Go Back   > > >

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 14, 16, 1:31 pm   -   Wikipost
FlyerTalk Forums Thread Wiki: DISCUSSION for Hilton HHonors Hotels in or near Chicago, Illinois, USA {US-IL}
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Kiwi Flyer
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 12, 04, 2:50 pm   #1
Moderator, Hilton HHonors
Original Poster

Programs: up in the air
Arrow DISCUSSION for Hilton HHonors Hotels in or near Chicago, Illinois, USA {US-IL}

Posts older than 2011 for this OPEN THREAD can be found in the

ARCHIVE THREAD for DISCUSSION for Hilton HHonors Hotels in or near Chicago, Illinois, USA

Links to moved posts should still work.

Kiwi Flyer
Hilton HHonors forum moderator

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Dec 31, 16 at 4:11 pm
Kiwi Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 11, 11:54 am   #2
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AA Plat, SPG lifetime Gold, IHG Spire/Ambassador, Hyatt & Diamond, Marriott Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by aglp2k View Post
I am HHonors Gold. Any feedback on these hotels is appreciated. Good/Bad. Location, Restaurants etc.

Hilton Lisle/Naperville
3003 Corporate West Drive
Lisle, Illinois,60532
Just had a stay at the Hilton Lisle.

As a diamond was given a 6th floor club level room, I'm not sure why this level was special as the hotel is an 8 floor hotel, I would have had the club level on the top floor but oh well. On the 6th floor is also a PC & printer to use (free). We were also given a single free drink coupon (from the bar or restaurant Algauers), & two breakfast buffet coupons.

Room was a simple king bed with queen pull out sleeper sofa. When the person in the room next to us would use the water, there was a loud water in pipes sound but overall the room was pretty quiet even though facing the highway (I-88).

The hotel was hosting both a couple young boys hockey teams as well as a wedding. The hotel had posted very prominently that Quiet time was from 11pm until 7am. Very pleased that they did this as the hotel was quiet.

We were attending a birthday party at a bar called Mullens which is less than 1/4 mile away from the hotel. The hotel shuttle will drop one off for free (as well as pickup if before 10:30pm when the shuttle stops running). The shuttle driver gave us a $10 coupon good for a free appitizer, Kobe beef slider burgers were only $2.50 each so Mrs Sweet Willie & I split 4 sliders for free and a cobb salad. Quite a decent meal.

Breakfast buffet in the morning consisted of pancakes, biscuits & gravy, sausage links & bacon, scrambled eggs, egg station where one could get eggs cooked to order, fresh fruit, assorted breads and a couple pastries/muffins.

Parking is free.
Sweet Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 11, 12:30 pm   #3

Programs: HHonors Diamond, WN A-List Preferred & CP, Marriott Gold, Avis First
Stayed in Oakbrook at Hilton Suites for a meeting. Nothing special, but not bad either. I was "upgraded" as Diamond to a Conference Room Suite. Actually quite large and nice to have a large conference table (size of a dining room table) to spread out and work on. The room was nice (somehat on the order of an Embassy Suites, but larger due to the conference room attached to the living room. Across a few parking lots (about 5 min walk) is a J. Alexander's, where I ate the one night that I did not have a business dinner. It was a standard JA's and hard to go wrong with. I did get a coupon for breakfast in the AM, but had early morning meeting each day, so I never used it. The fitness center was small, but acceptable (easy to do cardio with an elliptical or treadmill). The parking was free as well. All in all, my exerience here was good and I would stay here again...

On a side note, I do not understand what Hilton is doing with a Hilton Suites brand. These hotels should really become Embassy Suites and Hilton should remain as their standard business class hotel. I have stayed at Hilton Suites in both Boca Raton and Oakbrook. Both are very Embassy Suites esque. Why not just make them ES? Just my opinion though...
Winecaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 11, 9:16 am   #4
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: HH Gold, BA Bronze, National Rail Gold, IHG Silver, ABP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winecaptain View Post
On a side note, I do not understand what Hilton is doing with a Hilton Suites brand. These hotels should really become Embassy Suites and Hilton should remain as their standard business class hotel. I have stayed at Hilton Suites in both Boca Raton and Oakbrook. Both are very Embassy Suites esque. Why not just make them ES? Just my opinion though...
I assume it's because ES gives free breakfast and happy hour, and they don't want to offer those at the properties.
stifle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 11, 12:39 pm   #5
BCH

What I like about the Hilton Chicago is the sense of old-world grandeur and the reliably professional customer service. I have been there for a number of galas and special events, and they always do a terrific job.

On the other hand, there are parts of the property that need an upgrade. It doesn't seem to fit with the new Hilton palate.

Location-wise, it's actually quite convenient for museums, State Street shopping, Millenium Park, etc. Easily accessible by Red Line, buses, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Wine Geek View Post
The Chicago Hilton isn't in the best location, depending on what you want to do outside the hotel. And the 4 or 5 times I've stayed there as a Diamond I've never gotten good upgrades. Every time I've stayed at The Palmer House I've gotten a very big suite. And I like the location. Just my two cents. The Wit is also very cool with one of the hottest rooftop bars in the city.
BCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 11, 1:13 pm   #6

Programs: Delta GM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG/PCR Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Avis, Hertz
Recent stays at HS Downtown or Hilton Suites?

