Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree Detroit Airport {US-MI} (no longer Honors)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2002, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond

We are staying at the DT at the Detroit Metro Airport right now. We got a great rate of $60 (an "Internet Best Rate" reserved online) with a Room description: "Exclusive Floor with Upgraded Amenities-Refrigerator and Large Desk with dataport".

The lounge floor is reserved for a family reunion...The desk clerk did not inform me of that so I walked in to see what it is like only to be told by one of the people in the room in a not so nice tone "The room is reserved"...Thoroughly embarassed, I walked back to my room. A little later I went to get some ice and run into one of the DT employees and I asked him "is the lounge open for everybody on our floor right" and he said "yes". Perplexed I called the front desk who then informed me that the lounge is not available this weekend because of the family reunion. I replied in a nice way that it would have been nice to be informed of that at check in to save me the embarassment.

So, my question is: "Is this common?"

As a HH Gold I am not that upset with this (and the fact that our room did not have either refrigerator or large desk with dataport). I guess I should be quite pleased with the upgraded room (larger than the last time I stayed here, but nothing really special especially with no lounge access), two buffet breakfast coupons (got on first and got second one for my wife after kindly asking), the three cookies (one for our son too), a pop at check in, and a nice HH welcome letter in the room with a bottled water...

But I just wonder if they inform the Diamonds at check in about this and if they make it up in some other fashion...if I was a diamond and run in to the same situation I would be quite upset about it!

Comments welcome
Old Jul 27, 2002, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Comments - once I was at the SF Hilton before the new nice lounge opened. One group/family pretty much took it over for its own private party when still "open" for the public, but it was a joke. The staff kept apologizing and didn't charge us for drinks, but it was completely out of hand. I think the hotel took steps to make sure such a thing didn't happen again. Another time, at a Sheraton, the "club lounge" door was open. However, it was closed on the weekend and was being used for a private party. No one told me this, and as I had arrived in the 5pm hour and saw a club lounge door open, I ended up crashing a party. They were very nice about it, and told me to help myself to a glass of wine. The hotel, however, was nasty about the situation.
Old Jul 29, 2002, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
I recall reading this interesting piece where lounge guests not staying at the hotel were CHARGED.

------------------
~ Glen ~
Old Oct 19, 2003, 4:16 am

Programs: Delta Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum, Hertz PC
Doubletree Detroit Airport

Have an upcoming project in Detroit, and noticed the DT was offering triple base points.

Are there any reviews for this property?

Thanks
Old Oct 19, 2003, 10:33 am

Programs: Delta Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum, Hertz PC
I did search before I posted..geesh

However all the entries are old (2002) I was hoping for something more current.
Old Oct 21, 2003, 2:34 pm

Programs: BW Diamond, Choice Plat, National Exec Elite
Some people here seem to like promoting the search function rather than offering helpful info...

Both Doubletrees in DTW (Airport and Novi) were operated under another brand (Novi was a Sheraton). The minimum was done to both hotels to get the Doubletree name. You can do better than a DT in DTW. I know it's not a Hilton family hotel, but if you MUST stay at the airport, go with the Westin. The heavenly beds will make you forget about an upgrade. And you'll have access to the security checkpoint from the Westin that the general public doesn't get to access.

Hope you found this a little more helpful....
Old Oct 21, 2003, 8:11 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond
Stayed there in July after misconnecting to the last flight out of DTW. The property was just okay and I'd rank it among the bottom of the barrel of DT properties I've seen. The AC didn't work in the first room I was given. They moved me to another room and the AC sounded like a 747 taking off in my room. By that time I was too tired to care. Furniture & decor were worn and dated. The only plus was a full hot breakfast buffet or any item from the a la carte menu. If I were in a similar situation again, I'd pass on this hotel.
Old Oct 23, 2003, 10:34 am

Programs: AA-Plt, UA-1P, PC Plt, National ECEE
I've noticed that MANY of the 3-star priceline.com bids for the DTW zone are accepted by this hotel for ~$34. To me that says there is a reason this DT can't sell the rooms on their own and allow priceline access to a lot of their inventory.

You can check it out on biddingfortravel.com. I looked through the reviews on BFT, but didn't find any for this hotel.

Old Apr 27, 2005, 2:58 pm

Any recent updates on this hotel?
Old Apr 28, 2005, 7:22 am

I've never stayed there, but this property participates in the double points and miles promotion that can be found at www.doubletreepromo.com.
Old May 17, 2005, 10:40 am
Suspended

DTW Doubletree - VIP Points or Executive Level upgrade?

We are staying at this property for the first time (Romulus, MI) to catch an early morning fligth out of DTW. I am HHonors Gold on a government rate.

Reviews elsewhere make the place look pretty bad, but I don't know if it has been remodeled recently.

Should I take the 1,000 points or get the upgrade? Is there and Executive Floor and is is worth it? Normally, I would not be so picky but it is my first time at a Doubletree and it is also the evening of my birthday. I want it to be nice. 6 am flight on the 19th dictates DTW (not an ideal location.)

Any help would be appreciated - didn't find anythign with Search. Thanks!
Old May 17, 2005, 3:41 pm

Take the 1000 points. I stayed there in 8/03 and IIRC one wing of the hotel was designated as "Hilton Honors" (not "Executive") but there was nothing special about it other than maybe the Free Press outside the door in the morning. There's an HGI close by (with suites) if you have a choice but it will definitely run you more $$$.
Old May 18, 2005, 6:44 am

Programs: HH Diamond, NWA
I don't think the HGI costs more. It's definitely newer, we stayed there in March and it was nice. Both properties offer a "park-n-fly" option online which includes parking at a nearby lot. The one for the HGI was right across the street, convenient to leave the car there and walk back to use the hotel shuttle to the airport.
Old May 18, 2005, 9:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by arctictraveler
I don't think the HGI costs more. It's definitely newer, we stayed there in March and it was nice. Both properties offer a "park-n-fly" option online which includes parking at a nearby lot. The one for the HGI was right across the street, convenient to leave the car there and walk back to use the hotel shuttle to the airport.
Not true. For today:

HGI BAR = $149 (Park N Fly = $159)
Doubltree BAR = $129 (Park N Fly = $139)

Also, not all hotels honor the state employee rate (which is based on Michigan per diem - $65 a day.) HGI's govt employee rate is based on the federal per diem of $107, no state rate offered.
Old Jun 21, 2005, 2:23 pm

I got a postcard promoting an offer to earn double Hilton Honors base points and double WorldPerks miles (for those people who are slaves to Northwest). The postcard isn't clear whether this particular promotion will work for the 55 other airline partners, but to secure the deal the plan code is HH2. Or ask the travel professional for "double points and miles".

Good from June 1st through August 31st, 2005.

Oooh, complimentary high speed internet, complimentary local calls (to order pizza for the rooms next door), complimentary buffet breakfast (so you can look like other Detroit expatriates... like me).

Last edited by DJMeatBall; Jun 22, 2005 at 2:58 am Reason: spelling error

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.