Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Seattle {US-WA}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2015, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by SK AAR
I consider staying for a weekend; rates are reasonable during weekends, in particular SUN to MON nights (MVP rates)

Will the EL be open during weekend? (if upgraded to EL floor of course).

If not upgraded, what will the breakfast option(s) be as HH Gold?

Anyone stayed the HGI nearby? How is it compared to the Hilton?
The lounge is open weekends. I can't remember if all Gold's get access to the lounge or not (I sure wouldn't plan on an upgrade as a gold seeing I can't get upgraded as a diamond when suites were showing up as bookable and at least one other diamond has reported staying here a few times and never upgraded). EL is nothing to write home about, in fact you have to ask an attendant for ice (I wish they would give diamonds a full restaurant breakfast instead and just shutter the lounge).

The only real benefit I saw as a diamond at this property was they didn't have an issue giving me a late checkout (which IMO a 4 p.m. should be offered at all Hilton's anyway to be in line with the competition).

Something else to factor in is if you have a car is the parking rates. When I stay here I'm ok without a car. Plenty of places nearby to eat at (I love going to Specialties for breakfast/coffee) and the light rail station is nearby for the airport and Uber/Taxi's are easy to access. If you are there as a tourist the only thing you really need a car for is the Boeing Factory and I would either just do a group tour that includes bus pickup or just rent a car downtown for the day for that trip and just avoid parking.

A couple friends recommend the Hampton but I'm able to get the Seattle Hilton for a similar price, but if the Hampton were to be cheaper I wouldn't hesitate staying there instead.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Parking is sort of a PITA - as garage is not connected to floors directly. You have to take elevator (I haven't found the stairs yet) to the lobby level then walk in the lobby to the hotel elevators.
That is because the garage accepts non-guest parkers.

I have found out that The Arctic Club DoubleTree is available for only USD 10/nt more than Hilton Seattle. I'm considering cancelling my stay at Hilton Seattle in favour of the Arctic Club (based on the reviews on Tripadvisor). Does this make sense/would you do this?
Definitely.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I have found out that The Arctic Club DoubleTree is available for only USD 10/nt more than Hilton Seattle. I'm considering cancelling my stay at Hilton Seattle in favour of the Arctic Club (based on the reviews on Tripadvisor). Does this make sense/would you do this?
Absolutely, without hesitation. Arctic Club is a much nicer building, both are downtown with interesting areas within walking distance (Arctic Club is closer to Pioneer Square, Hilton's closer to Pike Place Market).
Old Sep 17, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, Hyatt - Platinum
I got my mom a room at the Hilton Garden Inn last weekend. She said the breakfast was good (free since I am a Diamond member) and she had no complaints about anything - the place is very new. However the parking is $35 which is a bit crazy IMHO since it's not in the middle of downtown. I live in Seattle so I just dropped her off and parked her car for free by my place. I checked out her room - the view from the Hilton rooms might be a bit more scenic, but overall, I thought the HGI was nice.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 10:50 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Absolutely, without hesitation. Arctic Club is a much nicer building, both are downtown with interesting areas within walking distance (Arctic Club is closer to Pioneer Square, Hilton's closer to Pike Place Market).
Nothing against the Hilton, but the Arctic Club is an exceptional property.

My review: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23561878-post50.html

After 20 stays in the past three years, it continues to be top notch.

Next month, I learned, all the mattresses will be replaced with custom made pillow tops.

The hotel manager is incredibly service focused and this shows in the staff.

I'd put the service level at Fairmont level, which is saying something.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
The HGI isn't exactly "nearby". It's a brand new property with great staff; the breakfast features REAL biscuits and gravy, not re-heated stuff. Its internet speed (no separate high speed as such)
is a bit higher as well.
This is spot on! What a great new property. The rooms are quite big with nice bathrooms too (shower, no bathtub ^)

The breakfast buffet in the restaurant on the lobby floor was the usual for many of the US Hilton properties but with several cooked to order items and a lovely berry parfait. Don't worry if you don't have breakfast vouchers; breakfast is only $13 + tax - what a steal for Seattle!

The location is on Boren Ave/Stewart St so 15 min. walking to Pike Place Market, but very convenient for going out on East Pine St and East Pike St. for a fun night out.

I would highly recommed this property.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 5:54 pm

Anyone stay here recently?

I looked at some of the reviews on here of the exec lounge in early 2015... seems like the reviews are mixed in terms of the quality/offering of the Exec Lounge.

