Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton London Canary Wharf {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, Shangri La Jade
Originally Posted by Winniesbestfriend

sarahluv, was the lounge door key operated on Friday/Saturday as they told me they would?

I got in pre 6pm and it wasn't then, but the desk was manned. I agree with the above summary. the Gin bar last week was due it being the London Gin Festival. They had the special gin bar all week.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 4:43 am

Programs: Eurobonus Gold [*AG], Finnair Gold [OWS] HHonors Diamond, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by Erikderek_SWE
I'll have a (extended weekend) stay booked adjacent to the refurb of the lounge, I'll let you all know how it turned out-

EK
Sorry all, there where will be no report, my son got fever and we couldn't travel this weekend...

EK
Old Mar 2, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Sorry all, there where will be no report, my son got fever and we couldn't travel this weekend...

EK

its cool mate, thanks for coming back regardless and I hope your son recovers soon!
im supposed to be in Hilton Reading tonight and Doubletree Bristol tomorrow night for a gig but had to cancel as the weather is horrendous here!......... London is extremely cold and snowy/ icy right now...... best stay at home!
Old Mar 2, 2018, 4:22 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver

EK
I'll be there on Sunday for one night so will see what the refurbed lounge is like and if there are any rowdy guests haha
Old Mar 3, 2018, 3:28 am

Originally Posted by labdoctor
I'll be there on Sunday for one night so will see what the refurbed lounge is like and if there are any rowdy guests haha
yes please do, new floor and a paint job apparently...... as for being rowdy my guess is it will be quiet as it's a Sunday and the weather is bad here........however I hope it's a positive experience and we look forward to your report.......many thanks.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 8:02 am

Last couple of times I’ve stayed it’s been a Sunday and it’s been similar to a midweek night.

Sundays are usually pretty peaceful with the exception of ones that fall over a bank holiday. Rates are usually significantly higher on a Sunday compared to the Friday and Saturday with people arriving for work/meetings early on the Monday in and around CW.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by chrism20
Last couple of times I’ve stayed it’s been a Sunday and it’s been similar to a midweek night.

Sundays are usually pretty peaceful with the exception of ones that fall over a bank holiday. Rates are usually significantly higher on a Sunday compared to the Friday and Saturday with people arriving for work/meetings early on the Monday in and around CW.
yep.....spot on!....... and yes Sunday's that follow bank holidays are like a Saturday night too.
i occasionally stay on a Monday night ( 2 or 3 times a year) and it's completely different, suits shirts and blouses......it's bliss!
Old Mar 21, 2018, 5:15 am

Programs: Hilton Honors diamond
Eventful stay

Spent another eventful weekend at Canary Wharf, it was so awful I don’t know where to start, but I know how to end, I will never stay another weekend in this hotel ever again, and if I’m tempted please somebody remind me not to do it, no matter how low the rate.

I arrived Friday afternoon to find the hotel lobby packed with fans and fighters of the UFC matches at the O2 that weekend, my mistake for not checking what was on there I admit. Room upgrade from standard to executive, welcome amenity a bowl of fruit.
Went to the lounge at 6pm, door was closed and not busy to begin with. Food has completely changed, new chef apparently, instead of canapes for hotel guests they now try to cater for dockworkers, portions were so big they didn’t even fit the bowls anymore, during the weekend I saw appearing: lamb koftas too spicy and stone cold. Vegetable tempura soggy. Pork ribs in barbecue sauce and sticky as hell.

Because the executive lounge door was closed from 6pm, some people couldn’t enter so they rattled the door and for some strange reason, the young girl on desk duty ran to the door to open it, every single time !! She had a list to check people with access, but at 6.45pm some fighters or their fans were already too drunk to remember their room number so they just walked in. I’m not blaming the girl, what could she do, 20 something and not a manager in sight. What I don’t understand is why she had to open that door??? Who told her to do that? The crowd that was arriving was super rough and I didn’t fancy staying so I went out for dinner, the dark streets of london seemed safer imo.

That night nobody on our corridor had to sleep as it was a constant door slamming, people going downstairs for a smoke or getting ice. I could hear the talking- if I can call it that - from 2 doors down, can you imagine that? F** here and F** there. Charming.
When I went for breakfast the corridor stank of booze, wine glasses everywhere, a toilet roll rolled out near the lifts, not a pretty sight.
Those poor girls from housekeeping were still slaving away at 6pm after they all checked out on Sunday, if the corridors looked like a war zone you can imagine how the rooms looked.

I have never felt unsafe in this hotel before as a single woman, but this weekend I have. Security is non existant, if there’s a problem a duty manager will come !!! What’s he or she going to do against a 6ft2 bodybuilder/fighter and his equally charming wife?

