Go Back   > > >

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 9, 16, 1:01 pm   -   Wikipost
FlyerTalk Forums Thread Wiki: DISCUSSION for Hilton HHonors Hotels in or near Chicago, Illinois, USA {US-IL}
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Kiwi Flyer
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 12, 04, 1:50 pm   #1
Moderator, Hilton HHonors
Original Poster

Programs: up in the air
Arrow DISCUSSION for Hilton HHonors Hotels in or near Chicago, Illinois, USA {US-IL}

Posts older than 2010 for this OPEN THREAD can be found in the

ARCHIVE THREAD for DISCUSSION for Hilton HHonors Hotels in or near Chicago, Illinois, USA

Links to moved posts should still work.

Kiwi Flyer
Hilton HHonors forum moderator

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jan 19, 16 at 12:35 am
Kiwi Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 10, 9:29 am   #2

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, MR LT Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, GP Diamond, AGR Select Exec
I'll be going to Chicago in January and, though I usually like to stay at the Renaissance, I'll probably go with a Hilton since their rates are great with the current January Sale.

For the weekend that I'm looking at, the rate at the Drake is $98/nt and the Hilton Suites is $103/nt. This thread has some great information, but can anyone offer a more recent comparison?

It'd just be my wife and I, and my priorities are:
  • Breakfast (I know that this would be included in the rate at either property, but I'm curious if one breakfast is superior to the other)
  • Executive Lounge access (Is the lounge in either of these properties open on the weekend?)
  • View / Room Quality

I know that the locations are virtually identical and so is the cost, but I'm wondering if there are any other factors I should be aware of. My first inclination is to book The Drake, based on the info here - but if anyone has any other information, I'd be glad to hear it.
River in Sight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 10, 12:19 pm   #3

There last week

I was in Chicago last weekend. With the 25% off with VISA rates, our rate at the Hilton Suites was $74 versus $126 for the Drake so it was a no brainer as to which we would choose. As a HHonors Gold, the Drake nevers gives me Exec lounge access. I always get the breakfast coupons there. Plus, there are no in-room beverage amenities. If you or your spouse requires an immediate caffeine infusion upon waking that can be expensive at the Drake if you don't have lounge access. I prefer the decor and 'feel' of the Drake in general, but you can satisfy that by popping in for afternoon tea! Also as Gold I usually get a little bit of a view at the Drake.

The Hilton Suites has a lot going for it. It doesn't have the charm factor, but it does have a View advantage. Lots of high rooms with city or lake views. Big windowed walls in the living room and bedroom let you easily see the sights. The Fitness center & Pool are on the top floor. It's a pretty standard hotel decor. The rooms are suites with 2 rooms, each with its own tv. There is a sink/bar area in the living room along with a microwave and fridge. So, if you are planning to stay a few days and want the luxury to spread out a bit and bring food back to your room then Hilton Suites is a good fit.

Breakfast-wise, to compare the 'free' breakfast (doesn't include tip) you get with the coupons, it is pretty close. Although, I think the Hilton Suites might have had a slight edge this trip since their fruit was fresher and more flavorfull. If you are comparing the FULL breakfast, then the Drake wins for me.

Hope this helps a bit. Also, there is $26 per day parking a block farther along on Delaware place which is half the rate for the official parking at the Drake and HT and is convenient to both. It's underground. My car was warm (50 degrees) when I picked it up which was about 40 degrees warmer than the air that day.
ronamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 10, 3:31 pm   #4

Programs: *wood plt,mrt plt, aa ex plt
Best chicago property

Which Property in Chicago would have

1. Nicest Room
2. Best Concierge Lounge with Freebees(food and alcohol)
3. Good Karma

I read various information about The Drake and The Palmer House.
Has anyone stayed at these Properties recently?
rockdocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 10, 3:39 pm   #5

Conrad Chicago
Smart Shopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 10, 3:56 pm   #6

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, MR LT Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, GP Diamond, AGR Select Exec
rockdocs, you might be interested in this thread which compares two of the properties; it was just bumped (by me) earlier this week:

Drake or newly renovated Hilton Suites in Chicago

Most of the properties also have their own threads.
River in Sight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 10, 5:09 pm   #7

Programs: Various airline, hotel and credit card programs
I was always treated extremely well at the Palmer House.

The locations is great as well.
Vaclav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 10, 5:31 pm   #8

Programs: Promus Preferred, ITT Sheraton Club
Check out the The Wit by DoubleTree. Very young and hip vibe.

Last edited by Minneapolis; Jan 6, 10 at 5:36 pm Reason: Removed blatent ageism.
Minneapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 10, 5:52 pm   #9

Programs: Amtrak S+, HH Gold, Nat'l Exec, Former AA EXP
I second The Conrad. Gorgeous rooms and true luxury service.

theWit is fun, kind of "W-ish", but beware: the rooms are pretty small. AWESOME roof bar though.
nickflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 10, 10:05 pm   #10

Programs: UA GL*G (0.65 BIS MM), AA EXP, Wyndham Gold, Marriott Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickflies View Post
I second The Conrad. Gorgeous rooms and true luxury service.
But there is no lounge at Conrad, plus unless one is diamond, don't expect any real upgrade.

The voucher for cont.breakfast only gives you some pastries or $12 off the menus.
ORDnHKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 10, 11:45 pm   #11

Programs: Amtrak S+, HH Gold, Nat'l Exec, Former AA EXP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG View Post
But there is no lounge at Conrad, plus unless one is diamond, don't expect any real upgrade.

The voucher for cont.breakfast only gives you some pastries or $12 off the menus.
Right, but I do think it's worth it for the general atmosphere/service and condition of the rooms vs. Palmer House, Drake, Hilton, etc...
nickflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 10, 2:39 pm   #12

Programs: DL Gold, HH Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHOU View Post
Your gal will be impressed with the bath, bedding, robes, amenities, flat screen, Bose sound system, multiple HBO channels in HD, and expecially the location. Connected to Nordstrom's and the North Bridge Mall via which you an access Mich. Ave. shops. Lot's of great resturants within walking.
This is why I love the Conrad Chicago. I like the hotel bar, Rendez-Vous. And of course The Bar at the Peninsula is my fave.....yes, lots of great choices within walking distance. I really like the Acca Kappa bath products.
BaliParis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 10, 8:56 am   #13

Programs: HH Dia, HGVC
Breakfast @ Conrad

Diamonds get a GREAT breakfast at Conrad...it's not just pastries!

You are entitled to the "HHonors Breakfast" in their restaurant...which is a beautiful hoity toity room.

Comes with yogurt, oatmeal, eggs, juice, coffee...service is excellent.

Go with Conrad.
Socko33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 10, 6:52 pm   #14

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors
Best Hilton in Chicago?

I'm looking for a luxury property in Chicago where I'll be likely to get upgraded (as a Gold) from mid-level room/suite to a really high-end room/suite. Any thoughts? Possible?
jdproctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 10, 6:59 pm   #15

Programs: SPG Plat, HHonors Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Varying Levels w/ UA /LH /DL /SQ /TG /AA /QF
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdproctor View Post
I'm looking for a luxury property in Chicago where I'll be likely to get upgraded (as a Gold) from mid-level room/suite to a really high-end room/suite. Any thoughts? Possible?
Try the Drake.
TravelinWilly is offline   Reply With Quote