Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2018] Hilton Best Rate Guarantee or BRG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2018] Hilton Best Rate Guarantee or BRG

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2015, 1:27 pm

I just want to follow-up and say that my BRG claim has now been approved after submitting screenshots. In total, the process took right at one week.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 2:04 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club refugee: BA-Br; HH-D
The BRG team deny that a public rate on amex travel exists!!!

I have had a claim bat to and fro over the past 10 days. I asked for supervisor review and received an email today from a supervisor which concluded that the lower rate couldn't be found so matter closed.

However, this is nonsense, since the lower rate can still be found to this very day on the UK amex travel site!! During the emails back and forth the agent also asked me for a screenshot of the hilton.com screen during my booking... what nonsense - surely hilton can keep track of the rates they offer on their own site!

This BRG business is an extremely frustrating joke. Disingenuous ... to say the least.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 9:58 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AS MVP, HH Gold, FPC Premier, Hyatt Diamond, CC Gold, TR Diamond
Followup to Post 1322

My BRG, found on Expedia and several others, was finally approved after 2 initial denials. It took a couple of weeks and numerous emails back and forth, first to Hilton "bestrateresponses" and subsequently to the hotel directly (as it was outside of the U.S.) I am guessing keys to the approval were screen shots not only of the initial screen but also subsequent screens -- and also whatever behind the scenes influence our Honors Rep Erin may have made. Even when initially approved it took followup communication to remind the hotel person that the T&C includes a $50 adjustment to the bill in addition to matching the rate. I am very grateful to anyone who helped move the process along. I strongly suggest that everyone document through screenshots (saved in JPG) of every step of the way up to and including the final booking page. Next time it may be simpler for me to simply book the better rate and cancel the Hilton rate...but I'll reserve final judgement on that based on how the stay goes with room assignment and whether Gold Member privileges make any difference.

Last edited by RoadWarrior707; Feb 10, 2015 at 12:05 am Reason: grammatical cleanup
Old Feb 9, 2015, 10:02 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AS MVP, HH Gold, FPC Premier, Hyatt Diamond, CC Gold, TR Diamond
While I am a novice at the BRG process, I did find these articles quite fascinating. They are more applicable to IHG than Hilton but noteworthy to the overall process. My hope is that Hilton is or will be more ethical and customer oriented...

http://threadtripping.boardingarea.c...pulous-part-1/

http://threadtripping.boardingarea.c...pulous-part-2/

The court's document is 36 pages here:

http://business.cch.com/ald/InreOnlineTravel.pdf

Last edited by RoadWarrior707; Feb 10, 2015 at 12:08 am
Old Feb 10, 2015, 8:47 am
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton

Programs: Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by banffflyr
Thanks. I think what a lot of people here want is clarity on whether or not we should be bothering with email follow ups? Right now it is the only way to submit screenshots, so we don't have much of a choice. If the BRG desk had the same (apparent) 24 hour response standard for emails as they do for the form, this would help level the playing field.

FWIW, entering the weekend with still no response. Frustrating.
Hi banffflyr,

Thanks for your patience. I'm in touch with my team about this and will share any updates I'm provided!

Cheers,
Erin
Old Feb 10, 2015, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by brooding
Hi Erin, I was hoping you could help me in this instance where I claimed a BRG, but it was denied with the agent claiming that the comparison OTA was "opaque" or used "vouchers". I have successfully claimed a BRG using www.hotelopia.com before and I can confirm it is a non voucher site.

The OTA site offers same cancellation terms as the hilton best available rate, and it is much cheaper. It is for the Hilton Doha for 26-27 Mar 2015 (1 night). The rate booked is 1,100 QAR. The OTA rate is ~755 QAR and is still available today. The BRG response is below. I replied again to their response to query it however I have not had a response in 72 hours. I'm seeking your intervention for a resolution.

Looking at this thread there has been a lot of slow responses lately. I do hope you can help resolve the situation.

I also sent a separate email to the Hotel (Hilton Doha) just to request that they would match the rate. They emailed back to me to say just book with the OTA! Wow!

Thanks,
brooding

BRG Response follows:

Thank you for taking the time to submit Our Best Rates Guarantee claim for your stay at our Hilton Doha. I have carefully reviewed your reservation and the information about the lower rate on your claim. The website www.hotelopia.com does not guarantee the booking at the property until a confirmation e-mail and voucher is sent.

The Terms and Conditions of Our Best Rates Guaranteed program state:
You must find a lower publicly available rate (“Lower Rate”) on a non-Hilton Worldwide booking channel (except for "opaque" websites) for the Same Accommodations. "Same Accommodations" means the same room type, at the same hotel, with the same dates and length of stay, same number of guests, same designation as either cancellable or non-cancellable, same advance purchase policies, and the same terms and conditions governing the room rate.
Our Guarantee does not apply to the following:
Rates available on "opaque" websites where the hotel brand and specific hotel are not known until the booking is made (e.g., Priceline.com, Hotwire.com).

