemption stays over 5 nights using 5th Night Free. Hint: They are slightly less than 95,000!

Certificates
2 Free weekend nights from Citi HHonors Reserve CC sign up bonus ($2,500 in 4 months; Partner can open separate card for 2 additional nights)

Tax Information
• 10% Service Charge (levied by resort)
• 12% T-GST (Tourist Goods & Services Tax, levied by the Maldivian government, current as of Oct 1, 2014)
• The US$8pp Bed Tax (previously levied by the Maldivian government) has now been abolished

Resort Information / F&B / Activities
Refer to resort's website

Transfers to Resort
How: Conrad Maldives is a twin-island resort 90km Southwest of Malé International Airport and can be reached in three ways: by seaplane, by a domestic flight followed by a speedboat trip or by private yacht. Please note that all of these transfer options are charged and will be added to your room bill.

Time:
• Guests arriving in Malé on an international flight between 06.00 and 16.00 will transfer to Conrad Maldives by seaplane.
• Because seaplanes can only fly during daylight hours, guests arriving in Malé on an international flight between 16.00 and 22.00 will transfer to Conrad Maldives by domestic flight and speedboat.
• Guests arriving in Malé on an international flight after 22.00 will require overnight accommodation in Malé and a seaplane transfer will be arranged for them the following morning. The resort can book the hotel for you if requested and add the charges to your room bill at Conrad Maldives. (See below for recommended hotels in Malé)
• Guests departing Malé on an international flight before 09.00 will be transferred from the resort to Malé the previous afternoon and will require overnight accommodation in Malé. This can be booked by the hotel for you and added to your room bill charges at Conrad Maldives.
• See this post for detailed information on the seaplane schedule, when and how you will be informed of the departure time etc.

Seaplane Cost: US$500 + T-GST roundtrip per head. Children aged between 2 and 11 receive a 50% discount
Seaplane Luggage: 25kg per person + 5kg of hand luggage. Limit of 32kg per piece of luggage. Excess baggage charged at US $5.00 + 12% T-GST per kg

Lounge
• Private Conrad lounge is available while waiting for seaplane (until 17.00). Free of charge and includes a 10-minute massage upon arrival (time permitting).
• Open until 11PM daily. For use upon departure from resort and before your flight from Malé International Airport. Airport transfer and check-in service is standard. Refreshments, TV, WiFi, snacks and dinner provided (Deluxe Package only). Also included is the use of shower facilities. Prices are below. Note: Infants below 2yrs are free of charge.
* Conrad Lounge Package: $50 per adult / $25 per child under 12. Dinner is not served and drinks are limited to 2 each.
* Deluxe Conrad Lounge Package: $85 per adult / $42.50 per child under 12.

Villa Types and Abbreviations used in this thread (listed in order from most basic to most luxurious)

-- BVs (Beach Villas) --

BV (Beach Villa)
DBV (Deluxe Beach Villa)
JBS (Junior Beach Suite)
BS (Beach Suite)

-- OWVs (Over Water Villas) --

WV (Water Villa)
SWV (Superior Water Villa)
DWV (Deluxe Water Villa)
RWV (Retreat Water Villa (formerly know as Spa Water Villa)) aka FWV (Family Water Villa. Note: The two spa beds are removed from the second room and replaced with a single bed)
PWV (Permier Water Villa)
SunWV (Sunset Water Villa)

Upgrades
Resort is exempted from free upgrade policy. Paid upgrades may be available. Prices for upgrades vary according to time of travel and prevailing rates. Upgrades may be possible to the following rooms, subject to 10% service charge and 12% T-GST:
(low season)
King Water Villa: $200
King Deluxe Beach Villa: $275
Retreat Water Villa: $475

(High Season - Jan 2014)
Beach Villa to Water villa / Deluxe Beach Villa - USD 375.00
Beach Villa to Superior Water Villa - USD 562.50
Beach Villa to Retreat Water Villa - USD 712.50
Beach Villa to Deluxe Water Villa - USD 900.00

Villa Selection

Advice on Villa Selection (Courtesy of pineapple_09)
Note: You are free to request specific villas, but the property will not be able to confirm them 100% due to operational intricacies. Can't hurt to ask and many have had success.

