Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

UPDATE: Hilton Forum Thread Count Decreased by Greater Than 20%!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2007, 10:25 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

Dear Hilton Forum FlyerTalk Members,

While the thread count in other FlyerTalk forums have steadily increased, the thread count in the Hilton forum has steadily decreased.

When this project of consolidating threads in the Hilton forum began, there were greater than 16,200 threads in the Hilton forum.

As of the time of posting this, there are 12,953 threads in the Hilton forum.

Most are similar topics that were carefully read before merged together. Some of the threads were off-topic and moved to other FlyerTalk forums. Only threads that contained absolutely no content were deleted.

This is a project that has taken months, and it is not finished yet.

So that searching for threads is easier for everyone, a collection of threads has begun here and will be re-organized at a later date. More threads will be added as time passes, including the “definitive” series of threads.

••• IMPORTANT •••

When creating a new thread, it is very important to type out the full name of the city or Hilton HHonors property in the title of the thread. For example, please do not use LV, NYC or CDG instead of Las Vegas, New York City or Charles De Gaulle Airport in Paris. This is because one cannot search for words fewer than four letters on FlyerTalk, so searching for some of the threads with these names in the title is nearly impossible without a creative search.

Eventually, the “sticky” threads will be organized as well.

For additional information about the re-organization of the threads in the Hilton forum, please refer to the Organization of Hilton Forum Threads thread.

We have done most of the searching for much of the information for you. For additional discussion pertaining to searching for information in the Hilton forum, please refer to the “Do a Search”: Using the FlyerTalk Search Function in the Hilton HHonors Forum.

As always, we can use your help in making the information in the Hilton forum as easy to access as possible.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 10:35 pm
Community Director Emerita

Thank, Canarsie, squeakr, and Kiwi Flyer, for the tremendous amount of work you have put into making information accessible in this forum. It had to be been nearly overwhelming when trying to get like with like, with such a wealth of threads. Your hard work is greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 8, 2007, 7:38 am

Thanks for the hard work!!
Old Mar 8, 2007, 11:34 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
10 Thumbs Up!!!^
Old Mar 8, 2007, 2:25 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Thanks canarsie ^^

I have some more updating to do on the Hilton Family Hotel Master Thread.
Old Mar 9, 2007, 9:18 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Ditto.....

And thanks to the two previous posters for their special contributions.
Old Mar 9, 2007, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Wow! What an amazing - and I'm guessing overwhelming - project to undertake. Many thanks to all of you who worked on it. ^^
Old Mar 11, 2007, 2:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thank you!
Old Mar 11, 2007, 7:10 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Am I the only one who thought this post has something to do with the diminished quality of bedsheets (and their thread counts)?!?
Old Mar 11, 2007, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by bostonbali
Am I the only one who thought this post has something to do with the diminished quality of bedsheets (and their thread counts)?!?
I have to say that that did cross my mind before I actually read the title again and noticed that I had missed the word "Forum" the first time around
Old Mar 13, 2007, 8:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Thumbs up Great Job!

Good work to all involved, I only wish other forums were this open to being reorganized!
Old Mar 13, 2007, 8:11 pm

Thanks, Moderators, for all the labor intensive work you do for us FTers.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 8:38 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bostonbali
Originally Posted by xyzzy
I have to say that that did cross my mind before I actually read the title again and noticed that I had missed the word "Forum" the first time around
No, you are not the only one.

It crossed my mind as I wrote the title, but I decided not to post any bed puns in case it would cause Hilton forum FlyerTalk members a blanket opportunity to say, “Oh, sheet!” in disbelief.

The old saying “Hope springs eternal” would have been a real comforter to anyone who did not want me to lay down the puns pertaining to the topic of thread count, but unfortunately it is too late, so let the pillow talk begin.

I apologize in advance if anyone thought that this was a sham. I thought that my involvement in this project would allow me to put a feather in my cap, so I will just sleep on it.

Thank you for the accolades thus far. Cleaning up a forum is not an easy project primarily because of its sensitive nature. Constructive criticism and suggestions are certainly welcome in any way that the information in the Hilton forum can be made more easily accessible.

In the future, the intention is to consolidate the threads pertaining to the Hilton forum and post a list of recommended suggestions, rather than rules — things such as not using acronyms in the topics of the threads such as HHV, HWV (you have no idea how much angst I personally experienced with these two with this project!), LV, LAX, ADT, NYC, SEA, AA, etc., and having a main general thread for each property to ask questions such as directions, e-mail addresses, etc. and a Trip Reports and Reviews thread for each property for everyone to post their detailed experiences.

Additionally, you are “deputized” with the task of assisting us in this project. If you see a thread that should be merged or whose title should be changed, please either send us a private message, an e-mail, or use the Report Bad Post icon to call it to our attention. After all, it is impossible to catch everything by ourselves, and we could really use your help. Some of you have already been doing this on a consistent basis. We cannot thank you enough for your assistance!

By the way, some threads that appear to be similar to other threads have been reported to be merged. If there is a slight difference in the topics of the two threads, I erred on the side of caution and did not merge them. I have only merged threads that pertained to the same topic or property. I have also merged together obsolete threads into one or more threads, such as the Jalousie Hilton in St. Lucia or the Park Place and Bally’s threads or the Caesar‘s Palace threads. This also helps reduce the number of threads resulting from a Search.

Conversely, if an error has been made regarding merging threads, they can be “split” apart as well. Please let us know.

Also, please do not be offended if we do not respond immediately. This is a lot of work!

Speaking from personal experience, my latest tactic is to view every single thread in the Hilton forum from the beginning (yes, from 1998!) based on the number of replies from lowest to highest to catch the threads to which one cannot search. I have personally reviewed greater than 6,400 threads thus far (out of the greater than 12,900 currently existing threads) using this method, and it has proven to work well for me. This is in addition to using the Search function on FlyerTalk. Again, the more popular topics will be posted in easy access for all Hilton forum FlyerTalk members to reduce the amount of searching necessary.

For those of you who cannot believe that we are going through all of this effort, my response to you is that this is what being a FlyerTalk moderator is all about: helping FlyerTalk members such as you in any way we can that is possible. I personally am proud to serve the community, as it is my way of saying “thank you” and giving back to the community.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Thanks to all who worked (and continue to work) on this! ^ ^ ^

As for Canarsie's "bed puns" -- well, is there any other kind?
Old Mar 14, 2007, 1:15 am

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush.
Canarsie------what an excellent moderator and an example to others.
Margaret

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.