Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2017, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist

Hilton/American Express have announced two new credit cards with refreshes done to the existing card.....and NO MORE foreign transaction fees!

The Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card ($450 annual fee)

14X Hilton Honors Bonus Points at hotels and resorts in the Hilton portfolio worldwide
7X Hilton Honors Bonus Points on flights booked directly with airlines or amextravel.com, car rentals booked directly from select car rental companies and at U.S. restaurants
3X Hilton Honors Bonus Points on other purchases
Complimentary Hilton Honors Diamond status
One Weekend Night Reward at a hotel or resort in the Hilton portfolio with your new Card and each year of Card Membership
A second Weekend Night Reward at a hotel or resort in the Hilton portfolio after spending $60,000 in purchases on the Card in a calendar year
Unlimited Priority Pass™Lounge passes to ease the airport experience
$250 Airline incidental fee statement credit
$250 Hilton resort statement credit
$100 on-property credit at Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts and Conrad Hotels & Resorts when booking the exclusive Aspire Card package
Access to 24/7 American Express concierge
No foreign transaction fees
$450 annual fee

The Hilton Honors American Express Business Card ($95 annual fee)

12X Hilton Honors Bonus Points at hotels and resorts in the Hilton portfolio worldwide
6X Hilton Honors Bonus Points on U.S. gas stations, wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service producers and U.S. purchases for shipping
6X Hilton Honors Bonus Points on U.S. restaurants, flights booked directly with airlines or amextravel.com, and car rentals booked directly from select car rental companies
3X Hilton Honors Bonus Points on all other eligible purchases
Complimentary Hilton Honors Gold status; Earn Diamond status after spending $40,000 in purchases on the card in a calendar year
One Weekend Night Reward at a hotel or resort in the Hilton portfolio after spending $15,000 in purchases on the Card in a calendar year
A second Weekend Night Reward at a hotel or resort in the Hilton portfolio after spending $60,000 in purchases on the Card in a calendar year
10 free Priority Pass™Lounge passes to ease the airport experience and get work done more easily and comfortably while waiting for a flight
$95 annual fee

The Hilton Honors American Express Ascend Card ($95 annual fee - formerly known as the Surpass card)

The Hilton Surpass Card will be rebranded as Hilton Ascend Card and will include several new benefits.
12X Hilton Honors Bonus Points at hotels and resorts in the Hilton portfolio worldwide
6X Hilton Honors Bonus Points at U.S. supermarkets, U.S. restaurants, and U.S. gas stations
Complimentary Hilton Honors Gold status; Earn Diamond status after spending $40,000 in purchases on the card in a calendar year
One Weekend Night Reward at a hotel or resort in the Hilton portfolio after spending $15,000 in purchases on the card in a calendar year
10 free Priority Pass™Lounge passes to ease the airport experience
$95 annual fee

The Hilton Honors American Express Card (no annual fee):

7X Hilton Honors Bonus Points at hotels and resorts in the Hilton portfolio worldwide
5X Hilton Honors Bonus Points at U.S. supermarkets, U.S. restaurants, and U.S. gas stations
Complimentary Hilton Honors Silver status; Earn Gold status after spending $20,000 in purchases on the Card in a calendar year
No annual fee

Last edited by bcosinteno; Oct 31, 2017 at 10:27 pm
Old Oct 31, 2017, 10:30 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
Depending on how the "Hilton resort statement credit" works Aspire could be a no-brainer over Surpass/Ascend... which means Diamond status could get further dilated.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 11:02 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Now, how will Hilton visa holders translate to the new cards?
Old Oct 31, 2017, 11:02 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond
Yeah, I think the executive lounge is going to get a little more crowded.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 11:03 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond. National Biz Exec. AMX Plat. CSR. Bonvoy Brilliant. Delta Reserve.
Smile

Looks like someone is getting a shiny, new Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 11:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Agree, Aspire could be an attractive upgrade from Surpass. The math seems pretty good if you spend at least one weekend a year at a Hilton resort . . . basically free Diamond status.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 12:24 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
At $95, the Ascend card is worth it just for the 10 Priority Pass lounge passes. They aren't all the best lounges but just about any of them is worth $9.50.

And I'm pretty amazed at all the ways the Aspire offsets the AF! $500-$600 back, plus Diamond, plus Priority Pass!
Old Nov 1, 2017, 12:38 am

So Diamond is $450 a year now.

Old Nov 1, 2017, 12:58 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by Yellowjj
So Diamond is $450 a year now.

Even better - Amex is paying you $50 a year to be Diamond ($450 AF - $250 airline credit - $250 Hilton credit).
Old Nov 1, 2017, 1:13 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by Gig103
Even better - Amex is paying you $50 a year to be Diamond ($450 AF - $250 airline credit - $250 Hilton credit).
Could someone clarify. The $250 airline incidental fee credit - can this be used to pay an airline ticket, or just a baggage fee or a snack on the plane? The $250 Hilton resort credit - does the Hilton hotel have to have "resort" in its name to use this credit? Can the $250 be used for the booking or only for any "resort" charges?
Old Nov 1, 2017, 1:26 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

For someone that earns Diamond the hard way, this is totally unacceptable....sadly I don't have another better fallback hotel chain to go as the have limited properties or horrible "not worth it" effort to earn Elite which seems HHonors is falling into that category....sadly...
Old Nov 1, 2017, 1:56 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Curious if anyone could chime in, as this is potentially a key question:

1. Will these new products including the Ascend and Hilton Honors be considered "New Products" as sign up bonuses go?

2. Will Citi Hilton cardholders be able to keep their Citi accounts? (Grandfathered?) Or will Amex have full rights to the card products, so Citi cards will be transferred to Amex?

