Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Old Jan 19, 2020, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
I love GW/Maui and I love Costco but I do my food shopping near the GW. It’s expensive and I prefer to just enjoy the GW. I save money with Costco at home.

plus there really are so many lovely eateries near GW.

Plus no kitchen at GW so I can’t even get much grocery stuff...
BlueZebra likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 11:19 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, etc
Originally Posted by iahphx
Gasbuddy right now is showing Costco at $3.01, Safeway at $3.11 and Maui Oil at $3.13
Wow that's lower than SoCal...
Old Jan 23, 2020, 2:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, UA 1K, Alaska MVP, Caesars Diamond, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by iahphx
Parking is problematic. If you're only going to be at the G-W for a few days, I would probably NOT get a car. The high gotcha parking fee tips the scale against it. Between the Shops at Wailea (especially the Island Gourmet Market) and cherry-picking the limited affordable food a the W-A, you'll save money NOT having a car. But if you're staying awhile, and want to use the hotel as a base to explore the island, you'll want a car and you can enjoy the additional affordable food options in nearby Kihei and elsewhere.

In the Andaz Maui thread, I did post how it's possible to get free parking in Wailea. But it's not that easy, and the rules are murky. Perhaps the biggest problem is that the free parking in Wailea is at either end of the Wailea hotel "strip." The W-A is in the middle of the strip, so the furthest from the potential free parking. This makes it almost a 20 minute walk. Not good.
We usually uber from the airport and just do day rentals if we're venturing out. Had a rate last year that included parking, and I think we took the car out exactly once - we pretty much just rented a car because it would be free to park it.
wally5505 likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by Yoksel
Wow that's lower than SoCal...
I was going to say the exact same thing. This stupid state is killing me.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 10:58 pm

Data point on recent stay using 2 free weekend night certificates: This was our 5th stay at the property in the past several years. The first was 2 nights paid at discount group rate (upgrade to garden view room), the next was a 2 night points stay (upgrade to ocean view), 1 night point plus cash (upgrade to Napua tower), 2 night free weekend certificates (upgrade to deluxe ocean view).

For this most recent stay I attempted to check in via app- at that time reservation was still showing Terrace view room. The app said there were no rooms available to select at the time and to try again later. Several hours later I checked the Hilton app again and reservation was now showing "Deluxe Ocean View Suite". I completed the online check in and was not counting on getting that particular room type when we arrived at the hotel. Upon check in the front desk agent said "I see you did online check in to our Deluxe Ocean View Suite". She explained where the room was located. It was indeed a nice room- almost 2000 square feet with wonderful views and 3 balconies. The furnishings appeared newer. There was a bar and a full size refrigerator stocked with bottled still and sparkling water.

Upon check out we mentioned to the (different) front desk agent that we may have been "ruined" for future stays. We inquired how exactly we were put in that particular room. He said that when the property is sold out, as it apparently had been-( funny, as didn't seem crowded or busy at all) that they try to upgrade Diamond members. The courtesy room we were assigned several hours after check out to shower in was also a large suite- this time just around the corner from the front desk. Very nice as well, though with less spectacular views. We were there just 30 minutes.

Overall, we had a great time at the property. We upgraded to the full buffet both mornings ($19) and it was very good. Did notice there were more offerings on Sunday morning than on Monday. We inquired about "specials" at the spa and took advantage of the "Sunset Special" $145 massage or facial between 4-6 pm. The resort was very clean. No problem getting pool or beach chairs and we did not seek these especially early in the day- usually after 11 am. The pools were all very warm and pleasant.

A few things to note: Suites do not give you access to Napua lounge. Turn down service is not done anymore. Perhaps you could request this. No slippers. Robes seem thinner and no Grand Walilea emblem. Toiletries were not replenished. We had one set of larger sized toiletries left in the shower after first night and no new toiletries were provided. The gentleman checking in ahead of us was informed by the front desk agent about a $3 daily housekeeping gratuity and $10 porterage charge that would be added to his folio. We did not have these charges on our certificate stay. (We did tip the housekeeper the old fashioned way with cash and a note left on the bed). On the way back to the airport, our Uber driver told us that his firm (solar energy panels) is in the process of doing a bid for a huge whole scale renovation the property will be undergoing in the next year or two. He mentioned it is a major rehaul.

Hope this info is helpful to others planning a trip there. We hope to return again soon.