I found a couple good comments in this thread about the HS Downtown from last March. I'm checking to see if anyone has any recent comments about that property or the Hilton Suites Chicago/Magnificent Mile. I have it narrowed down to those two (by price and location--I've stayed at the Wit and PH Hilton before, and they aren't my choices for this visit).

When I stayed at a Hilton Suites in Michigan last year, the rooms were nice suites; however, the hotel did not have an executive floor. I received full breakfast coupons and liked the room. Is that standard for Hilton Suites--no executive floor, and full breakfast coupons? I have Gold status.

Thanks for any information!
IrisT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 11, 1:37 pm   #7
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM, Hilton DM, Hyatt Diamond
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrisT View Post
I found a couple good comments in this thread about the HS Downtown from last March. I'm checking to see if anyone has any recent comments about that property or the Hilton Suites Chicago/Magnificent Mile. I have it narrowed down to those two (by price and location--I've stayed at the Wit and PH Hilton before, and they aren't my choices for this visit).

When I stayed at a Hilton Suites in Michigan last year, the rooms were nice suites; however, the hotel did not have an executive floor. I received full breakfast coupons and liked the room. Is that standard for Hilton Suites--no executive floor, and full breakfast coupons? I have Gold status.

Thanks for any information!
There are times I would rather have full breakfast coupons than the continental breakfast in the lounge. As a gold I wouldn't chose a property on if they had an exec floor, unless you are planning on resererving a room on that floor, since you won't have lounge access if they can't upgrade you to the exec level.
jamesteroh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 11, 6:40 am   #8

Programs: Delta GM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG/PCR Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Avis, Hertz
Chicago Midway / MDW Hilton hotels

I'm looking for feedback from anyone who has stayed at the MDW HGI or Hilton (Oak Lawn).

The Hilton looks preferable to me except that it's a little farther away from the airport. It says they offer scheduled shuttle service to/from the airport; however, sometimes when I've stayed at airport hotels that are not real close I end up waiting a long time for the shuttle bus. I'm trying to decide if the bit longer ride is worth choosing the Hilton over the HGI located in the Hotel Center Campus.

Thanks for any insight!
Old Mar 5, 11, 11:23 am   #9
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL PLT, Kimpton IC, HY DIA but in exile
Never stayed at either but be aware that the Oak Lawn one is a pretty far distance - almost 5 miles from the airport. It's also at least 25 and probably more than 30 years old, back from the era when round hotels were considered stylish.

I'd stick with the HGI.
ElmhurstNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 11, 6:18 pm   #10
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I stayed once at a Hampton which I seem to recall being walking distance (though not the most pleasant walk in the world) of the airport. (This was when I once lost my drivers license on the plane while flying in, and had to stay overnight and then fly back in the morning, because I couldn't rent the car I'd planned for the trip without the drivers license.) I recall the eating out choices around the hotel being extremely minimal (nothing but a Burker King and maybe one other fast food joint).

I don't know if this Hampton is still there or not, but if so it would be the closest but make sure you eat before you go there in the evening!

And that begs the question of whether the HGI has anything around it?
sdsearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 11, 11:08 pm   #11

Programs: WN A w/CP, Hilton Gold
There is a hotel campus just south of the airport on Cicero that has both the Hampton and the HGI. I have stayed at both, and they are typical for the brand. I prefer the HGI as it has the nice cafe and is a bit newer. They are usually very close to the same price. The campus also has other brands including a Courtyard and a Holiday Inn Express plus others. There are also restaurants including TGI Fridays. They use a shared shuttle bus that goes to each hotel for pickup and drop offs. I think that I remember that the shuttles arrive on a 15 minute schedule. The campus atmosphere feels a bit safer than the surrounding neighborhood would indicate. Both the HGI and Hampton charge $10 for self park. If not eating within the campus, I would recommend against walking, even though there are fast food options close. If you have a car and do drive through, it is not so bad.

The Hilton is also on Cicero and as stated about 5 miles south, but it is a quick drive most of the time if you have a rental car to drop. If it is snowy or a busy time of day allow 30 minutes. If there is an accident or lane closures, well, who knows. I have read on a thread here that this Hilton has been refurbished and I actually quite nice, but I have not had an opportunity to try it.
InkUnderNails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 11, 7:01 am   #12

Thank you

Thank you for all the feedback. I appreciate it. Right now, I have a reservation at the HGI and the Hilton, but think I will cancel the Hilton. I stayed in the hotel campus a few years ago (different property), but I wasn't familiar with the Hilton location.
Old Mar 31, 11, 8:46 am   #13

Drake vs Conrad

We are looking at going to Chicago for 4th of July weekend. We will use points and have come down to choice between Conrad and Drake. I am Diamond. Which would be a better match for our needs?

