Hilton Vancouver Airport {CAN}

Old Nov 11, 2006, 4:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Delta Platinum AA Platinum
Thanks for quick reply...FREE HSIA not important and since Marriott is identical and Hilton rate is better...sounds like Hilton will do...I never have breakfast or never go to the concierge lounge so this seems to meet all my needs.
Old Nov 11, 2006, 9:03 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
If you don't need breakfast or lounge, sounds like you just want a room. I'd take the Hampton Inn if it is cheaper.
Old Nov 12, 2006, 2:47 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
The Four Points in Richmond is probably one of the best in N America. There's a huge mall (Landsdowne Mall) just across the street. It usually has great rates as well.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All the rooms at the YVR Hilton are "suites". They do have a van for airport transportation and I believe still have a free computer or two by the front desk. I am not a big fan of the hotel though. Unfortunately the Hampton Inn is way too noisy for me especially the thin walls. Also they often have many Asian tours groups clogging the check-in lines and the lobby.

MisterNice
Old Nov 13, 2006, 12:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Delta Platinum AA Platinum
Thank you...I am here now and it meets my needs...will go between the Marriott and the Hilton each week and assess which is better. Did get a junior suite although not certain if all rooms are suites here. I did check in at midnight last night and when I got to my room there were boxes of supplies all over, they quickly moved me but annoying after 10 hours of travel. The shuttle was very efficient though.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
Not being very familiar with the YVR area, the most amusing thing to me about this hotel was (as memory servers me) the lack of floors numbered "4" and "13".

Apparently, in several Asian cultures, "4" is considered just as unlucky as "13" is in other cultures.

But more OT, I was very satisfied my one night there back in Aug 05.

Oh, yeah, another strange thing: There was a solid, locked door between the room and the odd little balcony attached to the room I had.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 12:23 pm
Community Director Emerita

I took at face value the post above that said all the rooms in the hotel are suites. I changed my preference to free internet before arrival. This was not a good decision. This is what we were initially given:
  • Free internet; would have cost $11.95 or we could have used free computers behind front desk
  • A very small room, one of just two on the floor
  • No complimentary breakfast

Once we realized the situation, the front desk was gracious about renegotiating with us. We were moved into a junior suite and given complimentary continental breakfast (which could be used as a $13 credit on anything on the menu). I honestly don`t find the point in stuffing a diamond into the tiniest room in the hotel irregardless of chosing free internet. It certainly didn`t create good will.

We used the shuttle from and to the airport. It was just fine.

There are many ethnic restaurants in easy walking distance. We had a great meal at Shanghai River Restaurant, and recommend it.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My bad as I was told all rooms were small and medium suites. The HH continental (once was full) breakfast is not very good so I would eat breakfast elsewhere. As noted many ok restaurants within 15 min walk. Personally I like the Irish restaurant and/or bar about 5-10 min away. Oh yes, the Hilton bar has absolutely no charm but high prices. Avoid it!

MisterNice
Old Jul 23, 2008, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Honors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by MisterNice
All the rooms at the YVR Hilton are "suites". They do have a van for airport transportation and I believe still have a free computer or two by the front desk. I am not a big fan of the hotel though. Unfortunately the Hampton Inn is way too noisy for me especially the thin walls. Also they often have many Asian tours groups clogging the check-in lines and the lobby.

MisterNice
I stayed there 12 times last year and never ran into any of that. The only Asian groups that clogged up the check in desk were the flight crews from YVR but overall for the money this hotel can't be beat. The front desk staff was always more then helpful and the rooms for a Hampton Inn were rather nice.

The Hilton YVR IMO is OK...not worth the money though. I like the Hilton Metrotown much better. The Delta at YVR is very nice for an older hotel and you can get some good rates there.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by TAlfano
The Delta at YVR is very nice for an older hotel and you can get some good rates there.
Just be aware that this property does (or did) not have a/c. It makes a difference on some days.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 2:59 pm

Location: Here, There and Everywhere (but now on the Pacific)!
Programs: AC E75, MPC G and NEXUS/GE fan, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold, National EE, Amex Plat
I also don't think the Hilton YVR is worth the usual inflated rates. Now the Fairmont YVR, that's a different story!
Old Sep 15, 2009, 1:17 pm

Does anyone know of cheap (or even free) over-night parking near the Hilton YVR? I will have a car with me and the hotel wants another 12 CAD plus taxes for parking per night. Thanks.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by MisterNice
My bad as I was told all rooms were small and medium suites. The HH continental (once was full) breakfast is not very good so I would eat breakfast elsewhere. As noted many ok restaurants within 15 min walk. Personally I like the Irish restaurant and/or bar about 5-10 min away. Oh yes, the Hilton bar has absolutely no charm but high prices. Avoid it!

MisterNice
I can tell you it is not all suites, and their website said it is all suite too, which is totally misleading. If they are all suites, thie property would have been called Hilton Suites Vancouver Airport.

I don't believe they have junior suites either. There is only one kind, and it is like the suites in Embassy Suites, living room and a bedroom separate by a floor to ceiling wall with a door. As a gold, I got 100% rate "upgraded" into suites. Four separate times I got upgrade to suites in four different rooms, they are all the same size, same room plan. The year I dropped down to silver, never given a suite. For regular rooms, rooms that are bigger come with mini fridge, smaller rooms have none. I am not sure their ratio of suites and non-suites room though.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
I can tell you it is not all suites, and their website said it is all suite too, which is totally misleading. If they are all suites, thie property would have been called Hilton Suites Vancouver Airport.......
You are correct and not all the rooms are 2 room suites. I guess I was upgraded on all my stays there as a Diamond but I definately was told all rooms are suites. About a block away there is a Marriott with almost exactly the same configeration except it has a concierge/executive lounge and some other more upgraded stuff. The Marriott site sez "Luxurious Vancouver accommodations including 65 hotel rooms and 172 spacious Vancouver suites" and I prefer it to the Hilton but usually it is more expensive and I dont get the free upgrade to its concierge level anymore.

MisterNice
Old Sep 21, 2009, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by yashan
Does anyone know of cheap (or even free) over-night parking near the Hilton YVR? I will have a car with me and the hotel wants another 12 CAD plus taxes for parking per night. Thanks.
Bumping my query in case anyone can help...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.