Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Americas-Houston {US-TX}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2009, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
Does this hotel have Zip-In Check-In Kiosks?
Old Feb 9, 2009, 11:48 am

Location: DL MM & FC, Hertz Plat, Avis Pres Club, Nat'l Exec Elite, Hilton Diamond
Bump - any updates on stays, upgrades (status and facilities/furhishings, etc.?
Old Feb 9, 2009, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by SteveHOU
Bump - any updates on stays, upgrades (status and facilities/furhishings, etc.?
The hotel still looks great, inside and out. Rooms have been kept up quite well. It's still my favorite hotel in Downtown Houston, although the DoubleTree is a close runner up since it was renovated. The Hilton Americas has just passed five years in operation, and is still an excellent property. It still blows away any of the full service Starwood properties in the city (although there is a new Westin under construction on the west side of the city) and I still prefer it to any of the full service Marriotts.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 11:49 am

Location: DL MM & FC, Hertz Plat, Avis Pres Club, Nat'l Exec Elite, Hilton Diamond
ssulivan, thanks for the up-date.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 3:01 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Checked in last night and as a Diamond got assigned a room on the 16th floor which is an HHonors floor. Room had HD flat screen TV, cordless phone, chair with ottoman, comfy bed with 5 feather pillows. Bathroom was large and had plenty of counter space.

Exec lounge is on the 19th floor and is closest to the WEST elevator bank. Exec lounge only had a cheese and cracker tray out in the evening. There was a bartender mixing cocktails for a price in the evening. The breakfast options were slightly better with bagels, toast, english muffins, cereal, milk and melon. I found the exec lounge to be nice, but I wouldn't pay for it based on the pretty limited offerings.

The gym is on the 23rd floor and can only be accessed from the WEST elevator bank. The east elevator bank only goes up to the 19th floor. All the cardio equipment is lined up against the windows. I enjoyed watching the sunrise this morning while working out.

Self parking is across the street in a separate lot. It is $16 a day while valet is $23. There is a flat rate $6 taxi service in Houston for downtown locations, so if you are only doing things in downtown you could probably skip the car.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 3:40 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, Alaska MVPG100K, Marriott Titanium Elite
Checked in today as a Diamond. Only king available was on a lower floor, no upgrade. I called to inquire switching rooms tomorrow as I am here for a week and they stated much more will be available as they have a large contingent checking out tomorrow. I will post more later in the week or after my stay.

Originally Posted by prncess674
Checked in last night and as a Diamond got assigned a room on the 16th floor which is an HHonors floor. Room had HD flat screen TV, cordless phone, chair with ottoman, comfy bed with 5 feather pillows. Bathroom was large and had plenty of counter space.

Exec lounge is on the 19th floor and is closest to the WEST elevator bank. Exec lounge only had a cheese and cracker tray out in the evening. There was a bartender mixing cocktails for a price in the evening. The breakfast options were slightly better with bagels, toast, english muffins, cereal, milk and melon. I found the exec lounge to be nice, but I wouldn't pay for it based on the pretty limited offerings.

The gym is on the 23rd floor and can only be accessed from the WEST elevator bank. The east elevator bank only goes up to the 19th floor. All the cardio equipment is lined up against the windows. I enjoyed watching the sunrise this morning while working out.

Self parking is across the street in a separate lot. It is $16 a day while valet is $23. There is a flat rate $6 taxi service in Houston for downtown locations, so if you are only doing things in downtown you could probably skip the car.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 3:53 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by charliew24
Checked in today as a Diamond. Only king available was on a lower floor, no upgrade. I called to inquire switching rooms tomorrow as I am here for a week and they stated much more will be available as they have a large contingent checking out tomorrow. I will post more later in the week or after my stay.
Personally I wouldn't bother changinig just for a higher floor. All the rooms appear to be very standard with very few suites. If you can switch to a suite then maybe I would change. I don't know about you, but I don't spend much time gazing out windows while on a business trip. Heck I am lucky to get back to the hotel while the sun is still out.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 10:20 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, Alaska MVPG100K, Marriott Titanium Elite
True....thanks for the input. I'll see if an upgrade is in order, if not, staying put is probably the right thing. I'll post anything not found in this thread if I come across it.

