Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Helsinki Strand {FIN}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2003, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Arrow Hilton Helsinki Strand {FIN}

Dear All,
I noticed that there is now a Hilton in helsinki. Has anybody stayed there or has just informationen on this property.
TYIA

Cheers

Thomas
Old Jan 21, 2003, 4:01 pm
JPH

Programs: HHonors Gold, Priorityclub Platinum, SK* Gold, AA Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tcswede:
Dear All,
I noticed that there is now a Hilton in helsinki. Has anybody stayed there or has just informationen on this property.
TYIA
</font>
This hotel used to be Strand Intercontinental Helsinki.

Intercontinental chain still has a nice website covering the hotel:

http://helsinki.finland.intercontine...om/index.shtml

When this hotel was established some ten years ago, it was the most luxurious hotel in town. Although during the past decade there have been new additions to this category (especially hotel Kamp), this is still one of the best-known hotels in Helsinki.

Location: Not the best possible since it is next to Hakaniemi market square. But it has a good access everywhere by public transport, and within walking distance (1 km) from the city centre. Most rooms have a view to the sea, and they have been decorated and furnished in a modern but soft and warm fashion. The restaurants and bars in the building are pretty good and clearly targeted for international business travellers.

[This message has been edited by JPH (edited 01-21-2003).]
Old Jan 8, 2004, 10:46 pm

Arrow Hilton Helsinki Strand {FIN}

Hi, I did a search and found no information. Has anyone ever stayed here before? Is it difficult to get to/from the airport? How does the Hotel treat Diamond members? Is there an exec. lounge? Is this a good hotel? Is it good to use as a base when exploring downtown Helsinki?

Any insight and advice you can provide is greatly appreciated.

I am thinking of traveling there this May.
Old Jan 9, 2004, 5:41 am

Programs: AF, BA, LH, EK, IHG, HH, SPG, Hertz, RCCL
The Hilton in Helsinki used to be the Strand Intercontinental until mid-2003. The hotel is one of the better ones in Helsinki. There is an executive floor and lounge ( upgraded there as a Gold in July 2003). Did not try the lounge breakfast as our rate included full breakfast in the restaurant ( which was very good). The rooms are OK sized and most have water view.
The walk to downtown ( market square, etc...) is about 10-15 minutes and there are several tram and bus line that pass just behind the hotel as well as a Metro stop on the square next to the hotel.
To get to the hotel from the airport the easiest is by taxi ( if 2 or more travelling) or shared airport taxi (per person fare). There is also an airport bus ( cheapest) that goes to the Train station which is a 15 minutes walk ( 2 metro stops) away.

When in Helsinki ( 2-3 times a year), we usually stay at the Kämp Hotel ( SPG Luxury collection) especially for it's location ( right on the main strip leading from the market square), but the Hilton is our second choice when the Kämp is unavailable ( or does not have any promotional prices)

-jani
Old Jan 9, 2004, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
I agree with Jani and point out there is also a regular Helsinki bus at minimal cost from the square 50 metres from the hotel right to the airport - it avoids the changeover at the railway station.

Sorry, I don't remember the number, but I'm sure the hotel and the airport do!
Old Jan 9, 2004, 6:22 am
SST

It was a great hotel when it was the I-C. Enjoy.
Old Jan 9, 2004, 6:31 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
I agree with all the comments. Having stayed at both the Kamp and the Hilton, I enjoy both, but the Hilton is much more the business hotel.
Old Jan 9, 2004, 9:32 am
Original Poster

I have stayed there three times since it became a Hilton.
Once just after the changeover - when they did not recognize Diamond status - and then twice recently when a very excellent service was offered. Was given a front view exec room that came with a handwritten note from the manager, a full bottle of wine, some appetizers, some chocolate, a fruitbowl and a Ittala glass gift (small bowl).

Just great - food at the restaurant is very good - unfortunately lacks a bit of atmosphere.

Cheers

Thomas
Old Jan 9, 2004, 2:17 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
I was there last April, not long after it changed over. I thought it was pretty good. Nice room with views, central enough for me, easy transport options, okay restaurant.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 3:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Update: Was there last week as a Silver.

Extremely friendly, got 1L bottle perrier, box chocolates.

Stayed 2 separate nights.

I usually stay in the Radisson Royal/Plaza...

Not sure if I would go back...price is higher than Raddisson Business Room and location is not as good.

Certainly in Winter a 15min walk is not so fun :-)
Old Nov 23, 2004, 10:13 am

Programs: DL Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IC Platinum, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold
Helsinki Strand

I'll be staying at the Helsinki Strand for 2 nights in a couple of weeks and am wondering what the upgrade chances are as a Gold. Also a search showed one post from October on this hotel, and a few from January. Was wondering is anyone else had anything to add.
Old Nov 23, 2004, 10:45 am

Programs: AF, BA, LH, EK, IHG, HH, SPG, Hertz, RCCL
Been there 4 times since it changed from an Intercontinental to a Hilton. Upgraded each time to the Executive floor as Gold ( the most recent stay being end of July).
Old Nov 23, 2004, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
You could try a search for 'Helsinki' in the InterContinental forum - be aware there were two Intercontis, one became the Hilton Strand, the other became the Continental - both following Hilton's purchase of the Scandic group.

I stayed twice as an I-C Ambassador and enjoyed being upgraded both times.
Old Apr 10, 2005, 1:29 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, PC Plat
Hilton Helsinki Strand report

Hi buddies: My first post as Hhonors gold here.

It is about Hilton Helsinki strand that I´v been in several times.

Good location, great friendly staff.

V.I.P. Registration at lounge. Staying in executive floor provides free wlan and lounge access.

V.I.P. elite members (gold & diamond) respected and often upgraded to exec. floor. Even if not staying in exec. floor, access to club room (lounge)will be provided.

In exec. floor bathtrope, slippers and nice toillet stuff available, including bath salt, relaxing water etc.
In lounge great service, good coffeee (machine grinds real beans, no sucking extract) all day. Also refreshments available at any opening time.

5pm - 10 pm full bar and in coctail time very good hors d´ouvres, including some warm stuff daily.

Overall, great hotel respecting loyal gold & diamond customers in nice location.

GOSBI (Good spirit of business) in everywhere at hotel can be feldt!

Recommended by

MR. tristan_vox

Last edited by tristan vox; Apr 10, 2005 at 1:52 pm
Old Apr 10, 2005, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I think I saw this hotel from a tram passing by a couple of weeks ago. Not sure I agree about the location. It's not exactly very central, kind of on the outer periphery of the central core, located near a canal of some kind. If that's the one then IMHO there are better situated hotels in Helsinki. Good to hear the service was good though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.