Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Athens {GRC}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2015, 12:12 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
The changes in the tax rates are part of the latest package of "tax reforms" agreed by the bailout #3. I put reforms in brackets as there are not any true reforms taking place. To make the numbers work, the Greeks just keep taxing and reducing salaries/pensions so they can spare the jobs of the main voting block that votes them into power...the government workers/union block while the best and brightest get the hell out. Oh, prepare to pay much higher entrance fees to tourist sites as well. If there was any bright spot in the Greek economy it was tourism and they again just took steps to make them even more non competitive compared to the countries in the region.

Expect more fireworks from the street of Athens this month. The ones protesting used to protest together with the idiots "rebels" running this government.

Greece is not a normal country...
Old Nov 30, 2015, 2:07 am

Just had a couple of nights here, and have to say, it is one of the better hiltons I have used recently.
Checkin on the 11th floor, as a diamond, and upgraded to a room with a view (!) of the Parthenon complete with scaffolding and cranes.

Staff great from front to back, lounge very good and super attentive staff, and not the usual mass of people hoarding food and drink because it's free. Breakfast in the lounge also very good, limited choices perhaps but more than enough to make me happy.

Not a cheap stay, but well worth the money.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by tezzer
Just had a couple of nights here, and have to say, it is one of the better hiltons I have used recently.
Checkin on the 11th floor, as a diamond, and upgraded to a room with a view (!) of the Parthenon complete with scaffolding and cranes.

Staff great from front to back, lounge very good and super attentive staff, and not the usual mass of people hoarding food and drink because it's free. Breakfast in the lounge also very good, limited choices perhaps but more than enough to make me happy.
Made just the same experience recently in ATH. Nice stay and excellent staff.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
You do get a good bang for your buck at this facility, some very attractive cash and points nights are often available (16k points and 60 euro/night), and the hot food in the lounge is very good. Golds typically get upgrades to an executive lounge room from the cheapest room available, and you could also get a second upgrade for free (Acropolis view room) if you ask for it. The staff is very helpful. The hotel is very spacious. Spa is free, and there are three restaurants, hair salon, and few stores within the building.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 8:59 pm

Programs: SWA, IHG, Hilton, AA, Marriott, Starwood
Travel to Athens Hilton

My wife and I are travel to Athens in late April on a Friday afternoon.
What would be the best way to get to the hotel from the Airport?

Taxi, Subway? Hotel Service auto?

Any help would be appreciated!!

Wildcat Fan
Old Jan 10, 2016, 12:16 am

Hilton Athens {GRC}

For the bus:
Purchase the tickets from the driver or the kiosk outside the terminal. When stepping out of the terminal you have the kiosk directly next to one of the exits.
Bus number is X95. It drives approx. every 15-20 min.
Price is 5 Euro per direction per person.
You have to validate the ticket inside the bus.
Ride to the hilton takes around 40 min. (Depending on traffic situation.)
When looking into driving direction you will see the hilton on the left hand side, easy to recognize with the hieroglyphics on its facade. Get out there and cross the junction to the hotel.
Bus to airport is on the hotel side (just to the right when stepping out of the hotel). Purchase ticket from driver. Don't forget to make a sign to the driver when the bus is approaching the bus stop, otherwise he might not stop.

Last edited by PetzLUX; Jan 10, 2016 at 12:23 am
Old Jan 10, 2016, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by WildcatFan
My wife and I are travel to Athens in late April on a Friday afternoon.
What would be the best way to get to the hotel from the Airport?

Taxi, Subway? Hotel Service auto?

Any help would be appreciated!!

Wildcat Fan
If you don't have much luggage, the X95 bus may be the cheapest option. Taxis are 38 euro fixed price (midnight-5am is 50 euro fixed price). There is also uber reportedly for 20-23 euro. There is also a shuttle I have never used:
http://www.city-discovery.com/greece...er.php?id=1143

Hilton instructions, (includes some metro directions):
http://www.hiltonathens.gr/en/location.html

Uber discussion here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aegea...odation-2.html
Old May 19, 2016, 10:54 am

Programs: UA Platinum (1MM Gold), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Another great stay...

This was our third or fourth time at the Athens Hilton and it again exceeded expectations. Having dropped to Gold this year there was, of course, no guarantee of lounge access. We were informed on arrival that we'd been upgraded to the executive floor with an Acropolis view. This on an embarrassingly low points and cash stay.

As others have said, the executive lounge and staff are great with a nice spread of Greek specialties from 6-8 PM each evening. Breakfast was also very good in the lounge. Overhead another couple ask about breakfast in the restaurant and they were told that was an option, as well. The rooms are spacious and modern. Nice balcony from which we enjoyed the sunset views over the city. The (non-Diamond) WiFi was more than adequate.

There is a tower construction crane right across the street from the Hilton was is on a direct line with the Parthenon (which has its own cranes operating). However, our room was far enough along the arc of the hotel to get an unblocked view periodically as the crane rotated. At night, and I'm guessing at the request of the Hilton, the boom was parked perpendicular to the hotel leaving a clear view for many rooms, ours included. The reason I think the Hilton may have influenced this is that the parked location of the boom was overhanging a busy street...generally not done if it can be avoided.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 8:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Anyone stay here more recently? I'm considering a stay. I have hilton gold and they want 153 euros per night. Seems like I can get more reasonably priced hotels nearby. Is this a higher end Hilton worth the extra money?
Old Aug 18, 2016, 8:32 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Red259
Anyone stay here more recently? I'm considering a stay. I have hilton gold and they want 153 euros per night. Seems like I can get more reasonably priced hotels nearby. Is this a higher end Hilton worth the extra money?
Most reviews I have read ( more recently on TA) gives the Hilton high marks. That said it is about 25-30 minutes walk to most of what you go to Athens to see ( ancient monuments, Plaka,etc) .....there are very good hotels for 250E and others for less.... for me its all about location....and the Hilton does not fit that bill.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by david4455
Most reviews I have read ( more recently on TA) gives the Hilton high marks. That said it is about 25-30 minutes walk to most of what you go to Athens to see ( ancient monuments, Plaka,etc) .....there are very good hotels for 250E and others for less.... for me its all about location....and the Hilton does not fit that bill.
Oh wow. I am glad I asked. I was thinking about lounge access etc, but I was also under the impression that it was more central. I can get a budget hotel for like $96 a night which is only as few minutes away from everything. It won't be as nice but it will save me a lot of walking back and forth to sights since my time is limited.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 7:12 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Oh wow. I am glad I asked. I was thinking about lounge access etc, but I was also under the impression that it was more central. I can get a budget hotel for like $96 a night which is only as few minutes away from everything. It won't be as nice but it will save me a lot of walking back and forth to sights since my time is limited.
If you want, PM or post some the hotels you are looking at. I know Athens pretty well. I can tell you at $96 you are looking at bare bones, hostel quality.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 11:02 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
You can take the metro a few stops into the center of town.
The metro station is very close to the hotel.
It's a very, very nice hotel.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 11:35 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Stayed here last October. Room was very nice and the lounge was great. Great staff and food. No, it wasn't "central" but the metro is very close. Nice view of the acropolis from the lounge - if the construction crane isn't blocking it....
Old Aug 19, 2016, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by MellieAZ
Stayed here last October. Room was very nice and the lounge was great. Great staff and food. No, it wasn't "central" but the metro is very close. Nice view of the acropolis from the lounge - if the construction crane isn't blocking it....
Yea I elected to stay closer to the action for much cheaper. Granted the hotel I selected is more basic, but I have limited time and don't want to waste it going back and forth. If I was mainly going to be staying in the hotel then the calculation would probably go the other way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.