Thanks

Originally Posted by prncess674
Personally I wouldn't bother changinig just for a higher floor. All the rooms appear to be very standard with very few suites. If you can switch to a suite then maybe I would change. I don't know about you, but I don't spend much time gazing out windows while on a business trip. Heck I am lucky to get back to the hotel while the sun is still out.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 12:34 pm

Programs: CO-PLT,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Silver, AA ex Platinum, Avis 1st
Originally Posted by ssullivan
The hotel still looks great, inside and out. Rooms have been kept up quite well. It's still my favorite hotel in Downtown Houston, although the DoubleTree is a close runner up since it was renovated. The Hilton Americas has just passed five years in operation, and is still an excellent property. It still blows away any of the full service Starwood properties in the city (although there is a new Westin under construction on the west side of the city) and I still prefer it to any of the full service Marriotts.
Have you stayed at the Starwood property St. Regis? If so, you can't possibly mean the Hilton Americas blows it away. NO WAY!!! Stayed at both and most other hotels in Houston. I will say though, that Americas is second to St. Regis.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 1:42 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ssullivan
It's still my favorite hotel in Downtown Houston, although the DoubleTree is a close runner up since it was renovated.
Originally Posted by spineangel
Have you stayed at the Starwood property St. Regis? If so, you can't possibly mean the Hilton Americas blows it away. NO WAY!!! Stayed at both and most other hotels in Houston. I will say though, that Americas is second to St. Regis.
Reading is fundamental. While the St. Regis is a lovely hotel, it is a far cry from downtown.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 2:00 pm

Programs: Ozark Go-Getters Gold, Statler Star Silver, others from a variety of alternate timelines
Had a 3-night stay (Thursday-Saturday nights), with 2 king rooms reserved. As a Gold, I was given a corner room on the 14th floor and a city view room on the 16th floor.

To add on a bit to prncess674's post from last year, the Exec Lounge had grits available at breakfast each morning, and a crudites tray in addition to the cheese and crackers in the evening. Items did get replenished promptly, although the staff seemed a little slow to clear and clean tables that were abandoned.

The free Internet benefit was handled by taking it off the bill (not a special code).

I was in town for both an Astros game and for a football game at Rice University, and it was a good location for both (got to Rice via Houston's light-rail line, which is about 6 blocks from this hotel).
Old Sep 21, 2010, 6:50 pm

Programs: SPG Gold-no diff than Plat, so who cares; Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, US CP
I think that this is probably the nicest downtown Houston hotel with outstanding service throughout the experience of my one night, and a great, decent size room. As a frequent traveler, I'm used to having inconsistent, uncomfortable and awkward charges, but the ones at this hotel are some of the worst I've seen, as has been reflected in other comments. $10 to move some boxes from the ballroom to a car for a banquet; $5 per package mailed in "handling fee", and $11 to mail a box fed ex from the business center. Parking is typical for downtown hotels. Several restaurants/bars, although I didn't have time to visit any, and a couple of reasonable prices--even on room service items. I'm a Hyatt and Starwood devoutee, but would stay here if the time/price was right for business (too expensive for pleasure). Nicer than the Hyatt, comparable to the JW Marriott at the Galleria in service and cleanliness.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 11:09 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Have a future stay planned here - is there a drugstore near this property? Google maps searches aren't very revealing on this.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 5:44 pm

Programs: Ozark Go-Getters Gold, Statler Star Silver, others from a variety of alternate timelines
Originally Posted by gengar
Have a future stay planned here - is there a drugstore near this property?
There's a CVS at 917 Main (a few blocks north and west), but it may have relatively limited hours, as do many establishments in downtown Houston.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 12:14 am

Programs: United Global Services,Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, National Executive Elite
There is a full grocercy store over near Reef resteraunt. Also hghly recommend Reef if you like seafood, some of the best in Houston. Also be sure to try the pool at this hotel, love the lare lap pool indoors and up high.

I live in houston, but stayed here a while back as a weekend getaway and loved it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.