Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Osaka {JPN}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2004, 8:10 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Excellent reports. Thank you all. I have always wondered about the Hilton Osaka. IMHO. For the area Osaka is a excellent city to find "western" hotels especially if one is trying to visit Kyoto. Osaka has Hilton as noted, Hyatt and Starwood. Probably Marriot also. I know Nagoya has a Marriott. That being said exceptional Kyoto only has the Westin Miyako which is part of Starwood. So when rates are out of this world for Kyoto or you really want points Osaka is a great starter city.

Also IMHO one must visit Kyoto if going into Osaka. You will be disappointed with yourself if you do not forever. Might I suggest. Upon arrival into Kyoto go to the Guest Relations desk of the Hotel Granvia which its atop Kyoto Station. This is a excellent place to make your tour reservations for Kyoto. If you wish to visit the true Imperial Palace in Japan it is here. You will need to make your reservation at least one day in advance if I remember correctly. Take your passport. So make this reservation on your first day and visit it on the second day of your trip. The castle in Kyoto as noted above is exceptional. Home of the Tokugawa. Japanese department stores are excellent for dining. Try the Isetan Department Store also located within Kyoto Station. Take the escalators to the top for many varied dining venues or go to the basement levels for many fresh cooked Japanese foods. Remember later in the after around 6:00 PM the sushi will go to 50% off to clear. Yum. You can change money at Japanese department stores for fair rates, remember your tax back and the Hotel Granvia's Guest Relations desk has internet access for like 500 yen or $5 US. Fair for a country without lots of Kinkos. In the Tower Hotel visit the 100 yen shop like our $ stores for inexpensive souvenirs.

Without western hotels I do not get to talk about my favorite city Kyoto so excuse me for using this as a opportunity. E-mail me with Kyoto questions we have someone special (I really did well on my first visit to Kyoto) to answer almost every question. Regards
Old Jan 28, 2005, 2:41 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mreplus
Hello,

I am pondering a trip out to KIX with my brother this August, and was wondering if the Hilton Osaka was worth staying at.
If you went, how was your trip?

A good restaurant is adjacent to the Hilton Osaka, thread here: http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=309752
Old Mar 15, 2005, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Osaka Hilton report 3/16/2005

Preface: Making the best use of my 7 day JR Green Car pass. Also some walking and shopping in Osaka. Apparently underneath this Hotel is the largest underground shopping center in Japan. Also a day trip from here to Himeji Castle tomorrow.

Rate: 16200 prepaid all in.

Transportation: I came in from Nagoya on the Shinkansen. After you leave the Shinkansen at Shin Osaka go outside the Shinkansen gates but NOT outside the JR area at Shin Osaka. You are looking for tracks 15 or 16. Take the train towards Osaka Station. It will be the next stop. When you exit you can use your JR pass for the local ride you just took. Go outside the gate area and look for the information counter. Facing the information counter you want to start walking left. Keep walking until you go up a small flight of stairs. You should see a huge clock. Keep walking until you get outside and head towards the street. Cross the street and look immediately to your right. That huge silver grey building is your home tonight. The Hilton. Enter the rotunda area and you will see a sign for the Hilton to your right again. Check-in is on the left.

Check-in: I was greeted kindly and informed of my upgrade to the Executive level with a room on 30. The very kind and efficient lady gave me a full size sheet with presentations noted for the Lounge.

Perks: As noted above.

Room: I received a standard room with a decent view. I can see some water in the distance so that works. The room has all the things you would expect in a Japanese hotel. Lots of amenities and a bottle of water. A fresh fruit plate. King size and non-smoke. I did notice when entering the Lounge that 31 and 32 look connected by stairs. Late check-out for Lounge guests is 3:00 PM and Ds get until 5:00 PM. FYI.

Communications: HSIA in the room is 42 yen per minute or 1680 yen for a 24 hour period. Now HSIA in the Lounge is free. If you head towards the back of the Lounge you will see a sofa to your left. The HSIA cable which you can connect also provides free service. There is also a Compaq notebook you can use.

Closing: I just arrived so I will advise anything additional. A very good Hotel so far. Regards from Osaka. Off to the Westin Miyako in Kyoto tomorrow for a daytrip to Nara the following day.
Old Mar 16, 2005, 3:49 am

Programs: NH-PLT/SFC, JL-JMG/JGP, SPG-PLT, HH-DIA, GP-DIA,PC/IC-P/RA,MR-GLD
Hilton Osaka for G member

Hilton Osaka usually gives the upgrade to DX room for G member. I have never been upgraded to the EXE room. But G member can get the access to fitness club and be given complimentary buffet breakfast ticket at the Brasserie Checkers. Also they give G member a fresh fruit plate and a bottle of water.
Old Mar 16, 2005, 12:31 pm

Programs: LH FTL, KL Platinum, AB Gold, BA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt GP Diamond
Hilton Osaka does upgrade G to ExecFloor. (I have had 6 out of 6). However, I was told by Japanes colleagues that this hotel is quite frequently full and then upgrades are difficult to get.
1st stay as Diamond there next month, let's wait and see!
Old Mar 16, 2005, 3:04 pm

Well it is a perfect morning. I arrived at the Lounge when it opened. Took my laptop and used the cable for HSIA. A nice little nook. I have my bowl of rice, grilled salmon, orange/cranberry juice mix, tomago (cooked eggs usually used with sushi and bowl of fresh fruit. Now that is perfect. One of the nicest Lounge spreads I have noted in Japan. Good job.

