Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Doubletree Death - Lack of Carbon Monoxide Detectors in Hilton Hotels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Doubletree Death - Lack of Carbon Monoxide Detectors in Hilton Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2007, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Gold, BA Plat, Starwood Plat, Hilton Silver
Thumbs down Doubletree Death - Lack of Carbon Monoxide Detectors in Hilton Hotels

I just watched a news segment, available on cnn.com, which stated that all Marriott hotels require carbon monoxide detectors. Why can't Hilton do the same? Are they too cheap? I am going to write to them and ask them to add them to their hotels. Heck, I'm going to write my representatives to enact laws. I can't wait for that Doubletree to get sued, especially with punitive damages since other guests got sick a few days before.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Very scary situation.

Should be mandatory in all public places. CO detectors cost almost nothing
Old Jan 12, 2007, 8:08 pm

Almost makes you want to bring your own.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 9:11 pm

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
It's just like in Fight Club. HH and the actuaries are looking at the cost of installing carbom monoxide detectors vs. the cost of settling the lawsuits resulting from the deaths. If the first is higher than the second....no recall.

Ah, I feel so safe here in my HGI-Chicago!!
Old Jan 12, 2007, 9:26 pm

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=641176

Mike
Old Jan 13, 2007, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree on smoke detectors but install carbon monoxide detectors? Cmon. Next it will be methane detectors, benzene detectors, carbon disulfide detectors etc. With all these chemical detectors here wont be enough space left in the room for two people. I really dont consider carbon monoxide a real hazard in hotel rooms.

MisterNice
Old Jan 13, 2007, 8:16 am

Carbon monoxide IS a real hazard at hotels

Originally Posted by MisterNice
I agree on smoke detectors but install carbon monoxide detectors? Cmon. Next it will be methane detectors, benzene detectors, carbon disulfide detectors etc. With all these chemical detectors here wont be enough space left in the room for two people. I really dont consider carbon monoxide a real hazard in hotel rooms.

MisterNice
"Hotel Online News for the Hospitality Executive" reported "Monoxide was cause of death at hotel: The second-largest hotel in Key West will be closed for at least a month while investigators probe the carbon monoxide poisoning of a tourist."

Less than a week before there were three other carbon monoxide poisonings at the hotel. So MisterNice, while you may not "consider carbon monoxide a real hazard in hotel rooms" there are at least two grieving families who understand that carbon monoxide IS a real hazard.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MisterNice

MisterNice
Interesting that you bring up the other detectors.

Five years ago, after a serious sinus and upper respiratory infection, I lost all sense of smell. (More common than you would imagine: http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/sym/loss_of_smell.htm )

Recently I was in a building that had a natural gas leak, I could smell nothing.

CO is odorless but Chlorine and several other common chemicals are in and around hotels and public buildings.

Every few years we hear about a CO or CL death in a hotel. Last time I remember it involved CO from a pool heater.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikey1003
Interesting that you bring up the other detectors.
Five years ago, after a serious sinus and upper respiratory infection, I lost all sense of smell. (More common than you would imagine: http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/sym/loss_of_smell.htm )
Recently I was in a building that had a natural gas leak, I could smell nothing.
CO is odorless but Chlorine and several other common chemicals are in and around hotels and public buildings. Every few years we hear about a CO or CL death in a hotel. Last time I remember it involved CO from a pool heater.
While in the US Army Chemical Corps I did research involving some advanced chemical detectors for chemical and biological weapons. In industry when working with certain dangerous chemicals I use and highly recommend the very sensitive and accurate chemical detectors manufactured by Dräger Safety AG

MisterNice
Old Jan 16, 2007, 11:25 am

Hilton is refunding my points and putting me up in a two bedroom condo for the one night I was booked at for no charge.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 11:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Adirondacker
Hilton is refunding my points and putting me up in a two bedroom condo for the one night I was booked at for no charge.
Care to give the relevance to the above or anything else for that matter?

mike
Old Jan 16, 2007, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by MIKESILV
Care to give the relevance to the above or anything else for that matter?

mike
Sure, my hilton honors reservation was cancelled due to the unfortunate incident, I was letting people know how they handled it.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 9:31 am

Carbon monoxide is generated by the buning of fossil fuels. if a property does not use gas for heating, it wont generate carbon monoxide.

As most hotel rooms where I stay are heated by electricity there is no possibility of generating carbon monoxide in the room. A fire could generate carbon monoxide but that would be detected by a smoke detector.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 8:29 pm

Programs: QF LTG, Velocity FF Red, HH Diamond, PC Platinum Ambassador, UA Nothing
Originally Posted by rjgogo
Carbon monoxide is generated by the buning of fossil fuels. if a property does not use gas for heating, it wont generate carbon monoxide.

As most hotel rooms where I stay are heated by electricity there is no possibility of generating carbon monoxide in the room. A fire could generate carbon monoxide but that would be detected by a smoke detector.
Maybe they use gas hot water!
Old Jan 19, 2007, 9:18 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The insiduous part about CO is that, in addition to being a product of combustion, and is colorless and odorless your hemoglobin (the red substance that binds to O2 and carries it to every cell in your body so you may live,) human hemoglobin has approximately 210 times greater affinity for CO than for 02. It gives you a nice, apparently healthy glow and cherry red lips (not to mention reddish nailbeds.) Nasty stuff!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.