Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2018] Hilton Best Rate Guarantee or BRG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2018] Hilton Best Rate Guarantee or BRG

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2014, 9:10 pm

What happens if the hhonor rate is the best at the moment. Its non-cancelable and non-refundable. Would you take it up?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 9:07 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold, OW Emerald, SIXT Diamond
Originally Posted by ztcheong
What happens if the hhonor rate is the best at the moment. Its non-cancelable and non-refundable. Would you take it up?
If its the best you've seen then definitely take that.

My rationale for booking refundable / full rate bookings is that I'm prepared to continue searching around for Hotels or deals. So if I see a non-refundable rate that is much cheaper or a better deal in another hotel, I can always cancel my 1st booking without penalty.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by wantan
If its the best you've seen then definitely take that.

My rationale for booking refundable / full rate bookings is that I'm prepared to continue searching around for Hotels or deals. So if I see a non-refundable rate that is much cheaper or a better deal in another hotel, I can always cancel my 1st booking without penalty.
Refundable rates are usually more expensive right?
Old Oct 24, 2014, 9:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ztcheong
Refundable rates are usually more expensive right?
yes
Old Oct 29, 2014, 10:56 am
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton

Programs: Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
Hello Erin,

I am aware of that. I will ask my original query again:

Applied for a BRG and got declined with the following in the response:

" I have reviewed your reservation and the information about the lower rate. The lower rate was found on Amoma a non-compliant site. "

(bolded mine)

What exactly does this mean? It is a public facing website that offers the majority of hotels, like any other OTA. It is not hidden behind a log-in and all the prices are available to all

Why is Amoma considered a non-compliant website?
Hi there,

The reason Amoma is a non-compliant site in relation to BRGs is that BRGs are only up for valid review if booked via a Hilton or HHonors website. Please send me a PM if you have any other questions!

Cheers,
Erin
Old Oct 29, 2014, 3:44 pm

Programs: AS; Aeroplan; Hilton (Diamond); Marriott (Platinum);
Erin,

Can you clarify how the BRG works for non-refundable rates? I'd like to submit a challenge for a non-refundable rate from AA.com, but I know I need an existing reservation on Hilton. Do I get a 24 hour grace period from Hilton in order to allow my BRG claim to be processed?

Old Oct 29, 2014, 10:12 pm

I learnt my lesson. Never buy rates that cannot be canceled or refunded.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 5:12 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Last Wednesday, I was looking to book into my second-choice Hilton hotel near our (UK) head office, and the prices looked much higher than normal. Did some searching, and found another UK site offering it much lower - almost half the price!

So, on Wednesday I booked the hotel on Hilton.com, and immediately submitted a Best Rate Guarantee claim online. I had taken a screenshot of the other site, so I included a link to that (no attachments allowed). I also provided some commentary - eg the other site said "Breakfast Included" which Hilton didn't explicitly, but since it's a Hampton everyone gets breakfast.

On Thursday, about 15 hours after I put in the claim, I got an email back denying the claim on the grounds that they couldn't find the same rate. In it, they asked if I had a screenshot of the rate, which I'd already included a link to in the claim! So, I replied including the screenshot (by email so could attach it), and also included the URLs and what to click to get the same rate on the third party site (which doesn't have static URLs). At this point, the third party site still had the lower rate.

Yesterday night, 3 days after my reply, and 4 days after the initial claim, they came back and confirmed the BRG! With the $50 reduction, the rate is now impressively low!

Next time I'll try including the step-by-step instructions for recreating the lower rate on the third party site, rather than just including a link to a screenshot, but given that they didn't follow the link to the screenshot I did include in my claim I'm not sure if it'll work or not...
Old Nov 3, 2014, 7:34 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by HHonorsRepresentative
Hi there,

The reason Amoma is a non-compliant site in relation to BRGs is that BRGs are only up for valid review if booked via a Hilton or HHonors website. Please send me a PM if you have any other questions!

Cheers,
Erin
I really have to assume you are trolling me here with that response. Quite clearly the booking was made via Hilton website, and then the lower rate was found on Amoma (and BRG submitted within the required period).