"Request the 200 number beach villas (sunrise/reef side) vs 100 villas (sunset/lagoon side) - Worst case, try to get upper 100’s as low 100’s are noisy" -johndeere19

Diamond and Gold Benefits
Free Breakfast. Available at both Atoll and Vilu restaurants
• Happy Hour @ Vilu: Every day from 5-6PM. Free drinks and mocktails/fruit juice/water. Everyone welcome to attend but free only for guests on Rangali Island (smaller island with water villas only) and Hilton Gold and Diamond members

Benefits for All Guests
• Afternoon Tea @ Mandhoo: Every day from 4-5PM. Offerings include tea, biscuits & cookies, cakes, scones, sandwiches and rolls. Free for returning guests. Other guests welcome but will incur an admission fee of $15++
• Happy Hour @ Rangali Bar: Every day from 6-7PM. Half-priced drinks and mocktails/fruit juice/water. Everyone welcome

Kid's Club Info
Majaa Kids Club Activities (PDF)
External Site Review of Majaa (Scroll down to Conrad Maldives Rangali Island)

Planning Your Stay
Conrad Holiday Schedule Planner (PDF)
Conrad Maldives Excursions (PDF)

Unique Attractions & Activities
• Mini Submarine: Unfortunately it has been out of action since 2013 and there is no forseeable resumption of service
WaterSports (PDF)
• The resort now has a jetpack! Some pics of the X-Jetpack in action:
http://i61.tinypic.com/3178ua8.jpg
http://i57.tinypic.com/2mhfsoy.jpg
There is no age limit but for under 12s it's difficult to control as the control arms are long and the pack would be a little big for them.
Price is USD225 +T-GST per person, per 45mins (includes flying lesson). Link to the X-Jetpack website where you can find technical info about the jetpack: http://www.x-jetpacks.com/

Resort Maps
Old Map (Pre-3rd Island)
New Map (December 2014, PDF)
Aerial view (Google Maps)
House Reef (Rangalifinolhu Island) Snorkelling Map (Courtesy of ScubaRoo)

Contact
• General Enquiries: mlehi.maldives@conradhotels.com
• Reservations Department: mlehi.res@conradhotels.com
• Pre-Bookings (book restaurants/special dinners, excursions etc up to 2 weeks before arrival): mohamed.mauroof@conradhotels.com

Weather:
http://www.maldivesonlineguide.com/t...imate-weather/

Maintenance/Property Issues:
• Property was closed from May 15, 2014 - July 14, 2014 for completion of 3rd island which now houses staff and infrastructure
Note: During this time some, but not all BVs were refurbished
• New Cantonese restaurant named Ufaa is now open. It is situated where the old gym used to be
• New gym is above the shops on the main island, next to the library

Hotel check in time - 2:00PM, guaranteed early check-in can be arranged at the rate of one night's stay prior to the arrival.
Hotel check out time - 12 Noon, guaranteed late check-out can be arranged by booking an additional night's stay.

Subaqua diving: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Byqn...RicGZveWM/edit
Email: rangali.dc@subaqua-divecenter.com

Recommended hotels for overnight stay in Malé:
Hotel Jen Male (previously Traders Hotel) (4 Star, $300-$450/night)
Hotel Octave (Hotel Website). Hotel Octave (TripAdvisor) (3 Star, $100-$150/night, Excellent reviews and value for money)

Moderator notes (do not delete)

Posts older than 2014 for this OPEN THREAD can be found in the ARCHIVE THREAD for Conrad Maldives Rangali Island

Print Wikipost

Old Mar 7, 15, 8:37 am   #1666

Programs: VS, BA, HH Gold
Sea plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2Where View Post
thanks for the tipping tips.
We are leaving today.....

btw, nice pics.
Cheers, safe travels.

Took this on Dohni on way over to Rangali Bar about 6:20pm
ScubaRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 15, 8:57 am   #1667

Talking Diving - or lack thereof

So as I've mentioned, I'm submitting a review of my stay to Raffles @ Headforpoints.

As part of my review I was hoping/intending to comment on the diving from the Conrad.

I've visited South Ari Atoll a few times and dived many of the well known sites + done over 40 dives in Maldives, so I wasn't as desperate as I might of been.

So in short I won't be diving this trip, due to.....
The sightings of Mantas has been limited, esp in last couple of weeks but there's a few weeks left of the season yet.
The snorkelling has been so good on the house reef. (See next post for yet more pics to bore you with)
Me and my wife can enjoy the reef together.
This fits in with a relaxed schedule
I would like to comment on the staff at the Dive Centre, they have been approachable, honest, friendly, incredibly helpful to us and other guests. I'd have no hesitation in going diving with them if there was 80%+ chance of seeing Mantas.
Old Mar 7, 15, 9:05 am   #1668

Talking Yet more snorkelling pics....

