Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton York (UK) {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2009, 9:28 am
obs
Original Poster

Programs: BA executive club,priority club Plat Ambassador, Hilton hhonours Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I stayed at the Hilton York in 2007. The rooms are a bit small and tired, however the lobby area and restaurant are fine. I think the hotel was an old Stakis hotel that hilton took over. The hotel is very centrally located in walking distance of shops, restaurants and other attractions, like the national railway museum. The hotel has limited underground parking, which is a bit of a lottery and requires care getting in and out. I have not stayed out the marriot so cannot help there

Regards

Obs
Old Jan 3, 2009, 10:06 am

I have not stayed in the Marriott, but I was in the York Hilton in July of 2007. I agree with the previous poster that the rooms were small and tired. However, if you are visiting as a tourist, I would stay there again for the location alone. It is in walking distance of everything in the old town. York historic area is not a place that is easy to drive around in or find a place to park. Hotel parking is limited, but we had no trouble getting a place in peak tourist season. We put the car in the hotel car park when we arrived and then did not need it again until we left the town four days later.

Hope this helps!

nonutrix
Old Jun 25, 2013, 9:42 am

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Any recent reviews to this property or comparisons with the Marriott? Looks like no executive lounge, do they do anything special for Golds? Do guest rooms have wifi and if so is it strong? Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 11:32 pm

Programs: HH Diamond BA Blue
I stayed at Hilton York last year and have an upcoming stay later this year.
Booked basic room 5 hours prior to arrival and was upgraded to best available room.
Was given free buffet breakfast and 2 coupons for drinks in the hotel bar (Jim Beans) as there is no executive lounge.
Rooms do have wifi complimentary for golds and diamonds
Sometimes the rates can be very expensive. I guess due to location. Can get very busy when there is a big race meeting at the Knavesmire.

This hotel also has double double rooms.

Car parking in the city centre can be very expensive. However the rail connections are very good with the station situated on the East Coast main line

I cannot speak for the Marriott as I have not stayed there
Old Jun 26, 2013, 12:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat OZ Diamond SK Diamond BA Blue
The Marriott, like the Holiday Inn, is well out of York town on Tadcaster Rd. No issue if you have you're own car, but not walking distance to the attractions of York.

The Hilton doesn't really do anything special for Golds or Diamonds and there is no Exec Lounge, but it is closer to town. There is a new Hampton Inn in York I haven't tried.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 6:15 am

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Would like to stay 2 nights in York. I was able to get a very good rate for one night at Hilton but the following night is totally booked at both Hilton and Hampton. Can anyone suggest a good option walking distance from Hilton to make easy switch for the second night? (we have no car). Thanks.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 11:02 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by fmkgb
Would like to stay 2 nights in York. I was able to get a very good rate for one night at Hilton but the following night is totally booked at both Hilton and Hampton. Can anyone suggest a good option walking distance from Hilton to make easy switch for the second night? (we have no car). Thanks.
Budget dependent in likely price/quality order top to bottom I would suggest the Cedar Court, Best Western Dean Court,Judges Lodgings, Best Western Monkbar, Novotel Centre,Hotel 53, Lady Anne Middletons, Queens Hotel and Park Inn. All are good locations in the city centre. Re transfer I would suggest a taxi, it would cost no more than £5.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by YorkieFlyer
Budget dependent in likely price/quality order top to bottom I would suggest the Cedar Court, Best Western Dean Court,Judges Lodgings, Best Western Monkbar, Novotel Centre,Hotel 53, Lady Anne Middletons, Queens Hotel and Park Inn. All are good locations in the city centre. Re transfer I would suggest a taxi, it would cost no more than £5.
Thank you!
Old Jun 29, 2013, 8:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold HH Diamond
Having stayed at both the Hilton (last visit this morning) and the Hampton, I can say that neither are anything special. Location of both are good, the Hampton is new, well designed and has a fitness room, the Hilton is old and a bit tired, and has not. Staff at both are good though, and the Hilton's breakfast is always a highlight.

Pick your days and you can get very good rates. Am about to book a Sunday night at the Hilton in September for £63. Frankly, at that rate I don't mind the occasional minor drawback.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 4:28 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Bump!

Anybody had any recent experience here?

I have a room booked for April midweek and noticed the Hotel's own car park seems a bit pricey at £18!

Anybody know whether they do anything much for Diamonds, such as comp parking?
Old Feb 18, 2014, 10:02 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by adobbing
Bump!

Anybody had any recent experience here?

I have a room booked for April midweek and noticed the Hotel's own car park seems a bit pricey at £18!

Anybody know whether they do anything much for Diamonds, such as comp parking?

looks like the public car park http://www.york.gov.uk/info/200233/c...24/car_parks/5 opposite is £2 flat rate from 18.00 until midnight and then £2.30 per hour from 08.00

Anybody have any recent reports/ experiences here?
Old Feb 18, 2014, 9:14 pm

Programs: hhonors diamond
There is a small chance I may stay there Thursday night......will post back if I do.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 6:54 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by wizla
There is a small chance I may stay there Thursday night......will post back if I do.
Cheers!
Old Feb 20, 2014, 1:51 am

Cheers!
Sorry mate, it ain't gonna happen........I've got to go to wembley instead.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 10:24 am

Cheers!
Did you go and what did you think???....I may be there Friday night!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.