Anyway, since that was the only issue wrt the BRG not being honored, I have sent you a PM with the booking ref and email used so that you can get the BRG applied to it.

Thanks
Old Nov 3, 2014, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by banffflyr
Erin,

Can you clarify how the BRG works for non-refundable rates? I'd like to submit a challenge for a non-refundable rate from AA.com, but I know I need an existing reservation on Hilton. Do I get a 24 hour grace period from Hilton in order to allow my BRG claim to be processed?...
I have the same question. My BRG claim was rejected due to difference in cancellation policy even the non-refundable rate at Hilton.com is still higher than third party site. I don't want to book nonrefundable rate at Hilton.com before BRG is approved. How does this work? This type of claims work with Hyatt and SPG because you are not required to book a reservation until BRG is approved.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 8:31 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Hi there,

Cheers,
Erin
I am sorry but your response does not add up. Didn't they say they booked via the Hilton site before and just found the lower rate on the Amoma site?
Old Nov 4, 2014, 2:16 am

Programs: Double Platinum all programs (Shh it's a secret level)
Originally Posted by TerryK
I have the same question. My BRG claim was rejected due to difference in cancellation policy even the non-refundable rate at Hilton.com is still higher than third party site. I don't want to book nonrefundable rate at Hilton.com before BRG is approved. How does this work? This type of claims work with Hyatt and SPG because you are not required to book a reservation until BRG is approved.
Ugh...it works when you are not trying to game the system.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RenHoek
Ugh...it works when you are not trying to game the system.
SPG, Marriott and Hyatt allow BRG before booking a nonrefundable rate. BRG on refundable rate seems complicated with three transactions: nonrefundable payment, refund of rate difference after approval and refund of $50 after stay. This assumes no incidentals in overseas properties.

If you consider this as gaming the system, perhaps Hilton BRG is not for me.

Last edited by TerryK; Nov 4, 2014 at 6:44 am
Old Nov 6, 2014, 10:02 am
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton

Programs: Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by TerryK
Hi TerryK,

I'm still working on this - thanks for your patience!

Originally Posted by mcgahat
I am sorry but your response does not add up. Didn't they say they booked via the Hilton site before and just found the lower rate on the Amoma site?
Originally Posted by TinDrum
What a classic (STUPID) response! The OP had booked through the Hilton site and used Amoma as a comparison site since they had a lower rate. Not only are the BRG staff at Hilton quite retarded (or very cunning) to come up with the response that they did, but now for the Hilton FT Rep to come up with this is the icing on the cake.

Hopefully, the OP will come back and let us know what transpired in the end
There seems to have been a bit of confusion on my part regarding the OP's question!

As I relayed to the OP, Amoma is denied/non-compliant because the rate received is a packaged rate without the package (should be sold with airlines, cruise, car rental, etc.).

According to the Best Rate Guarantee Terms & Conditions:

"Our Guarantee does not apply to hotel packages or travel packages which may include hotel, airfare, car rental, food and beverage offers or other similar packages or amenities."

Thanks,
Erin
Old Nov 6, 2014, 10:23 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
As I relayed to the OP...
and for full disclosure I replied with the following:

Hello Erin,

It really does not matter what it "should be sold with", that does not concern the customer. The fact is that it was being sold as is, and was freely available to the general public, again not behind any logins, etc, means that Hilton should honour the BRG. In fact, what you quoted at me in your PM does not count here since it clearly did not include any package (as you stated in your first paragraph).

If Hilton have an issue with Amoma, or any OTA, giving lower rates than Hilton.com then you should be glad of customers highlighting this, rewarding that customer with a very cheap $50 off of the lower rate and then contacting the OTA in question to get that rate removed. This is actually one of the main reasons that hotel chains have a BRG in the first place.

It is highly annoying to have this runaround, when the BRG that was reported in this case saves hilton money overall. Please note that I do not consider this matter in anyway closed and really request that the BRG is applied to this reservation.

Thanks

My first PM to the HHRep just had the booking reference, email address used for the booking and a link to this thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.