Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hampton Inn San Diego-Downtown {US-CA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hampton Inn San Diego-Downtown {US-CA}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2002, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Arrow Hampton Inn San Diego-Downtown {US-CA}

Unless you can sleep through an Amtrak and various other railway noises all night, DO NOT stay at this Hampton. I can't believe their site-evaluators approving this location for a new property.
Old Oct 13, 2005, 5:42 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors
Hampton Inn San Diego — Downtown

Does anyone know if the parking here will accommodate a tall vehicle? Specifically, I have a full size Chevy cargo van for work and I am tentatively scheduled to attend a conference at the Conv. Ctr. in several months. (Phone rep was not too helpful, stating that "oh yeah, SUV's fit!")
Old Aug 9, 2006, 11:01 pm

Programs: United 0, HH Gold
I've stayed here - at the Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown - the last two nights (no idea on the OPs question, by the way). I can honestly say, this place is just terrible.

I'd reserved a King Study room (whatever that is), but I was told they'd given away my room and now I had two doubles. I was told, "Don't worry, we always give Diamonds a room away from the train tracks so it'll be much quieter than your original room." Well, my new room was not quieter... I could see the train from my window. I called and asked for another room -- but was told there was nothing available and that they'd give me one tomorrow.

Well, I had to ask the next morning, and the new room I got was better, but still a regular room. If you do stay here (and I urge you not to), ask for a room facing the pool. They're the quietest. Otherwise, you're going to be awoken until 1 AM or so by the train.

It's a LONG walk to the convention center (25 minutes), but a nice one. The neighborhood is okay... a block or two east and it gets a little shady, but you can see the Cutty Sark ship to the west.

Everything else (breakfast, water/cookies in room, cookies in the evening at the front desk) were standard Hampton Inn fare. They have a shuttle to the airport, but I didn't use it (cabs only cost $8 to/from there).

This evening I saw a guy walked to the Marriott when they told him they were overbooked for the night. I offered to swamp him my room, but he declined. I think I'll find another place to stay in downtown SD.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 5:18 am

i generally second everything that Uniter said; this hampton is convenient to downtown but otherwise dismal.

but big cars can fit in the parking structure. when i stayed there in february, there was some sort of firemen's meeting and it was packed with oversize pickups.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 7:14 am

Programs: HHonors Silver
I wouldn't call it dismal. It's better than the Seaworld/Airport Hampton. It has been a few years since I was there but I was treated well as a Diamond. You do want to be away from the tracks, however.
Old Aug 11, 2006, 7:55 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Delta Platinum, American Platinum, Air Canada 25K
I had an entirely different experience at the SD Hampton last Jan. when I held a meeting there. Everything was in order, staff was doubly helpful, the rooms were quiet and plenty of work space even in the standard room. Maybe it was the time of year.

Having lived in larger cities were walking is normal, I found the location excellent for the Gaslamp and Convention areas. The "trolly" is directly behind the hotel as well as the train station for the LA run.
Old Aug 11, 2006, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
It's not going to be the height of your vehicle that's the problem (assuming it's just a regular van and not a moving van -- wait, just how high IS a cargo van, anyhow? ), but rather its "footprint."

I stayed there this past Memorial Day weekend and the hotel, and therefore its garage, were packed. I had unfortunately received an "upgrade" from Hertz to a huge, ungainly SUV. It was REALLY tough to park, especially given 1) the small size of the spaces in the garage and 2) the fact that virtually every other space was taken, most often with OTHER large vehicles. (No more unasked-for "upgrades" to SUVs for me, if I can possibly avoid it! ) Also, the garage dead-ends (i.e., only one entrance/exit), so you may find yourself doing some awkward backing up.

I did find that it's possible (as well as easier and a few dollars cheaper!) to park on the street next to the hotel during certain hours for free; some street spaces have a two-hour limit on weekdays, enforced starting at (IIRC) 8:00 AM, so that gives you until 10:00 AM to move your vehicle without getting ticketed.

Anyhow, the hotel is perfectly fine; certainly not "dismal." I found the "value for money" proposition far superior to other major chain hotels, at least for that holiday weekend. (But for some reason, lots of FTers seem to ignore that aspect; for $100+ a night, they were hoping for the St. Regis. ) True, there are noisy trains running behind. Bring your earplugs if that's going to bother you.

The location is actually great; besides the hotel's proximity to several already-mentioned attractions, it is also in walking distance of the Star of India ship and the Maritime Museum, as well as (in another direction) Little Italy, with a row of lively Italian and other ethnic restaurants, many sporting outdoor dining.
Old Aug 11, 2006, 7:13 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Agree with Kathy on all counts.
Old Aug 11, 2006, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA1K SPG Gold HH
SD Hampton

We stay here frequently for many reasons. This is so convenient for a weekend getaway. We fly into SD take a cab to the Hampton less than 10 mintes. We then can get all around SD by taking the trolley right behind the hotel. We have been to the convention center, gaslamp, old town, even Tijuana on the trolley. Can't beat it for a quick weekend. Shuttle back to the airport extremely easy, never a problem and they are always great about cheking bags if we have a late flight.