3. If Citi cardholders will be converted, will the best course of action be to cancel existing cards so that they do not miss out on the sign up bonus?

4. Existing Amex Surpass and Honors cardholders, would the best course of action be to cancel these cards to be able to get the new sign up bonuses (Brings back to question 1) ?

Any expert on this matter please chime in!!! Not sure how I can tag people but someone who comes to mind is @mia

Last edited by cce5858; Nov 1, 2017 at 2:01 am
Old Nov 1, 2017, 1:59 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
I've got to look into how these Priority Passes work.

I had UA lounge for a long time but gave it up when I started flying Delta... is PP a straight-up pass to get in various lounges, or just a discount / coupon off the entrance fee? Can I bring in a guest, or does my wife need a separate Amex card too for entry?

Also curious about the "resort" credit. One night cert + credit could make this a good go even though initially seems silly steep.

TDM
Old Nov 1, 2017, 2:00 am

Programs: HH Gold, CC Gold
Isn't the "incidental airline" thing not easy to use on the Amex end? I think I read on one of the blogs it runs on the same "rails" as heir other cards.

It's been awhile since I've looked at the platinum card threads, but I recall you had to select the airline before you charged things and there were pretty picky about what was considered eligible. Award taxes didn't count, upgrades didn't count, etc. There was talk of buying airline giftcards, but there was some updates not sure if that changed things.

Found a thread in the Amex section - not sure if they revised this again but..:
Revised terms for 2014:

Quote:
Benefit is available to Consumer and Business Platinum Card® and Centurion® Members only. To receive statement credits of up to $200 a year toward incidental air travel fees, Card Member must enroll and choose a qualifying airline at www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice. Only the Basic Card Member or Authorized Account Manager(s) on the Card Account can enroll and select the qualifying airline. Card Members who have not chosen a qualifying airline will be able to do so at any time. Card Members who have already selected a qualifying airline will be able to change their choice one time each year in January at www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice or by calling the number on the back of the Card. For 2014 only, Card Members may update their airline selection one additional time starting on 1/15/2014 through 2/28/2014 at www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice or by calling the number on the back of the Card. Card Members who do not change their airline selection will remain with their current airline. Statement Credits: Incidental air travel fees must be charged on the enrolled Card Account for the benefit to apply. Purchases made by both the Basic and Additional Card Members on the enrolled Card Account are eligible for statement credits. However, each Card Account is eligible for up to a total of $200 a year in statement credits across all Cards on the Account. Incidental air travel fees must be separate charges from airline ticket charges. Fees not charged by the Card Member's airline of choice (e.g. wireless internet and fees incurred with airline alliance partners) do not qualify for statement credits. Incidental air travel fees charged prior to enrollment in this benefit are not eligible for statement credits. Airline tickets, upgrades, mileage points purchases, mileage points transfer fees, gift cards, duty free purchases, and award tickets are not deemed to be incidental fees. The airline must submit the incidental air travel fees under the appropriate merchant code, industry code, or required service or product identifier for the charge to be identified. Please allow 2-4 weeks after the qualifying incidental air travel fee is charged to your Card Account for statement credit(s) to be posted to the Account. We rely on airlines to submit the correct information on airline transactions, so please call the number on the back of the Card if statement credits have not posted after 4 weeks from the date of purchase. Card Members remain responsible for timely payment of all charges. To be eligible for this benefit, Card Account(s) must be active and not in default at the time of statement credit fulfillment. If a charge for any incidental air travel fee is included in a Pay Over Time feature balance on your Card Account (for example, Sign & Travel), the statement credit associated with that charge will not be applied to that Pay Over Time feature balance. Instead, the statement credit will be applied to your Pay In Full balance. For additional information about this benefit, call the number on the back of your Card.
Not sounding all that great if it mirrors the Platinum card, I rather it was like the CSR where it just takes just about any transit charge so you didn't have to plan and doublecheck in advance.

Really hope it's not just for resorts, rather it was just any hotel (or if one brand even) instead of this resort "type". What is on-property credit? Restaurant/spa/room service stuff? Not the actual room charges? I guess I can spend $100 of that if it'll get credited back.

Great that they finally dropped that fx. Diamond benefits seem a bit better overseas from my limited experience and I mainly use my awards overseas. But not really a huge difference in the states. Rumored Diamond+ may dilute (but who knows) so this current Diamond status could be the new Gold. Free weekend night is great since IHG and Hyatt gives you a free night (though the annual fee are much lower and Hyatt somewhat limited to 1-4 hotels).

So overall more an OK card, not a no-brainer in my eyes. From this news, I'll prob just stick with my surpass/ascend and CSR unless they clarify/loosen what it appears to be pretty strict credits.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 2:03 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Sucks for the non-Americans who do not have access to the Aspire card LOL and have to earn Diamond status through actual stays (who actually does this?)

Last edited by cce5858; Nov 1, 2017 at 3:04 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.