If anyone's stayed here recently, can you comment on the following?
- How's the breakfast in the Exec Lounge?
- How's the evening spread?
- Does the lounge get super-crowded during breakfast hours?
- Is there an espresso machine in the lounge?
- Overall, how does this property compare to Bellevue Hilton in terms of lounge offering?
- Any upgrade for Diamonds? Posters from 2014-15 seemed to indicate this property's not generous with upgrade.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Diamonds get lounge access. Evening reception is the usual suspects: a hot appetizer like egg rolls, along with cheese and crackers, fruit, nuts. House beer and wine are free. Breakfast is okay, hot stuff like bacon and eggs, but can, indeed, be a zoo; if you experience that, Diamonds get a discount for the restaurant if they'd like. They are good about upgrades. There is an espresso machine in the lounge.

Bellevue has a quasi-lounge, with a generous appetizer lounge coupon in the evening and a decent breakfast, though can get crowded at times. It's a sectioned off area of the HHONORS floor rather than an actual "lounge" room.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 10:28 pm

Diamonds get lounge access. Evening reception is the usual suspects: a hot appetizer like egg rolls, along with cheese and crackers, fruit, nuts. House beer and wine are free. Breakfast is okay, hot stuff like bacon and eggs, but can, indeed, be a zoo; if you experience that, Diamonds get a discount for the restaurant if they'd like. They are good about upgrades. There is an espresso machine in the lounge.

Bellevue has a quasi-lounge, with a generous appetizer lounge coupon in the evening and a decent breakfast, though can get crowded at times. It's a sectioned off area of the HHONORS floor rather than an actual "lounge" room.
Thanks for all the info. Do you remember if the Bellevue 'lounge' has an espresso machine?

Trying to decide between Seattle Hilton and Bellevue Hilton for a staycation. Both are similar prices. Lounge offering and room quality (esp bathroom) are the most important factors. I had presumed the room quality would be better in Bellevue due to no upgrade in Seattle based on the 2015 posts... but your experience is different (wrt upgrades in Seattle)?
Old Oct 23, 2016, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
It's my recollection that Bellevue has the machine that will grind beans on demand for each cup, but not espresso (I could be wrong); Seattle lounge has the whole range of offerings.

Both locations treat Diamonds well. Basically, the difference is that Seattle has a "real" lounge where the evening component includes free beer/wine. In contrast, Bellevue gives bar appetizer coupons (I think two!) for the evening, but no free drinks. The appetizers are very good, and two would easily make a decent dinner.

I have seen the Seattle lounge slammed at breakfast once; they opened up extra seating (in the former lounge area), but the food lines were long and it ran out fast. I've never not been able to get a seat at Bellevue at breakfast, although they run out of food when it's busy, too. The hotel is atrium style so their overflow seating is in the corridor area, which has nooks.

If you really need a tie breaking factor, Bellevue rooms are "nicer" than the dated Seattle ones. I don't pay that much attention to bathrooms, sorry.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 10:13 am

Thanks a lot. I really appreciate all the info.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 5:22 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Mini review of Hilton Seattle:

A stunning view from the room towards the ocean, the best feature of this hotel location:

Hilton Seattle | nice view to ocean from 24th floor
by BA_pics, on Flickr

I stayed here again recently for a work conference and although it had been about 7 years since my last time at this hotel, not much seems to have changed IMO. Seattle is a great city though and there is plenty to see and do here.

Verdict: it was okay, the Sheraton and Hyatts are nicer overall, however, the hotel is fine and has some nice points to recommend it. I would stay elsewhere if I had a choice but would stay here if the price was better than competitors or I was using points.

Comments before the pictures:

You can use digital room key here, I didn’t so can’t comment on that.

Apparently upgraded, I was indeed on a high floor (24th floor) which had a lovely view out over the city centre and towards the water (see pics, best selling point of this hotel and room). Otherwise, I can’t tell you what made it an upgraded room unless the bathrobe and water were the extras (not complaining, simply stating fact).

Zoom of Ocean View from 24th floor room:

Hilton Seattle | zoomed view to ocean and ferries moutains in distance
by BA_pics, on Flickr

View towards city centre:

Hilton Seattle | view downtown from 24th floor window
by BA_pics, on Flickr

I stayed as the Hyatt was sold out on the weekend I arrived and so paid cash to stay here which I found steep personally (worse due to the exchange rate right now) at around $ 220 a night before all the ridiculous extra taxes are added as standard here (in any chain). For the money I did not find it a good value. I later moved hotels to the Hyatt and you can see a review of that for comparison on that forum (in a day or two) for the same money per night.

