Hilton Athens {GRC}

Old Jan 8, 2002, 10:53 am

I went to the rhodes hilton and ahd a great time (1 week stay). I also stayed a week at the malta hiton. The flight from athen ato malta was only 150.00 us. The hilton malta is a great resort.
Old Jan 8, 2002, 11:18 am

Super Larry,

There are no other Hilton brands in Athens that I know of. I travel there frequently and was disappointed when the Hilton closed. It is one of a number of hotels in Athens which are closing to revovate for the 2004 Olympics. The Sheraton also closed on 30 November, but as of my last visit both the Ledra Marriott and Athenaeum Intercontinental were still open, and would be good choices.

Congratulations and have a great honeymoon!
Old Jan 8, 2002, 11:59 am

Programs: SPG-Marriott Titanium Elite
DFW DL,

I was wondering why all the brand name hotels in Athens were shutting down...the **** Olympics!!! Should have thaught about it! Do you happen to know if the Novotel is still open?

Keywestbars,

Glad to hear that you had a great time in Rhodes. Not too many threads here taht talks about it..I'll keep my finger crossed!

Thanks!
Old Jan 8, 2002, 4:15 pm

Programs: CO Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold
I stayed at the Athens Hilton in May last year. It was a good hotel, but could use a remodel. On our Athens map, there were two Hiltons. One called Hilton that had a footprint that looked like our hotel, and an Athens Hilton, which looked like a square and actually was our hotel. This confused us the first couple of days.

The Marriott is not within walking distance of downtown, so you will have to take the hotel shuttle or public transport.

We had a great time, but the flights were pretty long. Good Luck!

Tanya
Old Jan 8, 2002, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Super Larry, do yourself a favor and don't spend a week in Athens. Spend a night or 2 there(other than the Acropolis not much to do) and then fly out to Santorini. The absolute best scenery you will ever see, unbelievabe volcano views and black sand beaches. You will not regret it.
Old Jan 9, 2002, 8:39 am

Super,
I am not a great fan of Athens, aleast not for a week, maybe a day or two at the most. If you are in Rhodes, the other greek islands, should be a must see if you can stay at other hotel brands. Santorini, Mykonos are the most popular. Mykonos is a blast, lots to do. You can get around the islands be Ferry (cheap). I like Rhodes, but I love Mykonos.
Old Jan 13, 2002, 1:22 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I agree - a week in Athens proper is waayyy to long. A couple of days does the trick. I was there last year and stayed at the NJV Athens Plaza. I was very impressed with the hotel and its staff.

------------------
Serenity now
Old Jan 13, 2002, 3:43 pm

When I started reading this thread, my first reaction was to say don't spend a week in Athens. Now I'll just add my thoughts along with all the others.

I was there for 4 days, and felt it was about 3 days too long.
Old Jan 14, 2002, 7:12 am

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JJeffrey:
Super Larry, do yourself a favor and don't spend a week in Athens. Spend a night or 2 there(other than the Acropolis not much to do) and then fly out to Santorini. The absolute best scenery you will ever see, unbelievabe volcano views and black sand beaches. You will not regret it. </font>
Ditto - Last year, we flew to Santorini from Rome. We stopped in Athens for 1 day on the home. If you want to spend more time there, make sure you take a day trip to Delphi.
Old May 3, 2002, 6:46 am

Hilton Athens closed for renovations..alternatives?

Hi folks!

I'll be in Athens, Greece for 4 nights from July 22 to 26th. My preferences goes to Hilton, however the only Hilton property in Athens is closed for renovation for the Olympics in 2004.

I've been looking around and found some interesting prices, but I need advice as far as location. I won't have a car, therefore I would like an hotel that would pretty central.

I've gathered that some of the "American Chains" hotels are not to close to the centre of the city. Any recommandations?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Larry!
Old May 3, 2002, 11:05 pm

Location: Cary, NC, USA - AA Plt 3mm/DL Dia 2mm, Hil/Dia Life, Bonvoy/Titanium Life, Spire
My wife and I stayed at the Athens Hilton last May. We walked around behind the Hilton and saw a nice Holiday Inn a block down the street, if you want to stay in the area. Bring comfortable walking shoes and also plan on a lot of stair or step climbing. Athens has short subway routes and you still have to travel a ways on foot everywhere you go. The city didn't seem too handicap-friendly.
Old May 4, 2002, 4:51 pm

Outoftown,

Would that be the one on,

50 Michalacopoulou Ave.?

Thanks!
Larry!
Old May 4, 2002, 8:34 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
stayed at that Holiday Inn two years ago with wife and two year old son. Very satisfied with room, service, cleanliness. Bar with pool at the top is very nice. Not directly located in central part of town but not too far to walk to Syntagma Square and subway stop. Try the Goodies down the block for GOOD fast food Greek style (spaghetti is awesome)
Old May 5, 2002, 11:28 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
My vote goes for the NJV Athens Plaza on the square.
Old Jan 6, 2003, 3:53 pm
prh

Programs: AA Platinum Plus; One World Emerald
Athens Hilton to Airport

How long should it take to get from the Athens Hilton to the Athens Airport at around 4:30 or so in the morning? I ask because I can get a great deal there, but wonder if I'd be better off at the Marriott or Intercontinental in terms of sleep.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.