I regret to inform you that we are unable to approve this claim. Hotelopia does not confirm the rate and booking immediately; thus, making the website opaque.

Should you require further assistance please reply to this e-mail. Please note that we attempt to answer all e-mails within 72 business hours. We realize that every guest has a choice when traveling and we thank you for making Hilton portfolio of hotels your choice. We look forward to the opportunity to serve your future travel needs.
Originally Posted by diamond club freeloader
I have had a claim bat to and fro over the past 10 days. I asked for supervisor review and received an email today from a supervisor which concluded that the lower rate couldn't be found so matter closed.

However, this is nonsense, since the lower rate can still be found to this very day on the UK amex travel site!! During the emails back and forth the agent also asked me for a screenshot of the hilton.com screen during my booking... what nonsense - surely hilton can keep track of the rates they offer on their own site!

This BRG business is an extremely frustrating joke. Disingenuous ... to say the least.
Hi all,

I'm in touch with my team now about your cases! I will share updates via PM.

Cheers,
Erin
Old Feb 10, 2015, 5:55 pm

Programs: JAL DMD, Hildon DMD, Velocity Plat
Originally Posted by HHonorsRepresentative
Hi all,

I'm in touch with my team now about your cases! I will share updates via PM.

Cheers,
Erin
Hi Erin, just to update you and all on my BRG claim for the Hilton Doha, it was approved today! Thanks Erin!
Old Feb 11, 2015, 3:45 pm

Hilton Warsaw - BRG Denied - help pls from HH Rep

Hi Erin,

I came across the similar problem as mentioned by brooding in post #1336 and hope that you could look also at my case. I have made a booking for Hilton Warsaw (for the 1 night stay from 15 till 16 February 2015) and claimed a BRG based on the lower rate found on www.hotelclub.com. The claim was rejected by Hilton agent who justified his decision by stating that competitor website was “opaque” and used “vouchers”. Both of those are obviously not true as on hotelclub.com you know from the beginning the name of the hotel and room type which you book (as opposed to “opaque” sites like Hotwire). There is also no voucher needed in the process.

Please find below the first response from Hilton representatative ans subsequent additional explanations in later correspondence:

Thank you for taking the time to submit Our Best Rates Guarantee claim for your stay at our Hilton Warsaw Hotel and Convention Centre. I have carefully reviewed your reservation and the information about the lower rate on your claim. The website hotelclub.com requires a voucher at check-in and does not guarantee the booking at the property.

The Terms and Conditions of Our Best Rates Guaranteed program states:

Rates available on "opaque" websites where the hotel brand and specific hotel are not known until the booking is made (e.g., Priceline.com, Hotwire.com).

Discount or negotiated rates not available to the general public, including but not limited to the following rates: membership (e.g., AAA, AARP or Saga), corporate, government, promotional, unpublished, Senior HHonors®, employee, offline wholesale/FIT, pre-paid rates which may include a voucher (including electronic vouchers), group or other specially negotiated rates.

I regret to inform you that we are unable to honor your request due to the website requiring a voucher at check-in and not confirming the rate and booking immediately. We realize that every guest has a choice when traveling and we thank you for making Hilton portfolio of hotels your choice.

We look forward to the opportunity to serve your future travel needs.

As I appealed against this decision stating that hotelclub.com is obviously not an “opaque” website I received the following further email:

Thank you for your email response. The claim was denied due to the website not immediately confirming the booking and requiring a voucher. When reservations are booked with Expedia or Priceline, the guest receives an immediate confirmation on screen. Hotelclub only confirms the booking by email and with a voucher.

1.1. Completing your booking
If the hotel you booked requires payment of the total cost of the booking to be paid upfront, then you will be charged that amount. If the hotel you booked only requires payment of a deposit or part of the total cost of the booking to be paid upfront, then you will only be charged that part and you will be charged the balance of the total cost of the booking at the hotel at the time of your check in or check out. Once the credit card is processed, your confirmation will be e-mailed to you. For non-Australian dollar transactions, your credit card will be charged by HotelClub Limited, an affiliate of HotelClub Pty Ltd.

1.7 Your details
(a) You must submit a valid email address on the reservation form. The hotel reservation voucher will be sent to the email address entered on the booking form. This email address will be used for all future correspondence relating to your booking. HotelClub does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the entry of your email address.
(b) To make a booking request you must correctly complete the booking form on the website. When completing the booking form you must submit valid credit card details of a card you have authorisation to use. By making a booking you authorise HotelClub to pass on credit card details to the hotel where required.

