Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Virginia Crossings Hotel & Conference Center, Tapestry Collection by Hilton {US-VA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Virginia Crossings Hotel & Conference Center, Tapestry Collection by Hilton {US-VA}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Arrow Virginia Crossings Hotel & Conference Center, Tapestry Collection by Hilton {US-VA}

http://tapestrycollection3.hilton.co...ossings-hotel/

A new addition as of November 2017 so figured I'd start a thread.

I'm a fairly regular visitor to the Richmond area and am very familiar with the area having lived there from 2005-2014. This was previously a Wyndham property (if I recall) and have played golf at the Crossings several times though never stayed. It's a pretty decent location for I-95 roadtrips and is maybe 20mins from RIC. The area just west of the hotel has all the usual fast food places and chains with a couple of local sit down restaurants that aren't half bad though the options at Short Pump/Innsbrook (about 10mins down I-295) are a little more varied and interesting, IMO.

I've booked a stay here for January (in lieu of my typical Hilton Garden Inn/Homewood/Hampton choices in Innsbrook) when I'll be HH Diamond and shall report back.

Very decent rates, I got AARP for $84/night midweek which will keep the person who signs off on my expenses happy!
Old Nov 21, 2017, 1:03 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
I've stayed there three times--twice with a large group in its Wyndham days and then earlier this week on personal travel in its Hilton manifestation. It's quite nice, especially for the price. The buffet breakfast--free for me and mrs. mglvrug since I'm Gold--was very good, with cook-to-order eggs and waffles, plus a wide range of hot and cold choices. The room was fine and the grounds are open and extensive. One of the staff I've come to know indicated that Hilton is going to be spending significant money on renovations, upgrades and marketing in the coming months.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 9:15 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I'll be staying at this property next week for a small conference. After our organizer boasted of picking "a boutique hotel instead of a big chain" (several of our conferences in 2017 have been at Marriotts) I was surprised to call them on the phone and hear a Hilton greeting. Well, that means better opportunity to earn points. I'll post an update soon after my stay.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
So as noted above I was due to stay here and did so last week....my thoughts were rather mixed...

Check-in is in the main building in the top photo, the rooms are in the larger building on the right hand side of the second photo with the breakfast and dining being in the room directly across from it. First impressions were pretty good, automatic doors opened to black and white marble floored reception area but the building with the rooms in it was in real need of renovation. For example the main elevators to the rooms from the parking area are shared service elevators and being wooden inside are severely banged up. The rest of the building felt like it hadn't been renovated since the 1990s. The room itself was really quite dull and characterless and I spent the first 5 minutes plugging all the lights in! DIRECTV in the room which I thought had a very limited selection until I realised most of the channels didn't show on the guide or when using Channel +/-, I had to have the DIRECTV guide open on my laptop and manually plug in the channels. Bathroom was quite small and similar to a Hampton or older HGI.

Breakfast was a buffet across the way in The Glen restaurant and was sufficient but not very impressive. A few hot items such as pork sausage, bacon, grits, with chef for made to order omelettes and waffles plus the usual cold choices. Service was fine on the few times I was there although it was very quiet indeed, never more than half a dozen other guests in there during the 7.45-8.15 window that I was there.

I guess maybe once Hilton have thrown a few shekels at room upgrades then it should be OK. My work in Richmond is in the Innsbrook area and so for me this offered nothing over the HGI that I usually stay at when over there, particularly since I added another 10-15min drive each way to my visits. Of course as a hotel it has more character than your average HGI/Hampton/Homewood box beside the road but I just personally couldn't see myself staying there for my work travel in the area unless the rooms and room building have been upgraded/refreshed.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 9:51 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Stay Report - 6/29-6/30

Location: The hotel is located in the northern suburb of Glen Allen. It's about a 20 minute drive to downtown Richmond and a similar distance to RIC. The hotel is located at the intersection of I-295, I-95 and US 1 so getting around is very easy. Nearby are a number of chain restaurants as well as a Target.

Main building

Building with rooms

Hotel: This is a very different style hotel than I'm used to. As mentioned above the campus consists of three large buildings. The main building houses reception as well as meeting and event space. The building to the left (if you're facing the main building) has the restaurant and bar and more space and the building to the right has the rooms which only has one elevator and waits can be long. Annoyingly, parking is mainly clustered around the building with the rooms and the lot is too small, when I got back at night I ended up parking on the grass. There's also a golf course but I'm not sure it's attached to the hotel. On a positive note, the bar has an outdoor patio and a pool table.

