Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Loyalty Programs > Hilton | Hilton HHonors
Sign in using an external account

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 25, 15, 10:02 am   -   Wikipost
FlyerTalk Forums Thread Wiki: Conrad Maldives Rangali Island
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: MaldivesFreak
Welcome to the Conrad Maldives wiki!

To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on the desired year:

2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015

Staying for Free
Category 10: 95,000* HHonors points per night with no 'low' season reduced pricing, or
Fifth Night Free: 380,000 HHonors points per 5 nights (76,000/night), or
AXON: 300,000 HHonors points per 4 nights (75,000/night)
* See this post for exact figures for redemption stays over 5 nights using 5th Night Free. Hint: They are slightly less than 95,000!

Certificates
2 Free weekend nights from Citi HHonors Reserve CC sign up bonus ($2,500 in 4 months; Partner can open separate card for 2 additional nights)

Tax Information
• 10% Service Charge (levied by resort)
• 12% T-GST (Tourist Goods & Services Tax, levied by the Maldivian government, current as of Oct 1, 2014)
• The US$8pp Bed Tax (previously levied by the Maldivian government) has now been abolished

Resort Information / F&B / Activities
Refer to resort's website

Transfers to Resort
How: Conrad Maldives is a twin-island resort 90km Southwest of Malé International Airport and can be reached in three ways: by seaplane, by a domestic flight followed by a speedboat trip or by private yacht. Please note that all of these transfer options are charged and will be added to your room bill.

Time:
• Guests arriving in Malé on an international flight between 06.00 and 16.00 will transfer to Conrad Maldives by seaplane.
• Because seaplanes can only fly during daylight hours, guests arriving in Malé on an international flight between 16.00 and 22.00 will transfer to Conrad Maldives by domestic flight and speedboat.
• Guests arriving in Malé on an international flight after 22.00 will require overnight accommodation in Malé and a seaplane transfer will be arranged for them the following morning. The resort can book the hotel for you if requested and add the charges to your room bill at Conrad Maldives. (See below for recommended hotels in Malé)
• Guests departing Malé on an international flight before 09.00 will be transferred from the resort to Malé the previous afternoon and will require overnight accommodation in Malé. This can be booked by the hotel for you and added to your room bill charges at Conrad Maldives.

Seaplane Cost: US$500 + T-GST roundtrip per head. Children aged between 2 and 11 receive a 50% discount
Seaplane Luggage: 25kg per person + 5kg of hand luggage. Limit of 32kg per piece of luggage. Excess baggage charged at US $5.00 + 12% T-GST per kg

Lounge
• Private Conrad lounge is available while waiting for seaplane (until 17.00). Free of charge and includes a 10-minute massage upon arrival (time permitting).
• Open until 11PM daily. For use upon departure from resort and before your flight from Malé International Airport. Airport transfer and check-in service is standard. Refreshments, TV, WiFi, snacks and dinner provided (Deluxe Package only). Also included is the use of shower facilities. Prices are below. Note: Infants below 2yrs are free of charge.
* Conrad Lounge Package: $50 per adult / $25 per child under 12. Dinner is not served and drinks are limited to 2 each.
* Deluxe Conrad Lounge Package: $85 per adult / $42.50 per child under 12.

Villa Types and Abbreviations used in this thread (listed in order from most basic to most luxurious)

-- BVs (Beach Villas) --

BV (Beach Villa)
DBV (Deluxe Beach Villa)
JBS (Junior Beach Suite)
BS (Beach Suite)

-- OWVs (Over Water Villas) --

WV (Water Villa)
SWV (Superior Water Villa)
DWV (Deluxe Water Villa)
RWV (Retreat Water Villa (formerly know as Spa Water Villa)) aka FWV (Family Water Villa. Note: The two spa beds are removed from the second room and replaced with a single bed)
PWV (Permier Water Villa)
SunWV (Sunset Water Villa)

