Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2021, 11:09 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
The WiFi here is getting pretty silly. We did a little test today in two locations. Our cabana, and our room/balcony. In both cases, moving as little as 4 feet could mean a steady 2 bar wifi signal, or a very rare and hard to get, one bar connection. Very frustrating.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 12:42 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by BlueZebra
The WiFi here is getting pretty silly. We did a little test today in two locations. Our cabana, and our room/balcony. In both cases, moving as little as 4 feet could mean a steady 2 bar wifi signal, or a very rare and hard to get, one bar connection. Very frustrating.
It's 2021.
It's not 1995.
Every hotel (especially a "luxury" one or one not located within 5G networks) should have reliable, uninterrupted and fast WiFi. And it should be free of extra charge.
BlueZebra and Beachchaser like this.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 1:54 pm

Day 6...the cabana issues...

Our dermatologist has guilted ( and "procedured") us into becoming cabana fans. So, having cabanas at beaches and pools is important to us.

Pre Covid, GW started a project to replace their heavily weathered previous generation of cabanas. The project is mostly done now. Our first impressions of the new cabanas, prior to actually using one,, was not great, but after a couple days in cabanas we are more favorably inclined. They do change the site lines around the pool areas significantly, sometimes to the good, but frequently not.

The major issue here is cost. GW has always tried to run up cabana prices...typically double, during peak times. Now they have decided the Hibiscus (adult) Pool cabanas are worth almost 2.5 times the price for cabanas at the activity pool, during Covid, and not during peak holiday seasons. That is crazy.

DW is really to drop GW entirely, between the handling of the Omotenashi Lounge issue and the cabana prices ( to be fair, also some other issues not related to GW at all), which like so many other things at GW are going up rapidly. I am on the fence...but I can't come here by myself!
Old Oct 12, 2021, 2:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Yeah, I asked my MOHS surgeon if renting a cabana could be considered a medical expense and he just laughed.

Since we don't know when we'd want one, would you say many are available on a that-day basis?

We had one with a tv and fan and it was quite nice (a few years ago), but we'll be a party of 6 this time. Have you had the umbrella set up on the beach? Wondering what shade they provide.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Yeah, I asked my MOHS surgeon if renting a cabana could be considered a medical expense and he just laughed.

Since we don't know when we'd want one, would you say many are available on a that-day basis?

We had one with a tv and fan and it was quite nice (a few years ago), but we'll be a party of 6 this time. Have you had the umbrella set up on the beach? Wondering what shade they provide.
Been checking every day. The first day we were the ONLY rental at the Hibiscus Pool. 3 or 4 at the Activity Pool. Thus far today there are 3 booked at Hibiscus....about average over the last couple of days. On Sunday about half the Activity Pool cabanas were rented...but haven't surveyed there today.

We have not done the beach umbrella set up. We usually walk down from Hibiscus and swim once or twice each day.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by BlueZebra
Been checking every day. The first day we were the ONLY rental at the Hibiscus Pool. 3 or 4 at the Activity Pool. Thus far today there are 3 booked at Hibiscus....about average over the last couple of days. On Sunday about half the Activity Pool cabanas were rented...but haven't surveyed there today.

We have not done the beach umbrella set up. We usually walk down from Hibiscus and swim once or twice each day.
Ridiculous that they don't lower the prices when they are not selling. Like being in Vegas and walking past all the empty $100 BJ tables, they'd all be full if they were $10.
BlueZebra and Beachchaser like this.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 3:23 pm

I looked back through the recent discussions, but couldn't find what I was looking for. . Someone had asked about the water elevator. Still closed as of today. Due to Covid.

Last edited by BlueZebra; Oct 12, 2021 at 3:42 pm
Old Oct 21, 2021, 3:02 am

After day 5 of my 7 day stay here are my observations so far. Beach: absolutely beautiful with complimentary chairs and umbrella, they start setting up at 7am but don't get there too late as capacity is limited but thins out typically by mid day, also i have seen a few turtles swimming by the shore line which is exciting but people don't seem to be aware of giving these beautiful creatures proper space. Pools: they look fun and inviting but we haven't used them despite getting wrist bands day 2 of our trip. Room: booked on 2 fnc and 380k points for a base room, I was upgraded to ocean view but its mostly a peek of the ocean imho. Food and beverage: Aloha trick pony is pretty solid for lunch, bistro molokini was ok , i had the rack of lamb which was good but side dishes overall didn't jive, alcohol is crazy expensive as cocktails are $18 ish all in but you are in paradise and the hibiscus margaritas are strong and tasty. Staff: outside of hyatt ziva cancun this is probably the most the staff has made me feel like family. Whether its the batista at cafe kula, the bartenders by the pool, the front desk, the valet, the bell hop or taco truck they all seem happy to be there and help if necessary. Location: very convenient, lots of restaurants and things to do within a 15 to 30 min drive. In closing as long as you know on site food and beverage is ultra expensive, the rooms are dated and are respectful you will have a great time.
Also starting 10/19 the $50 daily food and beverage credit must be used daily rather than receiving a lump sum cumulative credit at the conclusion of your stay.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.