Check In: I was wondering what kind of Diamond recognition I'd get and I ended up very happy. I was given a bag with water and local snacks, explained how breakfast worked and was treated very politely. Also, I'd called earlier to arrange for flowers to be delivered and they confirmed they had been.

Room: Pretty uninspiring. A large bed and large TV and an easy chair and a desk plus a fairly small bathroom with nondescript shower. The room still feels very Wyndham like and obviously hasn't gotten much upkeep.

Breakfast: Breakfast for Golds and Diamonds is a full breakfast buffet with omelet bar. They also had the standard hot items (bacon, sausage, potatoes, grits, oatmeal, pancakes etc.) as well as cold items. It was an above average spread and service in the breakfast area was quite good.

Overall this is a decent hotel if you need to be around Richmond but not downtown. I wouldn't mind coming back.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 5:41 am

Stayed 1 night here with no status and was given a larger corner room on the 5th floor. Overall, the property is very nice and has potential, especially as a host hotel for a small conference. Since the hotel sits near I-295 and I-95, there is considerable road noise that can be heard while in the room.

The property is spread out and consists of 3 separate buildings. To access them, you must walk outside, which is fine on a nice day but obviously not as nice when it's raining or cold. Plenty of free on-site property surrounds the buildings.

The best way to describe the guest rooms is to say "very basic" -- as a previous poster stated, "Wyndham-like." The hotel hasn't been updated since it was a Wyndham, although it looks like Hilton is about to pump some money into it. There is a "coming soon" board posted outside the restaurant which has renderings of the new rooms, along with samples of the finishes and flooring.
Old May 4, 2020, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I had a one night stay here last week while on a moving road trip. Points redemption was low at 19k for the night, which represented 0.5 cpp. In light of the current covid situation, it was explained that breakfast was going to be a very cut down situation. Wound up being just bagels, a toaster, and accompanying jams/cream cheese, etc. They also had coffee and a full complement of juices and sodas in the fridge. Breakfast was served in a room in the main building just down from the reception desk. At the time, they were only using the guest rooms in the Monroe building. I was assigned room 201, and comparing with CMK10's report, it seems the only Hilton-y touch my room saw was a new bed. The red chair in the corner remains and the bathrooms look substantially the same. I also recieved the same welcome gift of peanuts and water, though I was told I could snag a couple diet coke's as well.

I can't imagine the next time I'll need to be in this neck of the woods, but it was good for one night.

Old Mar 21, 2021, 8:54 am

I had an involuntary Richmond-area staycation this Saturday night, and all of the limited-service properties I looked at near Short Pump and Innsbruck, plus the full-service Hilton in Short Pump, were sold out. Seeing hotels sold out is really an encouraging sign, albeit frustrating when trying to book a last-minute stay.

I booked a room at Virginia Crossings for 29k points. It's ok, but I don't feel like I got an experience that much better than an HGI or HP.

I booked on Saturday afternoon and showed up 30 minutes after booking, and the front desk clerk said the property was "nearly full", so I had low expectations about my room. I was given a cavernous room on the 5th floor of the Madison building with no desk because of the roof pitch. Tall ceiling with a ceiling fan, but woefully inadequate lighting for doing any work at night and an undersized TV. As others have mentioned here, the room is "basic". Maybe a touch more personality than an HGI, but only a touch. The lobby and restaurant areas are nicely appointed and with a re-created Williamsburg-ish vibe.

The restaurant and tavern are open although bar service is not available. Diamonds are comped one house drink, which I took back to my room.

The restaurant buffet is open for breakfast. You go through the line and tell the staff what you want and they plate it for you. Social distancing seemed to be generally observed. For the buffet, there is the option of either eating in the restaurant or having them use to-go containers. The Diamond breakfast comp is also extended to ordering off the menu, which I did (and took to my room). I had a made-to-order omelette and a very tasty waffle. It makes me miss the days of full-service hotel breakfasts, and I'm hopeful I'll see those days sooner rather than later. (Personally, I'm just not ready to eat in an indoor hotel restaurant, yet.)m

Mask usage and distancing seemed hit-and-miss, at least compared to the urban hotels (in DC) that I've been frequenting in the past several months.

During my stay, there was only one working elevator in the Madison building, and it is slooooow.

The pool is closed (duh) and I didn't ask about the golf course next door. The monument to JEB Stuart is a few minutes outside of the property, on private land. The house across the street from monument flies a Confederate battle flag. Lots of strip malls within a 5-10 minute drive.

For Richmond-area Hilton stays, my first choice will continue to be Short Pump on the upper end.

Last edited by QuantumMeruit; Mar 21, 2021 at 9:51 am Reason: More details about breakfast; corrected price

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.