Last edited by Redeemed; Jan 31, 2020 at 2:16 pm Reason: typo
Old Jan 31, 2020, 2:44 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond
I am trying to understand that concept of upgrading specifically when sold out. I assume it is to free up whatever room types will sell the easiest? In other words, certain room types were sold out, so they bump up the diamond members in order to free up more of specific room type. Am I looking at that wrong? I think airlines do something similar, but I fly a lot less than some of the experts on here. :-)
Old Jan 31, 2020, 7:28 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by wally5505
I am trying to understand that concept of upgrading specifically when sold out. I assume it is to free up whatever room types will sell the easiest? In other words, certain room types were sold out, so they bump up the diamond members in order to free up more of specific room type. Am I looking at that wrong? I think airlines do something similar, but I fly a lot less than some of the experts on here. :-)
I imagine the hotel oversells base level rooms in the expectation that some guests will cancel at last minute or otherwise no-show. When they miscalculate, however, they upgrade elite members to better rooms to free up some base rooms.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 12:49 am

Staying here towards the end of next month. We are Diamond and have the offer to request an upgrade via our points booking for $60/night for a King Ocean View. While we value an ocean view, we are a bit confused as this is a request, not a guarantee, but if that room type is open upon our check-in, aren't we entitled as Diamonds to get it for free?

We were thinking that potentially if we pay for this upgrade we can get Napua tower, but at the EOD, we are using the resort as a home base to see the rest of the island and aren't planning to spend much time at GW itself...not sure Napua tower is necessary really for our needs.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 5:49 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
"Entitled" to it? Probably not the best choice of words. If that happens to be available on day of check in, you might get it. But you are going in peak season. Definitely might not be available.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by BlueZebra
"Entitled" to it? Probably not the best choice of words. If that happens to be available on day of check in, you might get it. But you are going in peak season. Definitely might not be available.
That's my point - doing the eUpgrade is for "space available" on the day of arrival - as a Diamond, you are supposed to be upgraded to at least one room higher on day of arrival if space is available.

So, why pay the $60/night if it's not a confirmed upgrade at the time of payment? It also sounds like those who don't get upgraded are offered a $50/night upgrade to an ocean view here quite commonly...

Last edited by kthpence; Feb 1, 2020 at 10:49 am
Old Feb 1, 2020, 11:35 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by kthpence
That's my point - doing the eUpgrade is for "space available" on the day of arrival - as a Diamond, you are supposed to be upgraded to at least one room higher on day of arrival if space is available.

So, why pay the $60/night if it's not a confirmed upgrade at the time of payment? It also sounds like those who don't get upgraded are offered a $50/night upgrade to an ocean view here quite commonly...
This is a common tactic Hilton uses on many of their locations. They are trying to see if you really want that upgrade...they can entice you into paying for it. Keep in mind, you probably won't be the only Diamond staying at that time...you could easily be competing with other Diamonds who fell they deserve the upgrade.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by BlueZebra
This is a common tactic Hilton uses on many of their locations. They are trying to see if you really want that upgrade...they can entice you into paying for it. Keep in mind, you probably won't be the only Diamond staying at that time...you could easily be competing with other Diamonds who fell they deserve the upgrade.
I think we're ok taking the risk / won't be too peeved without an ocean view ... we go to Maui often and are really using the GW as a home base to explore the island. Also, I don't agree that late February is "peak-season" ... it's usually fairly quiet in late-February on Maui.

Last edited by kthpence; Feb 1, 2020 at 7:12 pm
Old Feb 2, 2020, 6:04 am

Programs: Aeromexico Platinum and AA Exec Platinum
We are currently at the GW on a 5 nights points stay. This thread was helpful in my planning so wanted to pay it forward with my experience.

I checked in on the app and saw I had been upgraded from a terrace room to a king oceanview. The suggested room was 5120 but I noticed it was adjoining. That room was in the left wing (shopping side) about 3 rooms from the ocean. I started searching for room options and found a king in a similar location, not adjoining on another floor and took that.

Checkin was easy and we were give the room I had picked around 1:30pm. The room is clearly in need of a remodel but everything is clean and the service has been good. No way I would pay $700 a night for GW if I could book Four Seasons.

We’ve upgraded breakfast both days for $19 but the buffet is not that exciting and so far as been identical both days. We might try some other breakfast spots.

We have enjoyed the walking path that runs behind the hotel and watching the whales from there. We have not used the pool or beach. The gym has recently been remodeled and is very nice.

I bought a massage promo at the Four Seasons spa that was amazing. Haven’t tried GW Spa.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 8:24 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by betonic
The room is clearly in need of a remodel but everything is clean and the service has been good.
The rooms have been refurbished within the past three years, so I'm curious about the faults you observed.

That said, I'd argue that the entire place falls short of Waldorf Astoria standards. While nice, the resort is simply too large, crowded, and family-centric to be truly luxurious. Perhaps Curio would be a better brand?
Old Feb 2, 2020, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
I agree that $700/night isn’t cheap but we really love the GW pool structure - it’s just too fun as part of our OGG vacation. We stay elsewhere for the first part of OGG and then GW for final 4 nights. If not for the pool, I would definitely try out any of the other luxury hotels nearby because they’re all gorgeous.

i always tip housekeeping $10/day cash because I appreciate their service. Is there really now a daily $3 housekeeping gratuity fee? If so, then of course I’m happy to swap the cash tip for this, or I can imagine giving a $5 instead. It’s a tiny difference but of course I’ll take it. I didn’t see this in our April 2019 stay.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.