Hilton Athens {GRC}

Old Dec 5, 2014, 2:41 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
As a Diamond HH member, would I possibly get an upgrade from an Executive Room to a Business suite?

Thanks.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 7:11 am

Programs: Hilton, Marriott, United
Go there and you will find out

Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
As a Diamond HH member, would I possibly get an upgrade from an Executive Room to a Business suite?

Thanks.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 3:51 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Very constructive response.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 5:53 pm

Programs: DL GM SkyClub; Starwood Gold, Hertz Gold, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
Very constructive response.
This Diamond didn't get an upgrade at all, forget about even an Executive Room... I book Acropolis view and that's what I got. It seems like they upgraded all the Golds to Executive rooms since they don't get executive lounge access anyways. That's fine with me since there isn't any real difference between the Exec Room and a Regular Room anyways.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 8:50 am

Programs: Hyatt: Diamond, HHonors: Diamond, SPG: Gold
Review from June Stay

I stayed here with the Mrs. back in the beginning of June on a 4-night cash & points stay. Both Mrs. Selfish and I are HH gold. We booked a standard room and were upgraded to an executive floor room with an Acropolis view. Great value considering the retail cost of booking a room in this town!

PROS
+ Hotel is in a decent location to most major tourist attractions, and the airport
+ Breakfast and lounge are decent. Breakfast is standard EU fare, view from the lounge is pretty great.
+ The view

CONS
- Rooms are a little dated
? Weird curtain separating bathroom/bedroom area. Not necessarily a con, but definitely odd.

Full review with pictures on the ol' blog, if anyone is interested.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 12:10 pm

Many thanks RamAir and MisterSelfish for your constructive responses!

I have booked a Business Suite with Executive Lounge access and will see at check in if I get upgraded.

I asked for a late check out and they said I should ask one the day but be prepared for a cost, which was not really the response I expected.

Looking forward to the stay and will provide my feedback.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 1:02 pm

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Very nice that this thread has been revived as I have just booked an award ticket on sale to Athens in January.
And I have booked Hilton on points and cash.
From what I have read here and elsewhere the Hilton is supposed to be a fairly decent hotel with a nice lounge.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
We are there for 3 days including New Year's Eve in a 'Business Suite'.

Can anyone please advise the hours for evening cocktails in the lounge?

What is usual fare there? Red/White wine and beer etc like most Hiltons?

Any FT'ers that may be about please touch base and we can catch up for a drink perhaps.

Many thanks.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 10:59 am

Programs: MUCCI - Order of the Diamond Hairbrush and Champion of Queens,BA Broon,HH Diamond,PC Plat,BA Amex
Originally Posted by ozstamps
We are there for 3 days including New Year's Eve in a 'Business Suite'.

Can anyone please advise the hours for evening cocktails in the lounge?

What is usual fare there? Red/White wine and beer etc like most Hiltons?

Any FT'ers that may be about please touch base and we can catch up for a drink perhaps.

Many thanks.
Stayed last year with the family ....... evening hors d'oeuvres were from 1800-2030hrs, 2 brands of beer in the chillers, also red & white wine, and all typical spirits available on a free-pour basis. Most folk managed to get 3 or 4 drinks at the end of the service period, and sit and enjoy them for the next hour or 2 (lounge closed at 2300hrs as I recall).

Have a great time, we loved it ! ^
Old Dec 22, 2014, 7:29 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by Rickers
Stayed last year with the family ....... evening hors d'oeuvres were from 1800-2030hrs, 2 brands of beer in the chillers, also red & white wine, and all typical spirits available on a free-pour basis. Most folk managed to get 3 or 4 drinks at the end of the service period, and sit and enjoy them for the next hour or 2 (lounge closed at 2300hrs as I recall).

Have a great time, we loved it ! ^
I think things have changed. I was just there over US Thanksgiving holiday and pretty sure they shut things down at 20:00 and do not remember anything available other than beer and wine. The wine was drinkable but not that great. The food was minimal also. We skipped the lounge the rest of our trip.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 9:54 am

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Originally Posted by mcgahat
I think things have changed. I was just there over US Thanksgiving holiday and pretty sure they shut things down at 20:00 and do not remember anything available other than beer and wine. The wine was drinkable but not that great. The food was minimal also. We skipped the lounge the rest of our trip.
My experience from this summer too.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 6:17 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
We are looking forward to another stay here in April. I do hope the service and lounge offerings haven't declined.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 8:03 am

Programs: MUCCI - Order of the Diamond Hairbrush and Champion of Queens,BA Broon,HH Diamond,PC Plat,BA Amex
Sadly, it sounds like everything has been cut right back.

A real shame, because I always regarded the Athens Hilton as 1 of the best, and the lounge was a large part of that, however it is still a lovely place to sit in the morning or evening, and I'll still be going back !
Old Dec 23, 2014, 2:34 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
Originally Posted by mcgahat
Same when I was there for a week in the summer. I am sure the drinks were 17:30 - 19:30.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by Rickers
Quote:
Most folk managed to get 3 or 4 drinks at the end of the service period, and sit and enjoy them for the next hour or 2 (lounge closed at 2300hrs as I recall).

Have a great time, we loved it !
Does one have to wonder that things changed based on this?

Last time we were in Athens we went with a Starwood option (Grand Bretagne) due to the more central location.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.