Upgrades
Resort is exempted from free upgrade policy. Paid upgrades may be available. Prices for upgrades vary according to time of travel and prevailing rates. Upgrades may be possible to the following rooms, subject to 10% service charge and 12% T-GST:
(low season)
King Water Villa: $200
King Deluxe Beach Villa: $275
Retreat Water Villa: $475

(High Season - Jan 2014)
Beach Villa to Water villa / Deluxe Beach Villa - USD 375.00
Beach Villa to Superior Water Villa - USD 562.50
Beach Villa to Retreat Water Villa - USD 712.50
Beach Villa to Deluxe Water Villa - USD 900.00

Villa Selection

Advice on Villa Selection (Courtesy of pineapple_09)
Note: You are free to request specific villas, but the property will not be able to confirm them 100% due to operational intricacies. Can't hurt to ask and many have had success.

"Request the 200 number beach villas (sunrise/reef side) vs 100 villas (sunset/lagoon side) - Worst case, try to get upper 100’s as low 100’s are noisy" -johndeere19

Diamond and Gold Benefits
Free Breakfast. Available at both Atoll and Vilu restaurants
• Happy Hour @ Vilu: Every day from 5-6PM. Free drinks and mocktails/fruit juice/water. Everyone welcome to attend but free only for guests on Rangali Island (smaller island with water villas only) and Hilton Gold and Diamond members

Benefits for All Guests
• Afternoon Tea @ Mandhoo: Every day from 4-5PM. Offerings include tea, biscuits, cakes, scones and sandwiches. Free for returning guests. Other guests welcome but will incur an admission fee of $25++
• Happy Hour @ Rangali Bar: Every day from 6-7PM. Half-priced drinks and mocktails/fruit juice/water. Everyone welcome

Kid's Club Info
Majaa Kids Club Activities (PDF)
External Site Review of Majaa (Scroll down to Conrad Maldives Rangali Island)

Planning Your Stay
Conrad Holiday Schedule Planner (PDF)
Conrad Maldives Excursions (PDF)

Unique Attractions & Activities
• Mini Submarine: Unfortunately it has been out of action since 2013 and there is no forseeable resumption of service
WaterSports (PDF)
• The resort now has a jetpack! Some pics of the X-Jetpack in action:
http://i61.tinypic.com/3178ua8.jpg
http://i57.tinypic.com/2mhfsoy.jpg
There is no age limit but for under 12s it's difficult to control as the control arms are long and the pack would be a little big for them.
Price is USD225++ per person, per 45mins (includes flying lesson). Link to the X-Jetpack website where you can find technical info about the jetpack: http://www.x-jetpacks.com/

Resort Maps
Old Map (Pre-3rd Island)
New Map (December 2014, PDF)
Aerial view (Google Maps)
House Reef (Rangalifinolhu Island) Snorkelling Map (Courtesy of ScubaRoo)

Contact
• General Enquiries: mlehi.maldives@conradhotels.com
• Reservations Department: mlehi.res@conradhotels.com

Weather:
http://www.maldivesonlineguide.com/t...imate-weather/

Maintenance/Property Issues:
• Property was closed from May 15, 2014 - July 14, 2014 for completion of 3rd island which now houses staff and infrastructure
Note: During this time some, but not all BVs were refurbished
• New Cantonese restaurant named Ufaa is now open. It is situated where the old gym used to be
• New gym is above the shops on the main island, next to the library

Hotel check in time - 2:00PM, guaranteed early check-in can be arranged at the rate of one night's stay prior to the arrival.
Hotel check out time - 12 Noon, guaranteed late check-out can be arranged by booking an additional night's stay.