That underground shopping mall. I take pride is knowing direction. Not a chance. I had to go up to street level to figure out where I was. Fortunately just a little off the mark. I could still see the Hotel. I highly recommend the Hotel. Great. A FYI. I did find the Concierge staff on the Lobby level to have much more knowledge. Of course that should not be a surprise.

Off to my Himejo Castle day trip. The Lobby level Concierge has a excellent brouchure on the trip. Regards from Osaka. Off to Kyoto later today.
Old Mar 16, 2005, 4:40 pm

Upgrades at Osaka Hilton

As a gold, I've been upgraded 7/7 stays at Osaka. Thing is, I had to ask pretty aggressively each time except the last, when the woman at the check in counter remembered us from 2 weeks earlier and had already upgraded us. What I always do is add a note in the comments field that I'm a gold and would appreciate upgrade. When I get there, I wait for it to be offered....always I'm automatically given buffet breakfast coupons instead, at which time I say I'd prefer an upgrade to executive floor if possible. Always, except for the last time we stayed in January, the clerk says "No, I'm sorry, exec floor is sold out." As usual, I have checked myself online just prior to check in, and have seen exec floor rooms available...so I say so. Then, I am upgraded...only after I have let them know that I know there are empty rooms.

That said, the exec lounge is excellent. Great service and friendly staff.
Old Mar 16, 2005, 10:22 pm

From Hilton Osaka to Himeji Castle.

From Osaka Station take track 7 back to Shin Osaka. My Shinkansen train left from track 21 at Shin Osaka. Upon arrival into Himeji follow the signs to the Castle. This means you will be crossing over the local lines. If you have a JR Pass you will show it again at the final exit. Just left of the exit is a information kiosk. To the right you will see the Shinkansen ticket office. You may need this when you get back to the station. It is raining in Osaka/Himeji so I did the express tour. That means fast on my feet. I can tell you for a fact you can walk to the Castle, pay your fee, walk to the top and get back to the station to take a train back within two hours. When you exit look for the main street called- Otemae Street. You can not miss it. Follow the street to the Castle which you can not also miss. The Castle is beautiful and certainly the most beautiful I have ever noted in Japan. The entrance fee is 600 yen. This is your chance to rid yourself of all those coins as there are vending machines which dispense tickets. They do not take the 1 and 5 yen coins. I rid myself of lots of 10s.

Please be prepared. When you enter the Castle you must remove your shoes. You will be carrying them with you. So the key here is not to wear any pants with a long leg cuff. The slope of the stairs you will be climbing are just plain dangerous. Please use caution and common sense. There is nothing wrong with going slow. You will be wearing slippers which they provide which are slick and inexpensive. You are advised. That all being said healthy is also important. I did not see any facilities for handicap persons. Take the same street back to the Station. Regards from Osaka. Off to Kyoto.
Old Mar 16, 2005, 10:29 pm

Also. When I was at Himeji Station waiting for my train back I bought a steamed bun. I thought it would be Chinese tasting but it was Japanese. The bun was in a steam warmer being sold at a kiosk on the track level. It was good. Not just a little good but very good. It was only 110 yen. I was going to buy two but I was trying to be good after my healthy breakfast. All I can say is to find those buns. It along with my box of Minute Maid apple juice made for a nice light lunch. I am going for th chicken karaige (someone correct my spelling on that if I am wrong) sold at the basement level at the Isetan at Kyoto Station. That along with a little sushi is perfect!

BTW. The Hotel was excellent and I would stay again in a minute just for the breakfast buffet in the Lounge.
Old Mar 16, 2005, 11:25 pm

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
Did you get the 1000 yen coupon?

hi

i stayed there 3-4 times. and everytime the hilton was one of the best exp. i had.

in the exec. lounge they have at checkout a 1000 Yen Voucher which is for the next stay.

did you get the free entrence coupons for the skylounge too?

last time i had to ask for that.

dp
Old Mar 17, 2005, 1:18 am

I frankly did not get any coupons which I felt was a little unusual for Japan. Land of hotel coupons. I'll make sure and get them next time. I did see some people at the next table over getting something. That kinda burns me. Just kinda.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
I am going for th chicken karaige (someone correct my spelling on that if I am wrong) sold at the basement level at the Isetan at Kyoto Station. That along with a little sushi is perfect!

BTW. The Hotel was excellent and I would stay again in a minute just for the breakfast buffet in the Lounge.
It is actually 'kara-age' made up of two Chinese characters which according to my Kanji dictionary actually mean 'kara' (the former name for China) and 'age' (to be fried). I wonder how they get fried chicken from this???!

Thanks for the trip reports - I was distinctly underwhelmed by my visit to the Westin Kyoto last year, and am planning to head down that way next month when my sister visits. I think I have been convinced to stay at the Osaka Hilton instead....
Old Mar 17, 2005, 3:40 pm

Well. I am in 100% agreement with you on the Westin. I must more enjoy the Granvia in Kyoto. My usual home in Kyoto.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 6:48 pm

When I stayed at the Hilton Osaka on an award as a Gold I was upgraded to the deluxe room with breakfast buffet (I also received the fruit plate on arrival). I have never seen so much variety on a breakfast buffet. The food was excellent!
Old Mar 17, 2005, 10:22 pm

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
coupon

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
I frankly did not get any coupons which I felt was a little unusual for Japan. Land of hotel coupons. I'll make sure and get them next time. I did see some people at the next table over getting something. That kinda burns me. Just kinda.
hi rtw,

the hotel is very professional. just call the excecutive lounge, and ask them for the 10USD vouchers. if you tell them they might have forgotten to pass it over to you, than they will sent it to you by mail.

i am sure, because i never had a hilton property working that professional!

dp

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.