Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Embassy Suites Nightly Manager's Reception

Old Jun 11, 2006, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Can someone describe to me exactly what goes on during this time.

Do they serve any food?

I am staying there for the first time and this is one of their features.
Old Jun 11, 2006, 5:36 pm

Programs: ua mileage+, hertz gold, hhonors diamond *wood gold
They serve complimentary beer/wine and in a few I think they have some mixed drinks. There is food but it's very basic/low end. Chips and salsa, popcorn, that kind of thing.
Old Jun 11, 2006, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beachfamily
They serve complimentary beer/wine and in a few I think they have some mixed drinks. There is food but it's very basic/low end. Chips and salsa, popcorn, that kind of thing.
Well it looks like my per diem is going to take a hit then. Thanks, I was hoping to pocket the per diem if they were going serve some real food.
Old Jun 11, 2006, 5:40 pm

They have always had mixed drinks at the ones I have stayed at - Denver, Co Springs, and the one by LAX..And the last time they had some celery and carrots in addition to the low-end crap mentioned above.
Old Jun 11, 2006, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
The Managers Reception is usually about 2 hours long. They serve drinks from a bar. Typically its inexpensive wine with one variety of red and one of white. Also a draft beer or two, usually one light beer and one ordinary domestic beer. Also theyll serve mixed drinks with mid to low grade spirits.

For food, the most common items are a snack mix with crackers, pretzels and nuts, tortilla chips with melted cheese spread (think hot cheese whiz ugh!), and plain pretzels. Occasionally youll find vegetables with some kind of ranch dressing as a dip. When you see veggies get them soon because they tend to be consumed quickly and infrequently replaced.

Generally if you go in with low to middling expectations you wont be disappointed.
Old Jun 11, 2006, 6:05 pm

Programs: United 0, HH Gold
The ES Convention Center in Washington DC has hummus and pita. That's the best I've seen at any ES in the last year or so.

The manager's reception is perfect for a getting a little bit loaded before you go out to dinner ... saving some $$ on drinks.
Old Jun 11, 2006, 6:14 pm

Welcome to Flyertalk naveeny. Generally speaking, my experiences with ES manager's receptions have been similar to what others have posted above. Generally its beer and cheap wine (I remember "Two buck chuck" was one of the selections available at a few ES, to give you an idea of the quality.) I drink bourbon and they usually have Jim Beam or Jack Daniels, so at least with the liquor, they often have at least a few decent quality choices. As far as food goes, I don't recall ever seeing anything more substantial than popcorn, chips & salsa, and pretzels, although I would guess that some properties might have something nicer. I think you would be hard pressed to make a meal out of their offerings, but it does make for a nice little pick-me-up at the end of the afternoon before dinner.
Old Jun 11, 2006, 7:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt, HH, IHG, SPG, AA, WN
Try Homewood Suites if you would like to save on a dinner meal. They have a light meal Monday through Thursdays with things like stew and salad or chile. They also serve drinks like beer and wine.
Old Jun 11, 2006, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I've gotten a little better than pretzels - occasionally wings and vegies and dip. I've made a meal of it once or twice, but I wouldn't live a week that way.

Homewood Suites does a little better - salad, cassaroles, vegies.
Old Jun 11, 2006, 7:45 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
While this probably sounds really pathetic, I have to admit that when I lived at the La Jolla ES for 6 months, I would occasionally take a big breakfast up to my room in the morning and throw it in the fridge for dinner. I know that sound really cheap, but hey, I've had breakfast for dinner at Denny's many times, so why not save a little money once in a while.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 5:15 am

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
In april stopped at the ES secauscus and they had a pasta salad as well as the chips and dip.Also the ES portland who had a reasonable selection of salads ,dips, a hot item and whoopee pie for a desert so sometimes you may be lucky.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by srodr
While this probably sounds really pathetic, I have to admit that when I lived at the La Jolla ES for 6 months, I would occasionally take a big breakfast up to my room in the morning and throw it in the fridge for dinner. I know that sound really cheap, but hey, I've had breakfast for dinner at Denny's many times, so why not save a little money once in a while.

I prefer your situation to the apocryphal airline pilot who would routinely loot the spare toilet paper roll from his hotel rooms.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by srodr
Doesn't sound pathetic to me. Sounds like the best option if there is nothing else available.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 12:48 pm

Programs: United 0, HH Gold
Originally Posted by naveeny
Doesn't sound pathetic to me. Sounds like the best option if there is nothing else available.
Actually it's pretty pathetic... doesn't mean I wouldn't do it, though.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 2:17 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG
Managers Reception

Homewood does have better food offerings but the ones I have stayed at did not offer mixed drinks. I actually stayed at a Hampton that had beer and wings on a Friday check in. I don't know why, and didn't ask.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.