We have developed many favorite retaurants in the Little Italy area. There are many open late when we arrive on a Friday night. This area also has much to offer in shops and people watching!

We have never received an upgrade ( my SO was gold when last we stayed) but rooms have always been comfortable and away from the tracks. West facing or pool facing are preferrable. Have enjoyed even a street facing room because you have a view of the Star of India and an occasional cruise ship.

Staff has always been very helpful.
Old Aug 11, 2006, 10:09 pm

Programs: UA Plat/AA,DL Dirt/HH Diamond,Hyatt Something-ist/Hz Prez,Avis Pres Club
I stayed there last year for 5 nights; got a room facing the pool and had no problems at all. The shuttle to the airport at the time was shared with another hotel--it stopped at another place on the way to the airport, which lengthened the trip a little, an unexpected surprise.
I was attending a convention with many sessions I needed to attend at the Holiday Inn across the street, so the location was ideal. The walk to the Convention Center was indeed long but it was a nice walk.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by crabbing
i generally second everything that Uniter said; this hampton is convenient to downtown but otherwise dismal.

Dismal? I would hardly call it that. It's a pretty standard Hampton.

During my 4-night stay there last Spring, I heard AMTRAK trains a couple of times per night (poolside room), but otherwise quiet enough. My folks had a recurring problem with the plumbing in their room, but concerns were addressed promptly. The staff were very professional and friendly, as were the gang at the Marriott (Courtyard, I think it is the brand?) nearby. Both are owned by the same franchisee - Hampton guests have self-service laundry privileges at the other property.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 8:41 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
No eggs at Hampton Inn Downtown San Diego

I like this hotel and usually stay here the night before an early flight home. Rest of the week was at ES La Jolla. Anyhow, the Hampton used to have the egg disks and Canadian bacon or sausage patties which enabled me to create my own breakfast sandwich using their biscuits or English muffins. Today they had strips of French toast around 1.5 inches wide each, and quarter sized pieces of a mild chorizo or similar reddish/pink sausage. I have not stayed here since fall 2006 so not sure when they changed the menu.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 1:58 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, MileagePlus Premier, DividendMiles, Aeroplan
Good news: they're back!

[QUOTE=u600213;7182502]... Anyhow, the Hampton used to have the egg disks and Canadian bacon or sausage patties which enabled me to create my own breakfast sandwich using their biscuits or English muffins...QUOTE]

Well good news "u600213": I just spent a week at the Hampton Inn Dntwn San Diego and you'll be able to create your own breakfast sandwiches again, same as before Your eggs are back!
Old Apr 2, 2007, 5:43 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by cullen24
I had an entirely different experience at the SD Hampton last Jan. when I held a meeting there. Everything was in order, staff was doubly helpful, the rooms were quiet and plenty of work space even in the standard room. Maybe it was the time of year.

Having lived in larger cities were walking is normal, I found the location excellent for the Gaslamp and Convention areas. The "trolley" is directly behind the hotel as well as the train station for the LA run.
We were there about a week ago for several nights -- the location couldn't be better for anyone coming into San Diego by train or plane and wanting to be in the downtown area; the shuttle to the airport/Amtrak worked fine.

The only problem with parking at this facility is there are some large posts in the parking lot which has four levels, so you have to be a bit careful pulling in and out of spaces -- I usually went up to the third level.

As to the San Diego trolley, it works on a honor system -- you don't have to show a ticket to get on, but you do have to have one on you that shows you paid the fare. There's a day pass available for $5 and if you're going to be riding several times a day, I recommend getting that.

Bob H
Old Jun 28, 2007, 11:14 am

Programs: DL, AA, UA
Thumbs up San Diego Hampton Inn-Downtown- REPORT

Several people steered me to this property- a value at $159 per night. The location is fabulous, two blocks off of the Harbor, dead in the center of San Diego.

The nice staff allowed me to check in at 11 am, and then gave me a late checkout 3 days later at 3 pm (leaving on a red eye) and didn't charge extra or even protest. The breakfast was pretty good- about standard HI stuff. The room was very nice, and if I had to guess, the hotel has had a nice cosmetic upgrade in the past year or so. Lots of black marble and the beds are the new comfort-type. Very clean.

Parking is $12, but the garage was right there, easy to get in and out, and always had spaces right next to the elevator.

The train goes by often during the day, and other than a mild nuisance, I didnt think it was a big deal. My room was quiet at night, and everything in the room was new and worked well.

The pool was adequate and clean, and affords some awesome views from its 2nd floor location. It's heated too, so you can swim on cool San Diego nights without a chill. A major plus.

Thanks to those who recommended this property. I was there for business, but for biz or pleasure, this is a great deal in a super city at a fanstastic price. I'd put it in the top 15% of all Hampton Inns I have stayed in.

Cheers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.