Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Reykjavik Nordica {ISL}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2010, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by jimmac
There must be some-one on this board who has stayed in this hotel in the last 6-12 months. I've booked a reward stay there for the fall so I'm interested in a recent review and/or advice on how to get maximum value during a stay.

How do they treat Diamonds? How is breakfast in the lounge? What are the evening snacks and drinks like in the lounge? Do Diamonds get free access to the spa?

I'd love to see a review from some-one who's been there recently.
We stayed there last summer. They have a nice lounge. During the day you can use your room key to stop in for a beer, soda or just to use the internet. Abut six o'clock at night they bring out some upscale snack food....sushi, chicken satay, marinated beef on a stick, salami, olives, cheeses, strawberries dipped in chocolate and brownies. They also bring out a cart of liquor including plenty of red and white wine and Brennivin. All the "hard" liquors are also put out including scotch, gin, vodka, brandy and cognac. One nice thing about this lounge is that there is no one on duty so we got in the habit of pouring a glass of cognac or brandy to take upstairs to our room. The lounge is large and comfortable and has a nice view over the water in the distance. I could send some photos if interested. [email protected] Just tell me what you want photos of.
Old May 8, 2010, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
My partner and I stayed there earlier this week. As Gold she got lounge access (but not exec floor u/g) only when we inquired (they evidently don't look up your status on their system so bring your card!). May have gotten it but we were quite happy with our harbour-facing 5th floor room as we were checking in before 9a.

Breakfast offerings of warm (English) and cold (continental European) items. Evening hors d'oeuvres were fried shrimp, mini egg rolls, various skewers. Not quite enough for a dinner. 2 white wines and 3 reds (or was it the other way around?)

Parking is free.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 5:01 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus Gold
Hilton Reykjavik Nordica

My husband and I recently stayed here for 3 nights, late July, using HH points. I am a silver member, got a water view room on 6th floor, queen bed. The room was nice, comfortable and quiet. The breakfast buffet was around $20. and was wonderful. We used the internet connection, it was ok. Staff was helpful. The location isn't central, so you could have a long walk, plenty of reasonable taxis or the bus stops in front of the hotel. Used Flybus from Keflavik airport.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 8:01 am

Having asked questions about this hotel, I thought I'd offer a brief review of my stay. We spent 5 nights there last week on a HH Reward stay.

As a Diamond I was upgraded to the Executive Floor, the top floor, with a fabulous view to the North across the water to snow covered mountains. The room was excellent, well designed with the bed in a bit of an alcove and a big sitting area with comfortable chairs and a desk and chair.

We had acees to the Executive Lounge, one floor down, with the same view. The linge was also excellent with helpful staff, a very good hot and cold breakfast selection and good hot and cold hors d'ouevres in the evening.

The shuttle times into town are not convenient daytime but OK if you go for dinner. But there is a bus stop across the street with frequent service.

I did get bell help on checking in from one of the front desk staff. I was offered help on check-out but I declined and just borrowed the luggage cart myself.

Iceland is a very interesting place to visit. We spent 2 days in the city then rented a car for two days to drive to tourist sites then stopped at the Blue Lagoon on the drive to the airport. It was an excellent short break and the Hilton Nordica is a first class property.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 2:36 pm

Has anyone stayed in the King suite at Hilton Reykjavik? If so, please post some information
Old Jan 9, 2011, 2:50 pm

Seems I have to provide information myself about the suite when I get back from Iceland
Old Jan 10, 2011, 3:42 pm

I look forward to reading your report. It seems only a very few have the privilege of staying in that suite.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 7:12 pm

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
I have a reservation coming up in a couple of weeks.. doing a trip for my birthday! I emailed asking about an upgrade and/or lounge access and was told quite bluntly - because the room was booked through a 'travel agent' (a package through Icelandair), NO - no lounge access or upgrade is available.

:/

Ron.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 3:11 pm

I would try again showing them your Diamond card at check-in. I found them very responsive when I checked in and at the desk generally. I was on a reward stay.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 3:35 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by newfbc
I have a reservation coming up in a couple of weeks.. doing a trip for my birthday! I emailed asking about an upgrade and/or lounge access and was told quite bluntly - because the room was booked through a 'travel agent' (a package through Icelandair), NO - no lounge access or upgrade is available.

:/

Ron.
Unlike Hyatt and Marriott which provide elite status benefits regardless of how booked, Hilton is rather customer-unfriendly in this regard and the brand policy is to not provide elite status benefits on a wide variety of bookings made and paid to or by an intermediary beside Hilton. Some hotels go beyond Hilton policy and do provide the benefits, but that is the hotel being more generous than required by Hilton. [HHonors award stays are supposed to get all the elite benefits, but your booking won't be considered an HHonors award stay.]

It doesn't hurt to present the card on arrival and see what they will do. Some hotels and/or hotel front-desk staff will beyond the minimum required by policy and provide such benefits anyway. Nothing ventured, nothing gained: show the card at check-in.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 3:58 pm

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
The odd thing is they quoted the 'policy' in their decline email:
"Stays that are booked via third party websites are not Eligible Stays irrespective of rate paid, for the purpose of earning points, miles or stay credit toward Elite tier status. Stays booked via "opaque" channels where the brand is unknown at the time of purchase are not Eligible Stays for the purpose of earning points, miles or stay credit toward Elite tier status, or the receipt of Elite tier benefits such as upgraded accommodations / amenities or access to health clubs."

Notice that it mentions 'third party' bookings are not eligible for points, miles or stay credit... then it references 'opaque' bookings which are not eligible for the same nor Elite Benefits.

Ron.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
We loved the hotel

I was a Gold when we stayed there this past July 4th weekend. We were upgraded to an executive floor suite facing the water and the mountains beyond. It had two lounge chairs and a desk on the left side of the room when you walk in and there was a HUGE tv that could turn so you could watch it from the chairs or switch it to watch it in bed. Very comfortable bed.

The lounge was great and the lounge manager was great. People exaggerate how far a walk into town it is. It took us about 12 minutes to walk into the center of town. Lots of great restaurants, shops, etc. We absolutly loved Reykjavik and the coolest thing was we never needed cash. I used my Capital One card for everything from sodas at the market, to hot dogs at the famous hot dog stand to parking on the street.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 3:42 pm

I stayed at this hotel last year and loved it. In fact, it is one of my two favorite Hiltons in the world. The other was in downtown Sydney. Be careful if you change any money into Icelandic currency. Be sure to change it back before you leave Iceland. When I got back to the USA, no bank would change it back, including the airport change booths or Bank of America, where I have an account. They said Icelandic currency is worthless.
Old May 18, 2011, 6:30 pm

Is the fitness center charge per day or per stay?
Old Jun 4, 2011, 12:48 pm

Reykjavik booking

I tried to book an award stay online for 4 nights for August. The site came back, "No rooms available." I then attempted to book a pay stay and received the same message. I called Hilton HH and there was NO problem getting the room for award points. I wonder if anyone else has had this problem with foreign bookings?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.