Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Conrad Dublin {IRL}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2002, 9:41 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, HHonors, Marriott Silver
We used a point-stretcher award for a weekend stay last month, and when I booked I asked for a roll-away bed as there were 3 of us in the room.
We checked in and they mentioned that they would bring the bed up shortly...it arrived while we were at dinner, along with a full set of towels and toiletries which I thought was a nice touch. The room was large (although the furnishings seem somewhat dated), judging from the emergency escape plan the largest on the floor.
No mention of breakfast, so I asked at the desk and they said flat out no for Gold. I asked again the next morning and the clerk checked in the back, and then said no since they had given us an upgraded room. Maybe they consider the extra bed or the larger room an upgrade?
We did get 2 bottles of water with turn-down service, although no "fine Irish chocolates" as mentioned on the website. The maid said they discontinued those.
We found the concierge to be helpful in arranging trips, giving directions, and loaning us an umbrella. The desk clerks were efficient but not overly friendly.
Old Dec 20, 2002, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA, Starwood, Hyatt, Starbucks Gold
Did anybody get a teddy bear?
Old Dec 20, 2002, 2:39 pm
Suspended

No teddys seen at at all.
But we did get very nice chocolates every night at the Mount Juliet Conrad.

Mike
Old Dec 21, 2002, 9:48 am

During our award stay at the Conrad Dublin last month, I experienced some of the same problems with no breakfast, no upgrades, inaccurate reservations, etc...

The concierge were very nice though, and seemed laid back. They did give us a box of Irish truffles that were really good.
Old Dec 21, 2002, 12:23 pm

I might go to Dublin.

How is the Location of this property. Also what are other Hilton family options in Dublin?

As they say Location, Location Location are the three most important things.
Old Dec 21, 2002, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP - Lifetime Plat
I also completed a Point Stretcher 4 night stay at the Conrad Dublin in November.

It was raining quite heavily as I walked up to the hotel entrance with suitcase, carry-on and a briefcase. There were three hotel employees standing just inside the entrance and I was offered no assistance whatsoever. Just stares.

Checking in at the desk was uneventful. The rep showed minimal friendliness and simply gave me my card key and room number. I am Gold with HH and assumed I would be given an upgraded room. Apparently I was given a "Superior" room on the 7th floor and was told this is an upgraded room. I found it no bigger or better than your average Marriott or Hilton room in the U.S. I am well aware that rooms throughout Europe tend to be quite small in comparison. I was offered no breakfast vouchers, no chocolates, no complimentary water - Nothing!

The biggest contrast I find in comparison to other FT'ers who have stayed there is that they found the staff to be friendly and helpful. I found the staff to be barely cordial and they did nothing to go out of their way. This is not the service one would expect from a "5 star" hotel. If I had paid the going rate for 4 nights there I would have been very annoyed.

Bottom line - I would not stay there again.
Old Dec 22, 2002, 12:59 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
I would rather stay at the Dublin Hilton which is Executive (until 5-31-03) vs. the Conrad which is Classic. Get a 3 night stay or 2 @ 50K anytime it's available--no PS nor GLON-splitting needed.

------------------
Play the travel game 3 vacations into the future!
Old Jan 22, 2003, 9:03 am

Programs: UA Prem Exec MM Life, Marriott Planinum Life
Conrad Dublin vs Westin Dublin

I am trying to decide between these two properties, both have good reviews on FT. Has anyone stayed at both? Recommendations? Day trips from Dublin?

Thanks.

------------------
Have passport, will travel...
CLD, LAX, LHR, CDG, et.al.
Old Jan 22, 2003, 9:37 am

can't comment on the Hilton, but the Westin is a great hotel.

It's up near the river close to the shops/bars and right on the edge of temple bar.