Don't worry only 2 more days snorkelling photos to clutter these pages with, then we sadly leave this amazing place...

All these were taken on this pm's 100 min snorkel (1:50pm-3:30pm), mainly around the drop off.

Titan Triggerfish (Another daily sighting like the YMTF)

Anemone Fish (for you Finding Nemo fans)

Flock of Parrot (or should that be a plague of 200+ Parrotfish?)

Yellow Backed Fusiliers??

Porcupine Puffer Fish

Dog Nosed Puffer Fish?

hawksbill Turtle (yes again, in same spot as yesterday off Mandhoo, he didn't hang around this time tho, only got this one photo)

Spotted Eagle Ray (one of 3 that buzzed us)

Oh and we saw another white tip reef shark in the murky depths (of about 20ft)
Right off to bed for some much needed kip!

Last edited by ScubaRoo; Mar 7, 15 at 6:42 pm.
Old Mar 7, 15, 9:23 am   #1669

Programs: BA GGL CCR, LH SEN, AB G, LC Unl, Hyatt Dmd, SPG Plat, HH Dmd, IC RA, Carlson G, Sixt Dmd, Avis CC
The pics are not boring, they are great! Thank you!
Old Mar 7, 15, 11:31 am   #1670

Programs: OW Sapphire, Hilton Gold, Sirius Gold, Accor Platinum, SPG LT Platinum
After following the thread a bit more closely the past couple of weeks I started to miss the Maldives - a lot. I really do judge every other holiday destination against it and they just don't stack up. We were supposed to be going to Mauritius in December with our new baby but we discussed it, threw our plans out the window and booked to come back to the Maldives instead! Can't wait!
jonjparr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 15, 12:11 pm   #1671

Programs: LH Sen, HH Diamond, IC RA
Hi ScubaRoo, where did you find the Anemone fish?
We've been to Rangali 5 times but have never seen them at the House reef :-( .
tom-schmitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 15, 12:52 pm   #1672

We didn't tip our host - to be honest he didn't really do anything for us and every time we saw him I felt like we got a soft sales pitch to make dinner reservations. Couple of times I would ask him if we could do something and he either wouldn't respond or responded incorrectly. For example, the morning we were moving from BV to OWV I asked him if we could take the golf cart (we never did get to use one) he said ok, but at checkout there was no cart and he said that it will take 15 min and let's just walk. Not a huge deal but we were carrying out backpacks,etc and this was the 2nd/3rd time something like that had happened. Nothing major enough to complain about but certainly nothing good enough to tip.
nic3456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 15, 4:10 pm   #1673

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaRoo View Post
hawksbill Turtle (yes again, in same spot as yesterday off Mandhoo, he didn't hang around this time tho, only got this one photo)
Could I trouble you to ask the exact location. I remember reading another post somewhere (either here or on TA) that there were turtle sightings near Mandhoo so would really like to narrrow it down. When we go with a couple of other families and kids later this year we hope to have a better chance of spotting him should he reside near the restaurant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom-schmitt View Post
Hi ScubaRoo, where did you find the Anemone fish?
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjparr View Post
After following the thread a bit more closely the past couple of weeks I started to miss the Maldives - a lot. I really do judge every other holiday destination against it and they just don't stack up. We were supposed to be going to Mauritius in December with our new baby but we discussed it, threw our plans out the window and booked to come back to the Maldives instead! Can't wait!
You addict, you! I completely understand the feeling though!
MaldivesFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 15, 5:15 pm   #1674

Quote:
Originally Posted by nic3456 View Post
For example, the morning we were moving from BV to OWV I asked him if we could take the golf cart (we never did get to use one) he said ok, but at checkout there was no cart and he said that it will take 15 min and let's just walk. Not a huge deal but we were carrying out backpacks,etc and this was the 2nd/3rd time something like that had happened. Nothing major enough to complain about but certainly nothing good enough to tip.
You had to carry your bags yourselves?! WTH! I would disagree that that was not worth complaining about, especially if it wasn't the first time. In contrast, whenever we visit Hotel Octave in Male we never have to lay a hand on our luggage until we hit the main terminal the morning after. Did you know that the Conrad will pack your bags for you on a villa switch if you ask them?