Subaqua diving: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Byqn...RicGZveWM/edit
Email: rangali.dc@subaqua-divecenter.com

Recommended hotels for overnight stay in Malé:
Hotel Jen Male (previously Traders Hotel) (4 Star, $300-$450/night)
Hotel Octave (Hotel Website). Hotel Octave (TripAdvisor) (3 Star, $100-$150/night, Excellent reviews and value for money)

Moderator notes (do not delete)

Posts older than 2014 for this OPEN THREAD can be found in the ARCHIVE THREAD for Conrad Maldives Rangali Island

Print Wikipost

Old Mar 22, 14, 12:28 pm   #721

Programs: AA PLT/4MM, DL SM/1MM, HH ♦, Hyatt ♦, SPG Gold, AMEX Bus Plat
Quote:
Originally Posted by seacarl View Post
We loved the water villa and there is no chance we would turn that down.

However I can imagine some scenarios where guests might. One could be if a couple has young kids who want to play on the beach. The other is if one has a strong preference to be near the house reef or the activities on the main island.

I have to assume that HH bookings are down with the new redemption rates, and the last few on the old rates are winding down ( unless you were as skilled as taxmanufan ). It would be nice if there were some promotions for HH members coming here, whether it is to be able to book the Water Villa for the 95,000 points or to book a paid beach villa and give Diamonds a water villa upgrade
I agree that for most people a chance to stay in just the basic WV post-devaluation on points would still be somewhat attractive. It was something that the WA beach house offered before they left Hilton. I should have at least taken a look in one of these WV on my visit last month. Still, I loved the RWV for seclusion & in-room massage tables while being closer to decent snorkeling and the DBV for everything it offers in addition to house reef proximity.
texmanufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 14, 6:07 pm   #722

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC
No buggy problems for us either. I'd call for one and they'd arrive within 5-10 minutes. One day, the buggy arrived within a minute, and the driver had to wait a couple of minutes as I hadn't my beach bag packed yet so I told him the buggy service had gotten TOO efficient! LOL

Staff were always offering the buggy service to us - if they spotted us after dinner or if they passed us while walking on the bridge.
Old Mar 22, 14, 6:08 pm   #723

Double post
Old Mar 22, 14, 6:35 pm   #724

Programs: CO 1K (or whatever it will be called), HH Gold
About getting around the island. Last year we got upgraded to the other island. To be on time for the dive boat we needed to allow 30 minutes. It took about 10 minutes to get to the boat. Then if you just missed the boat it was at least 20 minutes for the boat to make the trip.

Since we are divers first I probably would turn down an upgrade to the other island. My traveling companion disagrees with me.
manneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 14, 7:32 pm   #725

Watch the HH Citi Reserve card spend here

During our visit last month we used my wife's HH Citi Reserve card for spend here. After we received the bill and posted points we only received the three points vs the ten we were supposed to receive. Citi agreed when I called that we were supposed to get the ten and received a letter today in mail that it could take up to two billing cycles to get corrected. That part isn't a problem as we aren't in a hurry. Just a pain to have to chase these down.

As a point of reference our previous stay we used my HH AMEX surpass card. No forex fees and no problems with correct posting of CC card spend. This time we decided to work on the $10K spend goal on my wife's Reserve card to get the free anniversary night although we were giving up two points per $ extra vs the AMEX card at hotels. Put a major dent in this so we can put it back up and continue with the AMEX on most other spend. Lucky we were grandfathered in to the old hhonors mutual account program.
Old Mar 22, 14, 8:25 pm   #726

Programs: UA AS DL SPG Hyatt HHonors
Quote:
Originally Posted by manneca View Post
About getting around the island. To be on time for the dive boat we needed to allow 30 minutes. It took about 10 minutes to get to the boat. Then if you just missed the boat it was at least 20 minutes for the boat to make the trip.
It took us no more then 15 minutes to walk from our water villa to the dive center.
Quote:
Originally Posted by texmanufan View Post
As a point of reference our previous stay we used my HH AMEX surpass card. No forex fees and no problems with correct posting of CC card spend.
I have always understood that the HH Amex Surpass has that nasty 2.7% foreign use fee. Are you sure you haven't been charged that?
seacarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 14, 8:26 pm   #727

Quote:
The ladles in the water buckets are poorly designed to be useful in cleaning off your feet. You can turn them completely upside down and still not be able to control the stream of water accurately. A better ladle would help. Even better would be a large heavy bowl like the Park Hyatt uses so that you can just step right in it and rinse your feet off.
SO TRUE!