If you've got any specific questions on the hotel let me know.....probably better asked on the Starwood forum though.
Old Mar 26, 2003, 6:06 pm

Anybody ever get free breakfast as GOLD or DIAMOND at Conrad Dublin

Hi,
I have a brief one night layover in Dublin in May. Was thinking of cashing in some points before they get devalued. I am debating at whether to stay at the Dublin Hilton for 20k points, or Dublin Conrad for 30k. Normally I prefer Conrad's over Hiltons, but I've done a search and read all the comments about both properties and neither one sounds great. Almost universally, people have stated that the Conrad does not provide hhonors benefits and does not give free breakfast to Gold or Diamond. Has anyone ever gotten a free breakfast at the Dublin Conrad? What about at the Dublin Hilton? Does either one have an exec. lounge? Did a search, no mention of exec. lounges at either. No mention of it on the hilton or conrad website either. If you were a diamond vip and had to choose one hotel over the other for only one night, using points, would it be the Conrad or the Hilton in Dublin? Does anyone know which hotel is easier to get to/from the airport in Dublin?

Any help or insight will be greatly appreciated?
Old Mar 26, 2003, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HHonors Gold, Marriot Silver
Hi. I stayed at the Hilton in January '03. Both are far from the airport. Your best bet is to take a cab. As for Gold benefits, I made gold after that stay, so I got none.

The Hilton has no executive floor.

[This message has been edited by Psychocadet (edited 03-26-2003).]
Old Mar 26, 2003, 10:22 pm

My partner and I stayed at the Conrad last summer. I found the location slightly less convenient than the Hilton... but there's not that much in it. Hotel itself was pretty good, although not up to the same standard as other Conrads I've stayed at. From memory I think I was gold (now diamond) and did manage to get upgrade to a very nice (if a little tired) suite AND get breakfast; although getting b'fast required quite a song and dance with the front of house supervisor and duty manager, waving my handy printout from Hilton.com regarding Gold/Diamond benefits. There was an awful lot of muttering going on - they clearly weren't happy, but they decided it was better to give me the d@mn coupons than to take an irate Scotsman to task! To be honest, it wasn't worth the hassle, but I'm afraid it had become a matter of principle for me - I don't like to lose!
So, my advice, FWIW; take a printout of benefits page from the internet (or membership guide) and give it a shot. I'd choose the COnrad over the Hilton again despite my minor fracas over b/fast.
Old Mar 27, 2003, 8:58 am

Three-night paid stay in June 2001. No upgrade, but no problem getting breakfast, either. It was volunteered by the front desk staffer when I checked in. She also apologized for the lack of an upgrade, and gave a reason, to boot.
Old Mar 27, 2003, 9:35 am
JAP
Original Poster

Location: Cork, Ireland. Aer Lingus (in the bin), BA Gold (woo hoo!), EBB Blue, HH Diamond, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Just stayed in Conrad Dublin earlier this week, as Diamond - upgraded to a nice 2 room suite overlooking the Concert Hall opposite. Given full breakfast vouchers when I asked - without problem. However they weren't offered without prompting ...

I would certainly choose the Conrad over the Hilton - both are very close to one another in the centre of Dublin, and are a good taxi ride or bus journey ("Aircoach") from the airport.

Please post any further questions that you might have, and I'll be happy to answer - I have stayed in each property over 20 times over the years ...

Regards,

John P.
Old Mar 27, 2003, 10:41 am

Thank for all your information. JAP, do you know if the bus from the airport to downtown runs in the evening? Do you happen to know the name of the bus and where to pick it up at the airport. I'm scheduled to arrive in Dublin at 8:25 p.m. and want to be able to get to the hotel, hopefully without having to pay an expensive cab fare.

Edited to add: Do any of you kind folks think it would be a good idea for me to e-mail or fax (I want it to be in writing) a letter asking them specifically what kind of benefits a Diamond VIP can expect to receive when staying at the Conrad, such as upgrade, breakfast, etc.?

[This message has been edited by hhonorman (edited 03-27-2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.