Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2006, 8:30 am

Which dates?
Old Dec 20, 2006, 10:26 am

Programs: LANPass Black, TK*G, HHonors Gold
05/01/2007 till 07/01/2007
Old Dec 20, 2006, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Enjoy your stay. Helsinki is quite a city and I'm sure you will enjoy it, especially at that rate. If the Hilton is anywhere near as nice as the Scandic I stayed at earlier this year (and it is probably nicer), you are in for a treat.

Get out to one of the authentic Finnish restaurants and take the boat out to Suomenlinna.
Old Dec 23, 2006, 10:15 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Anyone have Diamond experience at this property? Particularly related to Club upgrades/access? thx
Old Dec 23, 2006, 3:43 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, PC Plat
They treat Diamonds extremely well. If there is availability in clubfloor (7th), you will get upgrade. If you dont get one then according to new rules no acces to club.
But, there is hidden secret. If fully booked they can divide suites in two room. Bedroom and livingroom and provide bed both. You can ask such and then you get club access. Suite livingroom is quite fancy even bed is not very good, it is one of those premium rollaways.

regards TV
Old Dec 23, 2006, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by etch5895
take the boat out to Suomenlinna.
Wonderful in January, brrrrrrr....
Old Dec 23, 2006, 3:57 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Of course, in European date style (really, the "rest of the world" style.) In the US that would likely be read as May 1 - July 1 2007, and I will bet it will be more then. HEL in brisk early January... brrrracing!

Admittedly, €23.75 is brilliant.^

Originally Posted by Shilla
05/01/2007 till 07/01/2007
Old Dec 23, 2006, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Wonderful in January, brrrrrrr....
Just think of it as a brisk, winter cruise. It will give the OP a chance to test all that new cold weather clothing that they got for Christmas.
Old Dec 24, 2006, 2:16 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Too bad it's reported as gone. I was going to be there in January flying between HEL and DEL.
Old Dec 24, 2006, 3:34 am

Programs: LANPass Black, TK*G, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
Of course, in European date style (really, the "rest of the world" style.) In the US that would likely be read as May 1 - July 1 2007, and I will bet it will be more then. HEL in brisk early January... brrrracing!

Admittedly, €23.75 is brilliant.^
Sure, it´s only for two days, not two month (unfortunately ).

Well, I´ve been to Finland once in December - it wasn´t that cold, so I still have hope for January
Old Dec 24, 2006, 12:42 pm

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
Anyone have Diamond experience at this property? Particularly related to Club upgrades/access? thx
Agree that they treat Diamonds extremely well. And also Golds are treated pretty good. Pity that lounge access is no longer guaranteed. Hors d'oeuvres between 6 and 8. Free booze and snacks until 10. Breakfast is ok in the lounge but of course much better downstairs. There is not much to see in the area, but you can walk to the Esplanadi or to the Suomenlinna ferry in about 10 to 15 minutes or alternatively take the tram. This time of the year I think the only restaurant that is open in Suomenlinna is the brewery restaurant by the harbor.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 11:03 am
mtn

Programs: Honors Gold, Marriott Gold
Thumbs down No lounge access for diamonds

Hilton Helsinki Strand used to be my favourite hotel in Helsinki. As I a Hilton HHonors Diamond VIP I used to get access to the Clubroom at the Executive floor even if my room category was not upgraded to executive level.

In February 2006 they changed their lounge access policy. Diamond VIP means nothing for Strand. They allow only guests staying in executive rooms to access the Clubroom. This is extremely annoying.

As a Diamond VIP I sometimes get upgrade, but usually they say "We are sorry, our hotel is fully booked" or "the executive floor is fully booked". They do offer a small bottle of wine, but I am not happy with it. I want access the lounge. In Hilton Hotels in another countries I can do it, but not in Strand.

There are only 31 executive rooms. Once there were executive rooms available according to their internet site but they still did not upgrade me. All I got was a "business class" room at the 6th floor without access to the lounge. I do not consider this an upgrade.

The Clubroom has always been the main reason to stay in Strand. Now I prefer Crowne Plaza (which has a lounge for executive guests) and Kämp.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by mtn
There are only 31 executive rooms. Once there were executive rooms available according to their internet site but they still did not upgrade me. All I got was a "business class" room at the 6th floor without access to the lounge. I do not consider this an upgrade.

The Clubroom has always been the main reason to stay in Strand. Now I prefer Crowne Plaza (which has a lounge for executive guests) and Kämp.
If there are executive rooms available and they do not upgrade or offer lounge access I would open a complaint with the Hilton Guest Assistance team and see how it goes. I would probably ask 10K or 20K points for the “inconvenience”.

I have never stayed at the Kamp but I am not big fan of the CP. I was there couple of weeks ago and their rooms are really small. The lounge is OK but the spread was disappointing.
Old Mar 23, 2007, 3:02 am
WIZ

Programs: LH SEN, AY, AA, FB, HHONORS, PC
Originally Posted by mtn
Hilton Helsinki Strand used to be my favourite hotel in Helsinki. As I a Hilton HHonors Diamond VIP I used to get access to the Clubroom at the Executive floor even if my room category was not upgraded to executive level.

In February 2006 they changed their lounge access policy. Diamond VIP means nothing for Strand. They allow only guests staying in executive rooms to access the Clubroom. This is extremely annoying.

As a Diamond VIP I sometimes get upgrade, but usually they say "We are sorry, our hotel is fully booked" or "the executive floor is fully booked". They do offer a small bottle of wine, but I am not happy with it. I want access the lounge. In Hilton Hotels in another countries I can do it, but not in Strand.

I don't get it. You want to stay at the CP that has exactly the same lounge access policy as the Strand but a worse lounge? That really doesn't make too much sense. I'd understand it if the CP allowed access even if not staying on the executive floor, but they don't. And neither do most of the European Hiltons anymore FYI. According to most posts on FT as I undewrstand it and also according to personal experience, Strand does upgrade until the Exec floor is full. Maybe you insisted on a non smoking room (or at least your profile said so?) and there were only smoking exec rooms available?
Old Mar 23, 2007, 7:22 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, PC Plat
I have good experience. I´m returning guest and have been upgraded every single time been there.

I like staff there a lot and feel that they are ready to do everything to make your stay nice.

As a flyertalk hint: If exec is full, you can ask suite bedroom. Funny but true, in suite bedroom you get lounge access.

In case they are not able to upgrade, Scandic Continental is not bad option (as long they are in same program...), they have nice superior rooms and you get 17 euros voucher for restaurant as a diamond, besides -25% off all prices.

Regards

TV

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.