Our terms and conditions state

Discount or negotiated rates not available to the general public, including but not limited to the following rates: membership (e.g., AAA, AARP or Saga), corporate, government, promotional, unpublished, Senior HHonors®, employee, offline wholesale/FIT, pre-paid rates which may include a voucher (including electronic vouchers), group or other specially negotiated rates.
Unfortunately, we cannot honor claims for the website hotelcub.com due to them requiring a voucher and because they do not confirming the reservation immediately. We realize that every guest has a choice when traveling and we thank you for making Hilton portfolio of hotels your choice. We look forward to the opportunity to serve your future travel needs.

As this irritated me I have made an extra effort and reserved a room on Hotelclub.com just to check whether your BRG team reasoning has some merit in it and… surprise, surprise it has not. Hotelclub.com instantly confirmed my reservation and did not issue any “voucher” but just gave me a reservation number. I have explained this again to your BRG team and attached a printout of hotelclub.com confirmation as an ultimate proof that their reasoning was absurd. At that moment I was sure that the claim will finally by approved… to my surprise I received the following response:

Thank you for your email response. Please be assured that we do understand your disappointment; however, in order to maintain the integrity of the Our Best Rates Guarantee program and offer a fair and consistent opportunity to all, only claims that meet the stipulated criteria will be considered. Please be advised that after due consideration, this particular claim has been declined for the previous mentioned reasons and we are no able to take an further action regarding this matter. Needless to say, if you can offer additional information that has not previously been made available to us, please do not hesitate to forward for review. We realize that every guest has a choice when traveling and we hope you grant us the opportunity to serve your future travel needs.

To be honest I lost any faith in your BRG system right now. If your agent is able to totally ignore such an evident proof of his error as an actual confirmation of reservation from the competitor’s website then the program is not working at all. Is there anything more to be done? Is there any higher instance to appeal?

Thanks,
Psobi
Old Feb 11, 2015, 4:52 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond
In my case they denied a claim for a booking that was made in Ł for a UK hotel, where I found a Ł price on a UK site charging a lower price directly in Ł, with identical everything.

It was denied on grounds of claims resulting from currency exchange differences not being valid claims.

Unfortunately they have not pointed out where currecny conversion comes into play here.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by treppenlaeufer
In my case they denied a claim for a booking that was made in Ł for a UK hotel, where I found a Ł price on a UK site charging a lower price directly in Ł, with identical everything.

It was denied on grounds of claims resulting from currency exchange differences not being valid claims.

Unfortunately they have not pointed out where currecny conversion comes into play here.
same story happened to me - both Hilton and OTA charged a price in PLN but the BRG was denied base on "currency exchange fluctuation and/or rounding". I explained to the BRG representative that this is BS as there is no currency exchange involved as both websites charge in the same currency but obviously it did not help as he/she decided 'to ignore' this argument...
Old Feb 13, 2015, 1:55 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club refugee: BA-Br; HH-D
Originally Posted by diamond club freeloader

OK, to be fair to the BRG team - and with a hat tip to Erin - they accepted a subsequent BRG claim based on a cheaper amex travel rate at a different hotel. Perhaps not so disingenuous after all
Not sure that this makes the first decision easy to understand ... but it's good to know that rates on amex travel are claimable in this way!
Old Feb 13, 2015, 2:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
I have just given up on Hilton and use them as a last resort, well just above Best Western or Accor properties.

The BRG process is a game that takes days and days, even when it is obvious that there should be an approved claim.

I almost think that the start their day in Texas will a quota of denials to meet and go for it.

By comparison, my BRG claim with Starwood was answered and approved for an Aloft property within 7 hours. My average with Hilton is 7 days, roughly.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, PC Plat, SPG Platinum, Marriott Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by HHonorsRepresentative
Hi IsleOfMan,

I provided this feedback to my team and received some clarification. We have relaxed elements of the BRG Terms & Conditions to allow more claims to be approved. In particular:
  • The cancellation policy has a 72 hour grace period instead of being exact
  • Membership rates are approved depending on the offered amenities
  • Room type requirements are lax as long as the room rates are the same

Thanks,
Erin
Erin,
Just trying to understand what the first bullet is saying, I could not find any references to it on the BRG link provided above these.
I understand this as:
If Hilton Website has a cancellation policy of 6PM same day and the OTA site has a cancellation policy of (1 day, 2 days or 3 days), then the claim can be considered valid and approved, assuming everything else is identical?
Old Feb 18, 2015, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by nrjanga
Erin,
Just trying to understand what the first bullet is saying, I could not find any references to it on the BRG link provided above these.
I understand this as:
If Hilton Website has a cancellation policy of 6PM same day and the OTA site has a cancellation policy of (1 day, 2 days or 3 days), then the claim can be considered valid and approved, assuming everything else is identical?
Hi nrjanga,

You're correct! As we recently updated our Cancellation Policy, this should no longer be an issue. Of course, we’ll look at any one-off situations that may qualify for an exception.

Cheers,
Erin
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, PC Plat, SPG Platinum, Marriott Plat, HH Gold
Thanks for the follow up!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.