I agree a million times- I thought this while using them and completely forgot to post it. They just don't work as good ladles at all, they need to be able to be poured with some control of the water flow, or have some alternative system. Would probably save quite a few man-hours of cleaning too, to be honest.
Cynicor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 14, 9:19 pm   #728

Quote:
Originally Posted by seacarl View Post
...I have always understood that the HH Amex Surpass has that nasty 2.7% foreign use fee. Are you sure you haven't been charged that?
Positive. At least that was the case three years ago. The hotel bill from CM in US $ was exactly what came through on my AMEX charge. I am sure this isn't normally the case when traveling outside the US and I was surprised at the time that I wasn't charged the forex fee here.
Old Mar 23, 14, 2:45 am   #729
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, DJ Plat, PC Plat, HH Diam, SPG Gold
Quote:
The ladles in the water buckets are poorly designed to be useful in cleaning off your feet. You can turn them completely upside down and still not be able to control the stream of water accurately. A better ladle would help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynicor View Post
SO TRUE!

I agree a million times- I thought this while using them and completely forgot to post it. They just don't work as good ladles at all, they need to be able to be poured with some control of the water flow, or have some alternative system. Would probably save quite a few man-hours of cleaning too, to be honest.
the cup part of the ladle NEEDS a sprout like a teapot to control the flow of water so you can direct the water over your feet...the current design results in less than 10% of the water washing your feet!!!!
Old Mar 23, 14, 7:45 am   #730

Programs: SPG PLAT50, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Delta Plat, US Airways Chairman, AX Biz Centurion
Quote:
Positive. At least that was the case three years ago. The hotel bill from CM in US $ was exactly what came through on my AMEX charge. I am sure this isn't normally the case when traveling outside the US and I was surprised at the time that I wasn't charged the forex fee here.
Same here.

Since the hotel bills in USD, there is no Forex fee.

12 points per USD posted immediately.

HHonors Amex Surpass is probably one of the best ways to pay for your incidentals during a stay here.
some dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 14, 8:19 am   #731

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpc View Post
the cup part of the ladle NEEDS a sprout like a teapot to control the flow of water so you can direct the water over your feet...the current design results in less than 10% of the water washing your feet!!!!
Totally agree! The design of the ladles make them pretty much useless!
Old Mar 23, 14, 12:24 pm   #732

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Fairmont Platinum
Quote:
Originally Posted by pineapple_09 View Post
Totally agree! The design of the ladles make them pretty much useless!
Took me the better part of 12 of our 14 nights, but I discovered that if you hold the handle closest to the coconut it works fine to aim. The farther away you grasp it, the worse your aim is.
MtlFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 14, 5:05 pm   #733

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, BW Diamond
The husband and I will be there for the get together on the 30th too. Just tell us the time and place. Currently enjoying our time in Istanbul and will be ready to relax when we arrive in a couple days!
LA_FadeAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 14, 9:08 pm   #734

Programs: HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Priority Club Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Amtrak Select Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by some dude View Post
Quote:
Same here.

Since the hotel bills in USD, there is no Forex fee.

12 points per USD posted immediately.

HHonors Amex Surpass is probably one of the best ways to pay for your incidentals during a stay here.
Citi reserve would be better, no? I thought citi was 10 pp $ with surpass at 9 pp $?
drewdawg199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 14, 11:04 pm   #735

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewdawg199 View Post
Citi reserve would be better, no? I thought citi was 10 pp $ with surpass at 9 pp $?
Used to be 9x, now it's 12x for the surpass card.