Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2012, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by fmkgb
. Next door is a new complex
Would you believe pushing 10 years old?
Old Dec 1, 2012, 9:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Gold, Virgin Silver
I have a room held here for one night in late December and I have an existential debate about whether to change.

The pros:
1) I love Hiltons. Consistently. As a Gold, I always enjoy my Hilton Stays.
2) It's cheap as hell. I think my rate is ~$120, including Uffizi tickets.
3) I'm gold and it's two days after christmas, so my buddy and I will probably get decent room.
4) I want the HH points.

Cons:
1) First time in Florence, one night, and it's far away
2) The reviews really aren't positive.

Thoughts? The real question: short of using 20k SPG points for the Westin, am I going to find a better deal downtown?
Old Dec 1, 2012, 11:12 pm

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by captain_starwood
Cons:
1) First time in Florence, one night, and it's far away
2) The reviews really aren't positive.

Thoughts? The real question: short of using 20k SPG points for the Westin, am I going to find a better deal downtown?
Hi,

1) It is far away but they have the free shuttle into the town center. I always prefer to be in the center but if the rate is convenient and I need the points/stay, it is not a bad option.

2) It is not one of my favorite Hiltons but it is not bad by any means. My only criticism is that the rooms are a bit small.

20k SPG Westin - I am sure that that property is great but I would not burn such a big amount of points vs spending 120 USD, unless you generate more points than you can actually spend.

You may hold the room at the Hilton and wait to see if you find a better deal, but Florence is always a popular destination.

Last edited by more4less; Dec 1, 2012 at 11:21 pm Reason: add comment
Old Dec 2, 2012, 4:42 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by more4less
2) It is not one of my favorite Hiltons but it is not bad by any means. My only criticism is that the rooms are a bit small
As a Diamond I have had good success in getting either one of the corner rooms on the front of the hotel, which are larger, or one of the suites on the back side on the upper floors.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 6:27 am

Programs: Formally TPAbound/Delta Diamond 1MM/Hilton Diamond/Marriott Silver/Priority Club Gold
Recently stayed here 4 nights. If your goal is to use the hotel for sleeping (which is what hubby & I wanted), then stay here. After walking all day & a good night's sleep, this hotel is fine.

The front desk crew is very helpful and gave me great suggestions for finding the right "leather district" for my leather jacket purchases. We also took a wonderful excursion to the Tuscany area for a wonderful wine tasting, olive oil tasting & balsamic vinegar tasting. Highly recommend this excursion. Van picks you up at the hotel & drops you off at the train station to take the hotel van back.

If you don't mind taking the hotel shuttle into the main Florence district, the shuttle is reliable and runs on time.

The Executive Lounge is aesthetically nice; however, the staff is rude and they run you out at closing. Won't even allow you to use the computer. However, the wine & alcohol is free (unlike many Executive Lounges).

We had some difficulty with wifi as well. I had to take the iPad to the lobby to Facetime the family.

Overall, the hotel met my expectations. Based on what I read here on Flyertalk, I knew I wasn't going to experience an amazing stay. I will say I thought the rooms were very sheik and updated. We definitely lived out of our suitcases though.

If your main interest is seeing Florence, then stay here and don't sweat the small stuff.

Enjoy Florence!
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:05 am

Programs: UA 2P (will be 0P next yr), HH Diamond (thank you Surpass Card!)
Originally Posted by babe11
<snip> We also took a wonderful excursion to the Tuscany area for a wonderful wine tasting, olive oil tasting & balsamic vinegar tasting. Highly recommend this excursion. Van picks you up at the hotel & drops you off at the train station to take the hotel van back.
<snip>
We are thinking of staying here for a visit to Florence and also to other parts of Tuscany, the plan being to take one or two day trips to outlying towns / countryside. Can you tell me more about your tour - especially the tour company you used and how you booked it?
Old Feb 24, 2013, 5:24 pm

What's the coffee situation like? Drinkable? what about in the rooms?
Old May 13, 2013, 11:48 pm

Stayed at this hotel recently and it was one of the best stays. As a Gold, not only did I get upgraded with a beautiful city view, but was also given access to executive lounge and free breakfast to my entire family. Staff was friendly and their free shuttle from the train station was quite helpful. (they could use a bigger bus though)
Old Apr 22, 2014, 8:13 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
Is there still a charge here for the pool/ whirlpool?

I have been told its 12 euro per couple, but I thought it was complimentary with diamond?
Old Apr 22, 2014, 8:16 am

No charge last year as a Diamond. It may be free to everyone now, so not sure if its a perk
Old Jul 8, 2014, 1:03 pm

Was told that policy has changed: 8 euros for one person, 12 for two. no exception for diamonds.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 4:15 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
Upgraded to two exec rooms, no corner rooms or suites as diamond. One room smelt of smoke, so moved to exec room with city view. This was done without fuss. hotel good to offer second room half price for kids. No welcome amenity. Breakfast in lounge. It's actually quite easy to get into centre on public transport. No proseco in lounge now.
Overall quite happy, but not amazed. Good views from higher floors, daily water given. Rooms very clean with gowns and slippers.
Found reservations helpful pre stay, and exec host works hard in lounge. I would stay again.

Last edited by Skimanant; Aug 12, 2014 at 4:50 pm
Old Aug 14, 2014, 7:57 am

Programs: UA 2.5MM; HH Diamond; Hyatt Platinum; MR Gold
I stayed at this property last weekend and found the shuttle service quite reasonable. The schedule is as follows:

From the hotel to Viale Filippo Strozzi/Piazzale Montelungo:

08:00
09:30
10:30
11:30
14:15
15:30
17:00
18:30
20:15
22:00

From Piazzale Montelungo to the hotel:

08:45
10:00
11:00
12:00
14:45
16:15
17:45
19:00
20:45
22:30

The actual pickup/dropoff point is directly opposite the Parcheggio Stazione binario 16 on the linked map, on the west side of the Fortezza da Basso. From the train station, follow the eastern-most platform (I believe it's Track 16) all the way to the end and go down the ramp.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?address...fe4690cccc27bf
Old Apr 13, 2015, 1:16 pm

Programs: HHonor Diamond, SPG Plat100, HGP Plat, AF Plat, *A G (A3)
Question Any recent stay experience?

Originally Posted by Skimanant
Upgraded to two exec rooms, no corner rooms or suites as diamond. One room smelt of smoke, so moved to exec room with city view. This was done without fuss. hotel good to offer second room half price for kids. No welcome amenity. Breakfast in lounge. It's actually quite easy to get into centre on public transport. No proseco in lounge now.
Overall quite happy, but not amazed. Good views from higher floors, daily water given. Rooms very clean with gowns and slippers.
Found reservations helpful pre stay, and exec host works hard in lounge. I would stay again.
Any recent stay experience?
I am considering this Hilton for a 1-week stay with a whole family (3 rooms) in summer as Diamond. Will be driving around the region (ie with a car).

Any comment most welcomed!
Old May 25, 2015, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by accidental_tourist
Any recent stay experience?
I am considering this Hilton for a 1-week stay with a whole family (3 rooms) in summer as Diamond. Will be driving around the region (ie with a car).

Any comment most welcomed!
Recently stayed there. Book anything but this hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.