The bathroom is the big detractor in my opinion, the small room division between the sink and vanity area and the toilet and bathtub means that the space you have to sit down and do your business is pathetically small and without joking, you almost have to turn sideways to stand up or ‘clean up’. I am fairly tall at just over 6 foot but by no means a person of size so I found this very poor for a top chain and expensive hotel room in a major city. A fellow traveller also commented on this during a chat and he moved his stay away the following weekend when his wife was coming as well due to the space limitations in the bathroom. Other than that, the room was fine, it is a bit tired and could use a renovation but everything worked and again the view was staggering.

The ‘tight spot’ view into small bathroom:

Hilton Seattle | toilet bathtub shower
by BA_pics, on Flickr

The much more spacious sink/vanity area:

Hilton Seattle | sink vanity separate area
by BA_pics, on Flickr

Check in was excellent, the staff member was quick, friendly and provided a nice diamond welcome with full explanations of benefits, etc…

The check in area is a unique experience as the hotel sits on a corner and you enter to the car rental desks and concierge but no check in…you need to go up a few steps (or ramp for those with luggage) then take an elevator to the reception area. (this definitely causes issues with elevators in peak times) the reception area is well lit (no natural light) and to the one side (right as you exit the elevators) there is the bar and restaurant area. (there is a separate exec lounge on the top floor but I didn’t use it (a long story but nothing to do with the hotel and last time I was here the views and service were good up there).

We ate breakfast once in the restaurant and it was free for diamonds (also the exec lounge option) and was acceptable but nothing special. Service was a mix, excellent from one staff member and poor from another that quite obviously didn’t want to work that day. A good mix of hot and cold items but again only the basics. They were not able to make speciality coffees (a must for me to be of any use in the morning) so I had tea and it was good.

I ate at local cafes or coffee shops the other days I stayed in Seattle (whether here or at the Hyatt) and found them friendlier and a nice way to see a bit of the locals instead of just inside of a conference hall.

I didn’t try the internet so can’t comment on that.

I did like that they had both liquid body wash gel as well as the usual US bar of soap so people could choose. Water pressure and temperature in the shower were good.

Hope this together with the pictures gives those thinking of staying here some thoughts to consider. i am not negative about the place, just realise that there are other options (even the DT here is rated very well so for the same money go there I’d suggest, if staying with Hilton.) It has an excellent location in the city though and on points may be great value, especially if you did use the lounge to keep costs down.

Other Pictures:

View into the room (sorry for poor lighting):

Hilton Seattle | King bed view into room
by BA_pics on Flickr

View back to Entrance:

Hilton Seattle | view back to door
by BA_pics, on Flickr

Wardrobe: (with safe, bathrobes, ironing board, etc…) can’t remember if they had slippers but I believe so ^

Hilton Seattle | wardrobe safe bathrobe
by BA_pics, on Flickr

Mini Fridge with 2 free water bottles:

Hilton Seattle | mini fridge with water
by BA_pics, on Flickr

Coffee Area:

Hilton Seattle | coffee boat area
by BA_pics, on Flickr

End of review. Safe Travels.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Breakfast in the restaurant was free (not challenging you)? The one time I did that, I could swear it was the usual Hilton co-pay ($8 - $10)?

Staff are terrific, but the rooms are quite dated; the joint needs an overhaul (as does the nearby W).
Old Mar 9, 2017, 12:13 pm
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Breakfast in the restaurant was free (not challenging you)? The one time I did that, I could swear it was the usual Hilton co-pay ($8 - $10)?

Staff are terrific, but the rooms are quite dated; the joint needs an overhaul (as does the nearby W).
Hi Points Scrounger, no worries, please do challenge! I'm human (I'm not a bot ) I don't remember being charged an upsell fee to full breakfast but I did pay for a non-resident colleague to eat with me so could have been charged a small fee for mine, although I would usually get worked up about such a thing and remember! So, treat my free breaskfast comment with a grain of salt unless we hear from someone else that can confirm or correct the statement. Apologies if this is incorrect.

thanks for querying it. I'll see if I can access my folio still and update if I can
Old Mar 9, 2017, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Last time I stayed there I was told breakfast could only be taken in the lounge but we all know how Hilton changes their properties like the wind changes direction.

I liked that they had free wine at happy hour in the lounge. Something I found annoying was they didn't have ice out and you had to ask an attendant for it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.