Breakfast is important as are snacks and drinks in exec lounge. As we will probably be busy enjoying Chicago, the snacks and drinks are probably not as important as in past. We want to be close to public transportation so we can go to Hyde Park and Wrigley Field. We plan to spend rest of time from Oak Street to the Loop and Navy Pier for Taste of Chicago and fireworks. All advice appreciated.

By the way, is the piano bar at Acorn on Oak still in existence? My wife has never been to Chicago and I have not been back in 31 years since I graduated. I would like to show my wife the best of Chicago.

thanks,

Marc
Marq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 11, 10:42 am   #14
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM, Hilton DM, Hyatt Diamond
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marq View Post
We are looking at going to Chicago for 4th of July weekend. We will use points and have come down to choice between Conrad and Drake. I am Diamond. Which would be a better match for our needs?

Breakfast is important as are snacks and drinks in exec lounge. As we will probably be busy enjoying Chicago, the snacks and drinks are probably not as important as in past. We want to be close to public transportation so we can go to Hyde Park and Wrigley Field. We plan to spend rest of time from Oak Street to the Loop and Navy Pier for Taste of Chicago and fireworks. All advice appreciated.

By the way, is the piano bar at Acorn on Oak still in existence? My wife has never been to Chicago and I have not been back in 31 years since I graduated. I would like to show my wife the best of Chicago.

thanks,

Marc
If you want an Exec. Lounge the conrad doesn't have one and I was disappointed in the breakfast. There is a thread in the hilton forum and someone just commented on it as recently as yesterday with reviews of the conrad. I was also disappointed in the breakfast there. It's a voucher for a contential breakfast and you can use it as a certain $ amount towards anything on the menu but it wasn't for very much and the food was good but very overpriced. It is convenient to public transit though. Just walk to the grand red line stop and get off at addison for wrigely field and for navy pier it's a direct shot down grand street that you can easilly walk. I would say it's 3/4 to 1 mile from the conrad or you could just grab a bus on grand if you buy a CTA visitors pass and there is shuttle/trolley service as well to navy pier but not sure if that area would be on the routes or not. You can also easilly walk to grant park for taste of chicago. I was personally disappointed in my experience at the conrad. It is a nice hotel but I had a great January rate and would never pay what they normally charge. If you are looking for a good breakfast or an EL avoid this property. If you stay there I would recomend going for the bonus points for your my way and just eating in the loop. Lots of places to eat at in the area and I didn't find anything special about the supposedly upgraded room I got.

I have never stayed at the drake but I know they used to have an EL and friends of mine that have stayed there before like it, and at that time they had an honors bars in their lounge. HOWEVER, they were upgraded to the exec level and I had other friends that stayed there as diamonds and the Exec level was not available as an upgrade and they got a breakfast voucher. At that time, even though the HH T&C say diamonds are to get lounge access, they weren't giving it to them unless they were on that level, so I would call the property and see if that is still the case since getting an upgrade to that level could be hard that weekend. And I don't like the location and that is why I have never stayed there. If you are going to use public transit you will probably need to rely on the bus since there aren't any L stops really close.

A couple suggestions you might want to check out.

1. The palmer house may be a good choice. It's an older hotel but has been renovated and I have good luck as a diamond with upgrades. If I can't get on the 23rd floor they always give me a large room. They also have a dedicated desk for diamonds and the exec floors during certain times. They will always give diamonds lounge access. The main complaint I have with that property is the breakfast. When I stay there on weekends the lounge is always full for families and it can be hard to find a seat during breakfast and I don't think it's anything great and a lot of times will just eat at corner bakery. The food spread at nighttime is nice and it's self service for soda and they have several infused waters out during the day but you do have to request bottled water (still free). If you are looking for a nice fitness center, this has to be the best hotel fitness center I have ever used. And the location would be great for you. You could grab a shuttle to navy pier (or walk it if you are up for a good walk), grant park for Taste of chicago is a short walk and the Red line is right in front of the hotel for wrigley field. And every line except for the blue line is also beside the hotel and the blue line is only a few minute walk so that means no switching trains if you are flying.

2. The Wit is my favorite. No exec lounge though, but the breakfast is GREAT. They give you vouchers but they cover almost anything on the menu and food is really good. It's a newer hotel and I really like it. It's also beside all the state and lake L stops and the fitness center is small but it is open 24/7 and it's a newer hotel. I have never stayed there in the summer, but I have seen lines out the door for the roof bar and am told guests get priority access to the bar. If you are travelling with kids, you might not like it as much, but if it's just a couple it's a hotel I really recomend.
jamesteroh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 11, 7:32 pm   #15

Best place in Chicago to burn a free night cert?

I have a free night cert from last year that's going to expire in a few weeks, so I was thinking of taking a trip into Chicago in a few weesk for a few nights out on the town

What's the best place to use this? Where are my best chances of getting upgraded? Which hotels have exec lounges? Good breakfasts?

(I tried to do a search but didn't really find anything. If this has been done before, just feel free to point me in the right direction. Thanks!)
hoosierg35 is offline   Reply With Quote