Last edited by Beachchaser; Oct 21, 2021 at 3:15 am
Old Oct 21, 2021, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by Beachchaser
Also starting 10/19 the $50 daily food and beverage credit must be used daily rather than receiving a lump sum cumulative credit at the conclusion of your stay.
Big bummer since we are flying in 11/13, but very useful to know. Thank you.
Old Oct 21, 2021, 11:42 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
From the movie Airplane: "Golly"
Old Oct 21, 2021, 12:25 pm

We just got back from 5 nights and I can echo much of what Beachchaser said.

It was not very crowded at all, we had an 11 and 13 yo with us (grandkids) and they and their parents used the pool and beach I'd say practically 24/7 (well, from open to close We also had a quiet, more private pool over at the Ho'Olei villas where we stayed (spectacular, could not have asked for better accommodations). They also went snorkeling at Makena and SUP-ing and said the water everywhere was crystal clear (they also saw tons of sea turtles and many, many gorgeous fish). Kids loved all the slides and I could just float round and round on the lazy river all day (and did).

We spent more money on site eating than I would have liked but everyone was happy just to eat and drink by the pools. Taco truck was surprisingly delicious - loved the carnitas tacos, others got fish and liked them, too. So we had no trouble hitting our $50 per day, didn't matter if it was all at once or not. We had breakfast twice at Humu (first and last mornings, just a nice bookend), and dinner once at Bistro Molokini and the food was fine, nothing special. Convenient as it was the first night and no one wanted to go food shopping yet (bought most food at Island Gourmet Market next door at the shops at Wailea).

Off site eating was we took turns date nighting at the Restaurant at Hotel Wailea, excellent for both couples. The night we had the grands we went to Mulligans on the Blue - don't. Terrible food and service and weird music (not Irish, we couldn't tell what she was singing half the time, some hippie chick). It was close to where we dropped the parents off for their date night but that's all it had going for it.

Since we had a huge kitchen ate many meals and snacks at home, too. Didn't actually "cook" (except grilled burgers and dogs once on the huge on the patio grill) and maybe would have liked to try the high end appliances (Wolf oven, Sub Zero fridge (well, we used the fridge), Bosch dishwasher (takes a LONG time). Everything, and I mean everything, super high end at Ho'Olei. We stayed on points and have no regrets blowing 1.5 mllion of them on it for 5 nights. Would do it again in a heartbeat. It was a quick walk over to the GW or we could valet for free (which we also did quite a bit). They used to have shuttle service but that was stopped during Covid. You "could" have the valets run you back and forth if you wanted to wait until they were available, but why? Easy enough just to bring our own car door to door.

We stayed at the GW before just in a regular room and knew the grands would love the pools and choosing the Ho'Olei was the best decision ever.
avnmgr likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2021, 2:32 pm

Beach umbrellas are somewhat shaded but ultimately you get some sun throughout the day most of the days
Old Oct 21, 2021, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by Jewelgirl04
Big bummer since we are flying in 11/13, but very useful to know. Thank you.
a couple beers and an appetizer at bistro molokini will wipe out the $50.
Old Oct 21, 2021, 2:46 pm

Beach umbrellas are somewhat shaded but ultimately you get some sun throughout the day most of the days
We did get the umbrellas at the beach and they did the trick, also the chairs at the pool - we knew where to sit for most sun protection.

I did NOT like the looks of the "new" cabanas at all - with the dark louvered wood. They seemed very dark and claustrophobic so I didn't even inquire about pricing. A few years ago when we rented a cabana they had the curtains on 4 corners so you could open/shut them as the sun moved, much more practical and bright inside. I would say 90% or more of the cabanas were empty each day during our stay.
Old Oct 21, 2021, 6:42 pm

We did get the umbrellas at the beach and they did the trick, also the chairs at the pool - we knew where to sit for most sun protection.

I did NOT like the looks of the "new" cabanas at all - with the dark louvered wood. They seemed very dark and claustrophobic so I didn't even inquire about pricing. A few years ago when we rented a cabana they had the curtains on 4 corners so you could open/shut them as the sun moved, much more practical and bright inside. I would say 90% or more of the cabanas were empty each day during our stay.
Good thing you didn't ask the cabana prices. You would have been carted away on a gurney.
Beachchaser likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.