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Mar 8, 15 at 1:18 am. Reason: Typo
Old Mar 7, 15, 6:48 pm   #1675

Talking Good choice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjparr View Post
Hi, we were chatting about this last night, this is my 4th trip to the Maldives (first time to the Conrad), never been to Mauritius or Seychelles, unsure if I'd ever go to them if we could come back to the Maldives, its really is a magical place. Have been to Serendipity in Koh Lipe in Thailand (would go back there for snorkelling, food and the people, but not same type of dedicated 5***** resort as here, much cheaper tho!)

Anyhow, here's this morning's sunrise (from our RWV) to reward you and your wife's decision.. (Congrats on the baby!)

Steady onshore breeze this morn, water a bit choppy like yesterday, will take the snorkeling easy.

Last edited by ScubaRoo; Mar 7, 15 at 7:01 pm.
Old Mar 7, 15, 11:10 pm   #1676

Programs: Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Conrad Maldives Rangali Island

At CM now and it is definitely a wonderful place to spend a vacation. The snorkeling is world class. ScubaRoo may be able to give you a more exact location of the turtles, but from what I can recall they are at the drop off point of the house reef between Mandhoo and the first subsequent water villa. We saw three turtles this morning, the coolest thing I have seen while here on vacation.

Changing topics, as others on this forum have mentioned, my fiancée and I have been asked many times (each day) if we need reservations for dinner. In each of these instances we have not asked about dinner reservations, the employee always brought up the topic on their own. It is a little uncomfortable and unbecoming of such a wonderful resort. This has led me to conclude that employees may be receiving some sort compensation for making dinner reservations for guests. I think that management here should rethink whatever motivation/compensation they are offering because in my opinion it comes off rather pushy and very car salesman like. This is something that I will mention to one of the supervisors prior to departure, however I will also mention how happy we are with the service other than that one small detail.
brandonpkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 15, 11:16 pm   #1677

Will try and answer some of your above snorkel site queries later today, first I get to tease you some more......

Yet another fab snorkel this morn (Brandon and his fiancée also came along) from RWV to beach villa 220ish. Extremely low tide (tis full moon after all) Only waist deep at RWV steps, defo needed to use the purpose cut channel directly between the buoy and the beach (220ish).

Saw 3 different Turtles but quite close to each other, ie a minute snorkelling apart, got pics + vids.

Also saw a 1.5m back tip + white tip Sharks patroling around the drop off.

Had a v relaxed post snorkel breakfast over at Vilu, got a buggy over from our RWV, had to wait 10 mins as it is Rangali rush hour, not an issue just phone for one a wee bit in advance.

The lovely staff had surprised one lucky couple at breakfast celebrating their anniversary....

Wonderful selection of food, took my cappuccino to finish off on the hammock chair swings watching the Ocean surf break against the edge of the outer reef, great gentle breeze aiding the relaxation.

Will post more snorkeling pics later today after camera is out of its u/w case after our 2nd snorkel.

Last edited by ScubaRoo; Mar 8, 15 at 12:14 am.
Old Mar 8, 15, 12:24 am   #1678

Moving & Bags

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak View Post
You had to carry your bags yourselves?! WTH! I would disagree that that was not worth complaining about, especially if it wasn't the first time. In contrast, whenever we visit Hotel Octave in Male we never have to lay a hand on out luggage until we hit the main terminal the morning after. Did you know that the Conrad will pack your bags for you on a villa switch if you ask them?
I would suggest you were very unlucky and I suspect if you'd queried with front desk it would of been quickly put right.

We moved villas a couple of days ago, we were even told we could leave our clothes on hangers and they would sort out. All our bags were duly collected and were waiting in the new RWV when we arrived there 90 mins after leaving the BWV, we sat in Business centre enjoying some nice cold water and cool air con in between rooms, was really smooth and relaxing move. Oh and reception ordered us a buggy to get to the new RWV... (again just had to wait 5 mins enjoying the views)
Old Mar 8, 15, 12:53 am   #1679

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonpkt View Post
ScubaRoo may be able to give you a more exact location of the turtles, but from what I can recall they are at the drop off point of the house reef between Mandhoo and the first subsequent water villa.
Thanks for the info!
Old Mar 8, 15, 1:10 am   #1680

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaRoo View Post
Oh and reception ordered us a buggy to get to the new RWV... (again just had to wait 5 mins enjoying the views)
I honestly think they've improved the buggy service in the last year or so. In our 10 days there over Xmas & New Years just gone they all arrived within 10 minutes (usually within 5 minutes) and we used them several times a day. And this was when the resort had over 95%, and in some cases, 100% occupancy.