In case anyone is wondering, the lounge refurbishment was painting the ceiling, not the walls and to repair the broken flooring in front of the coffee machine, so there is now vertical and horizontal flooring. Job well done they think. I disagree, but then again I disagree with many things going on in that place and I’m not going to waste any more energy in talking to management about it, I’ll just stop coming.

Last edited by Winniesbestfriend; Mar 21, 2018 at 5:31 am
Old Mar 21, 2018, 6:04 am

Damn that sounds bad. We all know about the rowdy lounge, but it's a whole other level if you were made to feel unsafe! Sorry to hear that.

Did you speak to anyone about it?
Old Mar 21, 2018, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by Winniesbestfriend
Spent another eventful weekend at Canary Wharf, it was so awful I don’t know where to start, but I know how to end, I will never stay another weekend in this hotel ever again, and if I’m tempted please somebody remind me not to do it, no matter how low the rate.

I arrived Friday afternoon to find the hotel lobby packed with fans and fighters of the UFC matches at the O2 that weekend, my mistake for not checking what was on there I admit. Room upgrade from standard to executive, welcome amenity a bowl of fruit.
Went to the lounge at 6pm, door was closed and not busy to begin with. Food has completely changed, new chef apparently, instead of canapes for hotel guests they now try to cater for dockworkers, portions were so big they didn’t even fit the bowls anymore, during the weekend I saw appearing: lamb koftas too spicy and stone cold. Vegetable tempura soggy. Pork ribs in barbecue sauce and sticky as hell.

Because the executive lounge door was closed from 6pm, some people couldn’t enter so they rattled the door and for some strange reason, the young girl on desk duty ran to the door to open it, every single time !! She had a list to check people with access, but at 6.45pm some fighters or their fans were already too drunk to remember their room number so they just walked in. I’m not blaming the girl, what could she do, 20 something and not a manager in sight. What I don’t understand is why she had to open that door??? Who told her to do that? The crowd that was arriving was super rough and I didn’t fancy staying so I went out for dinner, the dark streets of london seemed safer imo.

That night nobody on our corridor had to sleep as it was a constant door slamming, people going downstairs for a smoke or getting ice. I could hear the talking- if I can call it that - from 2 doors down, can you imagine that? F** here and F** there. Charming.
When I went for breakfast the corridor stank of booze, wine glasses everywhere, a toilet roll rolled out near the lifts, not a pretty sight.
Those poor girls from housekeeping were still slaving away at 6pm after they all checked out on Sunday, if the corridors looked like a war zone you can imagine how the rooms looked.

I have never felt unsafe in this hotel before as a single woman, but this weekend I have. Security is non existant, if there’s a problem a duty manager will come !!! What’s he or she going to do against a 6ft2 bodybuilder/fighter and his equally charming wife?

In case anyone is wondering, the lounge refurbishment was painting the ceiling, not the walls and to repair the broken flooring in front of the coffee machine, so there is now vertical and horizontal flooring. Job well done they think. I disagree, but then again I disagree with many things going on in that place and I’m not going to waste any more energy in talking to management about it, I’ll just stop coming.
dear oh dear......... it just gets worse doesn't it, absolutely unacceptable!........... similar thing thing happened to me when Conner mcgeggor was at Hilton Liverpool last year, but he didn't come into the lounge thank god.........also what's happened to the canapés?....... I hate hearing stories like this , however I appreciate you coming on hear and telling us all......what a shambles!
Old Mar 21, 2018, 10:30 am

That does not sound good at all and is worrying that you didn’t feel safe.

There is cage fighting and boxing at the O2 this weekend so it’s probably avoidable this week also.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 10:42 am

The canapes are still there, although no crackers anymore, what I meant was the size of the “finger food” isn’t finger anymore more hand size.

In reply to The Vengeful Traveller, oh yes I spoke to everybody about it and the reception staff and concierge were having a sigh of relieve when they all left, so many complaints they got from other guests and problems with kids phoning reception as a prank and hanging up. I’ve said it before, most staff are amazing but if you don’t have the backing of your manager what can they do?
Old Mar 21, 2018, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have a stay shortly. Thinking I’ll cancel.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by hugolover
I have a stay shortly. Thinking I’ll cancel.
i have some friends who are there Saturday night, I will find out how they get on.........that said, you should be ok any night except Friday and Saturdays ....oh and Sundays where a bank holiday follows.

Last edited by wizla; Mar 21, 2018 at 2:31 pm Reason: additional information added
Old Mar 21, 2018, 5:01 pm

Looking forward to hearing your friends' experience and I hope for them they'll get some sleep.

I just cancelled my bank holiday weekend stay here, another fight on at the O2 on the 5th, shame as it was super cheap. Not sure where to book now, might try Bankside or Waldorf.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.